Considering a doula for baby #2...please share

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newcarsmelly. Show newcarsmelly's posts

Considering a doula for baby #2...please share

Wouldreally appreciate any recommendations for a specific person or how you found your doula. And any stories you'd like to share - pros and cons. I've only heard of good exp. w doulas, just wondering if that's really realistic. And trying to decide if it's something I'd truly benefit from. Any info is much appreciated!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: Considering a doula for baby #2...please share

I found my doula at lovesjourneydoulas.com...she's awesome already and I can tell it'll be a good fit/experience. There's more on the site about what doulas do n general. For me, I have anxiety/people pleasing issues and having a support person (other than my husband, who I'm sure will also be very nervous :) who understands birth and can help with pain coping is completely necessary. Good luck! Before you sign a contract or anything a doula will want to meet you and make sure you connect, explain her role, etc. No pressure there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

I recently used a doula and I would highly recommend hiring one, especially if you want to have an unmedicated birth. When I went into active labor, my husband called her and she came to our house, as we wanted to labor at home as long as possible. She helped us decide when to leave for the hospital (to avoid getting there too early or late). She was a constant, calming presence and had many suggestions for relieving the pain and helping me progress (i.e., get in the bathtub, try standing, try squatting, etc.). She also helped me advocate for myself at the hospital (for example, suggesting intermittent fetal monitoring via the doppler rather than constant fetal monitoring).

With her support, I was able to have an unmedicated birth and I truly don't know if I could've done it without her. Without her, I think my husband and I would've been scared and would've gotten to the hospital much earlier, and I might have gotten an epidural because the pain was overwhelming at times. If I lived in MA, I would recommend my doula to you, but I live on the West Coast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Snce it is your second birth, what you are looking for from a doula may differ than for first time. I used one for my second (my prenatal massage therapist was training to be a doula so that worked great for me since I already knew her). Even though it was my second birth, I still found it helpful to have a doula (although if i had to choose between labor and post partum for doula, I would pick post partum since that is when I needed the most help and support especially for nursing support - my mother did not nurse us and she was not sure how to help me breastfeed).

We wanted a doula second time partially because with a toddler, we wanted to be sure I had someone with me in case DH had to deal with an emergency with DS while I am in the hospital - as great as the nurses are, they can not stay with you all the time.

It is important to meet with a labor doula a few times beforehand to get an idea on personality fit... Second time around, you most likely will know what you did and did not like about your first birth experience, and can use that information to guide your preferences. At the same time, each labor is different. I found it helpful the second time (I was induced both times so there was no laboring at home for me) with her suggestions, and just having someone else there to keep both DH and I company during the early part of labor, and help me with the second part of labor to the end. it did help me in my goal to go as long as possible without epidural by having another person to help me work towards that goal (by the time i decided that it was too much, it was too late to get it and the baby was out less than an hour later - and I do not know how different the contractions are with induction, but I understand it is not the same). So we were pleased with how it worked out with a doula for our second time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I did not have one, but regarding looking for recommendations for specific people, there are threads about this a lot on Somerville Moms, with people recommending theirs.  Would be worth checking out if you are near Somerville and/or delivering in a Boston hospital.  If not, maybe try a similar parents list near you?  GL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATeam59. Show ATeam59's posts

Absolutely!  I did not have one with my first and thought about having one for my 2nd and so glad I did. I had an amazing VBAC experience and my doula really helped me and my husband.

I think of them as "coaches". They have a lot of experience and they are there to offer support, suggestions, assistance but you are in control and you advocate for you!

GL!
    Amy

Who is John Galt?
    The truth is Out There.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!
    As you wish.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATeam59. Show ATeam59's posts

I found her through a local friend. Happy to be specific. A Mommy's Friend Doula (she's on FB). but she lives in Topsfield, MA.  I think she's done some Boston births though. Worth a check!

If you do, tell her Amy sent you!

Amy

Who is John Galt?
    The truth is Out There.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!
    As you wish.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BstDoula. Show BstDoula's posts

In response to newcarsmelly's comment:

Wouldreally appreciate any recommendations for a specific person or how you found your doula. And any stories you'd like to share - pros and cons. I've only heard of good exp. w doulas, just wondering if that's really realistic. And trying to decide if it's something I'd truly benefit from. Any info is much appreciated!!!

Hi there,

I had a doula for my son's birth and could not have done it without her! I am also a doula in the Boston area and would be happy to answer any questions you may have: bstdoula@gmail.com