Baby names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Baby names

We find out if we're having a boy or girl in a couple weeks! We've been musing about names and have a list of girls' names to think about bUt are having a hard time with boys' names. It may be a moot point if we're having a girl, but I think it's fun to talk about it. 

There are really only two boys' names I've found that I like: Drake and Dashiell (DASH-uhl), like the author. We're looking for something outside of the Top 60 and the middle name would be Scott.

Does anyone want to share some of their favorite names? What do you look for in choosing a name? Any specific criteria? What do you avoid?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: Baby names

I think boys names are harder to agree on for some reason.  Of course, I've never gotten to name babies but my favorite boys names are Daniel, Alexander.  That's it.  I could list probably 5-6 girls names I like, although I have 2 real favorites.

I personally don't like having names shortened, so naming a child Alexander would be bad for me because I can't stand Alex or Zander, but that's me and my fettish for full names, no nicknames. 

I guess I want the name to be something that isn't too weird, too crazy, and isn't the most common name on earth so there won't be 5 of those in the childs' class, but that's because I have an unusual name and like that.  BUT I wouldn't want a name that was hard to pronounce so my child would have to correct and re-correct his/her name the rest of his life!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

We each made a list of 20ish names that we liked and then compared them. We took the names that we had in common and started using them when we talked to my belly. One of my favorites was Carter, but I didn't like actually saying it. I also liked Campbell (I guess I have a thing for last names as first names). Shane was my absolute favorite boys name but it doesn't sound right with our last name so I'll never get to use it. I wanted a name that's popular enough that you've heard it before but different enough that he might be the only kid in his class to have it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

We have one named picked already, a boy's name. Well, you know our first names and how similar our initials are so the name have picked out has the same first initials as us and the middle starts with N. I just did a quick scan of the Top 100 names and it's not in the top 50. We'll figure out #2 when the time comes because we can't agree right now on another one with our same first initial. Yes, I realize this is a little silly but DH's dad also has the same first initial.

FWIW, I like Drake with your last name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

CT, I'm with you on not wanting nicknames! There are some names that I really like but can't stand the nicknames. My name is long with a multitude of unfortunate nicknames and it took some time to train people to not use the shorter names!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We have a DS and a DD, and we knew long before we were even pregnant what our boy name would be...he's named after my dad and DH's grandfather.  I actually find boys' names easier in general, because there are so many good strong boys names.  Girls' names seem to have more options for creativity and seem to roll through more trends.  DD does have a pretty popular nickname, but her full name, with its spelling, isn't in the Top 100...and her middle name is my mom's name, my middle name and my MIL's middle name. 

In general, I tend to go for the more traditional names - even if they are on the popular end of the spectrum, I feel like traditional names have stood the test of time -  and I like to use the middle name to honor a family member. 

I also liked to do the "business card" test.  Imagine what your child's name would look like on a resume or business card in 30 years, or in a newspaper headline/article.  Supreme Court Justice X Y Z, New York Times reporter X Y Z, etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

We too struggled with a boy name, and I also don't like nicknames. We ended up going with Nolan, but Grant and Dean were also strong contenders.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes and Chiclet - Carter and Nolan were both in our top 5!  Although we went with a different one in the end.

I am also fond of Colton, but too similar to another baby in our family.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We only ever picked 1 girl name. We both agreed right away. Boy names were another story. My husband refused to discuss any boy name that sounded like a last name. Drove me crazy because I love some of them. We ended up with Gavin, which I feel is unusual enough but not too out there that he'll have to explain it or spell it constantly.

My Irish friend, Aoife (pronounced "ee-fa") posted this on facebook recently, which I thought was fitting for her!

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/irish-name-problems-891769-May2013/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - our DS is William so that's not going to work for you but we had a few other strong contenders: Nolan and Finn were constantly thrown around.  Also, our girl name was Parker but we liked it for a boy too; for a little while the baby's name was going to be Parker whether it was a boy or girl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We were 100% set on our boy name for DS... a lost family lastname, Austin.  About two months before, I was reading a book and saw a name that just stuck with me.  It wouldn't get out of my head and that is what we ended up going with (and we like his full name and nickname... Nathan/Nate) (and now, of course, he is SO not an Austin!).  One of my other absolutely favorite names is Nolan.  So memes... I really like your choice!  But if we have another boy, I feel like they may be too twin-sounding.  We also really like Noah, which I think it is creeping up fast in the popularity charts.  As for that though... I will say... I have one of the two names that dominated the 80s girls top 1 and 2 spots for years.  And, while I was born in the 70s when it hadn't become popular yet... I still don't hear it that often.  No one else in my school had it, and even now I don't know any in my circles.  So if you really like a name, go with it regardless of how many others there are.  Doesn't stop people from naming their sons William, Michael and John.  I still hear those a lot and think they are great.

For this one, we've definitely got the middle names picked for both genders (both family names as well).  And I'm 99% sure on the firsts... but we'll see if I read another book toward the end that changes our tune!

Oh, I will say one thing I've been considering.  I have to send a lot of "cold call" emails, and sometimes I get stuck on if they are a man or a woman, and I still want to write "Mr." or "Ms.".  i.e. Riley Smith or Dylan Jones.  So I do think we will land on something that is pretty obviously gender specific.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ah the name game! DH and I had a hard time. I wanted to name our son after my father - but DH knows someone he really hates with the same name so that wasn't going to happen. But his father's first name is the same as my mother's maiden name (think David or Parker or something like that) so we went with that. We used my father's middle name as our son's middle name.

For our daughter we wanted classic - nothing trendy. We were literaly down to English Queen names - Catherine, Elizabeth or Victoria. Her middle name is my maiden name.

I personally dislike names where you can't tell gender - but I'm amazed at the gender neutral names in my kids class - Riley, Kendall, Quinn, Brooke, Emerson, Chace.

Saw a new baby in the grocery store today - her name is Berkeley - I'm not a fan of place names either. Does anyone really want to go through life named Brooklyn, Tennessee or London?

Happy naming!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

This is always a fun discussion.  Looks like we are going to be a family with two girls... so 99% sure we won't ever get to use our boy name.  It was going to be Liam, after my father (he was William).  We liked the Irish version of the name and I'm not sure how popular it is - I think it totally depends on where you live.  A lot of those name popularity lists are nationwide and I tend to think some names are more popular on a regional basis.  My DD1 has a very traditional name and her middle name is my DH's grandma's name.  For this baby (DD2), the one name we like is a "top 10" name on the popularity lists.  It is a traditional, not trendy name and we just really can't think of anything we like better.  We still really like it and I am trying not to be swayed by its popularity because I honestly don't personally know any other kids or babies with the name.  Her middle name will be my grandma's name.

Also - In terms of what to avoid:  potential nicknames that you'd hate, how the name sounds with your last name, and also what the baby's initials would be.  By way of example, my aunt's intials were GAS (before she got married).  Not good planning by my grandparents...  ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I always think these name discussions are fun. I picked up DH from work today and while we sat in rush hour traffic, we started talking about names a bit more. I think we accidentally chose a boy's name and a girl's name! We're keeping name choices a secret from friends and family so we'll have to throw them around a bit more just between us at home and see if we like them after using them out loud. Boy initials would be DSH and girl inititals QPH (she'd never lose her monogrammed tote bags). DH's inititals spell a word, which he doesn't like (nothing bad though) and my maiden name intitals sound like the name of a gun or another weapon. 

CLC, my friend had a baby recently who she named Parker (boy). Nolan is a nice name and not one your hear often. I like Gavin, too, Poppy...and because I am a child of the 90s I think of Gavin Rossdale, lol. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

WPP: I am totally the opposite of you and CT-DC because I love names that can have a million nicknames :)  I also love classic/timeless names that sound great on a business card, ala Miss Lily and Luv.  So DD is Elizabeth (Beth) and DS is William (Willy for now since he's still young).  #3 will probably be Robert (Robbie) or Catherine (Katie).  I did read somewhere that sibling names should sort of be in the same vein - like it would have been weird to follow Elizabeth with Moses ;)  Good luck with your decision!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

I love this discussion too. We didn't find out DD's gender before she was born so we had two names picked out my favorite boys name (Cole) since Mr. Holland's Opus came out in 1995 with my grandfather's name as a middle name and then for a girl we wanted to use DH's mother's first name as a middle name, Alise, so we had to work backwards and find a first name that went with that and settled on Eve. So DD ended up Eve Alise. I hope we end up having a boy some day so we can use our boy's name too. I think little siblings Eve and Cole sound nice together.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

WPP - DH and I also kept our names secret.  Seriously the only person that we told them to was the admitting nurse while I was in labor and I even had a hard time telling her.  I didn't want all of the comments that come along with people hearing the names you're thinking about.  Also, I didn't want to be locked into a name in case we changed our minds (which I did at 7 months pregnant). 

Also, is your girl name Quinn?  Because I freaking love that!

Finally, we always look at the initials too, one of my best friends growing up had the initials STD.  Man he got a lot of crap in middle school with his LL Bean backpack, poor kid.   I would like to use Mae as a middle name for a girl, it's my sister's middle name, but with Parker her initials would have been PMS and that's just mean!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I just wanted to post back.  We got my cousin's baby announcement email yesterday.  She's currently way, way overseas, so actually had her daughter on Mother's Day (12 hours earlier than ours).  Her husband is Irish, so we had an inkling they'd be going with another Irish name.  Their son has one, but its very pronouncable and cool (IMO), and while unique, is starting to be used here in the states.  Well... her announcement email not only came with the little girl's name... but a phoenetic spelling, AND, a link to an audio pronounciation because there is NO WAY you'd ever get it by looking at it.  I called my mom and promised that she wouldn't need a lesson on how to say baby #2's name :-)  I'm all for creativity, especially when the name stems from another language.  But they are moving back to the US and this poor girl will never, ever get her name pronounced right or spelled right... ever. (its not Sinead or Siobhan, which I think have some potential for the correct pronounciation).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, you don't anticipate Dashielle being shortened to Dash?  Just a thought if you don't care for nicknames.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

WPP if it's Beibhinn or Aoife, it's not as as unusual as you think.  I have a cousin w/ the first, and I know other people w/ the name (albeit spelled phonetically!). Both are also not unusual names in Ireland.  Granted, if you aren't going to live abroad,  that doesn't make a difference. But naming a kid Mackenzie, Jayden or one of the other more popular names sounds just as weird to people in other countries as their names sound to US couples. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We tried to pick names that had significance to us and did not cause issues with being too unusual. Boy names were soo hard for us too (before we knew the gender of DS, we already knew the girl's name but were still debating on the boy first names until basically the day he was born) - we ultimately decided to pick names that were from our ethnic backgrounds (which was welsh, chinese, hungarian and german). But we also wanted the names to be within the 40 yard lines as DH would say.

We also said that boys would have DH's last name and girls would have mine (I did not change my name when I got married)... so for DS, we went with Welsh first name, German middle name (my father's name) and Hungarian last name while for DD she has Hungarian first name (we used the name we both have always liked and had agreed on since our first pregnancy), Chinese middle name (combining part of my mother's name with the chinese-translation for my MIL into one chinese name) and German last name.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ALF, I think you are referring to my post.  I didn't put my new 2nd cousin's (or cousin once removed... not sure how that works) name because its not my name choice to share.  I shared my son's name above because I chose it and chose to put it on a public board.  I don't want to make that choice for my cousin (even though she's 3 continents away).  But, no, its neither of what you put (neither of which I know how to pronounce... but I'm sure they sound lovely, as most irish names are). 

Wow.. cwag... I'm impressed with your creativity incorporating all the unique cultures. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I love this discussion! We were originally going to keep our name a secret, but once we decided on it, I didn't mind sharing it because I knew we weren't going to change our minds. We've gotten all positive feedback, so either everyone likes it or our friends and family are good actors. Even one of the OBs we met in the hospital said, "Finally, a normal name" when we told him. My name is uncommon enough that I could never find barettes or anything with my name as a kid and I didn't want to do that to my kid. (It is, however, common enough that my freshman year roommate and I had the same name. Thanks Res Life...)

As far as the initials, one of my best friends initials are BRA. His mom swears that she didn't put it all together until after he was born and his aunt sent a monogrammed sweater. My DH works for a tech company and our son's initials is their main product. (It would be like if he worked for Comcast and our kid's initials were ISP.) We didn't set out to do that, but once we realized it, we thought it was pretty cool and we kept it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to IPWBride's comment:

ALF, I think you are referring to my post.  I didn't put my new 2nd cousin's (or cousin once removed... not sure how that works) name because its not my name choice to share.  I shared my son's name above because I chose it and chose to put it on a public board.  I don't want to make that choice for my cousin (even though she's 3 continents away).  But, no, its neither of what you put (neither of which I know how to pronounce... but I'm sure they sound lovely, as most irish names are). 

Wow.. cwag... I'm impressed with your creativity incorporating all the unique cultures. 

yeah, sorry.  I meant your post.

I guess I don't see the danger of posting a first name. I mean, I get not wanting to share the name, but unless your child is the only child w/ that name, or only one of a very few w/ that name, no one is going to be able to locate the child.  Now, if you've posted other information about yourself and the child can be identified, okay, but a random kid with a different last name thousands of miles away, and in another country, is probably going to be fine.

The names I had chosen before my mc (DH wouldn't play ball till the second tri) were Elizabeth, Grace or Lydia for girls and Alexander, Owen and Spencer for boys.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Kar, Dash is my exception to the no nickname rule--I really like that one! CLC, you guessed right ;) don't tell anyone. 

I was reading a baby name book and there was a quote from Jason Lee (or whoever is the father of Pilot Inspektor). I'm probably paraphrasing a little,but it was something like: "Everyone I know with an uncommon name loves having one. It's only the losers named Dave who have a problem with the uncommon names. And who cares what they think? They're named Dave."

I thought that was funny, even though that's a little mean to the Daves. It's also interesting; I had never heard about the thought process from people who choose reallly bizarre names.