Things I wish someone had warned me about...!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Re: Things I wish someone had warned me about...!

Trouble - I think winter is tough b/c the big coats obscure bellies to some degree. That being said, I think some use that as an excuse to "not notice."  I worked up until my due date and very rarely was offered seats even at 9 mos pregnant. Even with a large coat, I think it became pretty obvious at that point. I take a commuter shuttle to and from the medical area and that was the worst. Nobody ever offered a seat on that thing!  I can count the offers on one hand. Ridiculous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Lemon, I'm dying.  I so wish you had a video of that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Lemon!  That's hysterical! 

I have yet to be offered a seat on the bus, but I am only 6 months...although I have just started to show through my down coat.  I have also started to exaggerate the waddle and the belly-stroke/cradle...  I do look much more pregnant in my spring coat which I wore today.  I'll have to bust that one out more often. 

This is a great thread...I look forward to the colostrum leakage - ha! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I actually enjoyed the colostrum leaking. It got me excited for the main event.

I think the belly-stroking is key to scoring a seat. People are scared they'll offer and then you'll get offended because you're just disproportionately fat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

love this thread! 

I wish someone told me about:
    -hip pain
    -that morning sickness feels like the worst hangover you've ever had, but never goes away, not even after you throw up
    -that the 2nd trimester is the best thing ever and you should take advantage of every second with your new energy, big b--bs and glow! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Agreed this is a really good thread!

I wish I had known about:
    - how early in pregnancy the super frequent peeing starts!  By 6 weeks I was running to the restroom a lot.  ... and how as soon as you finish you just have to pee again as soon as you stand up.  Weird because at that time that baby is like an inch and a half or something.
    - that the sharp pains when your cough or sneeze are normal... when I asked i found out that it is your y-ligaments stretching because your uterus needs to rise.  Wish I had known that because the first time I felt like I was being stabbed in the lower abdomen and was afraid something happened with the baby.

Guess I have the colostrum leakage to look forward to and hoping the 2nd trimester energy comes soon!  15weeks and still waiting for that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I wish someone had warned me that it's not all magical.  While being pregnant and having a newborn are extraordinary and miraculous and joyful, they're also challenging, exhausting, and scary.

I never heard about that part from friends, or family or even pop culture. Everybody makes it sound so easy and blissful and fun, so I spent some time feeling badly for occasionally being tired or frustrated.

Now I know it's totally NORMAL to feel that way, but I really wish someone had told me, back then.  Not in a scary fear mongering way, but in a supportive way.  So I'm posting this as a public service :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I never knew how out of breath I would be! It comes and goes, but it is getting ridiculous and since if you don't know me I am still in the "is she chubby or pregnant?" phase, the huffing and puffing just makes me look more out of shape! It's making me nervous for when I actually get really big.
    Also wish I hadn't counted on the 2nd trimester being the golden time right from the beginning. My morning sickness didn't go away until 18/19 weeks and by that time I had decided I hated pregnancy and would be miserable the entire time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I probably wouldn't have listened to this if someone had warned me, but I wish I hadn't wasted money on designer baby clothing. Not because it was more expensive -- I bought it all at Marshalls and such -- but because it was total garbage. All the Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein/etc. stuff had big, scratchy tags and weird sizing. The RL stuff was particularly awful -- the sizing was WAY off, the fabrics were too heavy and stiff, and it all had uncomfortable collars and small neck holes and very poor or complicated access to the diaper. And some of it said, "NOT SLEEPWEAR" right on it. Like I was supposed to wake the baby for a quick change if she happened to fall asleep in it. I loved going to the store to look at the baby stuff while I was pregnant, but I wish I'd just looked. I must have spent hundreds on stuff that I used once and never again. It was much better when I went with brands that are actually infant brands like Carter's or Hanna Anderson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Oh, the train! I knew people would be rude and not offer a seat - but what surprised me was how freaked out I was about it. Even at 9 months, I could physically handle standing up without a problem, but people swinging bags, squishing close together and pushing me up against poles and just being oblivious on the train really, honestly scared me!

One time I was on a very crowded train and people were moving to get off at Park Square and I let out such a scream of terror (couldn't even control it) of "don't squash my belly!" that literally the whole train turned around. Good, hopefully it taught them something.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

How your privacy is gone. Your weight gain is public conversation piece. Your breats, well fair game!

I was actually asked if I could break my water in a meeting to have it end (so someone didn't actually have to present their info and get grilled).

After you give birth your vajayjay is up for conversation/comment too. How it stretched, never the same, blah blah blah. Then if they hear you had a c-section "oh good, you're the same down there!" um, thanks? People assuming they know why you had a c-section, and what you could have done to avoid it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

As long as we are talking about stuff....

Don't buy an expensive carriage or baby carrier/sling. The huge carriage is alot to deal with when you are adjusting to just getting the baby out the door. Get a snap and go carriage for the carseat for the first few months second hand - $15-20 at Children's Orchard or a yard sale, it's light weight, it's cheap and you can just leave it in the car. I absolutely love mine.

Also, if you spend the full $90 on the baby bjorn or ergo, you've guaranteed that your baby will not like it! Wait until the babies arrives and then figure out what works for the two of you!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Being pregnant was like Opposite Day.  Most other women seem to be cold a lot and then overheated when pregnant.  I'm overheated all the time and when I was pregnant I was absolutely freezing.
    Love pizza -- /> hate pizza.
    et cetera.
    I wish we hadn't bought an expensive pack and play.  I think people who have two levels use them a lot, but we don't have two levels and we only use it when we travel.  We could have gotten something much simpler.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The said pack n' play.  Well it doesn't come with a freakin' sheet.  So you need to order one separately.  Just weird in my book.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I wish someone told me that MS can last longer than 12 weeks.  All my friends with kids told me "don't worry, it will be like a light switch at 12 weeks, you'll feel like a new person!!"  (either that or friends that never had MS at all!!)  It took till 16-17 weeks for me and it wasn't until the end that my neighbor who is a nurse said, don't worry give it to 16, you'll feel better soon!  So I wish I had known it could last so long!  

I'll chime back in once I have this kid!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Things I wish someone had warned me about...!:
    [QUOTE]As long as we are talking about stuff.... Don't buy an expensive carriage or baby carrier/sling. The huge carriage is alot to deal with when you are adjusting to just getting the baby out the door. Get a snap and go carriage for the carseat for the first few months second hand - $15-20 at Children's Orchard or a yard sale, it's light weight, it's cheap and you can just leave it in the car. I absolutely love mine. Also, if you spend the full $90 on the baby bjorn or ergo, you've guaranteed that your baby will not like it! Wait until the babies arrives and then figure out what works for the two of you!
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]

I warned you about that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

I had too many people warn me about how much BFing would hurt and milk coming in would hurt. I was determined to do it regardless, but I got a lot of foolish advise too. Like scrub your nipples to toughen them up! I had so much anxiety about BFing, when the moment came to try it, it was intense. It wasn't painful for me (especially when you have just given birth!). That is why people don't warn you about all these things, it is different for everyone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

[QUOTE]The said pack n' play.  Well it doesn't come with a freakin' sheet.  So you need to order one separately.  Just weird in my book.
    Posted by SarahInActon[/QUOTE]

Ha!  So right.  Why couldn't they throw in a $5 sheet???

Oh and Amazon.com moms is the absolute best when it comes to diapers.  30% off!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] I got a lot of foolish advise too. Like scrub your nipples to toughen them up!
    Posted by trhoward[/QUOTE]

Hey, that totally worked for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]And the increase in body hair.  I know it's probably not a common symptom, but I was like a werewolf, seriously.  My "happy trail" was like a "happy blanket" haha.  I had that cute rounded belly Sarah was longing for, but covered by a pelt of hair!  Fortunately, it all fell out after the baby.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

My stomach got fuzzier too!!  On the other hand, the hair on my legs got more fine (finer?).

Medford - I'm glad you said that about the pack n play.  I didn't get one because we're on one floor and I also didn't think we had room.  We can always get one later if we need it.

Hmmmm most symptoms weren't too surprising to me, but I was surprised that:
    - I started getting winded so early - around 18 weeks I think.
    - I didn't get any stretch marks.
    - My body isn't completely destroyed as I always feared.  I have no clue how I am going to get rid of this tummy, but I'm only up a few lbs compared to pre-pregnancy.

ETA - Sorry if this didn't exactly stick to the original post, but it IS things I wish someone had told me!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

And my favorite:

BREAST FEEDING IS FREE.

Well, it wasn't for me.  I could rack up the charges like I was staring in a   Master Card commercial.  Yes, it was priceless, though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Wow, some of this is kinda scaring me.  I am afraid to ask what colostrum leakage is... 

I am only 7 weeks and I am surprised how often I have to pee already.  Also, I am very active and I am already finding myself getting out of breath walking up stairs (which stinks because we are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of an apartment so I am constantly running up and down stairs).  I haven’t had any MS, and honestly I feel great in the morning.  I am practically skipping to the train each morning.  However, after lunch I can hardly keep my eyes open and when I get home from work I want to go straight to bed.  I also have been getting a bit of heart burn at night.

My lower stomach is already starting to bulge a bit...but I think this is just due to the fact that I am a bit bloated because I’m not regular anymore.  Not sure if it’s the lack of coffee in the morning now, or the prenatal vitamins or a combination of both, but I think I need to start taking something to help regulate my intestines.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Leila - Those are all totally normal pregnancy symptoms - The exhaustion killed me, and I didn't even realize that it was an early pregnancy symptom until I started reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting"
    And the constipation is part of it too Woo Hoo ;-) Drink lots (and I mean lots) of water. But congatulations, and good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey Leila.  And welcome to the family!  Don't worry.  For me, I was having to pee every two seconds until my uterus got big enough to expand out of my pelvis and now its much better now that the pressure is off my bladder.  The first trimester can be a shock to you body with the exhaustion, peeing and weird muscle twinges but it does get better into the second trimester.  I'm on baby #2 and that's how it was for me anyway.

And colostrum is the first milk you produce, its watery and yellow-ish and called liquid gold and you product it until a few days after baby is born when your body switches into producing regular milk.  For some, they start leaking early on (and not gushing, just a couple of drops or drips which can be hidden with a few pieces of TT paper or a nursing pad.

As for the constipation.  Nip it in the bud NOW!  Get yourself some dulcolax (gentle laxative) and stool softeners and start a regimen to get things moving.   I'm a constipation expert so feel free to ask more questions if you're not too embarrassed.  Also, its perfectly fine to drink a cup or two of coffee a day, I drink around 200-250 worth of caffeine mg first thing in the AM and it is so important in keeping me regular.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

^^^ What Sarah said.  Colace is your friend.  Laxatives are part of your life now, and not in a twisted weight-loss way (if applicable).  I never gave up my one-cup-a-day, and drink water like it's your job.  You'll be in the bathroom either way, so stay hydrated. 

And that, my friends, is what I wish someone had told me.  That I should have refused to leave the hospital until I had the dreaded BM.  It took me six days and it was like giving birth all over again, but with more shame and less cheering.  I say this not to scare you, but to motivate you -- take the Colace.