What is your baby name criteria?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plksmcz. Show plksmcz's posts

Re: What is your baby name criteria?

For DH and I, naming our first born was easy. As soon as we knew we were having a girl, she was named. I had decided long ago that my first daughter would be named after my great-grandmother (nicknamed Lena). With our 2nd pregnancy, it got more difficult. If it was a boy, DH had a naming tradition in his family. First name = grandfather's first name; middle name = father's first name. Problem was, I don't like my f-i-l's first name plus I didn't want a Lena and a Leon. I preferred Alexander. No real reason, just loved the name. DH and I went head to head on this issue until we found out we were having twin boys. In the end, we both got our way! 

Our criteria for the names: 
    No fruit or vegetables. 
    Name must have meaning (we ended up using my great-grandmother, father and father-in-law's names). 
    Name must be easy to pronounce. 
    Name must be gender specific. 

Good luck! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We didn't really have criteria.  With both kids we had a name of some one who had passed away that we wanted to use.  It worked out both times.  So, DS is named after my dad and his middle name is from my MIL's side and DD is named after my maternal grandmother and her middle name is from my FIL's side.  It worked out well for us.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

So glad someone went there!  I was going to post about baby names the other day, but was worried it was an unspoken rule that we didn't talk names.  Does anyone know of a site where you can look up names of a certain origin, i.e. German or Russian?

When I first started reading this, I thought to myself that I don't have any criteria.  As I read your posts, I realized I do subconciously consider many of the things mentioned.  My criteria are:
    1) No made up names or spellings.  Name can be obscure, but not made up.
    2) Names can't be too cute, especially for girls.
    3) Family name as middle name, possibly my maiden name.

We're not expecting yet, but I've been keeping a list for a while. 
    Some girls names I like are: Camille, Nora (Eleanor), Lyla (sp?), Claudia
    Some boys names are: Eli, Ian, Levi, Benjamin, Jason

My husband is dead set on Jack for a boy.  I don't love it but we'll see.  He has also suggested Julie and Olivia.  Though none of these are my favorites, at least he has good taste!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

The social security site is invaluable!  A friend who named her daughter Izabelle (her spelling, not mine) in 2008 was complaining that Isabella has gotten so popular.  I didn't say anything, but I was thinking she clearly never looked at the SS site.  Just checked and Isabella has been a top 10 girl's name since 2004, top 5 since 2006.
    Not that it matters - if you love a name enough you should choose it anyway!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Fram - My son was born in 2004 and there are 5 or 6 Isabelle/Isabella's out of the 50 Kindergarten kids at the school.  There are several different spellings too.  My son's name (Ryan) is popular but we chose it to honor my dad so I was okay with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Fra, babycenter.com has a baby name generator and it gives you origins.

DH won't even talk names.  I want to use my maiden name for a boy's middle name. He is relatively okay w/ this since it's pretty common in his family to do that. 

My favorite names for girls are Elizabeth, Anna, Lydia, Piper and Rose (Rose for a middle name only b/c I HATE the nickname Rosie).  My front runner is Elizabeth Rose.

My favorite boy's names are Alexander, Owen, and Spencer. 

I know DH will not be onboard w/ either Piper or Spencer.  I can concede Piper but I'm going to fight for Spencer.  lol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Our criteria for a boy is to put the name to the phrase:  "throw me the ball <<insert name>>".  If it sounds ridiculous, it's out!  For example, "throw me the ball, Beauregard" just won't do! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

EZola-  You had me LOL at the comic book reference!!  Nope, no Peter Parkers here :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

in response to Scorpio...my father and my brother have the same name and different nicknames but I have a cousin who is the 4th already with the same family name. At the point that he was born, there were so many people still alive using nicknames for the first name that they use his middle name. So he is still the fourth but we have never used his first name to refer to him. Not sure if your DH's middle name is usable for that? It could be a nice compromise.

Naming our son was difficult. DH did NOT want a junior..he hates the traditional nickname for his name. But we wanted a traditional name for our son and finally came up with one that wasnt common and that we loved then and cant imagine him called any of the other names we came up with. Now we are pregnant with number two and still have the girls name that we have had dreamed up for about 10 years now but it has come into popularity now so I am wavering on it even though I LOVE IT. I do have a second runner up that I am really starting to love too and isnt poplular but I am having a hard time giving up the first one.

And boys names are hard again. It has to be traditional, not trendy. It can't have undesirable nicknames. I do take what the initals will be into account. Right now we have a strong frontrunner for a first name and my husband wants to use his dad's name as a middle but I dont like the sound of it because both names end in -n. (weird on my part, I know) I also like the idea of using our dads names if we can. My newest idea because one dad is John and the other is James is to come up with ANOTHER J name to honor both but not pick one over the other. Don't know if that is going to fly.  OH...and we both have unlimited veto in naming..if we knew someone or just plain dont like it, its off the table.  So yeah, really hard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

GC:  Just had to add that if you love Eleanor, you should go for it.  Especailly if you are open to nicknames.  There are lots of great ones for Eleanor: Nell, Nellie, Norrie, Nora, Ella, Ellie, etc. It's a great, classic name.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I'm not sure if anyone has already said this but I think one of the key things in choosing a name is not to tell anyone until after the baby is born, of course.  It keeps people from giving a rude opinion like, "oh, I knew a Beelzebub in school but he was such an ar-se."  And then that totally ruins it for some people.

It also saved any arguing between the in-laws.  I also went along with what my husband chose as he had pretty strong emotional ties to the name.  And, I liked the name enough and I didn't want to make a stink out of it.  We have plenty of other stuff to argue about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

SarahInActon, "We have plenty of other stuff to argue about."

I sometimes wonder what my husband and I ever argued about before we had a baby and engaged in a year-long negotiation for sleep.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When the time comes, I definitely will not be telling my MIL any names!  She is a wonderful person, but doesn't realize how she sounds sometimes.  She'd definitely make comments like, "Really you like that name?  Even with the last name ___?" etc.

Also, when you tell people names you run the risk of their getting attached to a name.  My co-worker was beyond annoyed when her MIL kept referring to the baby by a name that was really just one option out of 3 or 4.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Although I completely understand wanting to avoid super-common names, I would recommend against anything "too" uncommon.  (And just for the record, I don't think anyone should or shouldn't name their children based on this criteria, but it may be something to consider if choosing between a couple of names.)  When I was growing up, my name was uncommon (it had a surge in popularity in the 90s, though) and it was frustrating not to be able to buy things like magnets and bookmarks and other little trinkets with my name on them.  Not traumatic, by any means, but stuff like that is important to kids.  B/c of the popularity in the 90s, it's easy to find stuff now, but now I don't care.

My sister's name (Clarissa) has never been hugely popular, but I think it's a really pretty name.  She used to get frustrated about not finding things with her name on them too.  Again, if you like a name, use it, but you may "have to" have some things custom-labelled later on.

Anyway...just one of those things that no one ever really considers when naming their kid(s), but something that tends to be important to kids for a while when they're growing up.

DH and I chose a name for our daughter that I've loved since high school--WAY before it was on the SS top ten list.  I think it just dropped off or is getting ready to.  For our son, his name was in the top 20, but I think it's almost in the top 10 now.

We didn't do it intentionally--those were just the names we liked.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Fra, I think I'm hedging toward not telling names either, for the reason you wrote about with your co-worker!  

I made the mistake of mentioning to my MIL that I liked a particular animal for a nursery theme if we end up having a boy, and she's already sent us a bunch of stuff around that theme.  I had to tell her to stop since we still have no idea what gender the little peanut is yet. 

And as far as passive aggressive comments, my MIL loves to exercise her opinion in this manner.  She hasn't been as bad as she was w/ the wedding though, thank goodness (although, I've made a conscious decision not to care about these things this time around!). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Daisy, too funny RE: not being able to find the magnets/pencils/cups with your name on it! I had the same issue, although mine was more because of an uncommon spelling.

The name we went for with our DD is pretty popular right now, although it just happened to be what we liked. She already has a sippy cup with her name on it, correct spelling and all :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Daisy - it's crazy that you just posted that.  I was JUST thinking about that last night.  I was thinking about a trip to Newport that DH and I took in the fall and we bought these two little keychains with our name on them.  At the time, DH made a comment about how we might need to get a third one if we came back next year at that time (which is, ironically, when our LO is scheduled to arrive) and I was thinking if we did end up going with a couple of the names I like, the poor thing will never find a keychain with his/her name on it...

I definitely think that is important to kids during a certain phase of life!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

The great thing nowadays more so than before is that you can personalize things online. It's not the same as walking in the store and plucking off the shelf, but still....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yeah, speaking as someone who not only routinely had her name butchered by substitute teachers but NEVER had a personalized keychain or license plate for my Huffy: that s*cked. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Daisy, very funny about finding stuff with your name on it.  The funny thing is that my brother-in-law and girl friend gave us a sippy (ha ha ha, other thread ...) with his name on it and I was THRILLED.  DS's name is unheard of here in the US but very common in Ireland so we lucked out.  Now to get the full set of dishes ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

GC - I just bought a license plate for my nephew's huffy.  They now sell blank ones with a pack of letters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

One of the first guys ever to marry into my Mom's family who wanted to take his wife's last name -

After 35 years of being Alfred  Fredericksdottir
       (pronounced fredericks daughter, in US) he is now
     Alfred Sur.   Time to get a little respect.

Cross cultural choices are tough.  I mentioned a name of a favorite great uncle, like a grandfather to me.

But to DH's Italian family,  any differently spelled name pronounced Linguini  will never make it.

Even if we named a son with my last name, the idea of his Mom introducing them as my son Anthony and his little son, Linguini,  makes DH cringe.   DH says he would always be called,  Little Meatball by all his Brooklyn cousins.
         Thanks but no thanks.

One outspoken SIL has been lobbying for names that rhyme with my last name,  Timmy and Kimmie.   I thought she was just ragging me about our kids not necessarily getting their father's last name.

Then  I found out that her kids Sissy, Buck, and Chip  are really Tillie, Willie, and Billy  XXXillie on their birth certificates.

Her name is Mathilde  and his  Williamson  XXXillie,  but I think you can all guess what they call themselves.

People like that need a keeper.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Count me as one of the ones that never had personalized stickers, key chains etc and my name is not all that weird, and one of the many reasons that I HATE my name to this day.  I do now have some stickers and a few other things but they were bought as a joke and quite frankly they don't really do it for me now.

@bean, we could go with nicknames if they made sense, but I am sorry Jack is a nickname for Jackson not John.  I already told my DH I would not allow anyone to call a potential DS Jack.  And his middle name is middle name quality not first name or nickname quality.  Just like if we have two DS an Edward would never be Ted or Ned, in my opinion that makes no sense whatsoever, and I would have no problems with either Ed or Eddie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DH started speaking about names at about the 10 week mark.  I had the book so I had the upper hand and only read off names I liked.  Most of the ones I said he had some kind of answer for, whether it was someone from high school or a name of a person in a movie.  Then I said Logan, that was it whether the baby was a boy or a girl.   We found out at 18 weeks the baby was a girl and that was her name.  There were no other choices, and we told everyone that is what her name was.  We personally did not hear any negative feedback from anyone.   I think by just telling people that is what it was, it stopped people from commenting.  I think by telling people multiple options you will hear more commenting.

I will tell you, she is only 14 months old and we have already heard from people, "Isn't that a boys name"?  Granted it came from a 6 yr old but I knew going into it we were going to hear that.   My name can go both ways too, although having it as a boys name is very very rare.  I do get mail that addresses me as Mr.

All in all, we talked about it for 15 min total.  I do understand that picking a name is a pretty big thing but sometimes if you think about it too much, you will drive yourself crazy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Scorpio - I know several John's who go by Jack.