September 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: September 2012 Pregnancy

welcome, crackers!  I am having my second also and I also have those pinches on the side in my lower abdomen.  I tend to get them more when I'm lounging and I twist around.

I had a rainy wedding day, too!  And I agree that people say it's lucky so that you'll feel good.  Although it didn't actually bother me one bit.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Silver - Good luck on your move! There are so many awesome things about that part of the country! 

Welcome Crackers! I'm only having my first, but I do get mild AF type cramps for a few minutes every day or two. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that  AF was arriving any minute. My philosophy is that if you're not bleeding, you're fine. There are too many random twinges and whatnot to get worked up over. I'm sure my logic is flawed, but it helps me relax, so I'm sticking to it! :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Congrats crackers, MissWolff, and Jleighla!  Here's to sticky thoughts for all of you.  :)

Also Crackers - I get both of the types of cramps that others are talking about.  I do have very mild AF-type cramps from time to time (although not as much as before....I am 9.5 weeks now).  And, I didn't have these type of cramps with my first pregnancy.  I also get the pinches on the side in my lower abdomen, I think those are called round ligament pain?  I did get those with my first pregnancy, and similar to Medford, it is usually at night when I am twisting around in bed or stretching.  Hope that helps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My philosophy is that if you're not bleeding, you're fine.

[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to add that even if you are bleeding your LO CAN be okay.  I bled all the way through week 13 (heavy, AF -like bleeding) and then spotted until week 16 and I have a happy, healthy 3 month old at home.  Not to say you shouldn't call the doctor if you see blood but don't automatically think it's over for you.  As my doctor said, "some women just bleed, you're one of them".  I seriously hope this isn't the case for any of you because talk about stress! But I wanted to throw it out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, it's how "I Didn't Know I Was Preegnant" ended up being a multi-season show!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Sorry in advance for a random lurker post. I often check in to see if there are posts of babies' births. I realized today that I haven't seen cicirose in a while. Has anyone heard from her?? Hoping she's just very busy with a lovely newborn!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Thanks for the info, Silver and kar. I thought the m/c risk was tied to the first trimester, so I'm glad you guys cleared that up. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Congrats and welcome to the new BFPs!

I'm 8.5 weeks with #2. I had my first appointment today and got to see a heartbeat, which was a relief! This time around I've had almost no morning sickness. I was constantly sick the first time around...so I was a little worried this time because I haven't been sick.

Other than being completely exhausted all the time, I'm doing great. My due date is April 29, which doesn't seem that far away. Time is flying...I think that is because I'm so busy chasing a toddler. Don't know how we'll ever manage with two, but looking forward to it!

Can't wait to be through the first trimester so that I can share the news. I feel like I'm already showing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to jleighla7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, Silver and kar. I thought the m/c risk was tied to the first trimester, so I'm glad you guys cleared that up. 

[/QUOTE]

It's a common misconception since 12 weeks is roughly the end of the first trimester and doctors even will say that to their patients because it's easier and quicker than explaining further and more precisely (and lots of women don't ask - or care - because they don't realize it might not quite add up).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maple, I bet you aren't showing as much as you feel like you are; bloating isn't usually noticeable to others...hang in there, 3 1/2 more weeks!  

Sticky thoughts and prayers to all the ladies in the first 12 weeks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I hear ya Maple! Congratulations on your positive appointment. At the end of the day, I have marks on my stomach and hips from my pants and undies. It's kind of horrifying. I'm already using cocoa butter on my hips. I'm loving what it's doing to the stretch marks I already have. Why didn't anyone give me this when I was 10!

Also, something I thought I'd pass on, I've been feeling a lot better since I started taking Vitamin D again. I've read a few studies and it seems that up to 4000 IU are recommended for pregnant women for a whole variety of reasons. I'm taking 2000 IU every morning and my nausea is about gone. I don't know if that's related, but it's certainly not hurting!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

chiclet - what kind of cocoa butter?  where do you buy?  when do you apply - morning, night, both?  does it feel greasy/gross?  i didn't do that for my first PG and have pretty horrifying stretch marks.  your post makes me think that perhaps i should give it a whirl!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I got the Palmer's Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks at Wal-Mart, just in with the regular lotion section. The bottle says to use it 3 times a day, I just do it before bed and after my morning shower right now. As I get bigger, I may consider increasing that. I don't think it feels too greasy. It's a pretty thick lotion. I can feel the difference between the places I put it and the places I don't, but I don't feel particularly slimy. Puberty hit me pretty hard and I have a lot of faded stretch marks from that but I swear this makes them look smoother. I also bought the Tummy Butter that you're supposed to use at night, but I feel like I'm not to the point yet where I need intense night therapy or whatever they call it. The lotion only cost $6, so even if you hate it, you've probably wasted more money on worse things. (That's the way I look at everything!)

Does anyone know if Winchester Hospital has midwives or is it just MDs? I was going to take the tour there but I'm leaning more towards a midwife and I can't find one that goes there. I got a recommendation for an MD, so maybe if I really like the hospital, I can go with him and a doula and that might balance out my concerns? I'm so anxious about picking a doctor. It feels like I'm losing my mind over it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - I am planning on Winchester Hospital, too (meet you there!), which is where my older DD was born.  As far as I can figure out they don't have midwives, but I haven't truly called and asked yet.  I just looked at their provider directory online.

I'm also considering a doula, which is why I was asking cwagner about it (she gave a lot of good info a couple of pages back).  But I haven't truly started researching that either.

I'm also considering at least going to the info session for the midwives at mount auburn.  But I'm dragging my feet on really making a decision.  IMO, if you're going with an OB, it matters more that you enjoy your office visits, because there are a lot of them, and the chances are you won't have your OB for the delivery.

I'm hoping I'll be more motivated to do research and decisions once I get to feeling better and also feel like I've cleared that 12 week-ish window.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Medford - we'll be arm-wrestling for who gets to sit in the tub! :-) 

I'm taking the tour at Winchester and Beverly Hospitals next week. Anna Jacques in Newburyport is having an open house on October 18th where you can meet the providers. I really like that idea and Newburyport is the closest to me but I don't know if I should wait until 13 weeks to pick a provider.

I'm totally freaking out about the office visits. Despite being the daughter of a nurse and working in hospitals for 5 years, I *hate* doctor's visits. I had a meltdown getting my blood drawn at the RE the last time. I didn't see it coming, but there I was, bawling in the lab while they were drawing (no joke) 10 vials of blood. I'm so scared to go to a doctor's office. But I think I just need to pick one and get it over with. That's also why I was considering hiring a doula so at least there will be someone besides DH who I know has my back in the delivery room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Chiclet - pre-pg I was terrified of getting my blood drawn.  I would bawl the whole time and one time required a second nurse to hold me still.  But once I was pg I kept thinking to myself this is for the baby and not me.  It helped me get through it without any tears.  Perhaps if you use the same mindset regarding the doctors visits you'll feel the same way.  It's worth a shot!  Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks CLC. My thing is that I've been tested for everything already at the RE (twice now). I'm willing to do the blook panels and whatever else that could have changed since then, exactly like you said that I want to do what will keep me and/or the baby healthy. But I don't want to get tested for all those things a third time so that a doctor can check off a box. My plan is to bring them my lab results from my last round of testing and beg them to take that instead of testing it all again. I'm going to tell whomever my provider is that I prefer a minimalist approach to testing and intervention and see what they say. I can't be the first person who doesn't like doctors to have a baby, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - I am the exact same way.  I do the same thing CLC said (thinking it's for the baby) and I also chew gum (releases some tension), look away, and sing or hum to myself.  It stinks, but I did get through it.  Also, my OB does not draw at the office and I have to go to a lab.  If that happens to you, go to the lab you like best.  I went to one closest to my house and the lady said something like, "well, you'd better get used to it if you're going to have a baby!"  And then I karate chopped her.

No, I didn't - it was more of a judo move ;) - but after that I went to the lab at Winchester Hospital and they could not be nicer.  I love them so much.  We've taken DD there as well and they're great with her.  That said, I completely agree with your plan to take your test results and ask to avoid duplicate testing.  So reasonable!

In that same thread, a provider would generally want to see you before 13 weeks (although I don't know if having seen the RE means it's not needed?) - mine wants you around 8 to 10 weeks.  But don't be afraid to change providers!!  You can pick one and go, and then if you don't like them or you meet one you love at the open house, definitely switch!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi everyone! I haven't checked in for a while and am so happy and surprised to see all these new pregnancies. Congrats to you all and a very healthy and happy 9 months!!!

Have there been any recent birth announcements? I didn't see any but if so, congratulations to the new mamas. I know there were a few of us due around the same time.

So my announcement...we have a BOY! After dealing with all the stress and worry at the end of the pregnancy, everything turned out perfect and our little guy is small but very healthy. He was born 9/7 at 5lbs 11.5oz but has been gaining weight like crazy and was already 6.5lbs at his two week check up (up over a pound from his hospital discharge weight). I was induced at 39 weeks and the actual labor and delivery were pretty quick but I had to deal with a long cervical ripening process prior to the induction. I'd be happy to share more details about it if anyone is interested but don't want to bore everyone with the details if not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats Cici!  I'm always back here lurking and was hoping to see something from you.  Great news about the weight gain!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Congrats cici!

Question for you all...has anyone experienced extremely sore feet? Not like swollen and sore, but the tops of feet sore. The tops of my feet are killing me...seems like my bones. I had a lot of post-partum joint pain last pregnancy and I wonder if this is a similar issue (water retention, etc). If so I think I'm in big trouble for some massive feet swelling this time around...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Congrats cici!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, cici!  Great news!!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats Cici! I'm glad your little guy is doing his growing on the outside. I hope your induction went well.

I'm going on my first hospital tour tonight. Any advice of things I should make sure I get answers to?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats cici!

chicklet, probably too late, but if you're anti c section unless absolutely necessary, I'd ask about their c section rate.  Some hospitals are more prone to go that route than others and there are wider definitions of "necessary" than one might assume.  (I'm not intending to make any commentary on c sections.)