December TTC

Best wishes for December, ladies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: December TTC

Right back at you!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks. :)  

My cycles are suddenly very long (40 - 45 days), and I wonder if I'm entering perimenopause.  The last two months I've spent an embarrassing amount of money on pg tests, but this month I'll assume a long cycle and not pg.  I'm seeing my GYN next week so I'll ask her to see if she can figure this mystery out.  I've never been regular, but 33 days was always my max.  A month before my 40th, and I'm falling apart...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Happy December, ladies. Hoping for some good news for everyone this month!

Kar sorry to hear about your AF problems. I've always had irregular cycles so I understand how frustrating it can be. I'll cross my fingers for good news from the doctor next week.

This is my first cycle actively TTC. Before we were just not preventing but the chemical pregnancy made DH & me realize that we really do want it. I am still so sad that I could not tell my dad that I was pg before he passed last week but we are hoping for a sticky pregnancy soon that will help lift my family's spirits. I'm curious, for anyone that had a chemical pregnancy or early miscarriage, how long until you ovulated again? I had a positive opk yesterday but the second line has been dark (but not quite positive) since I started testing earlier this week and I'm not sure if it's because my horomones are out of whack or I'm about to ovulate. I started temping too and haven't noticed a shift yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm sorry for your loss, Cici.  Welcome to your first month of active TTC!

Happy December!  Hopefully this month brings lots of BFPs!

I was wondering if any of the ladies out there were in need of any OPK strips?  I bought a new batch of them the month I got my BFP so I have plenty.  Just let me know if anyone could use them and I would be happy to ship them to you! They are the cheapy dip ones but they are free!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, I think it's fairly common to go totally back to normal right after a chemical pregnancy - your body wasn't pregnant long enough to be thrown off.  I ovulated the next month, anyway.  GL, I hope it doesn't take long. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Now that my AF arrived (last one before Thanksgiving was Dec 2009 due to pregnancy and breastfeeding) - we are going to be looking into TTC again (not that we were preventing it before, but now that we have the nursings spread far enough that I finally got AF, the probability I believe is much higher that I am returning to state where I can get pregnant again).

I have no idea what to expect this round (I had been on BCP for 4-5 years first time around and it did not take us long last time when I came off, so I don't know if I should expect my cycles to return to what they were like prior to being on BCP, or if the nursings I am doing - morning and night - will affect the cycles or what).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Cici, so sorry for your loss.  I believe many folks have great luck after a chemical, so chances are you are Oing.

1ww for me.  Not feeling it.  And actually thinking that a Sept baby would be lovely as we already have several August b'days in our family.  BUT... I'm not going to be picky, and of course would be thrilled if next week brings good news.

Good luck all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Cici, so sorry about your dad.  My first pregnancy, I had a miscarriage at about 9 weeks...was waiting and waiting to get my next AF, actually got pregnant the first cycle after the MC.  Sometimes you're actually more fertile in the month after a MC, according to my OB, so it can happen very quickly!  Now that baby is 13 mos, and we're ready for #2!

I also always have had longer cycles (32-35 days), but they've been a lot more erratic since DD.  And heavier! About to start our second cycle of actively trying...IPW, I'm right there with you, thinking how great a September baby would be...still nice out for a while, maternity leave would be through Christmas...could be good timing. :)  We shall see!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Cici, sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully you'll have some good news to share soon.

This is our last month of not TTC. I had my annual at the GYN and my physical last month and got the green light from both doctors. Now to just get through the holidays! I did find out (via Facebook of all places) that one of my good friends from college is pregnant with #2. I'm kind of excited to have a potenial pregnancy buddy. We'll see!

Good luck everyone! Hoping December is as active as November was!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Best wishes to everyone on here for some 'holiday magic'! I've got about 4 days until AF is due and I have a feeling it is def on its way.

I'm in month 3 of TTC. Been off BC for 4 months after being on for 16 years- wow!  Luckily my cycles have been ridiculously regular. I just started temping this past month which is like a little science project. (I loved lab in high school.) Everything looks good there so....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Good luck to everyone this month :) Hoping lots of September babies are on their way :)

Kar, you never know...maybe 40 will be your lucky number!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  Maybe.  I was kind of thinking I didn't really want to be pg at this point, but I did feel a twinge of disappointment with all my BFNs when AF was so darned late for two months in a row.  That's a marked difference between how I used to feel (sobbing), but it's something. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Can someone who knows give me a quick run down on how to use the OPK strips? I have a pretty good idea of when I am O'ing but maybe this will help with the 'precise-ness'.

TIA!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: December TTC:
    [QUOTE]Can someone who knows give me a quick run down on how to use the OPK strips? I have a pretty good idea of when I am O'ing but maybe this will help with the 'precise-ness'. TIA!
    Posted by MissWolff[/QUOTE]

Are you using the cheap dip ones or the digital? That might help others give advice.

I'll share what I did but I wasn't very good at reading them so who knows if this will help.  I used the cheap dip strips each morning from about day 12 - AF arrived.  I would have stopped when I was sure I saw a surge but I never felt overly confident that I O'd so I always kept testing.  I have long cycles which is why I tested starting day 12, I think day 8 is recommended for a 28 day cycle.

You are suppose to test in the afternoon which is when you have the best chance of catching the surge, but that didn't really work for me.  I liked testing in the morning because I could remember to do it and by the time I get home in the evening (6-7pm) it wasn't really on my mind.

Ideally you would see your test line get increasingly darker and then 24-48 hours before you O it should be just as dark or darker than your control line.  From then on the test line should get lighter. You would plan your BDing around the 24-48 hours post surge to capture your ideal time.  As I said, that's all in an ideal world, for me the darkness of the test line jumped all around and then one day it would finally seem to be just as dark as the control line and we'd go at it!

Woah, I rambled!  I hope any of that will be helpful to you!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thank you CLC!

Hahaha...hmm I didn't realize there was digital and not. I am assuming the digital is more expensive so not sure if I want to go that route yet.

Now when you say "dip" ones...do you have to collect your pee in a cup?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I will agree with what CLC said. I just started using them this month so I'm no expert. I am also temping and I think that really helps me to see how they work.

I bought the cheap strips off Amazon. I think you need a monitor for the digital ones which is pretty expensive.

And yes, you need to collect pee in a cup and dip. I use tiny little dixie cups and they seem to work fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

To add to what clc said very well...

The test line probably won't get progressively darker until 1 - 2 days before it's as dark as it's going to get (the positive).  That's due to the fact that you don't have LH in your system at all except for a couple days before and after the positive.  It's a relatively short surge that ramps up very quickly to a positive result and then tapers off just as quickly.  Look up the chart of hormones and look at the LH curve on wikipedia's menstrual cycle page to see what I mean.

Also, some women even with longer cycles ovulate early in the cycle each month.  Others ovuluate at random times in their cycles like I did.  I always had AF 15 days after my positive OPK, but what day I got that positive was always different.  I started at Day 8 (Day 1 being the first day of real AF).  I had positives anywhere from days 10 - 17 or so.

The instructions say that a positive result is when the test and control lines are exactly the same darkness.  However, I know I read them right (because I got AF exactly 15 days later each time no matter how long my cycle was), and mine were never absolutely carbon copies of each other.  However, you can identify "as dark as these things get for me" after you use them and see how your surge appears on the strips for a few cycles.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Thanks this is all very helpful...so why do you have to pee in a cup? I guess I assumed they were like POAS pregnancy tests.

I'm trying to make sense of this in my head without ever reading directions on these things yet (of course I will but...)

I just wanted to know what I am getting myself into before I purchase.

You gals are so helpful! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I had issues with the darkness of the test line too but only when testing in the afternoon. I guess my pee must've been too diluted. Since it was my first time, I tested morning and afternoon. I got the very obvious positive in the morning. The prior morning was very close to positive but all the afternoon tests were much lighter. I know you're supposed to surge in the afternoon so it might be something to take into consideration.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

cici, my best friend had a chemical and then OV'd and goto pregnant with a nice, sticky pregnancy about 8 days later.  The baby is 4 months old now! Good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

MissWolfe, I think you'll find the directions helpful, too. :)  Yes, the cheap (imo, cost effective) strips from Amazon are ones you HAVE to dip, not hold in your urine stream so you need a cup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

AF came one day early.  Going into 5th month of TTC for #2.  Thinking I may temp this month to see if I can detect O.  With TTC #1, I was O'ing day 9 or 10 with 24 day cycles.  This time I've had two 28 day cycles and now one 27 (the first 46 day cycle off the mini-pill I'm not really counting as normal).  I haven't temped or done any O sticks... so no idea if I'm O'ing.  Not sure I could do the sticks as seems like you need to time them so right and do several times a day.  I'd mess up.  But temping I can remember first thing.  If this month goes well, I'm hoping new year's eve will be my last cocktail and new year's day some good news.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never bothered to test more than once a day and, while afternoon is technically best, I managed to detect the positive no matter what time of day I did it.

The problem with temping is that it takes a few months to establish the pattern, and if you ovulate at irregular times in your cycle all it's good for is to know you ovulate at some point every month.  You cannot use it proactively like you can the strips.  The strips say "next 48 hours."  The temps say, "You just missed your window."  After a few months of just missing it, you'll know about when you ovulate every month.  So, ideally, you'd temp before you want to TTC to find out your pattern.  OPK strips give you real-time info you can use right away.

Of course, if you want to ensure your LH surge is actually resulting in ovulation, you could do both.  Detect the surge, try to get pregnant in the next 48 hours while temping to ensure you actually are ovulating.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

IPW - Sorry about AF. Good luck on this cycle! I think you can also do the strips in the morning if that's easier for you. They worked fine for me, and were confirmed by temping.

I forgot to say thanks to everyone for all the nice thoughts. :)