Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Baby Names

In Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]Lemon, I've been wracking my brain (and Google) but I've come up with... Theodora!!!
    Posted by Chiclet831[/QUOTE]
    BAM! You're so smart!!!

Now help me figure out KAM's husband's name. It's not Solomon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lemon - I'm on it!  (But don't get your hopes up...)
    ETA: Dang!  I have a guess, but just noticed that KAM said she doesn't want to post her kids name, so I will respect that.  Totally understandable.

IPW - Interesting... Even though many of us are pretty much in the same age group, I think the Jennifers I know are more like my older sister's age (7 years older).  When I was growing up, she had multiple friends named Jennifer, Heather, and Debbie.  I recall a lot of Kate/Katie/Caitlins around my age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Boo! Sorry KAM! Lucky for you I'm not very good at guessing. You win again, Puzzlemaster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Okay Lemon...In order to *guess* DH's name you need to know what country he's from...(some from the wedding boards may remember me mentioning it there...) 

Some clues:

It takes us 10 hours to fly direct from JFK...

The first known beauty contest was held here.

There are 453 bird species are located here. Tongue out

Tuplis are from here.

Problem is it's an uncommon name even in his home country. So if you can figure out the country you'll be able to determine DS first name. If you can figure out his full name I will be amazed!

DD's name is a different story...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

hahahaahah!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Everyone always wants to know why we named our daughter Theodora. "Oh, is it a family name?" no. "Is it from a book?" No. Maybe, but not that we know of. "The empress Theodora?" Who? "How did you come up with it, then?" Well, we didn't come up with it. It was a name that existed. We talked about it. We both liked it. It had good nickname potential. It wasn't weird or overused. So we decided to use it. "Oh.... okay. Um..." I mean, is that so unusual? That's how people used to be named. "Mary, let's name this child John." "But Ted, we already have a son named John." "By gosh, you're right, Mary! Then let's name this child Michael." Now it's like you have to have a good reason to have chosen that name or everyone gets sulky. We'll have to invent a story for social cover.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

[QUOTE]Love the guessing games!  Fun.  I thought of this article I read early last year and wanted to post here.  Its just beyond cute.  And since many of us are in our 30s (and female!) on this site, I'd bet there are several Jennifers here.  And I represent the next of the dying names... according to this story :-) http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/01/13/the_rise_and_fall_of_jennifers/
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

This article makes me think of this Mike Doughty song...one of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iMhGmyxNI

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Lemon - Theodora was my third guess. I was originally thinking Frances or Patricia, but those aren't Greek. I love the nickname Dora. I think it's cool when a name has a few nicknames. My name can't really be shortened to a nickname (not that people don't try...) so I get kind of jealous.

KAM - I'm going with Augustus for DH's name.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Do you call her Teddy or Dora? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We call her Theo. We tried Teddy for a while but it didn't stick. I also love the name Frances, but I don't care for Franny as a nickname. Frank is a cute nickname for a girl, but she'd have to be really pretty to pull it off with any dignity.

The theoretical Frank, that is. My daughter is definitely lovely enough for a male nickname.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

This is more fun to see what people come up with for names.

If you guys find the names then that's cool-they are public info afterall. We did not create the names ourselves. Once you get the country of origin right you'll be able to find DS's name easily.

I love puzzles!

Chiclet-nope, not his name-but the same number of letters. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Anyone want to name my second boy? We're stuck, and have less than 8 weeks to go!
    My first is named Armand, had that named picked out since 1994 :)
    His name name will be long, slavic and difficult to pronounce, so the first name has to be short.  We don't want anything that could be found in the bible, or anything very popular right now.
    Some names I like are Austin, Torin, Luca, Marius.  My husband likes Dario, Marco, Darius (I think Dario and like names sounds girlie)
    Help!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

in Response to Re: Baby Names:
    [QUOTE]Logan is also the name of a kid I sat next to in science class in sixth grade who would sing the "insane in the membrane" song repeatedly.  He became (had already started?) a stoner who said "dude" a lot.  I can't get past that.  Though I do really like the name Logan.  It's funny how strong some associations can be.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Great, now my kid is destin to be a stoner, following in her mothers footsteps I guess.hahaha  If that is the worst thing she will do in her life, ill take it.  I grew out of that phase pretty quickly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

BSBride-Ronan would have been my pick if we had another boy. But that might not sing well with a slavic name.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

The 1st time I heard the name Logan was in the Baby Sitter's Club books. He was Mary Anne's boyfriend. A little more innocent than a stoner!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

BS - I know a set of brothers named Armand and Stephane (pronounced like the french way) so that's what I immediately thought of when I saw your post!

Loving this thread!  My husband refuses to talk names until we find out the gender in another month or so.  DD's first name was in the mid 300s of the social security list the year she was born.  This past year, it climbed up almost 100 spots in the list.  It hit its peak popularity in the late 1800s and is a shortened version of a very popular name today.  For No. 2, we have a boys name completely picked out - same as the one we would have used if DD was a boy - and we still love it.  But the only name we like for a girl is also the name of one of my DH's living relatives, and we are jewish and its custom not to use the name of someone who is still alive.  I sort of think its a stupid tradition because it would be nice to honor a person who is alive so they can know about it and feel the connection wtih the younger generation, rather than after they have passed away.  But, alas, it is tradition, and I don't think his relative would like it if we didn't honor it.  But, if we find out we are having a girl, I think we'll seriously consider asking the relative permission to use at least a derivative of the name we like...we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it! 

Lemon - I love Theodora too.  Too bad our last name has so many syllabuls or that might have to go on the girls name list!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm going w/ Diederick, Eric, Nicolas or Fritz for KAM's DH.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going w/ Diederick, Eric, Nicolas or Fritz for KAM's DH.
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]
    See, I was going Biblical because I think the first beauty contest was in the Book of Esther. But then I got too lazy to try to figure out what countries were where.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Didn't she say tulips were from there?  I was unaware of the fact that hte first beauty contest took place in the Netherlands. I thought it was in Greece.  I'm going w/ Dutch names. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Don't go with biblical with names...

Alf-I had a scary spider living in my storage closet when I lived in DC...we named him Fritz.

Okay-don't get caugth upon the first beauty contest thing...it's not their claime to fame-just a random fact one website said...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

I do like Ronan, hubby isn't too keene on that one.
    Stephane -  add an 'I' and that's my name, we're avoiding any names already in the family

I'm thinking KAM's husband was from Turkey for some reason

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kam, I think Turkey as well.  Aydin for DS?  I'm still lloking for your DH.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am thinking Turkey, too.  Wikipedia claims that tulips originated in the Ottoman Empire, so modern day Turkey would work (as would some others).
    Plus, JFK to Istanbul is about 10 hours.  JFK to the Netherlands is only about 6 or 7, so I think the Netherlands is out of the running for that reason.
    In other news, I need to get back to work!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In that case, I'm going w/ Rafe or Reginald or Caspar. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

yay! y'all figured out the country and got DS' name! As for DH's...I really highly doubt anyone get's that. ;)