A thought for tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

A thought for tomorrow

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up everyone's rear end tonight.  You have every right to feel angry, upset, shocked, etc. etc.  This thread is for when you calm down, be it tomorrow or next week.

In my opinion, the Kessel deal set the team back a year or two in terms of being a legitimate Cup contender, but needed to be done.  From what I have read about Kessel here and through respected news outlets, he is a lot of work.  He needs constant prodding, and is satisfied to lean on his natural talent without putting in the work to make himself stronger.  While there is no doubt that his goals would have been welcome, he is not the kind of guy you want to pay big money to for a long time.  Unless a coach can somehow instill him with a better work ethic, he will always be a bit of a distraction to his team.

The team did what it had to do.  There is a good young core on the Bruins that will only get better, thanks to the trade.  Kessel didn't fit, especially for the kind of money he wanted.  Since everything with Kessel happened so late in the offseason, the free agent market wasn't an option for PC to try to replace Kessel's goals.  That meant that to get a scoring winger, either a costly trade or a pick-up off the scrap heap were PC's only option.  He got Satan, who wasn't bad, considering his cost. 

Who here can honestly say that two months ago, they thought that the Bruins could make it to the conference finals?  Not many is my guess.  I sure didn't.  While we got our hopes up when they started making some noise, the 2010 Bruins were not a legitimate Cup contender.  Hell, they didn't even look like they were going to make the playoffs for a while. 

While the history-making collapse is extremely frustrating, just remember this:  many of the group that will lead this team for the next decade just got 13 more games of playoff experience than Phil Kessel did this season.  And help is on the way.

But this is all for tomorrow.  Or next week.  Freak out.  Type and attempt to post things that the censors do not allow.  Drink yourself silly and smash your head on the keyboard repeatedly if it helps you vent your frustration.  Just think of this thread when you can think of the team without wanting to freak out anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: A thought for tomorrow

I applaud you for levelling your head so quickly.  That is no mean feat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I agree.  Look at the Sharks.  How many let downs have they had, such a good team on paper, but to blow it in the end.  We had all written this team off in Febuary and were shocked when we made it to the playoffs.  I for one was figuring this team was 1 then done.  Then we all expected that they would lose in 7 against the Flyers...Well, they exceeded expetations, but the result was the same.  We were lucky to win the first 3, but the loss of Krejci was too much, not to mention Gagne coming back.

Tonight, I will cry in my beer.  Tomorrow, well...it is just a game.  This is what happens when you are a fan.  There can only be one team that wins the cup, and 29 otherr teams fans that feel like we do today. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bennyjo30. Show bennyjo30's posts

In Response to A thought for tomorrow:

Great post there. Im sure it was not easy to think of through the disappointment of tonight but the way I see it,  I would not be surprised at all if the Bruins win a cup within the next 3-4 years. They have a great young core and as you said, help is on the way. The FA market is not where you find help in today's NHL it is in the draft, and when you are at the top of it you are all but guaranteed to get an elite playerto help your franchise for years to come. Every cloud has a silver lining and the Bruins will be back next year, and for years to come.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Re: A thought for tomorrow:
    I applaud you for levelling your head so quickly.  That is no mean feat.
    Posted by DrCC

Thanks.  Aging had to have at least one upside.  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Well Said!

I am disappointed but I am a realist-- this team had no chance at winning the cup once Krejci got hurt and no chance at winning the next round.  I look forward to next year with the influx of new Talent such as Seguin or Hall-- and Colborne.

They need to sign Seidenberg and rid themselves of a couple of Contracts, such as Thomas and Ryder.  Rask will be fine as a number 1, my only concern is Coaching.  I don't think CJ can get the Bruins to the next level.  Every team has injuries to overcome at this point, but I just don't think his system is good enough to win consistently in the playoffs.  Just watch Chicago and San Jose play and you will see that this team needs more offensive imagination.

Props to Lucic-- Thought he played a great game. 

A couple of Changes in Philosophy and the young talent that is coming-- a Cup is in the near future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Bump for MILANlucic17.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//the Kessel deal set the team back a year or two in terms of being a legitimate Cup contender, but needed to be done./

And I think PC knew this as well. The Draft is just over a month away it's the only thing having to do with that nightmare last night that might make me feel better about the Bruins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GahdenBoy. Show GahdenBoy's posts

Boys....respect to your level headed comments!!!! As much as this hurts, Im a big believer in the saying, "You have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win"...That being said, the future is bright.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfUnxqOPSE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Thank you for your thread and the calming effect it's had on me ... not!  I'm so pissed I can't even be next to myself - in fact, I don't want to be anywhere near myself, right now, because I'm afraid I might hit me.  

A huge part of me wants to blow up the whole team, aside from 11 players, literally, but then I read all of the wise posts here, and I go back to knowing that the Bruins are building and the playoff experience, despite its outcome, will help down the road with the youth and talent that is here now and is on the way over the next two Junes.  There is a very strong core, especially down the middle and hopefully the draft and/or trades will land some skilled and fast wings along with a solid puck-moving (not puck-losing) defenseman.

Seriously, this is the most intelligent and wisest thread I've read in a long, long time.  I'm sitting down and breathing again.  Thank you.

Rask, Stuart, Boychuk, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Recchi, Sobotka, Seidenberg (imperative to resign him), and Thornton.