Pregnancy and Running

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodfall2008. Show capecodfall2008's posts

Pregnancy and Running

Hello, I have a question for anyone who has run throughout their pregnancy. I am an avid runner and have been for many years. My doctor said I am perfectly fine to keep running throughout my pregnancy and just to listen to my body. I have purposedly slowed down quite a bit and cut back on the length of my runs since I found out I was pregnant, but I am still running most days and am now 20 weeks along. I feel great and have had no morning sickness or other difficult side effects so cutting back has mostly been a precaution but recently I have started to have a good deal of ligamant pain around my groin area. It starts after a run and lingers for a day or so and I've noticed the longer I run, the more it hurts. I am trying to cut back to every other day and that seems to help, but I am wondering if anyone has used the pregnancy belts for exercise or has any other tips for prolonging running during pregnancy? I know that switching to walking and/or a lower impact exercise may have to happen eventually, but I am only half way through my pregnancy, and having run on almost a daily basis for 15 years and I am not ready to give it up yet (unless of course there is any reason why the baby would be in danger, in which case I would stop immediately, but my doctor has assured me that is not the case). Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Pregnancy and Running

I have a friend who used the belts for running and for cardio classes.  She said it made a huge difference.  Get one and try it out. She was still running at 7 months! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This will sound like I'm totally making it up, but honestly I had a friend who kept up her running routine by wearing 3 jog bras at a time while she was pregnant; she never mentioned anything else.  And, she ended up running 5 miles (her regular for her last month of pregnancy) w/in 24 hours of giving birth to a healthy baby boy.  And, she lost the baby weight w/in 3 months.  Good for you for being and staying so fit!  It will pay off big time for you and baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I'm not a runner, but I do love cardio kickboxing.  I worked out regularly 2-4 days a week until 3 days before I gave birth (and have gone back to working out starting 10 days post partum).  For the last few months I found it really helpful to wear a support band.  I chose the Medela Maternity Support belt in a S/M.  This was also the band that my instructor wore for both of her pregnancies (and she taught class until 38 weeks both times).  Earlier in my pregnancy, the belt helped with the generally "jiggly" feeling when I jumped up and down.  Later on it helped support some of the weight of the baby so that my ligaments weren't doing all the work. 

Not sure if this link works, but they are available online or I picked mine up at Babies R Us (though make sure they are in stock before going to the store, not all stores carry them):
    http://www.amazon.com/Maternity-Support-in-Nude-S-M/dp/B0001BUK9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328392177&sr=8-1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

I ran through my second pregnancy and found a belt to be extremely helpful.
    I used this one http://www.fitmaternity.com/maternity-clothes/ga003.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I'm not a runner but worked out through my first pregnancy and am doing so again for pg #2.  For my first pregnancy my OB gave me a guideline that I found to be pretty true - she said that it's great to workout throughout pregnancy but that I should lower my expectations. She said that its normal to be able to workout pretty much as usual during first trimester (assuming feeling ok!), and beginning of second trimester, but that typically in the middle of the second trimester you will need to decrease your workout and by the end of the pregnancy you will be capable of doing 1/3 to 1/2 less than what you were doing before the pregnancy.  I basically found this to be true, but I was also able to jump back into exercising when my first baby was a month or two old and get back into my former routine pretty quickly.  So listen to your body and don't feel discouraged if you are doing less than you were doing at the beginning.  To be doing anything at all is pretty amazing.  And definitely get a good sports bra.

One more thing: I remember one issue I had toward the end of my pregnancy was swollen feet and I had some discomfort wearing my regular sneakers.  I had a pair of older sneakers that were more stretched out that I switched to for the last month or so.  For me it wasn't an issue because I was mainly doing the ellyptical and the bike, but for a runner, I know good shoes are really important to avoid other injuries so just something to keep in mind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodfall2008. Show capecodfall2008's posts

Thanks all for the feedback. I spoke to my doctor and she said I could try out the pregnancy belt, but if I was feeling discomfort like I described, it was time to cut back even more. Frustrating because I feel 100% other than the ligament pain. Rama, I think your experience is very true for me as I am half way through my second trimester now and I need to cut back to about half of what I used to do. So far I have been doing about 3/4 of what I did pre-pregnancy. Appreciate everyone's insight and links to the pregnancy belts!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In addition to all the other good advice, I would recommend you take stock of the route you are running.  I don't run but I'm an avid walker.  With my first pregnancy the lower pelvic ligament pain eased in my third trimester and I was a little waddly but otherwise fine with walking pretty quickly for long distances.  My issue is that I had to change my normal route to either pass along busy streets with lots of fast food restaurants/public bathrooms or go around and around the block near my house.  At the end you have to pee so frequently and the urge comes on so suddenly if I had not changed my normal route I would have found myself peeing on the side of the road more than once. 

Just keep it in mind :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

You can try the belt, but if the pain you describe is like what I experienced, I don't think it will help much.  I found that it wasn't my belly causing the discomfort, just the loosening ligaments = pain. 

Sorry!  I found that I enjoyed intervals on the treadmill almost as much as just straight-up running, and spinning classes didn't bother the groin as much, ironically. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

I mostly lurk on the boards but wanted to chime in.  I ran up until the day before I delivered my son this past summer. I was an avid runner before I got pregnant and really didn't want to give it up (except, like you said, had there been any danger to the baby, etc, etc). I did cut back on distance/mileage and speed work once I found out I was pregnant. My doctor gave me some simple guidelines--1) If I felt ok, it was probably ok; 2) If I noticed that my heartrate stayed elevated after a run it meant that I was doing too much; and, 3) Make sure I didn't overheat (I was due mid-August). 

I had pain/soreness that was very similar to what you described starting around the same time.  I bought a Gabriella Maternity Belt on the recommendation of some other runners (amazon sells them) and it helped tremendously. I did find that the belt ran small so I'd order a size bigger than you might normally wear. I wore a pair of compression shorts under it, primarily to help with any chaffing/chubb rub, but also because I found it sort of held everything together, if that makes any sense. I know that some people have ligament pain throughout, though I remember mine lessoning at some point--maybe around 25 weeks or so.

I also found that running every other day helped with the lingering soreness (both during and after the run). I eventually ended up running 30 minutes, three days a week, but managed to keep that up until I delivered. At the end, I took walk breaks when I needed them and never stressed about speed, etc. And, if my body felt like it needed a day off or if it was too hot, I'd take the day off and not worry about it. I just told myself that getting out there was good for me and good for the baby. I also set mini-goals for myself. For example, I'd tell myself that I'd try and run until week X and then see how I felt. When I got to week X and still felt good, I'd tell myself that I'd try and run until my next OB appoinment or week Y or whatever.

Also, at some point, I stopped fitting into my running clothes. I didn't want to invest in expensive pregnancy running clothes, so I went to Target and picked up some stuff from the men's department. I probably looked a bit ridiculous, but I figured I already looked ridiculous out there running/waddling so I didn't care. I figured at least this way, my husband could wear them to work out once I was done with them.  

Hope this helps. Good luck!

ETA: Sorry, this is so long, but I wanted to second Kargiver's suggestions about the multiple sports-bra bit. I'm small on top, so I got away with two. Now that I'm nursing and running, I'm still sporting the double sports bras. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

And don't let busy bodies (not us!) make you feel weird about exercising while pregnant!  As long as you're listening to your body's messages and being sensible and safe, you should be proud to keep exercising.  All the research (and lots of anectdotal evidence) show that a woman in good shape is a lot more likely to be successful with a vaginal delivery with fewer complications.  You can't prevent everything, but being in great shape certainly helps with the incredible endurance event that labor is. 

If you don't already, you could start encorporating some back strengthening yoga/calisthenics in the evenings.  The stronger your lower back muscles, the longer you'll be able to comfortably carry your growing belly around at fast speeds!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

look at this!
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/a-marathon-runner-delivers-a-baby/

This is a bit extreme though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi capecod - I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm a fairly avid runner, though I had cut back somewhat during the year prior to getting pregnant (TTC/undergoing fertility treatments, and my doc didn't want me working out too hard). I jogged through my first trimester, and then switched to the treadmill in the second, and somewhere between 20-25 weeks I started getting pelvic pain just like you described. My doctor told me it was my body's way of telling me to slow down; I basically switched to fast uphill treadmill walking and the elliptical at that point. I find that the elliptical doesn't cause me any pelvic pain, but walking still does. I hate to say that it has gotten worse for me over time, though it sounds like it improved in the third trimester for others (I'm 31.5 weeks). Even an active day of walking around or doing housework causes me some pain. I haven't tried a belt; my doctor didn't think it would do me much good, but keep us posted if you do try one.

And to chime in with the others, I've read in a few places that exercising during pregnancy is not only great for mom, but also really good for baby. I can't remember the specific claims, but good for their health, cognitive development, etc. Just a little more motivation to keep at it! Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The two runners I know who kept up their routine as their bodies allowed and under their doc's supervision, of course, said that birth was FAR easier and less painful than they expected.  One even went so far as to say, "It was really no big deal," and it wasn't a year later so she'd forgotten - it was next day at the hospital.  Neither of them got epidurals, and both had very healthy babies of reasonable weights.

Of course, this is totally anecdotal, but...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I ran all throughout my last pregnancy, although I decided to unofficially give it up after 37 weeks when I ran a 5K in 34:25 (because I was so proud of myself and wanted to end on a good note).  I ran about 10 miles a week or so, and I used a Gabriella band.  There was a time when I would feel sore a little bit after running, but once I started using the band the soreness generally went away.  I really needed the band around 25 weeks or so.  Betwen 20-25 weeks the band just didn't fit right and things still felt a little off, but once I had more belly to hold up, it worked out well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Kargiver,

You are correct on the exercising making delivery to be a lot easier.  I can only speak from my experience but I exercised up until 2 weeks before delivery with my first son and had a really quick and easy delivery.  For my second I exercised up until 3 weeks before delivery and had an even easier delivery.  I really think it has something to do with the stamina that you build when working out at the gym.  I did find that with my second pregnancy I wasn't able to do as much as with my first....I was just much more tired but that could also have been because I was working full time and looking after a 2 1/2 year old that constantly keep me on my toes.