Re: Transitioning to bottle
posted at 8/16/2011 9:54 PM EDT
We went through the same thing! DD refused to take the bottle. Actually, when we first introduced it he did great, but then after about 2 weeks started refusing it. I thought we would never get him to take one and I am heading back to teaching soon and I was so concerned. It was a battle for awhile! He would usually take an ounce and then realize what was going on and freak out, scream and cry. Our pedi suggested giving a bottle once or twice a day. Here's what worked for us
1. making sure he wasn't super hungry and kinda sneaking it in there when he woke up from a nap and was half awake.
2. feeding him when the tv was on...it was all about distraction. I did let him look at it, I know, the horror! But it was only for a few minutes and he stopped needing to look at it once he took the bottle better.
3. He used to love looking at lights, so I would hold him in one arm and feed him while he looked at the pendant light over the kitchen sink. Sometimes bouncing/singing/talking helped too.
4. Don't feed him a bottle where you bf.. find a new spot.
5. Keep trying other bottles...we found he took the playtex drop ins with the latex nipple. The latex was key.. it wasn't an instant miracle but he ended up liking that one the best out of the lot.
I know it is incredibly frustrating, I've been there! And eventually your DD should be able to take one..and even if not for you, then she may for day care. Just stick with it and try a few times a day. We actually were on a roll at one point and stopped giving the bottles as often and he started not liking them again, so stick with it! I had to try formula with DS and he refused the bottle and didn't eat for about 6 hrs and gave in bf him. The pedi said that if they can go 8 hrs over night w/o food that they can do that during the day too and it won't hurt them. I didn't really like this advice though. Also we were told if he's hungry enough he'll eat! Actually, no he wouldn't!
DS is great with the bottle now, I never thought we'd be at this point. Hope some of the suggestions work, it won't happen magically, but slowly she should start to take more and more even if there is fussing in between sucking. Good luck and keep us updated!