SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Re: SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

jennifr--I went to MGH for my care, and the thing with having an appt before 8 weeks is that can't really tell you anything about the health of your baby at that point unless you get an ultrasound.  And early ultrasound isn't really indicated for most patients. A doppler doesn't work until 10-12 weeks or so (depends on the mom's size and where the baby is hanging out).  

However, if you have questions about what meds are safe to use during pregnancy, don't wait to ask them!  Call the OB office number (724-BABY) during business hours, say you are a patient of Dr. So-and-so, and ask your question.  A nurse will look into it and call you back. (She will consult your doctor if necessary).

ALso, MGH does most of the patient education about pregnancy safety/guidelines during the nurse phone call, not the first OB visit.  THe nurse phone call is typically scheduled a bit earlier than the first OB visit.

If you have a history of miscarriage and would like an earlier ultrasound, call the OB office number and ask to talk to your doctor or her nurse about whether you might be able to get an earlier ultrasound, while explaining your concerns and medical history.  My MGH OB was able to schedule an ultrasound before my first appointment due to my prior miscarriage.  (She was clear that this was for my own peace of mind and not medically required, but I was glad to have it.  And it turned out to be very important medically in my 2nd pregnancy, but no one could have predicted that....)  

Anyway, you won't see your OB at the ultrasound appointment, but you will get to talk to the OB or midwife who is covering the ultrasound that day and they will advise you on whether things look good.  Typically this is done around 7 weeks or so, when they can expect to see a heartbeat and get a sign of whether things look healhty.

Overall, I was pleased with my experience at MGH, and I was glad I got my care there!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Just realized - CONGRATS JEN AND ALMOST! 

Good luck Thistle! You're almost there!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congrats Jen adn Almost!

Chiclet, thanks!  I had better be almost there, I seriously can't take this much longer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thistle, anything special you are doing as you prepare to go from 1 to 2 kids?  Please remind me how old your other child is?  My DS (3 in 4 weeks) is starting to really use his future brother's name in funny ways (we've already selected a name, we told DS our two top choices and he picked... and I was rooting for that one too!).  He was sorting through some stuffed animals the other day and said "this one on my bed, this one here, this one DS2 can have..."  it was so cute!

I passed my glucose test.  And they didn't call about any anemia, which I had last time.  So that's good too (those iron pills are nasty!).  Hosted a bbq this weekend and didn't realize how much I was overdoing it, until I actually ovedid it.  I had so much energy and was bouncing all around taking food in and out and playing with all the kids.  After everyone left and I sat down I was like "whoa... my hips!"  Thankfully, I'm not a huge medicine taker, so two tylenol actually did the trick.  Sleeping is getting silly, and I have to kinda roll off the bed toward to floor to get up.  I'm having way more braxton hicks this time around...at least I think that's what they are.  The top and sides of my stomach get really hard.  Not so much the bottom or toward my pelvis.  So I assume that's what they are.  Never painful, just incredibly awkward and can sometimes make me quite winded since they push into my lungs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

IPW, we're not doing much special.  My daughter is not even two, so her ability to understand what's going to happen is pretty limited.  We do talk about "baby brother" a lot, and it's actually helped that we've started to accumulate some baby stuff, so there's a car seat for baby brother and that kind of thing--I think that all makes it feel more concrete to her.  Today at dinner she randomly said, "Baby brother!" and I said, "what about him?" and she said, "He back soon."  So, she knows that he's coming, at least, but I'm not sure that she really has her mind around the whole thing.  

I feel like I've been having occasional contractions for weeks now.  Plus my hip situation is so bad I can't walk much anymore, which is not great with my toddler.  Seriously, ready for this baby any time!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks for the Congrats Ladies!!

Jenifyer - Congrats to you on #2 as well. I remember you being a couple of months behind me last pregnancy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

IPW, high five in passing the glucose test and avoiding anemia. Sorry to hear about the hip pain. I've been waking up at night with ridiculous hip pain too, switching sides, then repeating the process. Ugh.

Has anyone used a theracane? It's amazing. I love mine. It looks like a giant candy cane with little knobs . It helps you get knots you can't reach and even comes with a pamphlet outlining effective ways to use it.

IPW's question about preparing older kids makes me think of the issue DH and I have been talking about with preparing pets too. Has anyone brought a new baby into the house with dogs? How did they handle it and what did you do?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hey WPP.  My DD2 is 3 months old... but I'm still lurking on these boards!  In answer to your question about dogs - I think it probably depends on your dog (temperament, age,  breed, etc).  I will offer my experience with my golden retriever.  He is 7, so he was our first baby (DD1 is 3 years old).  I think dogs are very intuitive and they probably know that you are pg and sense that something is going on.  I think my dog already knew my daughters before we even brought them home!  My dog became my shadow when I was pg... so I think he became somewhat protective even before they were born.  We didn't do this - but I've heard that you can bring home a blanket or a onesie that the baby has worn when you are still in the hospital to get the dog used to their scent before you come home.  Also you probably want to give the dog some time to get used to the baby and don't leave the baby alone in a spot where the dog could reach him/her.  Also, be prepared for your dog to be somewhat protective of the new baby.  My dog barks a little bit more when people come over.  Not in mean way, but just to kind of say.. "hey... I know your here... and I'm watching you with my baby".  Our dog considers himself the third parent I swear!  He also sleeps right near DD's rock-n-play and is always in the same room as she is no matter what.  But I think these things tend to ring true for golden retrievers. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, ALS, that's helpful! I have two 3 yo pugs. One is very mellow and seems to have mastered English and possibly quantum physics and the other is very playful and a social butterfly. They both like to follow us around the house and cuddle on the couch. MellowPug loves to sleep with his head on my belly; he's very intuitive and I'm sure he knows something is happening. We're working with PlayfulPug on barking less and not jumping on people when they come over (he wants to shower them with love, but that's not the way to do it!). 

I've heard of having them smell the blanket, but since we're doing the Cambridge birth center instead of a hospital, I'm not sure of the logistics; the birth center sends you home (if all is well) between 6-12 hours after the birth. 

I'm hoping they don't get jealous of the new baby since they won't be on our laps all the time. And we'd like to get PlayfulPug a little calmer around people so he doesn't accidentally scratch the baby or something. Most of the time when we're home they like to run around the backyard or sleep on the couch with their bones. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We taught our exuberant Lab to stay "Off" when she was a puppy (before she was an 80 lb wrecking ball!) by using a can of coins for aversion and treats for obedience.  It helps, too, to have a leash on to let the dog know what "Off" means by pulling him down when you say it. Shake the can making a loud noise dogs don't care for, control behavior by the leash, and treat when he doesn't jump. Pretty soon he'll know and obey the Off command.  You can probably do it without the noise given he's not a puppy - the leash control might be enough for him to grasp the concept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.petco.com/caresheets/dog/Dog_New_Baby.pdf

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/pets_babies.html

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/introducing-your-dog-your-new-baby

Lots of good information available on the internet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--Our dog trainer highly recommended this blog:

http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/blog/

The idea is that dogs and babies should have a sort of parallel existence. You want both parties to be relaxed, but you don't want to encourage too much interaction between the two.

I will say my high energy, lovable doofus of a 1 year old dog really stepped up to being a good "big brother" to our baby.  He keeps an eye on her, but pretty much leaves her alone. And the couple times he has taken the initiative to steal a baby toy, he actually has just laid it down next to him and made a guilty face, rather than tear around the house trying to initiate a game of chase.  I give him a lot of credit, since baby toys and dog toys look pretty much teh same. 

It helped that we hired extra help with a great dog walker and daycare service, so that our dog was not deprived of attention when our focus shifted suddenly to the new baby.

If you want to up the ante with training your more high energy dog, I would also highly recommend the Manners Minder product.  It is a fabulous training program (it comes with a very helpful DVD), and can be used to get your dog to focus on something else, when he is in the way or being a nuisance.  (It can help with not charging people at the door, for example.)  It's a bit pricy but it's been a totally worthwhile investment for us.  More helpful and less expensive than our dog training class.  And, if used effectively, if dog becomes too barky or too interested in baby, you can have him "go to his mat" and sit there for 20 minutes eating a very slow meal or snack.  It's great! Google "manners minder" and watch some of the youtube videos that come up to see waht I mean.

Also, you are a brave lady heading home 6-12 hours after the birth! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never heard of being sent home 6 hours after birth.  Maybe it's fine, but I'd find out why in our "kick you out of the hospital asap no matter why you were admitted" insurance driven world every other place keeps you longer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar, that's just the thing about birth centers. You're not in a hospital, it doesn't work the same. Having your baby at a birthing center changes your birth from a medical procedure (if all goes well) to a natural event. If WPP needed to, she could get transferred to a hospital at any time, including after the baby is delivered. But hopefully she doesn't and she can just take home her healthy newborn. I didn't find my hospital stay particularly restful anyway.

WPP - I've heard really good things about Cambridge Birth Center. I wanted to deliver at the North Shore Birth Center but we ended up with meconium and had to get transferred to the hospital right at the beginning. I was heartbroken. If there's a second Baby Chiclet, I hope to have the whole birth center experience that I missed out on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, interesting, Chicklet, thanks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Random question: I went to look at their website because I was curious about them, what happens if there are more than 3 women there to give birth at the same time?

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for all of the dog info, everyone! DH and I will be sifting through those web sites.

Chiclet did a good job of explaining the birth center. Also, it's not that they kick you out exactly--if you feel like you need to stay longer, want help breastfeeding, etc, then they won't make you leave. And if there's a medical emergency like the meconium Chiclet mentioned they transfer you to Cambridge Hospital next door. They have a list of what requires a transfer. It doesn't happen much but they do drills and say it takes 1 min, 46 sec to get there (it's on the same "campus"). 

Northern, I asked that same question! They said it's never happened. I think they're kind of in awe of it never being a problem in 20+ years (I forget how long they've been there). If it were to happen, you'd be admitted to the hospital. You wouldn't get that birth center experience unfortunately, but Cambridge Hospital is pretty pro-midwife and has the lowest C-section rate in the state, so it's not hugely far apart from the birth center. 

Chiclet, I've really liked the birth center so far. I've heard great things from women who have had births there too. I didn't know there was another birth center on the North Shore too! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a comforting proximity, good to know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

WPP, just wanted to add that DH and I would have loved to leave the hospital within a few hours of giving birth, but we had to stay for 24 hours. DS was born at 2 pm on a Wednesday and we sat around all day Thursday waiting to be discharged. Also, the nurses kept trying to take DS away from us to do various tests, and we had to insist that they do the tests in our room (one nurse said "oh, you're afraid of us switching your baby with another one?"). I found the hospital experience stressful, and I would've loved to spend that next day at home snuggling DS in our bed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

JL--That's ridiculous that they kept trying to take the baby out of the room! I just wanted to add for any pg ladies though that a hospital experience doesn't necessarily equate with them trying to take the baby out of the room and generally being unhelpful or unsupportive of natural birth.

After my delivery, docs or nurses never once tried to remove the baby from our room. All routine testing and care is delivered there, and if the baby needs something special/extra, they encourage one of the parents to go with the baby.  (There are signs posted everywhere saying you have this right.) My baby never needed to leave our room.

I appreciated the recovery time at the hospital.  Meals were delivered. Nurses helped out with diaper changes.  Nurses and an LC helped me get used to breastfeeding (which was enormously helpful). Nurses coached me on newborn care and what to expect when we go home. And overall, I got way more sleep than I ever would have at home for those two days. 

A lot of the "scary" things I heard about hospital births didn't come to pass.  They defaulted to intermittent fetal monitoring, so that I wasn't tethered while in labor. I was able to make use of a great jacuzzi tub. We had over an hour of skin-to-skin after birth before they did routine testing at the warmer in the delivery room.  Rooming in was the norm. Nurses were very dedicated to helping with BFing. 

I heard so much during pg about hospital deliveries being this antagonistic non-baby-friendly or mom-friendly experience, and that wasn't at all what I found. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Jen & Almost! I will tentatively join you as newly pregnant! My EDD is May 7 but it's still so early...

WPP - you almost make me want to consider going to Cambridge for my next one. I still wouldn't because I would not want to make the drive there while in labor when I have another hospital just 5 minutes away but it does sound like a great place.

I appreciated the time in the hospital after delivery, with the nurses changing the diapers and waking me up to feed DS (because DH was not reliable and DS and I were both very sleepy at first). They did take DS a couple times and did not make it seem like we had the option to go too. I think next time we will question it and try to go with him for everything.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

My experience was much like Siena, but I think we both delivered at Mass General.  My daughter never left the room, except once when we asked that they take her for 2 hours so I could rest between feedings - I was just so exhausted!  I also appreciated the nurses nd lactation consultants and food delivery.  I also loved the adjustable hospital bed, but I ended up needing a c-section, so the special bed really helped me in being able to get up and out, and back in.  I remember when I got home and to my own bed, it was so painful to get in and out of it without being able to lower it or use a safety handle.  But, I think everyone has a different perception of what their ideal is.  My mom had my brother at home, and it sounds like a birthing center sort of bridges the gap between a hospital and a home birth. 
    Cool!

As for the dog question, we have two lab-mixes and they were great.  We also had done basic obedience training beforehand, and tried to get the dogs used to baby things before the birth.  For example, you can walk them next to an empty stroller, or one with a doll in it, so they get used to walking next to a stroller.  You can also turn on the swing for a few minutes, or the vibrating bouncy seat, so they get used to some of the new gadgets and sounds.  We brought home one of the baby's caps so they could smell it.  Even if you only have 6-12 hours, you could have your DH go in the door first to greet the dogs, and let them sniff the hat or blanket before you come in with baby.  Our trainer told us to let the dogs sniff the baby nd not to punish them or reprimand them for being curious.  Of course, you have to be sure they are not going to bite or harm, but let them do some sniffing - this is how they learn. 

In addition to the websites above, some other good ones are:

http://positively.com/2013/07/16/how-to-safely-introduce-your-dog-to-your-new-baby/

http://familypaws.com/ - this one has two programs for preparing for baby with dogs, and introducing baby to dogs. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

There is a lot of discussion of the Cambridge birthing center on the Somerville Moms list and people say how they have a good experience with the hospital even if they had wanted the birthing center experience.  I have a friend personally who has gone to the birthing center for all 3 of her kids, and all 3 times ended up transferring to the hospital, but didn't regret any part of it.  Still liked the birthing center, found the transfer to be just fine, liked the hospital.

I will readily admit I liked staying in the hospital for 2 days, especially after the second child.  Like someone else said, they bring you food.  :)  And I was super exhausted after being up for 21 hours and doing at least 6 hours of that in active labor standing up (couldn't get comfy except for standing).  It is true that there are a lot of people in a hospital - but last time there was a "do not disturb" sign and we made use of it.  Doctors on rounds and required nurse checks still came, I think, but no one came to collect food trays, refill supplies, et cetera, until we took down the sign.  It was great.

You should definitely know that you have the right to stay with your baby 100% of the time... but you should also not feel bad if you want him to go to the nursery while you get a big chunk of sleep.  You have to help yourself, too.  It's whatever works for you!  Both in L&D and after, don't hesitate to ask questions and to ask for what you want.  That was something I really learned after the first, and it made the second experience so much better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I delivered at Mass General last time too, and they never tried to take the baby away from me--all the testing and so forth took place in our room.  They also were very good about giving me the baby right away (I had a vaginal birth) so we could do the skin to skin thing.  I had been worried about that and was relieved that they weren't whisking her away from me.  I had to be induced, so I had to be tethered to an IV pole the whole time, which I really hated.  And I'm not sure they were friendly to natural birth, but they weren't hostile to my desire to avoid other interventions aside from the induction.  I also liked having a couple of days in the hospital last time, especially because I think it helped with learning to nurse--I would hit the button for the nurses every time I wanted to get her latched on for at least the first 24 hours.  Overall I was happy enough that I plan to deliver there again this time. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've heard good things about MGH too. Everyone I've talked to who delivered there really liked their OBs and nurses. 

My baby shower was this weekend and it was great. I couldn't believe how generous people were. And then, of course, I've already used some of the gift cards we got to pick up baby items we didn't get at the shower. :)

My parents were also here this weekend--it was nice to see them because they live far away and we see each other about four times a year--but at the same time it has absolutely reinforced that I really want them to wait at least a few weeks to come stay with us after the baby's born (and they want to stay for a week or two which I definitely can't handle).

(Rant starting here >>> There's no way that DH and I will be able to take care of a baby, our dogs, and my parents. They've always been a little high maintenance, but we've reached a new level. I feel bad saying this because they're great people, extremely generous, really excited about being grandparents...but I can't even leave them alone with my dogs (bad things) and I need to plan dinners and entertainment and tend to their emotional needs. I just can't do it, and now they're insisting that they come ASAP after she's born even though we talked about waiting a few weeks for DH and I to bond as a family and figure some things out on their own. My mom keeps talking about making plane reservations and wants to know NOW...we have no idea when the baby will come! It could be a week before my due date or two weeks after.