"morning" sickness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: "morning" sickness

I think it's hard because most doctors don't want to see you until you are about 10 weeks along, when most of the morning sickness usually has passed.

I had very bad morning sickness (pretty much same as kiwi described). If you find you have lost weight, like 5-10 lbs. contact your OB and let them know there is a problem.

I assumed my MS was bad, but common and didn't tell them. Instead, I found myself in the hospital weeks 12 and 13 due to dehydration and lost 17 lbs. my first trimester. I'll worry for a while if the lack of absorbed nutrients did any damage to my daughters brain development - but so far, she's great.

I agree with everyone about the empty stomach, once it's empty it starts a miserable cycle of feeling horrible that is hard to break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

*bump*  And I apologize in advance for the TMI. 

I, like lil Sprout, thought I was one of the lucky ones with only very mild m/s symptoms.  I still haven't thrown up, but my mild queasiness has turned into moderate queasiness today, and I have an upset tummy.  I have been in the bathroom 5 times today, and each time, I've gone #2.  Not sure what's going on there, since I thought I should expect constipation, not increased BM's.  I feel better in the bathroom, leaning over with my head down, but every time, I've had to go a little bit.  I feel a little better afterward, but about an hour later, it's time again. 

Did anyone else experience this?  I'm not sure if the queasiness is true m/s, or just some sort of digestive issue.  But today I have been feeling sluggish, tired, and generally icky.  My stomach is churny and growly, and I try to eat (since that usually helps my queasiness), but my body is resisting and I feel like I have to choke the food down.  I've been working on a  PB&J sandwich for over an hour. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Jennifyr, for what it's worth, my morning sickness never got worse than it was in my initial post (way back then, wow!) and I also never got constipation (even though I also anticipated it - maybe a day or two here or there, but never the problems that I've heard others have).  (Knocking on wood!  I still have 6 weeks left!)

"Sluggish, tired, and generally icky" also would describe how I felt for those few weeks, and then it cleared up magically en route to the 2nd trimester.  Bagels, lemonade, and hard candies really got me through.  What about one of those super protein Odwalla drinks?  Might be easier to get down than solid food and at least provides protein/energy...

Hope the tummy grumblies go away! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Jennifyr, I hope your m/s stays with just the general queasiness.  Weeks 7-10 were a bit tough for me, but that is barely anything compared to some ladies.  I agree with Lil that "sluggish, tired, and generally icky" sound just about right.  And I'd venture to guess that the general queasiness is pg related nausea.  Fwiw, I spent the greater part of 2 weeks at work in the bathroom and I am pretty sure nobody noticed anything.

Eat what you can get down, and small quantities were key for me.  What I was able to stand varied from week to week, but I relied on ginger ale, crackers, and bread and cheese sandwiches.  I know Lil had the advice of mint life savers, which were fabulous for 1 day and since then I have put the bag away in a drawer where I can't smell them.  It's weird.  I threw up all fruits and vegetables, so I really didn't bother until my body was craving them.  Week 10 onwards has been pretty good, so hang in there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

....and the puking has begun!  Luckily, I hadn't eaten anything in a while because I wasn't feeling well. I am also running a slight fever and just got the shivers and teeth chatters, so drank a glass of juice to give me some sugars and hydration.  Back up it came.  Oddly, I feel much better now with the juice out and a handful of saltine crackers in. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I had m/s from around 8 weeks until 19 weeks. It was a lot of nausea, dry heaves, overactive gag reflex and some actual vomiting. I also got a lot of migraines that would make me vomit. It wasn't the worst thing ever, I know a lot of women have it much worse, but even though most of the time I didn't feel absolutely horrible, I never felt good either. I found that very draining. Especially as it was tough to do my job (teaching) as enthusiastically as usual, it was even worse that I didn't tell my students until I was past that point, so I couldn't even expect them to have sympathy or understanding.
    Strangely enough, one of the best remedies for my was sipping water from a straw. If I felt a wave a nausea coming on, if I could sit and sip my water in time, I could usually calm it down and keep it from getting.

Kar - I never knew that about migraines - I've always gotten them!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hmm, Jenn - dehydration can cause a wee fever, so be careful and try to get some liquids down! Maybe some coconut water?  (I'm totally on that train, whether it actually works or not...! Although it's expensive, so maybe you won't want to risk throwing it up!)  And hopefully it's not a bug! 

Itsallnew - haha, I also had to get rid of my lifesavers after my m/s was gone...  I couldn't stand the sight of them!!  I think I gave them away at work.  I keep finding them in pockets, bags, etc. though and they make me cringe! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I had jolly rancher hard candies and they were incredibly helpful.  Other than that, I just ate a lot of crackers and matzoh and so on, all in very small quantities.  And granny smith apples, for some reason. 

I have been over the morning sickness for a while--it was really only terrible for a few weeks--but now I'm having awful, awful headaches, sometimes with some nausea (though the nausea seems to improve with food).  Any thoughts? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: "morning" sickness:
    [QUOTE]....and the puking has begun!  Luckily, I hadn't eaten anything in a while because I wasn't feeling well. I am also running a slight fever and just got the shivers and teeth chatters, so drank a glass of juice to give me some sugars and hydration.  Back up it came.  Oddly, I feel much better now with the juice out and a handful of saltine crackers in. 
    Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]

Ironically, not having eaten in awhile might have triggered the puking.  I've had MANY friends who said that if they didn't do a little bit of almost constant munching (even if they didn't feel like it) they got sick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

For hydration when I had m/s, I swore by O Water. It's electrolyte water, but completely unsweetened (the sugar in gatorade, lemonade, etc. would make me more nauseous).

Also, try and eat a little protein with every snack--cheese, Greek yogurt, almonds, etc. The protein always helped to settle my stomach and keep the rumblies at bay for a longer period of time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I swore by Vitamin Water too. In fact, for about 4 weeks during the first trimester I lived only on Vitamin water, toast with a very light spread of PB and cheese sandwiches.   My sicknes/quesiness would appear any time of day. Some days there would be npthing, the next day I would go two stops on the T and have to get off to be sick.

At about 16 weeks the MS stopped, almost instantaneously and has not returned (knock on wood).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Regardless of the research - my mom had terrible morning sickness and was hospitalized with both me and my sister and no migranes on her side of the family.  I haven't had any morning sickness with either of my pregnancies.  You never can tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Ice water was how I was able to drink water.  I am a huge water drinker (that's all I usually drink) and I couldn't get it down unless it was in a big cup of ice.  It's weird because I am always cold and usually am fine with regular water.  But, the body does weird stuff in pg as we've all discovered ;o)  Try to keep yourself hydrated as best you can!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Seems like Tuesday may have been an anomoly (knock on wood).  I think it might have been a stomach bug or something, rather than m/s.  Or maybe a stomach bug that exacerbated the m/s symptoms.  I woke up Wednesday feeling great and was back to just very mild queasiness that tends to go away as soon as I eat a snack or drink some water.  Same thing so far today. 

I'm hoping that it doesn't return!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Phew!!  Hope it stays that way!