Re: APRIL 2013 TTC
posted at 5/1/2013 6:38 PM EDT
It's been a while, just wanted to write in. So, I'm kind of at a loss right now. A few months back I explained how they had found a dermoid in my ovary...well, the whole situation has turned into a nightmare of sorts. Turns out, there is a mass in my abdomen "strangling" my appendix which is 3x the typical size and on the verge of rupture, they have also noted there is a "mass" (no longer dermoid cyst) on my right ovary and a mass blocking (or they think is blocking) my LEFT fallopian tube. Most likely cause = atypical aggressive endometriosis. Sweet.
So I'm having surgery on Friday to remove my appendix, probably a part of my intestine, and probably also one if not both of my fallopian tubes. I have two surgeons - one will be working on the intestinal stuff, the other on my reproductive system. They are going to see if my fallopian tubes are working before removing them, obviously, but she was explaining that once they stop working due to a mass (given it's endo) they can never be repaired. The mass on my ovary, unless it's easily visible, they are going to leave as to not disrupt my ovary as much as possible.
So, given that this is not endometrial cancer or "some weird lymphoma" as was also an idea thrown out - and this is endometriosis....the gyno surgeon informed me that the next few months will be the "most likely" opportunity for me to ever become pregnant because they will have cleaned out the endometriosis before it begins its regrowth. She also said I will likely only get pregnant through IVF which I was leaning towards anyway because of the clotting disease though now it seems like more of a certainty if I want to get pregnant at all.
So I guess I really really have to either jump in, or start thinking about other options (like adoption, surrogacy, or remaining childless). It's kind of crazy how I'm being forced to make this decision now, like right now.
I'm just having trouble dealing with everything, so I thought I'd write in. Any advice, insight etc is more than welcome. Like perhaps I know you were talking a lot about insurance above - do you think a diagnosis like this would allow me to even attempt IVF sooner rather than later? Any experience with that?