Selecting a Pump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Selecting a Pump

Ok, I need to draw on the collective wisdom of all you ladies who have experience with breast pumps.  I am trying to decide between the Medela PIS and a PJs Comfort hospital grade pump.  My initial inclination is to go with the PJs Comfort since I can buy it for less than the PIS through a discount at my work.  However a few concerns:

1.  The PJ's comfort pump can only collect into the bottles sold by that company.  It appears from the website that the PIS could pump directly into the storage bags.  Is this a feature that you use often (say when pumping at work)?  Is it difficult to transfer milk from a bottle into the storage bags? 
    2.  Would you usually feed directly from the bottles that you've pumped into?  Do you transfer to another brand bottle?  Or are the different brand n*pples compatible with the medela collection bottles?

I guess you can figure out that my major hang up with the PJs Comfort is the fact that it only works with their collection bottles and I'm trying to figure out whether that is any different that it would be with a PIS.  I'd rather not be juggling milk from collection bottles to storage bags to feeding bottles, but if that is what it is going to be like no matter which pump I go with, then I might as well go with the hospital grade pump.

My plan at the moment is to BF but will be going back to work at 12 weeks and am very much planning on continuing to do a combo of BF/pumping for as long as I can.  I have no idea whether the BF will work for us, but I am pretty certain that I can make pumping work even if we end up EP.  Therefore, I am not too concerned about forking over the money for a pump now, but want to make sure I'm making the right decision.  I did call my insurance and they will not cover a pump except for a few extremem medical issues (in fact they wouldn't even be specific about when it was covered, just said that I'd have to submit the claim and see if it would be covered), so I do not think it is worth waiting for the baby to be born to see if its covered. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Selecting a Pump

I EP'd while on maternity leave with DD but transitioned to formula well before coming back b/c I knew I didn't want to pump at work.  I had not problem with the medela pis and found it powerful.  But I can't give you the working and pumping perspective.  However, I work with MANY women who pumped at work until at least the 1 yr mark.  All used the medeal PIS.  Medela products are very easy to come by - sold at target, even some pharmacy chains.  You can attach the bags to pump but you can also attach just about any standard bottle.  I think for convenience, especially on the days when you forget a piece, need to replace something, etc., going with the Medela makes sense. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I pumped 3x per day for several months at work with the Medela PIS.  I liked it - no complaints.  I pumped into the little yellow-capped medela bottles, which you can then either store in the fridge or the freezer.  I had a good store in the freezer when I was pumping before going back to work, but once at work I never had much in the freezer, so consolidating the amount I pumped into storage bags was not something I worried about.

You can buy medela bottles that can be used to feed the baby directly, but I never did this because there was never enough - at most I'd get 3oz from each breast, and that was only at the height of my supply.  So I would just pour as many little bottles as necessary, depending on how many oz she was taking, into a feeding bottle.  Medela parts are very easy to come by, like MM said, so that was always nice.  Good luck in your decision!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

bostongrl, I use the Medela PIS and pump directly into the medela 5oz bottles and am still using those bottles to feed the baby (who is 8 months old). Although, she never got picky about taking the bottle, some babies are picky.  So, you might be able to use the collection bottles as feeding bottles, I have 2 friends who have also done the same thing.  I never tried pumping into the storage bags, it seemed like a hassle and like they might spill easily.  I also only use the lansnioh storage bags for freezing because I like them better. 

I agree with others that the medela parts are easy to find which makes it convenient. Good luck! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I used a medela Freestyle and thought it was really great. I echo what the others say about the convenience of getting Medela supplies. I stored and froze milk in Lansinoh bags, however. They seem a much better design than the Medela ones. Also, it's not a huge deal to pump into bottles and later transfer to bags or feeding bottles. BM is incredibly hearty/resilient and doesn't need the same amount of precaution as other types of milk, like cow's milk. Really, if you're going to be bringing the pump back and forth to work, things like power, weight and battery life should be the main priorities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

It might be worth it to wait until the baby is born to get your pump.  Our insurance said the same thing and the midwife wrote us a script which allowed us to get the pump for free.  It's definately worth asking about at your next appt.

I pumped for about 9-10 months.  I had a Pump In Style. I never pumped into bags.  I had both the smaller (2.5 oz.) collection bottles and the 5 oz. Medela bottles.  I would collect as much as possible in the bottle and then either transfer to feeding bottles or the Lansinoh bags.  One of the mother's at DD's school pumps and gives her daughter milk from the Medela bottle. 

I agree with the others that its nice that the Medela parts are easy to find.  One time, I went to a local Isis to pick up parts that I'd forgotten at home! Good luck with your decision. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

everything everyone already said, especially that bit about not jumping the gun on buying a pump until later.  You're right to research now though.  Afterwards your brain won't be as good at doing the research as it is now. 

Also, I'm not sure about the other pump you mentioned but I know for a fact that the medela pump will pump into something other than the regulation brand name bottle.  I know this because at least three times I forgot to attach the bottles before turning the pump on and I pumped milk all over my lap and another time I forgot the bottles entirely and I had to pump into my washed-out coffee thermos (ah, the wonders of sleep deprivation!). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

also we stored milk by freezing it into covered ice cube trays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thanks ladies!  These comments are awesome!  I've picked up from other threads some of the details about making pumping at work easier (keeping the tubes in the fridge so you dont need to wash them every time, etc) but was unsure about the whole collection bottle/bag thing.  That is an excellent point about availability of extra parts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

For the most past, I pumped into bottles (I had the Pump in Style) but I kept the bags on had for those times when I forgot to wash bottles and had to run out the door to work. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nincyhh. Show nincyhh's posts

Disclaimers: I am a Board Certified Lactation Consultant x 16 years. I work with moms returning to work and teach the Pump Talk class at Isis Parenting. I'm employed by Isis.

That said: Get the FreeStyle. And a Simple Wishes pumping bustier. (don't bother with the FreeStyle "harness".). Both items (all BF supplies) are still 25% off at Isis through Sunday. Go Saturday morning and get it tax free. FreeStyle is usually $399 but is $285 with 25% discount and tax free. This is less than even the regular price of the Pump in Style and a MUCH better pump.
    When you buy your pump at Isis, you'll get a free 2 hour class (Pump Talk) that teaches you all the tips and tricks for supply, storage, combining nursing and pumping, and logistics for return to work. The class ususally costs $45 but it's free with the pump.

The PJ is a fine pump but much bigger, heavier, lacks many of the better features of the FreeStyle (or even PNSA - Pump In Style Advanced) and spare parts are not readily available, like different flange sizes.
    Hope this helps! I'm all about helping moms succeed with their goals of breastfeeding and/or pumping! Smile
    Nancy Holtzman, RN, BSN, IBCLC, RLC

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Nancy - several people had said that the suction of the Freestyle is not as food as the PISA - have you used both or have clients that have used both?  I had decided on the Freestyle for reasons I expanded on in the post called Pump in style vs Freestyle in the infants and Toddlers board... I now have an unopened Freestyle and I am deliberating if I should exchange it for a PISA.  

Your thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nincyhh. Show nincyhh's posts

In Response to Re: Selecting a Pump:
    For all quality breastpumps, the vacuum strength (negative pressure, mmHG) is controlled to be regulated to 180-240 to prevent too much suction which can cause damage.
    Comments I hear regarding comparing the two pumps (PNSA vs FS) is that the PNSA is "jerky-er" while the FS is smoother and more rhthmic. I think the convenience of the FS when paired with the Simple Wishes hands-free bustier (don't bother with the included "harness"), and, the ability to program the FS for your own ideal pumping "pattern" (for example: 2 min Stimulation, 5 min. Milk Removal, 2 min. Stimulation, 2 min. Milk Removal, 1 min. Stimulation, 1 min. Milk Removal, shut off). wins, hands down.
    Rarely have I found a mom who prefers the PNSA over the FS, and I do find the FS is almost as good as a Symphony rental, which is not the case with the PNSA. Hope this helps.
    Nancy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I want to second the "wait to buy" advice. My insurance company said the same thing, but I ended up walking out of the hospital with a Medela PISA that was completely covered. I'm not back at work yet, but pump once a day to build a stash and have found it to work really well. I even used the battery pack to pump in the car the other night while DH and I went out for the first time (Journey concert!)
    I pump into the bottles that came with it and then transfer to storage bags or advent bottles. It's really easy to transfer.