Working moms - How do you do it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: Working moms - How do you do it?

re: getting out of the house now that she's on food:

1.  you can easily pack baby food that hasn't been opened and one spoon - those can be in your baby bag for whenever they are needed, since they have a long shelf life as long as they aren't opened.

2.  even if your baby is eating food at lunch time every day, it won't kill her to miss that if you are out and it's just too much of a hassle to feed her food - she can either have a bottle or nurse and it will be just FINE to either not have food that day OR to have food later in the day.  Food is to get her used to textures, swallowing, other tastes, etc. - not to fill her up like it is for us (besides, haven't you ever had  a milkshake, frappe or a vanilla latte and called that 'lunch', lol?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Working moms - How do you do it?:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the tangent, but hoping this will lead to even more helpful advice... I've been struggling with getting out of the house with DD.  To be quite frank, I feel like such a failure because I never want to make any plans.  I feel like everyone else goes out on weekends with their LOs, but I get so overwhelmed.  We just got back from a week's vacation and we barely did anything the entire time we were in San Diego.  We went to the zoo on Monday and I actually felt better afterwards because the baby took naps in her stroller and BFing in public was no problem... yet we barely left the house for the rest of the week, besides one trip to the beach.  (DH was sick on the one day we made plans!)  I don't even know what my question is... Part of the problem is that if we go out on weekends, I feel like I didn't get to spend any quality time with DD.  Are other people struggling with similar things?
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    Going out with a baby is a total drag. We never went anywhere with ours, except to playgroup or playspaces, and that was just to wear her out so she'd nap. Once she could walk it became marginally enjoyable to go places with her, and now that she's 2.5 and can converse and understand things it's really fun! Babies are more for snuggling and loving, I think -- toddlers are for FUN. I was lucky because I had mine in the winter so there wasn't the same pressure to go anywhere. In the summer you feel like you  have to constantly be enjoying yourself outdoors or you're a jerk. Wait until next summer. You'll be having a blast!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram - we pretty much do one weekend day with an outing and one without.  I understand the feeling of wanting family time at home.  And, as others said, it gets easier as they get to be bigger.  I mean, then they can actually *play* when you go somewhere, as opposed to just watching.

Kar - I think you're really awesome for talking so openly about depression and helping clarify how it is different from just disliking the structure of your situation.  Your descriptions are extremely good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsJay. Show MrsJay's posts

Don't worry about going out vs. not going out on weekends.  You'll eventually find a what's comfortable with and works for you.  As far as during the week...stay organized and do as much as possible ahead of time.  I used to love my drives to and from work.  It was the ultimate "me" time!  Learn to enjoy the time with the baby and get back to being more of who you were before baby, but with a baby.  (Did I say that right?)  It gets much easier that way.  You are not a bad mom or a bad employee or a bad anything!  The biggest thing in your life has just happened and it takes a while to make it all work.  I had practically no help from my husband and resolved to figure it out on my own.  I stayed in a lot in the beginning and eventually my DD and I got it all down to a science.  We are inseparable and she is amazing.  I got back into my own groove and she followed right along.  It will happen for you.  Just try to relax and give yourself patience and time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Working moms - How do you do it?:
    [QUOTE]Kar - I think you're really awesome for talking so openly about depression and helping clarify how it is different from just disliking the structure of your situation.  Your descriptions are extremely good.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Thanks, med, I'm glad it comes across the way I intend it to.  A non-concerning, healthy sounding vent and one peppered with warning signs of depression really do resemble one another, and I'm glad to know I'm helping make the distinction clearer.

ETA:  Not that I think I'm perfect at detecting the difference, by the way; I'm just sensitive to the signs I had and phrases I used myself when things were such that I needed real help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

For us, it is not a drag to take the baby, but it is more work. Everyone will have different levels of what they do and do not want to do - it is okay to just want to stay home. Some weekends, we have a lazy weekend at home. Some weekends, we go out more - we just take the baby and go to baby-friendly places. Our pool and park are just down the street so we will go there (take the baby into the pool - swimming is a big deal here - or take him on the baby swing they have in the park). Our son likes going out - he perks up when we head to the door for walk (even when it is just to the mailbox or around the block) or car ride. When we go to eat, we always take the baby - he loves watching people and seeing new places (he also loves the grocery store - looking at all the stuff, and loves flirting with the cashiers). We usually plan for a few hours out then come home for solids and napping. He is almost a year but he does not always want a lot of solids (he prefers nursing, or eating/mashing what I am eating and he has been on solids for a good 4-5 months) so I won't worry about feeding on the run - even the few times we tried to feed him his usual favorites, he was too busy watching everything (he would just shove the spoon away and return to whatever he was watching). 

When he was younger and napping a few times a day, we would take the ergo carrier with us and put him into that when we saw he was sleepy, he would just drift into sleep as we walked around or ate with our friends at brunch and we would pull up his hood (in fact, for a while, the ergo would be when he would get the most amount of sleeping during a nap).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh, if you're looking for a quick way to feed solids on the go, those organic pouch foods for kids are great!  I usually make all my own baby food, but I buy some of those to throw in the diaper bag for going out.  You can feed your kid without a spoon!  It's great.  My DS will suck one of those down in no time flat. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Lost - how do you get your DS to suck on those pouches without him squeezing it and the puree squirting everywhere?  We made the mistake of handing one to DD awhile back and she squeezed the pouch pretty hard and it went flying everywhere....including all over her!  I now usually squeeze the puree into a bowl and feed with a spoon, but I would love to be able to have her just suck it out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd think the use of the pouches would have to be actively taught, like the use of a straw.  Just because left to his own devices he made a mess doesn't mean he'll keep making a mess of them after you show him by example how to eat from one and then by helping him use one himself a few times.  I'm sure he'll get the idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes, we have the same problem (I think).  She knows how to suck it out of the pouch (like a straw, as Kar said), but she still squeezes it and it goes everywhere.
    Our current approach is to let her suck out of it while we hold it.  Then hopefully we'll get around to her being able to hold it herself without squeezing it.
    Although I think the actual problem is that she doesn't want to eat the whole thing, and when she's done eating, it's fun to squeeze it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Depending on the dexterity and age of the child, the mom has to participate at some level until the child can operate it by themselves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

did you know that they make a spoon that screws right onto those pouches?  it squeezes into the spoon and you can feed them on the go.. we use it all the time!  so easy when out and about.  I used it in the airport, at the zoo, etc. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

My kid is a champion eater (26lbs at 10 months) so he's not about to waste any food.  He just sucks it out like a straw, but you might be able to put them in those juice box guard things that don't allow kids to squeeze the juice box out?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

I have a 21 month old and a 3 month old so I know how you feel. I have a couple little things to add.

I think you have no idea how much the lack of uninterrupted sleep is affecting you until you get some real sleep. It can be sublte things like being cranky, feeling frazzled, etc.

I find showering at night helps. I get to shower without rushing and my hair isn't wet when I go to work in the a.m..

One more tip- go to bed early!!! Sleep will do you more good than the hour catching up on your TV shows at this point.

I'm still struggling with giving baths to two kids (one in baby tub, one in regular tub) even every-other day. It is really hard. Sometimes it feels like the day is just so long and filled with so many tasks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Soxy - I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing?  I know you don't post that often but hopefully you're still checking in.  I hope that things have improved and that you were able to see your PCP and get some answers.  Wishing you the best!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsw978. Show rsw978's posts

Quit your job and stay home if you can.  That is a choice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

soxy, how are you feeling?