IVF treatments...the good, the bad and ugly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

IVF treatments...the good, the bad and ugly

So, we are nearing our first IVF treatment.  I‘m nervous about how I’m going handle it emotional and physically.  I was wondering if those of you who have gone through IVF treatments have any advise for DH and I. What you do found helpful, what you wish you had done differently and etc...

AF is expected to arrive Dec. 14 and then I will birth controls pills for six week then start the injections.  I main concern is the injection meds because my RE seems to think I will produce lots of eggs.  I worried about being in a lot of pain and thinking about using some vacation days ( I have 2 weeks to use up before April) during that time.  

My other issue is that I’m not very hopefully about the IVF treatment. It seems that we only have luck with developing unviable sacks which is leading me to think that our genetic material doesn’t work together.  DH thinks I’m crazy but I can’t seem to ignore this gut feelings of mine.  I’m really trying to stay positive for him but it’s hard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: IVF treatments...the good, the bad and ugly

I can't offer much of anything other than the fact that I HOPE that if your sense that "your genetic material just doesn't work together" being a serious consideration for why the sacs haven't worked before that your RE would have advised you of that, even warned you against IVF because it obviously wouldn't work if that were a true correlation/conclusion.  

However, you can't assume they would, I guess, so why not just come right out and ask your RE before you begin if your fear is based in the reality of the situation or based on a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge regarding the true nature of the problem/solution/etc.

Given that I'm hoping the RE would have told you IVF would fail, too, because your and DH genes aren't compatible (I don't even know if that's a possibility) I think they'll give you a lot of hope in their answer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

What sort of pain are you worried about?  "Producing eggs" shouldn't cause any pain.  The lupron doesn't hurt at all - it's the thinnest needle you've ever seen.
    The progestrone needles (the ones your DH will have to give you) hurt a little at the time. but the pain doesn't linger or anything.
    I think you should call your RE and discuss your feelings before proceeding.  He/she should be able to answer all your questions.
    I felt very positive about starting IVF and we ended up having a great outcome after 4 failed IUI's. We now have 2 1/2 year old b/g twins.
    Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Kar, I’m the only one worried about genetic material not being a match.  Both the RE and DH find the unviable sacs as a positive sign that things are going in the right direction.  RE has felt that IVF is the best option for us but we wanted to take baby steps and work our way up.  There was some pre-genetic screening that was done before we began clomid  but it did not test for everything.  Sadly, insurance companies are the one who dictated what can be done medical and not us.I am worried about the egg producing pain.  During my cycles I get this lower back pain (this is the best way that I can describe it) that last for several days before I OV.  It hurts enough to wake me from deep sleep and I normal have to use a heating pad and take some Tylenol to make it better.  It was really bad before metformin and got better with time while taking metformin.  The RE told me that pain sometimes occurs with women who suffer from PCOS.  So, I’m really worried that I will be in a lot of pain if I produces lots of eggs. RE told time that there not much that they can do to help with other than continue to take Tylenol & rest.  Plus, they reassured me that I will be monitored a lot during this time and that I have nothing to worry about.  But it’s hard not to worry when there so many unknowns.  Anyways thanks for listening and for the well wishes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The process is scary enough; take her word for your genetics concern being irrational and work on letting that particular one go.  There's plenty more where that concern came from; no need for extra.

As for the pain, I hope you sail through it without much if any discomfort.  If it turns out that you have pain, hopefully, you won't need too many cycles! :)

GL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Tomarra - it sounds like the pain you have every month is caused by hormones during ovulation.  I never had that so I was unfamiliar with it.  Again - I'd say listen and trust your RE to help you as much as possible.  I know sometimes they recommend accupuncture for IVF candidates - maybe you could look into that? 
    I wish you the best of luck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Thanks Ladies! I have been doing accupuncture for a year now and will continue it. I starting to accept that fact that it's out of my control and I just need to trust RE.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!