And you thought PC was out to lunch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

And you thought PC was out to lunch

Have you seen the insane contracts handed out yesterday? I can't believe so many knock PC for the contracts he has signed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: And you thought PC was out to lunch

9 times out of 10 GM's have to overpay in Free Agency.  Especially on Day 1.  IMHO, the defenseman were the beneficiaries yesterday, and the Goalies took "Haircuts".  It comes down sometimes to simple supply & demand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Agree, but I do like what the Oilers paid for Foster, though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

all the free agents will be overpaid, I still have no idea what calgary is doing, Ottawa paid to much for Gonchar, Toronto wants to much for kaberle who is on the last year of his contract. paul martin is overpaid, no way I give him that! Dan heiumus made out big time because the blackhawks are selling their whole team and vancouver thinks they have a shot for the cup which they do. So i will go a long with that move, getting back to the mapleleafs the armstrong deal is a good one toronto is desperate to get back on track again burke is on the hotseat they have to make moves because the bruins own toronto 1st rd pick again which i know will be a top 10 pick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cad11. Show cad11's posts

Darryl Sutter is apparently back on the crack pipe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

He is on something i just have no idea what it is. just keep PC away from him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So many factors go into the trends, too.  Doug Wilson's comments on signing Antero (not up for checking the spelling on the Finns today) were telling: teams are winning cups with less-than-top-flight goaltenders.  Even Fleury, for all that he's a former first overall pick, isn't a top-flight goaltender.  When was the last real goaltending match-up?  Khabibulin vs. Kiprusoff?  So now you see a few teams deciding to get capable goalies at bargain rates so that they can spend more on skaters, and particularly on mobile defensemen and shot-blockers.  In theory, good shot-blockers make life easier for your goaltender, and mobile defensemen help minimize the sustained pressure in your own end by either getting to loose pucks more quickly or skating the puck out of danger.

Too soon to tell if there's anything to this new flavour of the month.  This is the first time we've really seen teams other than Detroit and Philly consciously choose the lesser of two options.  If Antero works out as well for SJ as he has for Philly and Tampa Bay, I think I'd be firing Doug Wilson if I'm the owner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

And to think, the Big Russians are still waiting to sign.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

TO is on track to compete and make the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

My Favorite: Derrek Boogard 4 years $1.65 mil per

Well played NY Rangers. Clap. Clap.  With Avery skating circles around him like a nat telling him who to kill the Rangers should have a productive year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

stinkman - strike two (Ryan in San Jose was strike one).  Hamhuis was a Predator, not a Blackhawk, so that comment's out to lunch.  Everyone blows one now and again, but that's two pretty simple knowledge slips in a short time.  One more and we're going to relegate you to the P-Bruins board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessup07. Show jessup07's posts

In Response to Re: And you thought PC was out to lunch:
    all the free agents will be overpaid, I still have no idea what calgary is doing, Ottawa paid to much for Gonchar, Toronto wants to much for kaberle who is on the last year of his contract. paul martin is overpaid, no way I give him that! Dan heiumus made out big time because the blackhawks are selling their whole team and vancouver thinks they have a shot for the cup which they do. So i will go a long with that move, getting back to the mapleleafs the armstrong deal is a good one toronto is desperate to get back on track again burke is on the hotseat they have to make moves because the bruins own toronto 1st rd pick again which i know will be a top 10 pick
    Posted by stinkman

who is this heiumus guy that the blackhawks sold to van???  i know a hamhuis that played for nashville last year that signed with van, had nothing to do with trading though.

and how on earth is 3 million a year for 3 years a good deal for colby armstrong??? i mean a 30pt grinder for that kind of money??? oh my. 

and for everyone that complains savard is making too much, how about 49 pt career high cullen signing in minny for 3.5 a year!!!  that is insane!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

GOAT - I have a whiff of deja vu with the Toronto moves.  Last year, when they rebuilt that defense, half the world thought they'd at least make the playoffs, be 'tough to play against' and testify to the genius that is Burke.  Kack.

A lot of this now rides on how much faith you have in Versteeg (and Gustafsson).  He was a good fit in Chicago and played well in that system and with that loaded roster.  I'm guessing they see him as either Kessel's new centre or the centrepiece of a second scoring line.  Maybe Armstrong-Bozek-Kessel, Grabovski-Kadri-Versteeg? That leaves a third line of Kulemin-Mitchell-Caputi, then maybe Hanson-Orr-Sjostrom?  That's pretty thin.  And pretty soft.  Other than Orr and Armstrong, there isn't a guy there who can hit with much velocity. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In Response to And you thought PC was out to lunch:
    Have you seen the insane contracts handed out yesterday? I can't believe so many knock PC for the contracts he has signed.
    Posted by sparky1313

How about over 16 mil for a 3 year deal for a 36 year old that has missed 87 of his last 167 games through injury...Ottawa has invested a lot of salary in two aging Russians...Gonchar and Kovalev who is turning 37. As for Toronto I dont see much there...Versteeg will be lucky to score 15 will that gang of college rejects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

GOAT - I have a whiff of deja vu with the Toronto moves.  Last year, when they rebuilt that defense, half the world thought they'd at least make the playoffs, be 'tough to play against' and testify to the genius that is Burke.  Kack. A lot of this now rides on how much faith you have in Versteeg (and Gustafsson).  He was a good fit in Chicago and played well in that system and with that loaded roster.  I'm guessing they see him as either Kessel's new centre or the centrepiece of a second scoring line.  Maybe Armstrong-Bozek-Kessel, Grabovski-Kadri-Versteeg? That leaves a third line of Kulemin-Mitchell-Caputi, then maybe Hanson-Orr-Sjostrom?  That's pretty thin.  And pretty soft.  Other than Orr and Armstrong, there isn't a guy there who can hit with much velocity. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

They have less scoring ability than the B's last year they'll lose every night 2-1, I love it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Posted by stinkman

$3 Million per season for a guy that scored a whopping 29 points last season is not really a "good" deal unless one has been indulging in a little too much Blue and White Koolaide....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to And you thought PC was out to lunch : How about over 16 mil for a 3 year deal for a 36 year old that has missed 87 of his last 167 games through injury...Ottawa has invested a lot of salary in two aging Russians...Gonchar and Kovalev who is turning 37. As for Toronto I dont see much there...Versteeg will be lucky to score 15 will that gang of college rejects.
    Posted by saultont

It will be interesting to see how Versteeg does on a bottom dwelling team especially when he will now be drawing the Leafs oppositions' top defenders.

I highly doubt that Versteeg replaces Ponikarovsky's and Stahlberg's lost offensive output next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

GOAT - I have a whiff of deja vu with the Toronto moves.  Last year, when they rebuilt that defense, half the world thought they'd at least make the playoffs, be 'tough to play against' and testify to the genius that is Burke.  Kack. A lot of this now rides on how much faith you have in Versteeg (and Gustafsson).  He was a good fit in Chicago and played well in that system and with that loaded roster.  I'm guessing they see him as either Kessel's new centre or the centrepiece of a second scoring line.  Maybe Armstrong-Bozek-Kessel, Grabovski-Kadri-Versteeg? That leaves a third line of Kulemin-Mitchell-Caputi, then maybe Hanson-Orr-Sjostrom?  That's pretty thin.  And pretty soft.  Other than Orr and Armstrong, there isn't a guy there who can hit with much velocity. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

It is like deja vu all over again.

I remember arguing with my Leaf buddies last summer on how the Leafs would end the season out of playoff contention, but most of them were convinced that their messiah, Burke, could walk on water.

The only time that the Leafs are considered a "playoff contender" is in the summertime when no hockey is being played. 

But the additions of Versteeg and Armstrong really changes nothing in the Leafs' fortunes.

Bruins get another lottery pick from the Leafs next summer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pittsburgh and New Jersey may have overpaid for there big free agents but they got bigger and tougher in a heartbeat. Martin and Michalek in the swamp. Tallinder and Volchenkov down in steel land. That's some big lumber back on the blueline! those two teams got even better.

"It will be interesting to see how Versteeg does on a bottom dwelling team especially when he will now be drawing the Leafs oppositions' top defenders."

I'm with you Rmiller this is what will most intrigue me the most about the 2011 Laffs. We'll see how good Kris is now won't we!? Still would have preferred Versteeg reunited with Krejci damn it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Boogard got FOUR years at 1.6M/YR! I know you need big bodies to rough the opposition up, but he's not even worth 900K.

Armstrong at 3M a year is a complete joke as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SanDog, you got your peanut butter in the chocolate - Tallinder and Volchenkov in the Swamp, Martin and Michalek in the Pitt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

sorry bookboy, do  not send me down to the minors, their are so many names out there i lose track of the teams not the players. what i meant was the blackhawks are trading eveybody and vancouver jumped in and signed hamuis which is a good move because they think they are a contender, I just was saying that the move made sense. i know he never played for the blackhawks. If it came out that way i screwed up.the ryan mistake was on me i meant  ana. if you read the blog instead of following where the players are playing or did play you would know what i mean.Just kidding! thanks for correcting me Have a happy forth give me 2 minutes for having amnesia. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

SanDog, you got your peanut butter in the chocolate - Tallinder and Volchenkov in the Swamp, Martin and Michalek in the Pitt. Posted by Bookboy007

Niced lady at Starbucks "Triple shot please!"...