2010 DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from theobama. Show theobama's posts

2010 DRAFT

After the Kessel trade, I started to look at some up and coming 2010 NHL draft prospects. I read somewhere that the pick we got was number 7 or 8 I believe. Here is the list of porspects.  http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=596011 
    A few that i researched on that I would love to see the Bs take a chance on are Taylor Hall (compared to Tavares-unlikely to drop past top 3), Kiril Kabanov (seen as high as 1 and low as 12 in other sites), Stanislav Galiev and Evgeni Kuznetsov. It is a pretty deep group with some serious talent in the top 30. I expect the names to shuffle around as it is very early to be judging. But some scouting reports have this draft to be as deep and talented as the '97 group (Thornton, Marleau, Hossa, Luongo, Samsonov, Jokinen, Morrow, Afinogenov)  and with the Bruins having a high pick and a low pick in the first I cant help but be excited and look ahead.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Re: 2010 DRAFT

Good post but this season has to be played out before we know what pick we will end up with. Anywhere from 5 to 15 I would expect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

We got Toronto's first round pick. We don't know where that'll be yet but I can just about guarantee you that with the overhaul that team made in terms of toughness and shoring up their defense, it won't be in the top 10. They're far from being a contending team but they're also far from being the pushover they once were.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theobama. Show theobama's posts

I must have misread.. I thought someone said its 7 or 8 but that might have been a projection. But heres to the leafs finishing dead last!! lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Sorry eddy i think your wrong,,TO has still an unproven D and goaltending and i dont see anything above an 8 pick. There against so many teams that have improved, not unproved like the Leafs..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

Toronto HAD a weak defense last year. They don't anymore. Beauchemin and Komisarek are anything but unproven D-men. Beauchemin was one of the most important kogs on Anaheim's D during their cup run and the dirty Komisarek does play solid defense. They still have Kaberle who is a great outlet pass D-man and Luke Schenn is coming into his own. If Mike Van Ryn is healthy, he'll be a solid top 4 pairing D-man. Exelby is also tough as nails. They will have a solid D.

As for goaltending, Toskala is more than enough to be a solid regular season goalie but sucked last year because he was playing injured.

Even with the mess of what they were last year, they were essentially a .500 team. They're going to be a lot better than that this year - much too good for them to be in the bottom 10 of the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 DRAFT:
    [QUOTE]Toronto HAD a weak defense last year. They don't anymore. Beauchemin and Komisarek are anything but unproven D-men. Beauchemin was one of the most important kogs on Anaheim's D during their cup run and the dirty Komisarek does play solid defense. They still have Kaberle who is a great outlet pass D-man and Luke Schenn is coming into his own. If Mike Van Ryn is healthy, he'll be a solid top 4 pairing D-man. Exelby is also tough as nails. They will have a solid D. As for goaltending, Toskala is more than enough to be a solid regular season goalie but sucked last year because he was playing injured. Even with the mess of what they were last year, they were essentially a .500 team. They're going to be a lot better than that this year - much too good for them to be in the bottom 10 of the league.
    Posted by eddy75[/QUOTE]

I can't believe the Bruins didn't target Beauchemin instead of Morris. I honestly think the Leafs will make the playoffs as Burke will pull out all the stops to make it happen even unloading some of the highly touted college youngsters he signed last year. That leaves the Bruins with a middle of the pact pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 DRAFT:
    [QUOTE]We got Toronto's first round pick. We don't know where that'll be yet but I can just about guarantee you that with the overhaul that team made in terms of toughness and shoring up their defense, it won't be in the top 10. They're far from being a contending team but they're also far from being the pushover they once were.
    Posted by eddy75[/QUOTE]

I agree, a playoff spot gives us the 15th at best and Burke is not done yet.

The only thing is possibly trading up our first rounders for the top spot, but he still cannot score this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

It'll probably be a middle-of-the-pack pick, which is worth something.  But now the B's have 2 1sts and 3 2nds...they still have the 2nd round pick from Tampa Bay from the Recchi deal.  So they certainly can put together a package to either move up in the draft, or more likely, to make a deal at the trade deadline to bring in a decent puck-moving defenseman, or whatever they feel they need at that time.

As for whether the 2 1sts and a 2nd from TO is sufficient return for Kessel, I guess that'll be fodder for debate for years to come.

I for one am disappointed, albeit resigned, that they couldn't keep Kessel.  He's an exciting player and I think he has the potential to be a 50-goal scorer.  We'll see if he ever reaches that potential.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him regress, especially if Toronto treats him like a savior/superstar, then he might fall back into the same bad habits he had when he 1st came into the league.

That said, it could work out well for the B's.  As mentioned, given their boatload of high picks in the 2010 draft, they will definitely be in position to make a deal with a rebuilding team at the deadline.