Preschoolers - September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Preschoolers - September Updates

Hi everyone!  I am ready for September to be here...

CT, thanks for the thoughts on the daycare drop off.  I did clarify the ratios with our director, and I also read carefully everything you wrote (e.g. some activities like coloring available) and they are doing all those things.  It's just like you said - at least one teacher is usually being taken up by a parent (like me!) and there is usually at least one kid having a tough separation, so that leaves a lot of kids doing their own thing!  Also, there is only one preschool and one pre-K, so some of the kids are older and they seem very big and active to me.

DD is doing okay... I thought she was doing better at daycare, but she had a bad day on Friday.  Her extra special teacher friend left to go to her last semester of school... it's tough.  She was crying that she wanted her teacher and it was pretty much breaking my heart.  She's gotten sort of okay with the other teacher, but not great.  They have subs/floaters last week and this week and then a new person is coming.  Apparently DD loved her on her working interview, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good.  It's just brutal to see her so unhappy.  :(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Re: Preschoolers - September Updates

That is tough, Med! DS had a teacher after a week of being in his new room back in Feb, and he was really sad over it, and he did not know the new teacher as well (she was the toddler I teacher before, but he was not in that daycare for toddler 1 so she was not as familiar to him) - however, in the long run, it worked out better with the new teacher. But it was clear he did not forget his new teacher for a long while - 3 months later, he out of the blue told us how his old teacher was crying once in the classroom. 

DS had his well check today and so that went well until the blood draw (since he had an allergic reaction to bananas as a baby, we are checking if he still would be allergic and if so, how sensitive - especially since we suspect that he has been on occasions given food with banana content). 

He is (finally) pretty much full trained - he does have night time accidents when he is so tired (but he won't consider pullups to go to sleep, and he knows how to take them off), and it is not clear from the nap time accident if he was trying to hold until naptime was over (we don't know if he thought he was not allowed to get up from his cot during night time or not, because there has been times when his teacher noticed he was restless and he had to pee but did not tell them). 

And it is amazing what he will blurt out to strangers. sigh. and it is amusing how everything he learned, good and bad, is attributed to his best friend. What we noticed is when we go to a new playground, he is much more adventurous, and we find him suddenly trying new things at his regular playground that he used to avoid (climbing ladders he used to avoid etc) after these visits to new playgrounds. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Meford,

Rough days will happen (we have them all - believe me, I did NOT want to go to work at 2 weeks being on vacation, this morning was ROUGH!) but think back and see if over a few weeks she has more better days than worse days, that should help you.  is there ANY way you could change her drop off time?  I know this is very hard to do, because you have a job  Smile but if you could get her there later, after the classrooms have split?  OR earlier so she could warm up with fewer kids in the room?  Could your husband do drop off earlier, then you pick up?  Or something....?  just trying to exhaust every possibility.

Was I even 1/2 right in how I read the ratios, etc?  Can they be alone for any part of the day?  I was thinking back - I taught for about 5-7 years in a childcare center, in both toddler and preschool/prek rooms, and I could NOT for the life of me remember whether I was ever alone, or not - I think not, but I simply don't remember. Then I directed a backup center in MA for about 3 or 4 years and do NOT remember if my teachers were ever alone, even in the AM - I was a teaching director, so I woudl be in the classroom sometimes of the day because it was a small program, but still I think I had 2 teachers at each end of the day?  Yikes, I'm losing my marbles!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

cwag - that's cute about the best friend!  And yes, we never know what DD will come out with either.  DD still mentions to most people that DS is just a baby and he can only have milk from mommy's bre@sts.  :)

CT - good ideas!  I am going to try to get her there earlier so there will be fewer kids.  This is a lazy excuse, but I'm just really tired and it's hard to get them both out the door earlier.  DH leaves for work early (takes the bus, so he can't drop off).  But earlier would definitely be better.  After they split would actually be worse, because they go directly into something structured (can't remember if circle time is first or breakfast/snack).  The very, very few times I had trouble with DD at drop off in the toddler room were when we were late and the kids were already at the table.  It was like everyone turned to look at her at once, and she would start crying and didn't want to join the table.

I am thinking of re-starting our communication notebook, because I feel like I don't know what's going on, with pick up so hectic.  The only reason I even knew about the bad day on Friday is that one teacher happened to be inside bringing a kid to the potty while everyone else was playing outside, so she had some peace and quiet to talk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Med-just like us, the kids have bad days too, days that you just wished you stayed in bed.

DS's two best friends started kindergarten this week and now he has no besties in his preschool. I know this will change, but still breaks my heart to think of DS without these guys. One he's been with since he was 3.

So it's been a year since we've take a solid week family vacation-get on a plane and fly somewhere vacation-which is a long time for my brood. So DH and I are talking about where and when. Talking with a grumpy DS this AM I asked him if he could fly anywhere where would he go. His response "I'd fly back to bed." Needless to say today was a tough day back at school.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

OK, your daughter is really shy, medford.  OK, now you know what will help her - to get her there early, I can totally get NOT wanting everyone to turn and look at her as she makes her way to the table. ugh.  Can your husband help at all in the AM?  Get DD dressed?  baby up and dressed so all you have to do is nurse him before getting DD dressed? I know you're doing thsi, but make sure you set out their clothing the night before so there are NO arguments in the AM - if she needs to do this, that's fine, before bed she can put her things out - you do it for baby brother. and decide on what you are wearing, make sure all you need is clean for the outfit you want to wear, etc.  make lunch the night before - husbands can do that, right? 

then you just (ha! "just") need to get them up and out the door with you, also getting up, dressed, fed, hair blown dry, make up on (really? I don't have time for that, honestly - but center directors can go au natural, I'm not sure about people like you, our parents always look so darned turned out)

and why are you so tired? can you work on that, too? can you help the baby to start sleeping better?  get DD to bed earlier so you can all get to bed earlier?  Of course, some of this is that you are a busy working mother of two....  does your mother come to your house those 2 days so at least those days you can sleep later and let her dress and feed the kids in the morning? that would be HEAVEN!

yes, restart the communication book - that would help you to know she is doing better, too.  Or not.  And do encourage them to be honest with you - so often teachers try to couch things in very gentle terms but I find parents reallly want to kknow the truth, as long as teachers aren't too harsh!  I had one parent who said of the 3 infant teachers in her son's room:  if I'm having a hard day and just want the positive, I go to X teacher. If I want the honest to gosh truth, I go to Y teacher.  it was funny, but very true - those 2 teachers balanced each other and their care of the children and parents. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

OR you could set up a twice a week, or at least once a week, conversation with one of the teachers on the phone at a pre-arranged time, like during nap time when the teachers are more able to talk and aren't on their break.  if they have a phone in their room they can use for the 5-8 minute call?  check with the director on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I kind of feel like this thread is my personal sounding board... sorry about that!  CT - yes, we're doing that stuff, and DH is *very* helpful getting everything ready at night.  He just can't really help a lot in the AM because he has to leave early to get the bus.  And honestly I'm not sure why I'm so tired, except to say that DS is only 4 months old.  Many nights I only have to get up to feed him once, but sometimes he cries other times and needs to be re-pacifiered.  He had a bad night a few nights ago (snuffly nose) and it takes me a few days to recover - not as young as I used to be!!  And I have no makeup and no blown dry hair - and I agree that I'm always impressed by how well done up some of the moms look at drop off!  But it's probably 50/50 at our center.

I am going to ask to restart the communication at least once/week.  I'm not sure about how useful that will be with the current teacher - she is fine, but she is not a great observer (allowance for having to watch a million kids at once!  but she still doesn't notice things the same way some of the other teachers do.)  Like she'll tell me, "oh DD cried at such and such time, but I never know what will set her off!"  But the previous teacher *did* know.  And DD doesn't like this teacher at all and complains about it a lot.  This teacher is great in a lot of ways, but she's a mover and a talker and a do-er, not a watcher and listener.  So the info is not as clear.

KAM - I feel for your DS without his buddies!  And I'm also amused by his answer that he'd fly back to bed... smart kid.  :)  Did you decide on vacation?  Sounds like a great plan!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Med, the communication book is a great idea, maybe it will help focus this particular teacher a bit more. Maybe she'll start noticing things. Or hopefully the new teacher starting will be more observant and you and DD can connect with her. It's so hard when you feel you and your child have a need that the teacher can't fulfill.

DD starts her new preschool next week. They had a popsicle party on Tuesday that we all went to. She seemed to like it, didn't want to leave! It's a class of kids her age - all of whom are 2.9 as of Sept 1, but none are 3 yet (separate class for that age group). And it's all girls! Nine of them! I'm a little unsure about that, however DD has never had a real friend in "school" so I'm hopeful that she'll start making connections. We don't really know anyone in town and it would be nice for all of us to make a friend or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy, DS didn't really start to have solid friends until he was 3. Up until 3 I think they really just play next to each other. The "friends" they had before that age from school were the parent's that I connected with at drop off and pick up. I connected with two other mom's from DD's infant room, and and now that all the kids will start in the toddler (2-3 year olds) rooms, us Mom's still chit chat and call the kids friends. The kids don't care, anyone to run around with works for them.

Still haven't decided on a vaca spot, we'll probably do something right after christmas, as DH's company has a shut down and forces everyone to take leave then, so why not take advantage and hop on a plane! I need to pin DH down and see what type of vacation he wants-site seeing or beach. With small kids beach is still easier for us. So now where can we go in Dec that's not too crazy of a flight and still warm...I'm not a huge fan of the carribean, DS would like Mexico-but DH isn't a fan...Costa Rica maybe (totally dreaming here!).

DS is now one of the oldest kids in his preschool room, and yesterday, apparently, took a leadership/helper role (we'll see how long that lasts!). I doubt any older (4.5 year olds) will join the class at this point, but there still is a chance. I'm sure he'll start to connect with the younger kids in his class. His room does age range 3-5.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kam, what is the school doing to meet your son's needs for increased programming, longer books, more challenging work?  Not all day, but can they do 2 circles, one for the "older" kids (you know the ones with better language skills and who can sit for longer books, have more in depth languge discussion abilities?) and the other teacher does circle with the younger kids?  the "rule" in the ECE community is that you need two teachers to do circle - one to read the book and lead the discussion, while the other does all the behavior management (sit down on your bottom, hands in your lap, you can't see? here scoot over this way.... ad nauseum, and I say this with love as a former preschool teacher!) 

But when we had children with such different abilities and development, I did split for circle, and instead of having 20 kids we'd have 10-ish in each group - so MUCH LESS of the behavior management stuff (because, honestly, how can any human being hold a book so that EVERY CHILD CAN see the book at all times, so there is always someone who can't see.... cue the whining or hysteria).  So if we were doing insects as a topic for a few weeks, one teacher would read the very hungry caterpillar while the other teacher would read Farfalline and Marcel ( an aside:  that's a FAB book about metamorphosis, all of you should get it post haste).  Or an Anansi the spider book (LONG... fable) at one group and the very busy spider, or whatever, in the other group.  In the PM we did a group circle so they could all be together, but believe me, they still integrated throughout the rest of the day.

and an adult might plop herself in the language arts (reading/writing) center to challenge the older kids who might be doing the same old thing, or initiate a more challenging set of manipulatives with some kids, and if others joined, that was fine too. 

Your son sounds very bright and you don't want him to be bored in a few months or causing trouble because he's mastered the manipulatives and equipment.  not saying it will happen, but it might. I do love mixed age grouping, it just also has challenges that need to be dealt with (honestly, there are challenges with having one age group in a class, too, as in everyone is 3 yrs old or everyone is 4 yrs old)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Miss lily, how are the kids doing at a long day of school?  I'm so glad that the school district saw the light and you have both kids there all day.  Frankly, even if your daughter doesn't "need" the full day of services, she's still hard of hearing, and it won't kill her to get additional work.  Jeesh!  this is their last year before kindergarten, right?  Do you think you'll keep them in the same classroom for kindergarten or split them (if there are 2 kindergartens in your school)?  There are pros and cons to keeping twins together vs. splitting.

Speaking of twins, wonder how Daisy is doing with her b/g twins?  Oh, and Stefani, she has b/g twins plus a baby, right?  And an older one, too, right?  Or am I mixing a few families up?  (frankly, 4 children sounds like 2 too many for me, but I applaud anyone who has the courage!)Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

CT, I've tried to work with DS' teachers to develop a more challening plan for him this next year. His main teacher agrees that he needs more challenges to keep him out of trouble. she knows from first hand experience what trouble a boy can get into when he's bored in kindergarten. Her own son was advanced and acted out, so all of his teachers thought he needed additional help reading, so the school got him a tutor-she didn't stop them. The following year they tested him and he was reading almost two grades above where he should have been.

I have the definite fear that he will get bored and start acting out-he is a little boy in every sense! So now his buddies are gone, I will reengage his teachers on how they are doing circle time, and what else they are doing to keep him engaged. We also do a lot of work with him at home.

Just put those two books on my amazon wish list! Thanks! Any more suggestions? We need to upgrade the books in the house!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

CT - I have put those books too on our list and will be ordering.

DS is 3 - and in some ways, he is very boy in what he likes to do except that he is usually very calm/mellow (we had one teacher tell us that he can handle being with all boys or all girls). Any book suggestions you have would be awesome - he can sit for 20-30 minutes and follow a long story (for a while, he loved James and the Giant Peach - why DH thought long chapter books at 2.5/3 years was a good idea... and that one and Stuart Little were the only two that DS could handle before DH realized that was not the way to go, and moved now to those Thomas the Tank Engine original books). DS loves those books (I don't know what we will do when we get to the last book of the original 42 books) so I would love recommendations for books that are on the longer side but not too complicated/abstract for a 3 year old.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

On the book topic (love it), what age did you all have your first luck with books with limited illustrations?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Sleep question here: my 2.10 month old has been refusing to go to bed the last 2 nights.  We do the normal routine (bath, pjs, milk, brush teeth, get in bed for stories), but when it's time to turn out the light, she started crying, real hysterics and tears.  The first night, she asked for me, then I went up and she asked for daddy, then finally, I picked her up and held her and she fell asleep on my shoulder.  Woke up as soon as I put her down, so I lay next to her, silently and read MY book, and she fell back asleep.  All this was at 10:30, when she usually is asleep by 8:15. 

Last night, again, did normal routine, and then instead of shutting the light out, I just put down her book and picked up mine, left the light on and read silently next to her.  This time, she was asleep by about 9:15.  Still an hour + past the normal bedtime, but much better. 

She didn't want to be alone, and didn't want to have the light off, but both nights, once she fell asleep, she slept through the night, in her own bed, on her own. 

Any wisdom or suggestions?  I'm hoping it's just a weird phase...normally, after stories, she'll kiss her dad or me good night, roll over, and be out in less than 5 minutes. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

luv - is it possible to ask her why she does not want the lights out? I know sometimes DS can say what the issue is. We got him a great book called The Dark by Lemony Snicket - and that really helped him with the dark of the night - is it that the dark spooks her now? did someone mention monsters/bedbugs? (some kids can freak out when someone says "don't let the bedbugs bite!" We noticed at around 2.10, the same stories suddenly seemed more real to him and even the same shows/movies suddenly will be very different for him. So I wonder if it is same for your DD.

Poppy - For DS, it helped a lot to watch the Thomas shows, which is almost verbatium from the books, and then when he started to read those books (every other page is solid words), a few were already familiar from the shows so he really could get into them and would even act a few out at times. For girls - if they are not into the thomas stories, I wonder if there is anything else like that? I know his classrooms are still heavy in picture books.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Love all the book suggestions, as it seems DS (3 in Oct) is also starting to follow longer books.  Although I love reading the old standbys as he "reads" along with me.  He can finish just about any sentence, and sometimes "reads" the whole sentence correctly when the picture is particuarly telling (especially his Curious George books... his favorites).

Huhm, Luv... that's tough.  I'm hoping for your sake that DS had already gone to bed, so at least you aren't juggling two.  Does she have a nightlight?  Could it be a new fear of the dark due to a bad dream?  Or perhaps she'd like a music machine?  Do you have an ipod with a speaker you could put next to her so she can listen to some soothing music/lullabies, which might help calm her down so you aren't having to sit there too long (although an hour of "free" time to read sounds lovely... however I'd be out like a light next to her!).  My DS still uses the same lullaby machine that was in his crib from day 1.  He puts it on every night - we sing 3-4 songs and say goodnight while he listens to the rest of the music.  It really helps him quiet down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

cwag, I've asked her, but she doesn't have an answer as to why I can't turn out the light.  The first night, she was so hysterical, she really couldn't talk, but I asked in the morning and I asked again last night and the answer was just "because".  And nothing has been off routine for a while...she got two new books that we've been reading, but neither even mentioned the dark, and no new TV shows either. 

We have a nightlight in the bathroom and she can see it from her bed, so it's not totally dark, but I might move one into her room too. 

IPW, it's funny, b/c DS loves his music monkey, and that's what he uses to help fall asleep.  I usually put it on the shorter setting and then he's out.  Even as a baby, music never helped DD fall asleep (she had the dolphin). I have  acouple of books that play 5 minutes of bedtime music...maybe I'll try that tonight if we're still on the sleep strike. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Luv, definitely consider looking into that book The Dark (Lemony Snicket/Jon Klassen). I know it verbalized DS's feelings and helped him deal with the dark. Even if you did not read or mention anything, I found that it seemed like suddenly more abstract concepts are hitting his awareness and with it, new intense emotions. And definitely more aware of what-ifs and such. It was like an on switch - DH and he had been reading the same Thomas books for months and one story that he used read (when one bus got turned into a henhouse after misbehaving and causing a crash) - at first he did not think about what that meant, and then suddenly, one day last month, he started to cry while they read it, and DH was able to pry the answer out - because the bus looked so sad sitting in the field with hens in it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

luv, definitely agree with cwag that it's a developmental stage.  It could be something she's seen before which she now understands in a new way, et cetera.  When my DD was right about that age, she started to get scared of bears and other animals.  She would be asking all the time if bears could come in the house, or what would we do if an elephant went near her, et cetera.  We ended up having to take all the stuffed animals out of her room because they were scary to her.  It's like with the advent of new understanding and new imagination comes new fears.

We didn't want to leave her because she was genuinely scared, but we were also kind of at a loss and needed to go to sleep!  We started leaving her door open and the hall light on, and then we started a "check on" system.  I'd say goodnight and remind her that I'd come back and check on her in one minute if she didn't yell.  And then I'd come back *really* quickly.  Blow her a kiss and leave again.  Repeat.  I'd make the times a little bit longer as we went on, kind of like Ferber but not crying - I wouldn't leave if she were really hysterical.  The idea was to go back even when she was NOT calling for us so that (a) it would reinforce the not yelling, and (b) she would hopefully start to feel comfy and confident that DH and I were nearby and we were still looking over her even though we weren't in the room.

Good luck... it's so hard to deal with sleep problems, and so sad to see them so scared!  We would also talk during the day about bedtime, which may or may not have helped.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Forgive me in advance:  nothing is capitalized as I just can't face it with all the titles of books, there are run-on sentences and this is a long post.  But it's about books, as requested. And I can't resist a plug for a GREAT independent bookstore (yes, they still exist) called Book Ends, in Winchester, MA.  I must hang my head in shame since I only buy books on my kindle, but if YOU buy books from Judy Manzo, I shall feel successful.  the children's book section is very large, wonderful, with a big variety (not all dora the explorer, elmo and other TV books, which I do not consider literature, just kiddie crack, but are very successful and I do know children love them). also they sell lots of adult books, but again, that darn kindle is killing these bookstores!  so go in and just browse, or ask the

another great resource:  the children's librarian at your local library.  they know every book that is new, old, etc. and about anything. so if your child loves the moon, get moon books -  loves trains? get those! 

this is mostly a list of picture books, which are great until kids are 8-10 years old, just have to read longer and more involved ones as they get older. of course, they'll also start to read chapter books eventually, but picture books have such beatiful art as well as language (as long as you're not reading dora the explorer or whatever - that doesn't have great art, lol)

anything by don and audrey wood: napping house, silly sally, king bidgood's in the bathtub and he won't get out (this is great for older kids), and the little mouse, the red ripe strawberrry and the big hungry bear - this is probably my all-time favorite book in the world. I wish they'd keep writing but I don't know of any other books they've written although i'm a bit out of the loop. oh, and get the real picture books, not the board books which have seriously shortened these books. 

jane yolen books: owl moon (so hauntingly beautiful and if you can get it read on CD that's also beautiful.  off we go is great for younger children with less attention span but beautiful art and language. oh! just say Elsie's Bird that she either wrote or illustrated, I've never read that one but I'm always game for a yolen book. and i just saw another, Hush little Horsie. 

David Small is a good author/illustrator (does both or one or the other for various books)

denise fleming writes and illustrates great books

mother, mother, i feel sick send for the doctor quick quick quick is a great book! I had it as a child (so it's old as dirt) and I still have that copy, but I also found they'd republished it so maybe you can still find it. 

go away big green monster!

little old lady who wasn't afraid of anything by linda williams

the little red hen makes a pizza (might want to introduce the more traditional little red hen (you know, gets the wheat, grinds it up, makes it into flour, makes bread, all by herself without help, but others do want to eat it - we've all read it)

gingerbread man story - retold by a million people

jan brett - the mitten is her best one, I think.  and then of course she's done a million books, all look and feel the same to me bec. her art is very distinctive.  the one about the reindeer is a bit different, but the hat is the SAME STORY as the Mitten except, um, for the hat.  The Mitten is a retellling of a traditional story, so you can also get other The Mitten books and compare and contrast the slight differences, which for 4 yr olds is interesting. I'm a bit bitter about how all her books are the SAME and yet she's made it so big in the children's publishing industry. 

So, this is the same book as jan Brett's the mitten, but illustrated differently with a tiny bit difference (woodcutter loses mitten, it's striped): The Woodcutter's Mitten: An Old Tale  by Loek koopmans.

mama, do you love me?  an inuit tale - by barbara joose (and she wrote some others)

Barbara Berger wrote Grandfather Twilight, such a beautiful book, so simple, wonderful book before bed. she's written other books, too

Anansi is a trickster tale from africa (I think?) so there are many stories about that trickster spider!  Gerald McDermott has illustrated some, but so have others. 

the relatives came, by cynthia rylant (and she's written many other great ones, including chapter books when your kids get there)

books written by patricia polacco -she's done lots

Froggy books - some like them, others don't (the art ain't great, but it's not all about the art, either) titles are like froggy goes to school, froggy plays soccer\, froggy goes to bed... you get the picture, there is a book for every like, dislike, fear and thing so some like to read them

one starry night by lauren thompson

the "frances" books are good, Bedtime for Frances by Russell Holmes is one of them but there are a few- probably many of you read these when you were young, but they are still good books. For some reason I like med's daughter would like them, frances is a bit of a worry-wart and she makes up little songs... and someone else has a slow to warm up daughter, too (poppy?) who might like these.  He's also written other books, I just discovered (barnes and noble's website is my go-to) and one looks beautiful: rosie's magic horse. Oh, and he wrote The Mouse and His Child - that might be one to read to older PS's - I think it's a chapter book.

then there's the berenstein bears although I consider those torturous to read, so beware! but boy, they are like crack, kids eat em up. they are "problem" books, so there is one for every issue (baby sister, too much snacks, no bedtime, school issues, blah blah)

angelina ballerina is popular with some kids (mostly girls, as much as I hate to admit that there are "girl" books and "boy" books, ugh).  I think they are formulaic so I'm less impressed but they are beautiful. 

I hate the books, but everyone else in the world loves the Madeline books - stupid little girls lined up in rows, but kids eat it up!

Mouse mess and other books by linnea asplind riley - she also illustrates other books, like the following book: Song of night, it's time to go to bed, written by katherine riley nakamura.

Caps for Sale

the Hungry thing by jan slepian (this is a great book about rhyming, so it's great with 4 yr olds who are starting to like to listen for and think of "all the words that start with b, banana, boy, bike, boot....  this one deals with endings of words, so shmickle sounds like tickle sounds like pickle to me is the refrain of this book - I read this with my 4 yr olds and they then wrote their own "hungry thing" foods he likes...  )

everyone likes rice is an interesting non-fiction book, so is everyone likes bread.

oh, tomie depaola books are great, old tales from italy - strega nona is one. 

Matt Tavares is a wonderful illustrator, if you don't have Twas the Night Before christmas as he illustrated it, please do get it for your christmas eve nightly reading, it's so beautiful!

he's written and illustrated Zachary's Ball if you have a baseball fan in the house.  Oh! and Jack and the Beanstalk, too, looks beautiful, I'll have to check it out - and he's done other books, too, he's been busy!

Mrs. Biddlebox, by Linda smith is simply wonderful!  very different art for a children's book.

Farmer Duck

books by Leo Lionni: Frederick, Swimmy, and others I can't remember.

books written by eve bunting, including: Flower Garden,  Big Bear's Little Boat (about growing out of things, a great one when you are having a new baby arrive, but also about getting bigger, growing out of things, but there are new things for you as you get bigger), then there's the companion to that book, Big Bear's Big Boat, which I've not read. and there are more,  - look her up on barnes and noble.  she's written chapter books when your kids to that stage, too.

you do read the typical new england books, that are really good:  Blueberries for Sal, make Way for ducklings, and other books by by McCloskey, right?  these older books are very long, as was the style a long time ago, so they are good for older kids with an attention span - john burningham is in that same style - long but great! Oh, remember Lentil?  and the other Sal book about losing a tooth?

rooster can't cock-a-doodle do (don't know this, but sounds good)

the jacket I wear in the snow - told using rebuses (you know, having the picture instead of the word), it's a cool book!  I'm sure your kids' schools will use this book in winter time or if they are doing a theme on clothing, etc. 

Mr. Gumpy's Outing (and a few other Mr. gumpy books) by John Burningham.  he is a very famous children's book author from long ago, but his books are still in print because they are classics and there are some really great ones! Cannonball Simp is a great one, so is Courtney. 

another classic author:  Willliam Steig - wrote Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

BOOKS THAT FEATURE AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN:  http://als.lib.wi.us/AACList.html is a link to children's literature featuring black children, which I think is important for both black and white children to be exposed to. I know 3 on the list: amazing grace, aunt flossie's hats, the talking eggs but others I'm not familiar with.

authors who feature black children:

irene smalls (jonathan and his mommy, jonathan and his daddy)

Flower Garden, by eve bunting

tales by uncle lester by julius lester - fables from the african american culture

books by jerry pinkney - he also illustrates other books.  he did a little red hen that's probably beautiful and would be interesting to read with the pizza one.  (it's just fun to read the 'same' story told in different ways, and illustrates that there's no one right way....)

BOOKS THAT FEATURE ASIAN CHILDREN:

chih-yuan chen wrote two books I know: On my way to buy eggs (which I really like), and guji-guji (don't remember much about that one, to be honest)

hush, a thai lullaby (so incredibly beautiful, it's a must own)

In the snow and then another: at the beach both by huy voun lee - these are books that feature writing using chinese characters, you'll just have to look at one to know what I mean.  OH! lee has written other books I just discovered, wow!  check them out!

here is a link by the San Francisco public library of books featuring asian children of different backgrounds and nationalities:  http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000154101

finally, a link for read-alouds (not picture books) like Charlotte's Web, etc.:  (My Father's Dragon is on this list, I guess I should just read the book!)   http://www.childrens-books-and-reading.com/read-aloud-books.html

OK, I could go on and on (and went to consult my children's book shelf and discovered that one i was trying to remember must be at the center, along with probably a million other books, better get them back...)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

luv, have the shadows or natural light in the room changed recently due to the earlier sunset?  I hate hate hate to admit it, but the days are getting shorter.  It could be darker in her room at bedtime than she is used to; the shadows could be darker or different shapes or stranger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

CT-Thank you!

One book DS loves Abiyoyo by Pete Seeger. http://www.amazon.com/Abiyoyo-Pete-Seeger/dp/0689718101 

And he love Amelia Bedelia books. If only I could get the kids to sit through the napping house-one of my favorite books!

My most favorite book growing up was I Am A Giant By Ivan Sherman-and I've only seen copies for way more than I'm willing to spend-one copy I found was for $127!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Amelia Bedelia had me laughing so hard when I was a child that my mother would tuck me in with hiccups every night (oddly enough my son has the same affliction; too much laughing gives us hiccups).  Today it is still a fun memory I share with my mom when we are together - "heat up a can of soup please" and she puts the can in the pot! :-)