Mini-Pill Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Mini-Pill Question

OK, this is going to sound like a teenager's sex question, but...

Does anyone know if you miss a mini pill, and have unprotected sex that night, is it possible to get pregnant?  

I would suspect not because I would think that the body would not ovulate so quickly, but I'm not sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: Mini-Pill Question

I think it is possible especially with the mini-pill compared to other bcp. If I remember correctly, you have to be very careful about taking the mini-pill at the same exact time every day or you could become pregnant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I've known people who've gotten pg on the mini pill even when they took it everyday. Ack.

Fingers crossed for whatever outcome you want. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I think it's a dice-roll. I wasn't on the mini pill, but the regular pill, when I got pregnant with #3. I think the odds are *vastly* against this happening (in both the missing a pill scenario, and the regular taking of pill scenario), but it can.

Like kiwi said, fingers crossed for what outcome you want!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh boy... I feel for you right now!

I agree with the others - my understanding is that you can absolutely get pregnant if you miss one mini-pill.  My doctor told me that specifically when I went on it while breastfeeding.  In fact, he said I might want to use a second form of bc while on the mini-pill. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Oh boy is right.  I guess what's done is done.  I had an "oh ___" moment right after we did it and thought I had forgotten to take my pill and low and behold I did.  By I was about 11 hours late so I hope that my body did not ovulate so quickly (if at all).

I guess I just continue to take my pill and test in a month or so?  I mean, being on the pill and BFing I haven't gotten a period so I'd have no way to know.

Honestly, why can't they make a bcp for men.  Why do us women have to be in charge of everything contraception/conception/baby related?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Good luck, Trouble! I really hope it all works out for you.

I took the mini-pill for a couple months and I remember that the way they work is not necessarily to prevent ovulation but to change your mucus or uterine lining so that even if you do ovulate, either conception or implantation will not occur. I think it was like 50/50 chance of ovulating regularly. Hopefully since you were only 11 hours late and didn't skip it completely you will be fine!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope it works out OK, but missing a mini pill by about 4 hours can cause you to ovluate that month...sorry!

It's not, by the way, that you'd ovulate in 4 hours.  It's that after 4 hours your body could react by setting off the cascade of hormonal events that would cause you to ovulate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

What Cici said is interesting... makes me realize I never asked my OB how the mini-pill works, exactly.

But from what folks have said, you may want to take additional precautions if you... um... have "romance" (as my friend's mom always called it) anytime in the next week or two?  If you do talk to your OB about it, I'll be curious to hear what he/she says.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

This is a link to the Mayo Clinic description of how the mini pill works. It says that it SOMETIMES suppresses ovulation.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/minipill/MY00991

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The mini-pill's mojo (which is just as effective at prevent pregnancy as regular estrogen/progesterone based pills) can be thrown off by missing it by 4 hours.  The drop in progesterone that occurs after 4 hours of having missed it can cause a rush to make your body more hospitable to ushering the sperm to the egg, if there is one, and/or to ovulate if you wouldn't have otherwise.  That's a more accurate portrayal, I guess, than just saying it could cause the hormones to allow ovulation.

Either way, it's just as effective as the regular pill if taken correctly, but the chances of failure are higher if you don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I don't think mine worked to surpress ovulvation as I got my period every month while on it (which shocked my doctor).  Although... I never got PG. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You'd have bleeding every month without knowing one way or the other if you ovulated that month; one does not imply the other.  It would be the same as women who are pregnant who "get their period" every month - they obviously aren't ovulating, but they can get monthly bleeding that is harmless and not indicative of ovulation.

ETA:  Actually, getting a true, honest to goodness period means you did ovulate hormonally speaking because a period is driven in part by an LH surge which causes ovulation.  This is suppressed by the regular BCP and sometimes on the mini-pill.  But, the regular monthly bleeding you get on the week off BC (or if you're actually pregnant - think about the women on "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant") can mimic a real period almost exactly.  It can be lighter, but it doesn't have to be.  That bleeding is almost always referred to as a period, but it really isn't, technically speaking from a hormonal cause perspective.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Kar, I don't think that is true with the mini-pill. I believe one of the signs you are ovulating when on it is a regular period. Often, women on the mini-pill will not have any periods or will have random break through bleeding. I never had any bleeding the entire time I was on it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Yes, you ladies are right, it's all coming back to me now.  That is why docs put you on the mini-pill if you are breastfeeding - so that you do ovulate and your body does not think your pregnant (as it does with combination pills) and your milk doesn't dry up.  As Cici said it changes the mucus to try and prevent the sperm from reaching the egg or something like that. 

I totally knew about the 4 hour thing.  I just completely forgot to take it.  I usually take it with dinner because we *always* have dinner at the same time, but I guess I was thinking about other things (the kids) and forgot.  Sigh...

Poppy, my DH said the same thing, to use a back-up method from now on, but what is the point of being on the pill if you need to use a backup?! 

Well, I'm hoping that there was no egg in sight because I'm still BFing like crazy with DS - he's still not sleeping through.  I didn't go on bcp after DD and I didn't get my period back until she started sleeping through the night.

Again, thanks for all the input!!!  I feel like such an idiot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Mini-Pill Question:
    [QUOTE]Kar, I don't think that is true with the mini-pill. I believe one of the signs you are ovulating when on it is a regular period. Often, women on the mini-pill will not have any periods or will have random break through bleeding. I never had any bleeding the entire time I was on it.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

One doesn't have to get bleeding on it, I realize, but I was on it for 8 years and got regular monthly bleeding that resembled my pre-bcp period the whole time.  Maybe that means I ovulated every time, but it doesn't necessarily.

If it prevents ovulation sometimes and you get regular monthly bleeding every time, that means sometimes the bleeding is your period (the times you ovulated) and other times it isn't.  There's no way to know by the bleeding itself if you get it regularly, anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I just meant using a back-up for whatever time frame your body is "thrown off" by missing that one pill.  Was wondering if maybe there is an x-amount of time you would be more susceptible to pregnancy because of missing?

Anyway, hope all is well!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I believe it says how long to use backup birth control in the package insert in whatever pill you're taking if you miss any.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Kar, I think you are reading the "sometimes prevents ovulation" as being specific to one person, while I interpreted the statement as if 100 women take the mini pill, some number of them will continue to ovulate every month, while the rest will have ovulation supressed. Perhaps with another portion having partial supression, but that wouldn't neccessarily be the case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, maybe, I hadn't thought of that.  But, either way, regular bleeding can't tell you if you are one of the women who ovulates on it (or not) because you can bleed without ovulating.  My SIL insists she got her period the whole time she was pregnant with her twins even though that's hormonally impossible.  But, I don't doubt she bled every month in a manner that mimicked her period and I never tried to correct her.