March Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

March Pregnancy

Good morning all! Figured I would start off the March thread. Normally I can't post at this time of day since I'm at work, but, snow day today! So badly needed too...I'm physically falling apart! Started with bad, bad lower back pain two nights ago. I had 2 herniated discs several years ago that flare up every now and again with or without reason. Not sure if it's just that, or pregnancy related. Struggling to find relief between resting, ice, stretching, and the occasional tylenol. I even call my OB's office for fear it was some sign of preterm labor or something, but the nurse assured me it was just due to my body changing, and that it will only get worse until delivery. I'm truly not sure how it can get any worse.

In addition to that, my throat has been hurting and I think I feel a cold coming on...man I've had it so easy thus far, I KNEW that it would come back and bite me in the butt later...

I hope everyone else is having an easier time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: March Pregnancy

Sorry about the back pain, Summer. Have you started sleeping with a pregnancy pillow or just a regular pillow between your knees?  I know that's most commonly recommended by people on here to help with back pain at night.  DH got me a Mini Snoogle for Christmas and I've been trying to use it because I also have pretty bad back pain most days but half way through the night I end up tossing it out of bed.

AFM, 26 weeks today! Also, we finished our Birth & Baby class last night.  Truthfully, I didn't feel like I learned a whole lot because I know so much from all of you but it was a great class for DH.  We are also going to take an Infant CPR class next month.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: March Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Sorry about the back pain, Summer. Have you started sleeping with a pregnancy pillow or just a regular pillow between your knees?  I know that's most commonly recommended by people on here to help with back pain at night.  DH got me a Mini Snoogle for Christmas and I've been trying to use it because I also have pretty bad back pain most days but half way through the night I end up tossing it out of bed. AFM, 26 weeks today! Also, we finished our Birth & Baby class last night.  Truthfully, I didn't feel like I learned a whole lot because I know so much from all of you but it was a great class for DH.  We are also going to take an Infant CPR class next month.
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

I've been using the full size snoogle for well over a month. Unfortunately the part that goes between my knees is starting to flatten out, so I might need to use an additional pillow. The thing is that it often hurts the worst when I'm laying down, it's woken me up the past couple nights, and it hurts all day :(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ahh, speaking of body pillows, I need to get one sometime today. Sleeping is starting to get uncomfortable. I can feel a significant bump when I sleep on my stomach and I have to stop sleeping on my back soon, so I am trying the whole side thing, and I wake up 2-3 times a night with my entire arm and hand numb, not fun!

My appetite is increasing as well. I ate so much yesterday and topped the day off with a nice juicy burger and strawberry shake!

Summer, sucks about the back pain! I have had back pain since I was a teen (probbaly because of my breast size). I hope it gets better! I would highly suggest a pre-natal massage!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

How's this for irony: I'm 39w4d.  Had my last day of work yesterday.  I'm a nurse working on a combined special care nursery/Labor+Delivery+Postpartum floor.  I'm actually delivering on the floor I work on.  Since I haven't gone into labor yet (UGH), they called me in for some optional overtime tomorrow so I can help take care of all the women who ARE having their babies!  In fact, the floor is full, they literally don't have a room open for me to deliver in.  Sweet, eh?  Depressing, too!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Oh, Hugh, that's awful! Maybe the stress of being around all those women will send you into labor (once some space is cleared on the floor of course)! Summer, sorry about the back pain. I hope you find something to relieve it! Liz, definitely go for the body pillow. I got a regular one and a Snoogle and rotated them for a few months, though by later in the third tri all I wanted was the Snoogle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Hugh, hang in there.  My mum has tales of attempting to intubate people while 9 months pregnant and realizing A) her arms weren't long enough to do it properly and B) she was now stuck between the wall and the person's head and no one could get in and help. 
    At least you know you can go right up until the end at work!

Arcain, good luck with the breastfeeding.  It really is soooo much harder you expect.  It's weird, because AFTER you realize how hard it is everyone commiserates and we all agree it's ridiculously difficult at first.  I don't know anyone who didn't have some frustrations at some point.  Yet, regardless, all (at least most) of us go in feeling like it can't be THAT difficult since it's so natural. 

Hang in there!  As previous posters have said, I bet he'll get stronger and stronger as he gets bigger and you'll both be able to reap the rewards of all this effort.  My DD had a great latch and my supply/let down was good and I still struggled the first 3 weeks with how overwhelming everthing was.  You're doing really well enduring all the extra hurdles in the nursing process that nature is throwing at you. 
    Good luck. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hugh, at least if you go into labor at work, you and the baby are in good hands (if not a bed). ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Hugh maybe if you hear all the babies crying it will send the right hormone to your brain and trigger labor - you can only hope right? 
    What happens if all the beds are full?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Summer - I hope your back is feeling better!  Hopefully the baby will move to a better position for you.

Hugh - Good Luck at work atleast if you go into labor your in the right place!  Im sure they will find a bed for one of their own :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Hugh- i was thinking the same thing. thank goodness I am not one of the mom's trying to deliver there- would surely get kicked out of my bed for a staff member!!

summer- it helped me to shower before bed- using the hot water to spray my lower back. I never found the belts helped, but if I adjusted the way I walked (torso back- standing up really straight) it helped reduce the pain I accumulated all day. I second- third- and fourth the whole pillow thing. I couldn't give them up- DH has to climb over a pile of pillows to get to me.

AFM, I am 15 weeks today- just did the lab work for the second part of the sequential screen and have started the week of agony waiting for the results. I was hoping not to tell everyone about the pregnancy until we had the results but not going to happy. I should just wear a sign ("yes, it is another baby")

I think that I am going to start a separate thread on second babies questions... i don't want to take over the boards, but some of the things I am struggling with seem to be directly related to toddler care while pregnant. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Oh boy, what hospital is this? Is there a full moon?!

AFM, 19 weeks today. Looking back I can not believe I am 19 weeks with a belly and all, actually looking pregnant, because if you asked me in December how long it would take to get here I would have said FOREVER! But, I still feel like it is going by so slow! Ahhh, can't it just be July?? Or at least June?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hugh - good luck! I'm sure they will find room for you. Is it normal for them to fill up like that?

Winter - good luck keeping sane waiting for the results! Did they say anything at your ultrasound or will this be the first you will hear anything? I am doing the same testing and my u/s and first blood draw is Monday. I was told I won't hear anything until after the second blood draw unless Monday's results are really bad. I'm hoping the u/s tech will at least clue us in about how things look.

Liz - I felt the same way turning 12 weeks yesterday! Don't worry, June & July will be here soon enough and you'll be wondering where all the time went.

Summer - hope your back starts to feel better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

cici- we got an ultrasound report, which told us that the neck folds were within normal limits. I didn't get a call about the blood test results, which mean that the chances of downs are less likely than 1 in 25 (I don't know how to word it, but hopefully you get the point.)

this second part is just blood work-at 15 weeks- takes about 7 days (ugh.) then you get the percentage. since I am old and crusty, then i decide about an amnio.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks winter. That sounds exactly like what the midwife told me at my appointment. She didn't mention anything about the ultrasound report. I hope we get that too.

Good luck. I'm crossing my fingers that the risk is so low you won't need to make a decision about the amnio.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - just in case your practice is like mine, I heard nothing for WEEKS.  The ultrasound tech wouldn't tell us anything and then the Dr's office never called.  I finally asked about it at my 18 week appointment and they said everything was within the normal range and that they take the "no news is good news approach."  I wish I knew that before I was waiting around!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer - sorry about the pain!  Back pain is the worst, there's just no relief.  I hope you find something that helps to ease it... Do those hot or cold packs work at all?

CLC - I felt the same about the classes - they were GREAT for DH who really wasn't into reading the birth/baby books.  He asked all sorts of questions and talked about it constantly afterwards.

Hugh - Get those moms and babies out to clear some space for you!  Seriously, you should probably be bringing your hospital bag to work with you!  (you probably are) I think if I was in labor and a 9 month pregnant nurse walked in I would be nicely distracted from my own distress and more concerned that she was comfortable and ok!  :) 

Good luck to those doing the screening - I did the full screening with DD, and this time just did the ultrasound and 1 blood draw.  We never got an ultrasound report, but at NWH you have a tech do the initial ultrasound measurements, then a doctor comes in and in my experience tells you what he sees.  It's a bit nerve-wracking waiting for the results. 

AFM, I'm almost 17 weeks and this is the absolute last day I can possibly fit into my normal pants.  Guess I'll be hitting the stores this weekend!  I really wish all my maternity clothes weren't in storage! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Cici - just in case your practice is like mine, I heard nothing for WEEKS.  The ultrasound tech wouldn't tell us anything and then the Dr's office never called.  I finally asked about it at my 18 week appointment and they said everything was within the normal range and that they take the "no news is good news approach."  I wish I knew that before I was waiting around!

The waiting stinks!!  That might be a necessary policy, I suppose, for a busy office who doesn't want to "waste time" on normal reports, but for pete's sake, don't they care that people need to hear that everything is OK asap?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I am 20 weeks and my b00bs feel much much more firm now.  Did anyone else notice that happened to them around this time?  Is it normal?  Is the milk already coming in oe starting?

Also it is time for us to schedule birthing classes.  At my doctors office they have an ISIS person come in for a Saturday class.  Do you think this is the best class to take?  It is more for DH.  I have been asking for 2 weeks to read the father part in What to Expect When expecting but it falls on deaf ears.  MEN!  LOL  I want him to be prepared when I go into labor.  The other night I was going to clip the dogs nails and he asked me to wait until he left the house.  The dogs dont like to get their nails trimmed and he was afraid that I was going to cut the quick (sp) since they squirm!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Pugs - We did a one-day Saturday birthing class and it was great.  It was through HVMA, though, not Isis.  Like others said, I didn't learn much that I hadn't read on these boards, but I did learn a little and it was GREAT for DH.  When I was in labor, he remembered things from the class that were helpful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

fram- us too. DH was all about the breath mints. had them in every pocket.
    honestly after 48 hours, I didn't really care what his breath smelled like...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Thanks everyone for the support.  It really made me smile :)

As for childbirth ed, I really liked this dvd that I got, which I found to be more helpful than most of the actual courses.  With #1 we did take a course through the hospital we were delivering at (NWH), and mostly for my husband since I was already attending births for my job. 

Here is a link to a preview of the dvd, and I just ordered it and I actually re-watched it this pregnancy too and remembered how good it really is!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPDVDonRGXw

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Cici - just in case your practice is like mine, I heard nothing for WEEKS.  The ultrasound tech wouldn't tell us anything and then the Dr's office never called.  I finally asked about it at my 18 week appointment and they said everything was within the normal range and that they take the "no news is good news approach."  I wish I knew that before I was waiting around!

That's kind of mean they weren't planning to tell you your results! I'm pretty sure my office doesn't work that way. I got a call from my midwife directly a couple days and nearly had a heart attack but she was just letting me know that everything was normal with my bloodwork from the first appointment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I got an email from my MW telling me all of my ERA blood levels were "very reassuring" and that the nuchal fold measurement was right in the normal range, and that we'd discuss it in detail at my 14 week appt, but to call if I had any questions before then.  The ultrasound tech was also great to tell me what the nuchal fold measurement was and what range they wanted it to be between.

I think if I didn't hear ANYTHING a week to 10 days after the blood draw, I'd be calling them.  That was my signal that it was okay to start sharing the news with extended family and work, so I'd been waiting for it! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

So my back troubles became so severe this AM that I called my OB's office again, which referred me to call my PCP. I saw her and she is sending me for physical therapy. Thank GOD! Finally I will hopefully get some kind of relief...even if it takes a while, it will help me to strengthen my muscles and actually address the problem versus just taking the pain meds she also prescribed me....

Also I had DH stop and get me one of these:  http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=973050113&MasterCategory_Id=MC32 Even though my belly really isn't that big, we'll see if it works.