December TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Re: December TTC

First of all - congrats Winter!  Very exciting!

To answer the questions regarding the 3-months of vitamins and no bcp for me... I think this time around my docs are erring on the side of caution.  When we were TTC for DD, I got the all-clear from my doc and got pg right away.  My doc joked that it happened so fast I must have gotten pg on my way out of her office!  Just one of those things.  I was healthy and took regular vitamins before my pregnancy, but my DD was born at 33 weeks without warning and had a few health problems.  She has a heart condition and had a urological issue that required surgery at 3 months of age.  They have not been able to determine the reason why DD was a premie or why she had these health issues, but I think they are just being very cautious this time around.  I will be high risk as well for this next baby, so I'm going to be in the high risk group at the Brigham.  I have another pre-conception consult there in January.  Definitely scared out of my wits about another pregnancy and the potential for another early delivery.  So I am just trying to be as careful as I can be and follow doctors orders to a T. 

And Kar - because I know how easily and quickly it happened last time, even though I'm off the pill, we'll be using other non-hormonal methods for birth control (condoms) until March/April.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALS, hoping your second will stay put 'til it's time to come.  If they can't pinpoint a reason for the first one's early arrival I wonder if that means it was likely to have been a fluke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks Kar - I hope so too.  It definitely keeps me up at nights wondering what I could possibly do differently the next time around to avoid another premie.  I know that many cases of premature births go "unsolved" like mine.  Even in this day and age of medical advancements, it remains a mystery.  A couple docs said that it may have been due to her heart condition, but couldn't really put much certainty behind that theory.  Her heart condition was not diagnosed until after her birth, so it wasn't significant enough to show up on ultrasound.  At my first consultation a couple weeks ago, they gave me a 25% chance of pre-term delivery.  But I am going to do everything in my power to avoid that if I can!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I had to bet I'd put the farm on your having done nothing to cause the premature birth since it's unsovled.  They are probably assigning you the 25% risk factor for it happening again because that's the risk that something that you cannot change and might never even know about would cause pre-term labor, again.  Of course, that's not to say that doing everything in your power to keep it from happening again isn't a great idea, but it is to say that I hope you won't put undo pressure on yourself.  It was very likely caused by something totally out of your control or they'd know what caused it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

ALS, I have my preconception visit in a couple of weeks, and will also be facing the possibility of a high-risk pregnancy (fortunately, I'm the one with the post-pregnancy issues, not my daughter.).

I'll be following you closely, if I'm lucky we will be both be pregnant around the same time, both high-risk (eclampsia was my issue) and I might have to also be at BWH.

Best wishes with everything!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks Kar and ml!  I know in my head that I did nothing to cause DD's early birth.  I was having a healthy pregnancy, eating well, taking care of myself.  Just bopping along and having good checkups at the ob's office.  No cause for alarm or reason to be high-risk until I started having contractions and DD was born the next day.  I had a lot of "premie guilt" if there even is such a thing and spent a lot of my time in the NICU next to her isolette wondering what the heck just happened.  The only thing I can do this time around is approach it head-on and take all the precautions that are available and recommended by the docs.

ml - do you have your preconception consult at BWH?  Mine is in a couple weeks too.  We can compare notes!  I figured as long as we live in Boston and have access to world-class hospitals, may as well go straight to the best place around.  That, and when I read the "how do you know if you have a high-risk pregnancy?" list - I have like 3 factors right off the bat.  Hopefully any future pregancy that I have won't put me on bed rest.  That'd be interesting with a toddler at home!!

Best wishes to you too ml!  And Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for the info about the vitamins and waiting after BC. ALS, I'm sorry that you had such a scare with your DD. Even though there's no fault in it, I think it's natural to want to do everything you can to decrease the chances of any problems. ML, I hope everything goes smoothly for you this time too! Merry Christmas! My parents just flew in and we're all staying at my in-laws for a few days in NH. Together. /Commence panic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anxiety that it could happen again is something you can't decide to not feel, but guilt is manufactured by choice.   Consider that you can decide to harbor or let go of guilt over something you know wasn't your fault.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

ALS and ML--I'm sorry to hear about your previous pregnancy scares.  I have my fingers crossed for both of you to have an uneventful experience this time around.  

Hope the family dynamics aren't too stressful WPP!  

Happy holidays!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Got my BFP this morning...which has me freaking out and excited at the same time.  DD will be 22 months when the new baby comes.  My DH is shell-shocked. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WOW!!  Congrats luvRboy - that didn't take long at all.  Sticky thoughts and prayers going to you!!!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks, kar!  The stars clearly all aligned this month...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Horray Luv! So happy for you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

ML, you are officially jumping back on the TTC wagon?  I thought from your posts that you had decided against a second.  I'm glad I misunderstood.  Best of luck to you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Congrats, luvRIboy for your BFP!

I got a very,very,very faint positive this morning (will probably test again in a few days to see if it gets stronger)... the only reason I am hesitant is because I am nursing still and DS has renewed his interest in nursing the last few days so I am hoping that surge in nursing does not affect the early days. It is hard to understand if there is additional risk of miscarriage if I am still nursing (but cold-cut weaning won't work for him - he is too attached to nursing for me to consider that right now). I assume that once the hCG is being produced enough to be detected, that it means the implantation has happened...

If I am indeed pregnant, I am going to have to see if there is an easy way to slowly wean him over the course of the next 16 weeks I guess (or hope that my milk changes taste drastically and dries up naturally on its own so he can phase it out himself) since my ob had told me she does not think I should nurse past 20 weeks pregnant due to concern of risk of preterm labor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cwag, congrats!

I offer this for your consideration - ask your doctor about the new research and how she feels about it.  Breast Feeding and M/C  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

CWagner - I believe Trouble nursed her DD while pregnant with her DS.  She might be able to provide some insight on what worked for her...

Is it weird that I know that? Again, it's crazy how much I know about all of you ladies! So glad I do though, there is always someone else that can relate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd be pretty peeved if I were told I absolutely had to stop bf'ing if I really didn't because I didn't have a known risk for preterm labor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats cwag!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congrats luvRI and cwag!  What lovely holiday gifts!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Also, congrats CWag!

Sending you ladies lots of sticky thoughts!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Woo hoo Cwag and RI!  My little (not 'friend' right now!) was due 1/1 but it's here early...oh well. Here's to 2012!

Congrats to the new BFPs, that is great news!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats CWag and RI! Sending you more sticky thoughts!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Big congrats to Luv and cwag!  What a wonderful way to start off the new year!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Thanks folks, esp about the comments on BF'ing and M/C risk and pregnancy. I will probably do more research into nursing and pregnancy, and check in a few days if the results continue to show positive :) (we are still in the "really?" phase). Then, I guess, have a more serious discussion with my OB if this pregnancy does continue to develop without M/C (nursing and preterm labor risk came up at my annual checkup as a hypothetical).