December Preschoolers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

December Preschoolers

Hope everyone had a nice holiday!  It's time to start the new month's thread, but I thought I'd mention there are a couple of recent posts in November if anyone wants to check them out.

I am going to admit something... I might not be that into Christmas this year.  I am trying to get into the spirit, but it's hard, even though I do like the music and decorating a tree, etc.  I've been browsing on amazon whenever I have downtime to try to get excited about giving presents to DD... It's working but only a little!

What are you all planning to get for your LOs?  I think DD's bigger items will be some kind of guitar and high chair for her dolls.  (MIL already got her a crib, so I couldn't boooooo!)

DD (almost 3) is pretty interested in doing big girl things lately, so I'm hoping that will help the potty training to catch on.  She used to pronounce it "goy" but now it almost sounds like girl, so you know she really is growing up :o)  Last night I put her in undies for 1 1/2 hours before bed and she did ask to go on the potty so that was great!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Re: December Preschoolers

DS got completely spoiled at Christmas last year - seriously, it was way in excess and I can't imagine doing that again this year. So this year will be smaller. He's taken pictures of everything he wants at the toy store, so Santa will be working with that list.

I am thinking of getting him an easel this year. We're remodeling our den and DS is helping DH put down the vinyl flooring. The flooring is wrapped in paper that apparently is great for taping to newly painted walls with 25 pieces of scotch tape. I came downstairs to the den and found DS creating "designs" on the papers he'd taped up. The walls needed another coat of paint anyway, but it got me thinking that maybe an easel would be a good choice.

I'm wary of the Melissa & Doug one - I heard it wasn't super sturdy. Does anyone else have a recommendation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Med-for the 10-13 year olds I think you have every right to tell them they need to listen to what your DD says and respect it. Keep it simple "hey guys, DD said she needed space, she'll come play with you when she's ready." that's awesome that she did so well verbalizing her needs!

I'm so frustrated with DS' teachers right now. Apparently DS got into an argument about Santa with another little boy on Monday, it escalated and the two of them were rolling on the ground...Now, we don't do the whole "if you're not good Santa won't bring you presents/Santa brings presents" in our house. Santa is a story, it's fun, we visit him, but presents come from all those who love DS and DD. So DS and the other little boy were arguing that he's real/not real. DS got really worked up that the other little boy wouldn't belive what DS said. And the rest of the day the little boy would tease DS about it to get him worked up. So, I picked DS up from school and his teacher came right over to me to tell me what happened. And the little boy's mother came at the same exact time as me, and I noticed the teacher didn't say anything to her (this was Monday). So, I asked the teacher last night if he said anything to her and his response was "no." So I asked why-both kids were equally to blame. His response: "well, she never asks how his day was you do."  I'm sorry, when kids get into a physical altercation, esp in preschool, both parents should be informed. What good does it do for only one parent to talk to their child (and boy did we talk to DS about it-about respecting other's beliefs and keeping hands to ourselves)?

Fram-we always try and do one bigger gift for the kids, sometimes to share, sometimes not. Last year we got them a toy kitchen so it was for both of them. This year I think we're getting DD a table and chairs for her room, and a little toy laptop (we have a vtech one that I think stinks so I've found a leap frog one I think I like better). DS is harder, his birthday is in Dec so to get him things for his birthday and Christmas gets to be over whelming, I either go way over board or cry the night before realizing I don't have enough for him. But his bigger gift will probably be a lego set.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I find Christmas completely exhausting now. Great attitude, huh? Like you, Fram, I'm trying to get into it, but working full time and dealing with daily life makes Christmas seem like just another thing I have to deal with. It doesn't help that all the gift thinking and buying is done by me.

I am also in the market for a sturdy easel, and one that doesn't take up a ton of room. My MIL got us one at a yard sale and I finally had to put it in the basement because it doesn't fit anywhere. Also thinking of getting one of those cardboard playhouses. Anyone have one of these? Not sure where to look/best one. Otherwise, am just getting little things for the kids. Probably a dolly bathtub set for DD, a couple little toys we don't have for DS. We have so much stuff they already don't play with, it kills me to buy too much more. I'll probably do a bunch of art supplies too, DD is always doing her "projects" and we are often running out of paper and paint.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Poppy, I had a dance place rec in the Novemember thread. Medford, I also gave advice on the 10-13 year old and feel you should let them know that she needs time to warm up and when she's ready she will come over and play with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We just got a hand me down easel that is Crayola.  Seems good.

I am exhausted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Hey Ladies, I don't post very much because I don't have alot to say these days (and now I am going to sound like Debbie Downer - I apologize!)

I thought of the same thing maybe last year, that DD needed an easel - there is a post out there somewhere about it. MissLily noted that it was better to get a vinyl tablecloth for the table than an easel - something about standing making it really easy for them to talk all over the house with paint and messy stuff. She was totally right, a vinyl table cloth has worked really well for us and I'm not tripping over it when it's not in use. She's in her booster while she paints and not moving paint all over the house.

DD is great, we are dealing with potty training and sleeping issues as well, but she's got a great vocabulary - and an uncanny memory for detail. Hope you all have a great holiday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Also, my husband picked up a plastic easel we used outside last summer and it's on our curb in Rowley with a free sign on it if someone wants to "try before you buy."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

We also use a vinel taBlecloth in lieu of easel. My DD is super into art projects so I bought her a paint set with a bunch of different brishes and crayola paints and a ton of stamps from Melissa and Doug. We have fat markers so I got her thinner ones and sparkle crayons. I think she will be excited. 

Poppy I actually just bought a cardboard toy house from Christmas tree shop for DD2. It's one of the ones you can color on. It was cheap - I think $14 or somehere in that range - and I think DD2 will love opening and shutting the doors and windows and DD1 will love coloring on it. And when it's beat up and deatroyed in a few months we can just toss it. 

For the "big" present I think we are going to buy a little trampoline for the playroom. One of those round ones with a handle for one kid to jump on. And then stuff like books, puzzles and slippers. 

I agree my kids have so much stuff already. We actually just organized the playroom and put all the toys back together - ie pretend food with pretend good, Legos with Legos etc and suddenly the kids are playing with all their old toys again. hooray!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I'm so tired too.  We think we're going to get (another) bicycle for DD this year as the big gift.  She got one for her 3rd birthday which she promptly outgrew.  I thought it would extend but it didn't.  It was cheap enough so it's fine.  I'm not sure about second DD.  She's little and we have so little room and so many loving relatives.  I feel like a couple stuffed animals and some books is enough. 

DD is being really difficult lately.  I know it's mostly due to stress from Thanksgiving and lots of schedule upheaval (missing day care over those short weeks and a couple COUSINS sleepovers at Gram and Papa's, plus Hanukkah insanity with ALL the cousins up from Virginia and other places.  She's being a golden good girl with everyone but us, of course.  I think this weekend will be a nice time for her to rest and sleep.  Hopefully.  I'm tired and less patient than I should be too, which isn't helping.  She's doing that thing where she's tired and hungry so she gets all worked up and refuses to eat because she's feelinlg high strung and crazy, then she feels worse, then it's bedtime and she realizes she needs to eat, so then bedtime gets interfered with.  I know it's a lot of stuff that she can't help but I also have to set limits and figure out which limits are fair. sigh.

Anyway, this weekend we'll see how it goes.

Cheers, all. At least Hanukkah's over and I am sort of more than halfway done with gift shopping.  It's just my side of the family to worry about now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, I know they have easels and BIG rolls of paper that fit them at IKEA but I'm not sure about the quality. I believe the price is gloriously IKEAish, like $20 or something like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

we have the easel from Ikea-no complaints from us. though we haven't attached the paper to it for painting. we use the dry erase side. It folds up to only a few inches thick, so it's easy to slip into the closet when we are done.

I'm thinking bean bags for the kids this year. can anyone recommend a good brand? not sure the pottery barn price is worth it (though I do love their stuff).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We do still use our vinyl tablecloth - both on the table and on the floor. It works for cookie decorating and egg decorating and other stuff as well as art projects. We do have a learning tower with an easel and it never gets used. Probably because with two, its almost impossible. But that's a twin thing.

I'm just glad that Thanksgiving is over - what a horrible holiday - hours of cooking for 15 minutes of eating followed by a huge mess to clean up.

I have no idea what to get my 4 1/2 year old b/g twins for Christmas. Totally stressing about it. They have so many toys and never let me get rid of anything. And I feel like time is ticking away on getting all the other presents I have to buy as well. My aged father doesn't shop, so I have to buy stuff from him for the kids and my husband as well. Plus it's DH's birthday a week before Christmas.

All I want is more sleep and a new pair of jeans. How pathetic is that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Sounds like we all need a break.

Thanks for the tablecloth suggestion - I am going to keep that in mind. DS prefers to do his art projects in front of the tv and we did just put a new floor down there, so that would actually be a good thing. And someone mentioned stamps - which DS LOVES (that and stickers).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm glad we're all in it together!  I'm definitely exhausted... didn't have as much patience as usual last week... and would love a new pair of jeans for Xmas :o)  I haven't mentioned it before, but my husband actually moved out several months ago, so it's been a trying year.  Luckily, it's hard to complain about life when you have a happy, healthy child.

I have a nephew who's 4+ and will be starting Kindergarten next fall.  I wanted to get him something educational for Xmas, as I'm not so sure he knows his letters, numbers, etc.  Would something like these puzzles be too young??  Maybe he'd be more likely to use something else?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Mislilly-is there anything the twins will need next year for school? Meaning, how about getting them nice backpacks? Desks? We were thinking of getting DD a table and chair set for her room, but I'm realizing that we'll probably get DS a desk and chair for him so that might be one of his presents and we can move the table and chairs to DD's room. I'm trying to think practically since they'll get spoiled with toys from relatives. This summer I got DS a "study kit" notebook, color pencils, pencil box, pencil sharpener and eraser-and the kid is so thrilled. This is of course assuming they'll go to kindergarten next year.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, I'm really sorry to hear that.  :(  Hope you're doing okay.

For the puzzles, yeah, I'd say those ones are too young.  DD has the letter and number ones of those and they've been old hat since she was 2.  I can't think of any better suggestions right now but if I do I will post...

Winter - thanks for the insight!

I need jeans, too.  Can anyone recommend *magic* jeans???  And, it sounds like we are all struggling with the holidays this year.  For us, it's just too many plans and family obligations.  I finally declined an invite today, but it is hard to say no.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Fram-I'm so sorry to hear that! if you want to go with puzzles (educational ones) i'd try http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-USA-Floor-Puzzle/dp/B000GKAU1I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1386356231&sr=8-6&keywords=puzzles though this is a floor one

My 4 year old has this http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-48-Piece/dp/B000LCD2GQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1386356346&sr=8-9&keywords=melissa+and+doug+puzzles and can easily do it.

In fact- I'd even say most wodden alphabet/numbers puzzles are too young for that age. if you'd want some more appropriate learning tool i'd go with something like http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Scribble-and-Write-Tablet/dp/B00DCWM1IM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386356484&sr=8-3&keywords=leap+frog 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think the holidays are hard on everyone. My DH and I have a small chocolate business with a friend of ours, and pretty much every weekend since the week before Thanksgiving we have been doing craft shows. On the one hand it is great, we are making more at each craft show this year than we did last year, and we have booked a couple of chocolate making parties from the craft shows, but on the other hand, it makes a busy time of year even harder, since all out weekends are booked, we are up super late making chocolates to sell, and we have been passing a sniffly cold around, so it seems like someone is always sick. 

I really want to make Christmas special, but I don't know when I am going to get DD's toys, much less a present for DH. All I want for Christmas is a reliable babysitter - we used to have 2 sitters, but one is never available anymore, and the other flaked out too many times for me to use her again.  

I like the ideas of more crafty types of gifts - DD loves making things. We have the IKEA easel, but it is used more as a display than as a place to make art - DD loves to hang completed pictures on it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - I am so sorry to hear. We are always here to vent to, if need be. Sometimes it can help. I am also always up for getting a drink out.

This is going to sound CRAZY, but I recently bought a pair of skinny jeans (YES! I said it) for a weekend in NYC and I've worn them twice. Both times, EVERYONE has complimented them! My DH loves them, strangers like them, even my MIL complimented them. They are incredibly comfortable (gotta love that stretch) and look good with flats, heels, and boots. I am a size 14 (it is what it is) and not a small person by any means. If I can wear these, many people can wear these. Just wanted to throw it out there! I have always been someone on the hunt for that elusive pair of great jeans, and the ones I buy always fall a touch short of that. I got these at Macy's, at INC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

On the jeans front, I wanted to suggest a style blog that I found on another moms message board: aintnomomjeans.com The writer has lots of recommendations for different types of jeans, at all price points, and different ways to style them.

She often recommends these skinnies: http://www.zappos.com/levis-juniors-535-legging-iced-cap-indigo?zlfid=2 I bought a pair and really like them. The material is really stretchy, but also thick enough not to get VPL, etc. The Levi's also tend to have a higher rise which I like for holding in my still existent mommy pooch. Smile

One caveat with the blog--the writer is just coming out of chemo for breast cancer, so that's another common topic on the blog. If that would be upsetting, you'd probably want to skip it for now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Read this http://www.stevewiens.com/2013/03/12/to-parents-of-small-children-let-me-be-the-one-who-says-it-out-loud/ and thought y'all would appreciate it.

as for jeans...yeah... Skinny ones scare me! But I have a pair of Calvin kleins that I live- though they look best w ballet flats. MisLilly- did you recommend "not your daughters jeans"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies :o)

I am on the hunt for new jeans too!!  I forced myself to buy my first skinny jeans a few months ago.  They seemed cute with flats and no socks over the summer, but now I don't know what to wear with them??  I'm on the hunt for a new pair of boot cut... or whatever is fashionably acceptable these days...

Oh and thank you for the links KAM!  I think I'm going to get my nephew the Leapfrog item you mentioned.  (And I had already got DD that pirate piuzzle!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Fram - so sorry to read about your DH moving out. Sending hugs.

My favorite jeans are "Not Your Daughters Jeans". Really comfy and not too low rise, but not "mom jeans" either.

I also had a great pair of white levis this summer that were Curvy 529 straight leg. But when I bought the blue for winter they had "whiskering" at the crotch - a look I hate, so I send them back.

Still trying to buy presents for everyone while dealing with holiday cards and my very forgetful dad. He lost his ATM card on Sunday so we had to deal with that. I swear, it's always something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

If anyone is on the hunt for decent mittens/gloves, I finally found a good pair at Children's Place for around $6.  I kept findingeither the basic stretchy gloves that aren't really good for snow (and were too big) or huge puffy mittens that were also way too big.  These ones are fleece double layer mittens that are just the right size so that she can still grab things.