April TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

April TTC

I suppose it's time to start an April thread!

Siena, I hope you're feeling better. 

I'm on CD111...apparently this could go on until six months. Awesome. Every time I pass a CVS I want to pick up a pregnancy test, which is probably ridiculous. I've thus far resisted, but if I succumb I'll get some chocolate too so I can eat my feelings later. I should be getting those Amazon OPKs in the mail tomorrow. 

How's everyone else doing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April TTC

111?  If I were thinking about CVS, I'd be thinking about sidestepping the doctor and getting myself a Plan B.  I'm NOT advocating taking matters into your hands, just admitting what I'd have done by now to kickstart AF myself!

How's the new job going?

AFM, technically I'm in the 2ww, but if I'm not waiting does that even count?  I'd be more than shocked if I found out I were pg, and I'm not spending any more money on tests.  I had two cycles in the last few months that were 40 days or so, and I wasted a bunch o' $$.  The one time I was pg (m/c) I had obvious and severe (clearly not my wishful thinking imagination) pregnancy symptoms of EXTREME tiredness/sleepiness and constant nausea.  If that happens again, I'll test.  Otherwise, I'm saving my money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

WPP, If I was in your shoes I would be threatening some doctor.  I do not understand why they are making you wait so long.  I'm thinking of you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Kar, can you explain what Plan B does? It causes a period and starts a new cycle? Do you know why? I feel like that's not a bad idea, actually. They'll probably do some slutshaming, but that's okay. Hmm. At this point I'm ready to try something. How far along were you when you had your m/c? It was early, right? It's probably good to know that you have strong reactions to pregnancy right away. Have you been doing the OPK strips lately?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

I went to my doctor today to go over the results of my bloodwork and ultrasound. She diagnosed me with PCOS, and prescribed Provera and Clomid. I'm supposed to take them for three cycles, and if I'm not pregnant by the end of the third cycle, she'll refer me to the infertility clinic.

I'm happy to have some answers and a plan. Fingers crossed that Clomid will do the trick!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: April TTC:
    [QUOTE]Kar, can you explain what Plan B does? It causes a period and starts a new cycle? Do you know why? I feel like that's not a bad idea, actually. They'll probably do some slutshaming, but that's okay. Hmm. At this point I'm ready to try something. How far along were you when you had your m/c? It was early, right? It's probably good to know that you have strong reactions to pregnancy right away. Have you been doing the OPK strips lately?
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Plan B is a high dose of bc in the form of 2 pills.  It might give you intestinal upset, bloating, the usual hormonal stuff, but nothing else (aside from the regular risks associated with any bc).  I've taken it for its intended purpose (when I was married to my ex and absolutely didn't want to get pregnant).  But, I've never taken it or known anyone to have in order to kickstart a period, but I'd absolutely try it if I were in your boat.  It generally causes at least light spotting and throws off someone whose regular so why wouldn't it have a chance of getting things going for you?  Again, I'm no doctor and it comes with the risks associated with bc, but...

Yes, I had a very early m/c.  In fact, if I hadn't had undeniable pregnancy symptoms far too early I would have assumed it was AF having arrived a few days late and would not have tested and found out.

I don't use OPK strips anymore.  I really am not super eager to get pregnant, anymore.  Not preventing because DH doesn't want to stop trying, but not going above and beyond, either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I can't believe you're up to triple digits! You must be going crazy! 

JLeigh - So glad you finally got an answer from your doctor!

AFM - I'm on Day 4 of Clomid. I'm really happy that AF showed up on her own after a 31 day cycle. I have a package of OPK strips getting delivered today too. I just want to see if I ovulate. I'm sure that my hormones are all screwed up with the Clomid but I'm pretty miserable. DH and I are at each other's throats. All in all, it's not a good scene. I did find out that my employer definitely covers fertility treatments so I can look forward to injecting myself with hormones in 2013. I'm quite freaked out by that whole thing, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. I hope you're all doing well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hate to tell you this, but OPK strips do NOT tell you if you ovulate.  What they tell you is when the LH has been released, nothing else.  Luetinizing Hormon (LH) is the first domino in the ovulation process - it doesn't know or give you any indication about the all-important last domino of ovulation itself.  All OPKs give you is a window of when ovulation will happen if there are still eggs, there are no blockages that keep the egg from being released, etc.

GL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Chiclet & Jleigh--I hope the Clomid works like a charm for both of you and you get your BFPs very soon.  Glad that you at least were able to put a new strategy in place with help from your doctor.

WPP--sorry for the waiting and waiting.  I really hope it's over for you soon.  Have expressed your serious frustration to your doctor about all of this? They need to be treating you as a person and not just your list of symptoms and diagnoses, if that makes sense.  I would consider giving him or her a call this week and trying to have a chat about this.  Your emotional wellbeing is important too, and your frustration is understandable at this point. If they really feel intervention is not warranted yet, they need to at least be able to explain the logic clearly to you of why waiting is so much better, medically, such that it outweighs the understandable frustration you are feeling.  

AFM--I ended up admitted to the hospital this week.  Not much fun, but at least I didn't need surgery (yet, knock on wood).  I'm home now, going to get more bloodwork done soon, and hoping very much that my hCG is down enough that I don't need another round of injections. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

siena, so sorry you are going through this and hope you've taken all you need of that poison!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

The other thing is that OPK strips don't tell you if you DIDN'T ovulate.  My 3rd cycle of clomid I got pregnant with fraternal twins (ovulated 2ce) but never saw anything indicating ovulation on the strips or the fancier one even though I was testing 2ce/day during the time I should have and likely did ovulate.

That being said, they're a good tool, but you just can't rely on them one way or another.  My unsolicited advice is just to have s*x as much as reasonable, and don't get discouraged if you don't see anything on the OPKs.  The cycle I got pregnant, I was so discouraged and frustrated and never in a million years expected that I might be pregnant.  (I was also charting, but I ignored the obvious in the chart b/c of the negative OPKs.)  I was shocked when I POAS at the end of the cycle as a way of bringing closure to it and got a positive almost instantly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Daisy, good point - I knew that happened to you, I should have said that converse part.

Great advice to have lots of sex and just relax and enjoy the process.  

Remember how you and your husbands went at it at first when you were newly in love and not trying to make a baby?  You'll cover all your bases simply by having sex 4 times a week.  There's nothing an OPK strip or thermometer can give you that that won't, and isn't it more fun to have lots of sex than pee in lots of cups?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Chiclet, good luck on the clomid! Do you take it for three weeks (or am I thinking three cycles?).

Siena, glad you're home from the hospital and doing better. What a nightmare this whole process is. 

Thanks for the info on Plan B. I'm definitely frustrated and it's aggravating that my doctors don't seem to hear me. I know it can take a little while for your period to come back after BC, but with my history of completely erratic periods and my mom's history of infertility I thought they'd be a little more interested in my concerns. 

I was ready to go to CVS and grab Plan B, but I had my first experience with acupuncture today. It was amazing. It's supposed to help with infertility and amenorrhea so I'm going to try the treatment plan that the acupuncturist suggested. If I don't notice any improvements (ie, get my period) then I'll try Plan B. I feel like now, at least, I'm doing *something* other than waiting. Sometimes I find allopathic medicine really frustrating. 

I hope everyone who celebrates Easter enjoys the holiday. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I thought of you this morning. I booked myself a massage for next weekend! I'm taking Clomid for 5 days (ending today!) for at most 3 cycles. I'm really interested in your experience with acupuncture. I've been thinking about it too if the Clomid doesn't work out. Please keep us updated!

Siena - Hope you're feeling better! I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, gl with the accupuncture - I've heard positive things about it with respect to TTC.  If that doesn't produce results soon, though, I really don't know if Plan B would have the desired effect (or even any adverse effects, frankly), but it's what I would try and that's all I can say!

Chicklet, hope the Clomid does it's thing!

siena, thinking of you and hoping you don't need to repeat that treatment.  Any word on your hCG?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks all for your thoughts. HCG came down a lot so I don't need more methotrexate for now; I am so thankful for that. Glad the acupuncture was nice, WPP. I've never tried it, but heard really good things about it for those issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay, siena, thank goodness you don't have to get another dose.  Onward in good health. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I'm so happy Easter is done with. Thank goodness for wine!

I've been having pretty much non-stop cramps for the past few days and today I feel like someone is stabbing me. I'm hoping that's the Clomid doing its job. I called the doctor's office and they were completely unconcerned. It's only CD9 but the doctor did tell us that we needed to have sex on CD10, 11 and 12, so I guess we've got a fun week ahead of us. I just wish I wasn't so crampy. (Thanks for letting me vent!)

I hope everyone else is doing well!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, that might take the fun out of it, but if you're cramping because you're ovulating maybe the worst of it will be over before the kickoff of the festivities tomorrow night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Siena - Glad to hear the worst seems to be over!

Chiclet - Sorry to hear about the cramps and that you've been feeling irritable. I hope the Clomid works for you!

WPP - Interesting about the acupuncture! That's something I would be interested in trying if Clomid doesn't work. What is your treatment plan going to be? Do you have to go multiple times a week?

I finished my 5 days of Provera yesterday, and now I'm waiting for AF. I'm going to take Clomid on days 5-10. I've been reading all kinds of scary stories about Clomid online, so I'm nervous. I really need to stop the Googling!

Hope everyone had a good Easter/Passover/weekend.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Chiclet, the cramping is probably the follicles growing in your ovaries.  I had similar cramping while on clomid.  Are you being monitored by ultrasound?  I would contine to BD every other day beyond day 12.  I would OV on day 16-18 while on clomid.  Good luck with this around.

jleigh, I was nervous about taking clomid too at first but it's pretty worried free compare to other treatments I had.  As long as your doctor's are monitoring you, you should be fine.  Good luck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks Tom! I'm not being monitored at all by the doctor's office. They basically gave me a Clomid prescription with 2 refills and told me to call them if it worked or in January when I get new health insurance. Very supportive. If the follicles are growing, does that mean I'm going to ovulate? I feel like I should know this, but I've pretty much decided that I don't understand how anything in my body works. The doctor said to BD every day from day 10 to at least 12 or when we get tired of it and then switch to every other day. They say you usually ovulate 5-9 days after you stop the Clomid. I really appreciate your advice!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here is the soup to nuts process of ovulation.  Ovulation

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Chiclet... good luck!  I do think its a positive sign that you are probably going to O this cycle!  Good luck catching that egg.  

I totally lost count this cycle and am actually loving it.  I was really sick for two weeks and then my DH was really sick for a week, so we were so sporadic with BDing, and given my new "infertile" status, I know it would take a miracle.  So I just stopped counting days.  I was crampy last night and thought for sure AF was soon, but when I looked up this morning I'm only on day 20.  We're still talking about doing the one cycle of IVF and keeping it on the table as an option, but haven't made decisions yet (I posted about my thought process on a separate post).  But I must say, feels good to just not be thinking about it right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

chiclet, re: clomid i wasn't monitored by my RE at BWH when i was on it either - i don't think it's that uncommon to just 'go off' and run with it.  i took it days 5-9 and ovulated both cycles (got PG the 2nd round) around day 16-17.  hth!