Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Baby Names

How are you or did you and your partner choose a name?! DH and I have gone back and forth so much and we just can not agree on anything. I would like to name it after my father if it is a boy, but he doesn't like the name. I can't stand any of the girl names his likes. I know we will eventually agree with something we both love, but how did you all come up with names?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Baby Names

We used family names for both boys. DS#1 is named after my father and DS#2 after DH's favorite uncle who passed away the year before DS#2 was born.

When we were discussing names before we knew the genders, there was lots of back and forth and many vetoes. Once we knew what we were having, we settled on names pretty quickly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kiwi, I figure it will be a lot easier when we find out the gender in three weeks. That way we can rule out a whole gender.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I hereby bequeath you my favorite names, Caroline and Daniel, to you since I'm not going to use them!  Another favorite is Laura Elizabeth - that would be naming the baby after Laura (Elizabeth) Ingalls Wilder - I was a HUGE fan in elementary school. 

It must be hard because names bring up so much emotions and we all have connotations with names.... sometimes not liking someone in elementary school can ruin a whole name forever - I know it did for me!

One of the fathers of a new baby is Benjamin and he uses the whole name...  I love the name but growing up one of our dogs was named Benjamin and when I look at this father all I think about is a very handsome golden retriever....  so I guess I couldn't name my kids Benjamin??? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Another thought about using family names, picking up on one of CTDC's points--I think it has to be OK for the other person to veto a family name if they don't like it even though there might be a very emotional reason for wanting to use the name. We ran into two instances with our #2. When we were still batting around girl ideas before we knew the gender, DH really wanted to use his mother's name. It was complicated by the fact that she sadly passed away 6 months after we got married AND that DS#1 was already named after my father (which was DH's idea, btw, not mine). In theory, it would have been a lovely thing to do, but I really don't like the name (it's old-fashioned and not in a good way). Not liking the name was in no way a reflection of my feelings about my MIL; I adored her. BUT, I also didn't think it was fair to be "guilted" into a name I didn't like just because it was an important family name.

The same applied after we found out #2 was a boy. I liked the idea of naming him after a cousin who had recently died of brain cancer at a young age. DH said that the name reminded him of this real jerk he knew in school and that he couldn't get past that. So, we nixed that idea. Again, it wasn't a reflection of how DH felt about my cousin or our relationship. He just didn't like the name--period.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]Kiwi, I figure it will be a lot easier when we find out the gender in three weeks. That way we can rule out a whole gender.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

This is partly what made me change my mind on wanting to know the sex. At first I really didn't want to find out, then DH convinced me eventually, saying since I'm such a planner and all, etc.

But anyways, we've had a boy name picked out for a long time, way before I got pregnant. It's one of the few names we agreed on; we found it just by looking at websites of baby names.

Of course now that we're having a girl, each of us has 4-6 names we really like, and only 3 of them overlap. I'm not total crazy about any of them though, so we are still at a standstill.

For resources we used websites, as well as the online family tree that DH made. It seriously has thousands of people on it, between both of our sides, so we have lots of names to look at! We got 2 of our girl names from that. And we already settled on a middle name.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure you've thought of this solution, but what if you use family names that are disliked as a middle name and something you can both agree sounds nice as a first name.  I have a friend whose middle name is Elwood because of that very issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I have always felt very strongly that if I am carrying a child for 9 months then he/she will have the same last name as me and there is no room for compromise on the issue. I also preferred not to change my name when I got married (although not a deal-breaker) and of course DH felt that his child should have his last name. We made the deal before we got married that if I take his last name, then I would have naming rights on any future children. Since they will have his family's last name, this only seems fair.

We have not discussed any specifics and definitely will not until we can comfortably believe this is a viable pregnancy. Obviously DH and I will discuss preferences and I wouldn't choose something that he hates or totally ignore something that he really loves, but at the end of the day I have the final decision.

ETA: I think this decision is probably for the best because the names that DH comes up with are along the lines of Magnus and Gertrude. No offense if those are anyone's favorite names, but they are not really on my short list!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My cousin's husband's favorite boy's name was Zane.  Honest to goodness.  Thankfully, she "won" - their son's name is James.  Like cici said, I hope no one is offended by my utter distaste for that one!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Naming I found to be the hardest - way harder then I ever thought.  We bucked family tradition and went with naming ds after my father who is deceased and not using my dh's first name as ds's first name (dh is the 4th with it).  Not a popular choice with certain family members though my fil and mil were fine with it or at least did not tell us they were not fine with it - love them.  Now with the second we are already being asked if the second will have dh's name - nope!  We used dh's name as ds's middle name.  I have a friend who did not want a jr but it can be their only so she used her husband's name as first but calls him by his middle name. 
    We came up with a few rules and try to stick with them -such as no past relationships, pets etc.  We occasionally will talk about it, write down the names we like (dont know the gender and wont find out) and then drop the subject for a while.  When we come back to the list some have grown on us and some get x'ed.  With our first had he been a girl we had about 5 different options and combos - with none that really stuck.  Whereas we knew if it was a boy...my only strong recommendation is not share those you both agree on with others as it is hard enough to find common ground between the two of you never mind then having it blown up by a well meaning friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

we did the same dance for a long time- and DS wound up being the "4th". turns out DH didn't want to "put his foot down" but really, really wanted to do that. Do you have a sense of whether there is a name DH really likes and is just "having the conversation?"

oh- and since there are 3 geneartions often in my house at the same time, he has a nickname-  a name I loved. so it all worked out. poor kid is going to be one of those in elementary school who never recognizes his "real" name, but anyway.

good luck- this is really hard. we have already struggled with number 2 (because of the 4th thing, and the fact my first name starts with the same letter, we are debating having the next child be the ONLY one with different initials... but i don't love the choices.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We have already agreed that my fathers name will be the middle name if it is a boy. We actually have two girl names we both like, but I'm not in love with them. I don't think DH understands when I say "I don't think that name is strong enough for me...I really want to love it."

He loves this one boy name, that I do like, but again I am not in love. I have also heard of people waiting until the baby gets here to see what they look like.

We will of course come up with something we both love, but I like reading all the stories of how others have picked names.

Oh, and I have suggested making our sone a Jr., but he does not want that, either!

ETA: CT-DC, my dads name is Daniel, so I LOVE your favorite boy name!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Love baby names posts!  There are a bunch of others if you look in the archives.

AFM, when I was pg with DD we didn't find out the gender.  I totally knew what name I wanted if it was a girl and DH agreed.  Easy!  I thought I was having a boy though and we couldn't decide on a boys name!  Luckily though I had a girl.  Whew.  She's Elizabeth and I love it because it's classic and you can make so many nicknames out of it.  

So with #2 we found out the gender ahead of time - a boy!  We were up in the air with names for a long time, but about 2 weeks before he was born, I started going crazy pregnant lady and I made DH and I decide on a name.  I had a couple in mind, and I also looked on the internet for good sibling names for Elizabeth.  I mean, you can't really have an Elizabeth and Blue Ivy or something like that...  Hehe.. We wound up going with William (also a family name).  Which I also just love for the same reasons as Elizabeth.  

Announcing it was a bit hairy because my BFF had always wanted that name if she had a son.  But she's single and always says she doesn't want kids. So I went with it and held my breath.  She was POed for a bit, but got over it.

Good luck with your decision!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Trouble, Elizabeth is a great name :) William, too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

We had a girls name picked out for years before we even married, Sophia Blessing (blessing is a family surname name, and she is such a miracle we thought it was appropriate).

We didn't know what we were having, our chosen names were Sophie or Charlie and in the weeks leading up to DD's birth it seemed we heard the name Sophia or Sophie everywhere we went! In those last days I had second thoughts, and when she was born and the midwife said "what's her name?" I said "I have no idea!" My husband was shocked!

We started from scratch a few hours after she was born took a long look at her and came up with three names that resonated with us, all family names - Lillian, Louise/Louisa or Charlotte (yup, love the old lady names!) The three of us slept on it in our hospital room, and in the middle of the night my husband woke up and said "Lillian Louise" and DD opened her eyes and looked right at him.

We probably continued to call her Sophie once in a while for about 4 weeks afterwards. Now I am so happy we named her the way we did, with her right with us. I feel like she told us what her name was, rather than the other way around. I also feel like her name has some flexibility. For now, we call her Lulu. I am sure she will come to a point where she doesn't like that - so she can be Lillian, Lily or Louise.

I do wish I had been able to add a Mary in their someplace. Most women in my family are mary something or something mary (Mary Ann or Margaret Mary), but my husband insisted it was "too religious."

My advice, don't paint the name on the wall until you can look your baby in the eye! I cannot imagine calling her Sophia now!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

There are some really good resources for finding names...I like the SS lists the best, since you can see a names most popular year (I think mine was 1924!) and also can see the top 100 for every year going back to the late 1800s. 

We always knew what our boy name would be - after my dad and his grandfather - and that is still the case for #2.  Girls' names are just harder I think...we picked DD's middle name first, which is my middle name, my mom's first name and my mil's middle name, so covered lots of bases...and we would list first names over and over.  Ended up with a pretty popular name (Madeleine) but one that is still very traditional, and with the more traditional spelling...I've liked the name since Madeleine Albright was secretary of state!!! 

Now thinking about #2 we're back to the drawing board on girls' names. So back to the SS lists and to "The Baby Naming Wizard" to help!   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

[QUOTE]Trouble, Elizabeth is a great name :) William, too!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]
     Duh!  Your name must be Elizabeth!!!  Your parents have excellent taste :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

When we found out we were pregnant with DD1 but before we knew her gender, DH and I got to the point where we knew exactly what we'd name a boy but every girl name we liked was in use by a close family member ( I love love love Elizabeth but my SIL used it) and I dislike having multiple people still alive in the same family with the same name.  I find it confusing.  I really wanted to use my grandmother's name, Kathryn, but my older sister also wanted to use it and was due 10 days after me.  So Kathryn was out for DD1. So when we found out DD1 was a girl, we had a mini panic before settling on her name, a totally random, found by going page by page through the baby name book together, don't know anyone else with it name.

With the twins, We tweaked the original boys name and by then my sister had had a girl and not used Kathryn which I felt voided her ownership.  :-) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Most older women have a Mary somewhere because it was tradition (and in Catholic Church, canon law until 1973) that you had to have at least one saint's name.  So if you wanted to name your kid, say Bonnie or Brooke or Alice you had to put in a Mary or Ann or Marie in there.  If you didn't the pastor would do it for you. 

If you've got two last names, how about Murgatroid Smith (husband's last name) Jones (your last name) just no hyphens?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

DH and I decided on our girls name about two years ago.  We've kept it a secret ever since.  We've yet to waiver on that name so I'm pretty positive it will stick.  For a boys name we had decided on Jackson back when we were dating.  Now everyone in the world is naming their boys Jackson so that's out.  We discuss boys names every now and then but have one that we keep coming back to so I would assume that will be our boys name when the time comes.

We aren't finding out the gender and we haven't shared our names with anyone.  It's driving our friends and family crazy but I like it better this way.  We have a lot of opinionated people in our family and I didn't want anyone to ruin our choices.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

[QUOTE] We wound up going with William (also a family name). 
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

Trouble--our DS#2 is William, too. :) My only worry with it was that people would think we were doing it in response to all the William and Kate hoopla last year.

Do you use a nickname? We don't. We thought for a long time about using Liam, but then decided that we should name him that if that's what we wanted to call him. Turns out that we prefered William to Liam.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE] If you've got two last names, how about Murgatroid Smith (husband's last name) Jones (your last name) just no hyphens?
    Posted by purplecow89[/QUOTE]

This is actually pretty common in my family, with the mom's maiden name as the middle name of the first born. It's probably what I/we will choose for a middle name.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I always liked two names.  One of the most common boys names ever and Felicia for a girl.  My ex happens to have this common boys name and we decided that our son would be a junior.  I do not call him the nick name to this name.  He also loved the name Felicia and had we had a girl she would have been Felicia Marie.  Marie is my and my mom's middle name and also was the name of his mother that passed away many years ago. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

clc, we aren't telling any of our family or friends the name, either. I don't want everyone's opinion and it is nice to have some sort of surprise.

For boys we both like Colin.

He likes Theodore (Teddy), I'm not huge on it.

We both like Bailey and Heather for a girl (but my mom would totally call her Heatha) I am also people think that the name Bailey is too "cutsey"

He likes Charlotte for a girl, I like it, but my boss had a baby 6 months ago and named her Charlotte. I have this weird thing about picking my own name...I dunno.

This is really a lot harder than we had to name our dog!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Names :  Duh!  Your name must be Elizabeth!!!  Your parents have excellent taste :)
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

Yep :) Don't be surprised if/when she becomes very adamant on what she wants her nickname to be. Elizabeth is usually always cut down to something. I was called Elizabeth until I got into middle school and my peers started calling me Liz. It sort of stuck, and now I am basically known as Liz. I don't think my DH has ever called me Elizabeth in the whole time we have known each other!

But, I really, really hate when people call me Beth. Nothing against the name, it just isn't me. So, when she gets older she may just choose her nickname or someone will just start calling her Liz, Beth, Betsy...and it will stick!