November 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frank0807. Show frank0807's posts

Re: November 2012 TTC

Hi All - We are new to TCC (only in our second month). I bought the ovulation strips from Amazon (I lurked for a bit before :)) and never got a positive test. Did anyone else have problems with the strips?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome, frank!  The first time you use them you should start really early in your cycle, like on day 5 or 6 (day one being the first day of your period) because you might ovulate far earlier than the average (day 14).  You'll catch the positive if you do it every day essentially the whole month. Then, you can narrow down the window based on your results.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Also, if you did see a day with two lines that were almost equal and then faded back to less equal, the darkest test day was your positive.  I hardly ever got two lines EXACTLY equal, but I got my period 15 days after the nearly equal day every time which proves that was the right interpretation of a positive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hi frank! The OPK strips worked for me most months.  I needed to do a 3 hour hold without drinking before using the strip, otherwise it wasn't useful.  And be sure to read at the 5 minute interval.  Sometimes I forgot about them and went back to check hours later, and that made it hard to interpret too.  For me, I could use them effectively first thing when I got home from work, but I know some women need to try earlier in the day to get a positive.  They're so cheap (if you got the wondfos) that it might be worth trying twice per day.  

Also, to reinforce what kar said, don't assume that you know when you ovulate, so make sure that you have broad coverage of potential dates.  Even once I figured out the OPKs, my ovulation date would shift around by up to 5 days from month to month, so it was pretty unpredictable.

If you want to see pics of examples of what a positive should look like, check out this website: http://www.peeonastick.com/opkodyssey.html

Lastly, I liked to back up the data with my temperature charting on fertilityfriend.com, which gave me reassurance that I was seeing a real pattern.  My chart also varied from month-to-month in its ease of interpretation, but if I kept a consistent sleep schedule I could usually discern a pattern.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sally2340. Show Sally2340's posts

Hey ladies,

Has anyone used (or heard of using) accupuncture for TTC/IVF?

I was thinking about trying it for Round 2 of IVF....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are acupuncturists who have fertility as a specialty, and if I were going to try to find one, I'd call around and ask, "WHAT, if anything, do you specialize in?" Not, "Do you specialize in ttc?"  Call me a skeptic, but I think you'll get more honest answers from the first.  Don't let them ask you in response what you are looking for so then they can say, "yes, that's one of my specialties."  Instead, if necessary, repeat question 1 until you get an answer...at least that's how I'd do it, anyway.  And, if they list fertility I'd not be shy about asking for their success rate with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Sally - my RE offered to refer me to an accupuncturist during our IVF journey. I declined, but I know lots of people do it. Ask your doctor - I'm sure he or she can offer suggestions!

Good luck

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Sally - I did acupuncture with two rounds of IVF I believe.  Didn't work for me and there is not much evidence for it but some people really feel better and it certainly cannot hurt! They have someone at Boston IVF.  You probaly could call there.  I don't think you have to be a patient there.  Good luck!