Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call!

Since last weekend the memories of 1979 series Montreal-Boston with that famous call of  " Too many men on the ice " keeps churning everywhere,  TV, Radio and hockey buddies.
    To whomever was old enough do you recall where you watched this game ?
    With whom you watched this game ?
    After Lafleur scored what reaction you had ?

Well I watched it alone as my dad was convinced Habs would win and didn't want the aggravation . He actually fell asleep early and went to bed.  My brother was too young and also was in bed early.
    It's safe to say I woke them both up screaming, upset (besides that I had bet my whole collection of O-Pee-Chee hockey cards) I could not face that Habs fan !
    Gilbert I felt he made 70 saves that nite and that puck Lafleur slapped was just destined to go in by the inside of the post. How unlucky could the Bruins and Gilbert be  ????
    That too many men on the ice (almost two men) was and is still very mysterious !
    Till today no player nor Don Cherry really want to say what really happened.
    What's the rumor ?  Anybody know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call!

In Response to Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call!:
    [QUOTE]Since last weekend the memories of 1979 series Montreal-Boston with that famous call of  " Too many men on the ice " keeps churning everywhere,  TV, Radio and hockey buddies. To whomever was old enough do you recall where you watched this game ? With whom you watched this game ? After Lafleur scored what reaction you had ? Well I watched it alone as my dad was convinced Habs would win and didn't want the aggravation . He actually fell asleep early and went to bed.  My brother was too young and also was in bed early. It's safe to say I woke them both up screaming, upset (besides that I had bet my whole collection of O-Pee-Chee hockey cards) I could not face that Habs fan ! Gilbert I felt he made 70 saves that nite and that puck Lafleur slapped was just destined to go in by the inside of the post. How unlucky could the Bruins and Gilbert be  ???? That too many men on the ice (almost two men) was and is still very mysterious ! Till today no player nor Don Cherry really want to say what really happened. What's the rumor ?  Anybody know?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    I watched this game by myself in my room on my small b&w TV & cried like a baby! When Lapointe scored to tie it at 3 I thought. OMG not again. Then Nifty Middelton made it 4-3. I said yes this should do it. I thought Gilly & the B's were gonna do it! Then the Forum ghost came alive. I remember Marcott was all over Lafleur in that 3rd period & I remember saying to myself how in the hell is Lafleur out there for this long. Cherry told me Marcott stayed out for four straight shifts shadowing #10 & when he finally came off two B's jumped on. I asked Cherry at his restaurant in Moncton N.B who they were & he said that's something that me & the team will take to our graves. It wasn't anyone's fault, but mine he said. Scotty knew what he was doing & knew the pressure was still more on us than them because it was so long since we won at the Forum & beat them out of the play-offs.
    The Rumors I heard was it was Jonathan & Weinsek that jumped. The two goals that I have seen in my life that I can honestly say no goalie on the planet was going to stop even though they were what might be considered long distance was the shot by Lafleur to tie it & the one Stevie Y scored on Jon Casey against St. Louis in double OT in 96. As a goalie, some pucks are just shot perfectly & there's not a thing you, or anyone else can do. The most devasting loss as B's fan EVER!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

That game left a mark, it hurt real bad. I was 19 at the time, and wanted the Bruins to beat the Canadiens about as much as you could imagine.
    I watched a replay on classic sports a while back, and still couldn't believe it was possible that the B's could lose. Those were great Bruin teams, and about the most entertaining brand of hockey I've ever seen. Don Cherry was awesome!!!
                               YellF#*^%&G CANADIENSYell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I know I was 20 at the time.

I know I was watching the game.

I know I was drinking hard.

That's about all I know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

sometimes I think about it after a bruins game trying to fall asleep .
    I try to imagine lafleur winding up and gilbert make a toe save.
    today we would be talking about the Bruins in a total different tongue.
    then as i try to imagine further my thoughts fade away. 
    one day i will awake and the Bruins won the cup.  reality or just the continuation of that gilbert toe save on lafleur ?
    yes i remember that day, i was 13 and as bruins fan watching on my older bros zenith. when they called the penalty we both knew it was over.  i knew even b4 the ot.  that weekend folowing me and my brother were grounded and we needed a new door for his room. Don Cherry whats the big secret ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

I broke the kitchen towel rack at my parents home when that Lafleur goal went in. Had a quiet rage after that as i knew it is was over. When Lambert beat Park and Gilbert on the winner i remember just feeling sorry for Gilbert because i belived  still to this day that it was the best playoff performance by a goalie i have seen & i've watch alot of playoff hockey. Though i think (might be wrong) it was Cashman who scored the go ahead goal for the B's. The only goal that stung as much as the Lafleur goal was the Klima overtime goal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hendy77. Show hendy77's posts

Back to therapy.

I had just erased that night from my mind.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hendy77. Show hendy77's posts

Also.. found this, from Grapes himself...

Why too many men on the ice?

"That was my fault," Boston coach Don Cherry said. "They (his players) must have thought they heard me say something. I had to grab two other guys or we'd have had eight out there!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call!:
    [QUOTE]I broke the kitchen towel rack at my parents home when that Lafleur goal went in. Had a quiet rage after that as i knew it is was over. When Lambert beat Park and Gilbert on the winner i remember just feeling sorry for Gilbert because i belived  still to this day that it was the best playoff performance by a goalie i have seen & i've watch alot of playoff hockey. Though i think (might be wrong) it was Cashman who scored the go ahead goal for the B's. The only goal that stung as much as the Lafleur goal was the Klima overtime goal.
    Posted by east-westBsfan[/QUOTE]
    You could be right on Cash. I thought he scored the 3rd goal to make it 3-1 B's Then nifty came around the net on his backhand to stuff it after Lapointe tied it at 3. I could have them backwards. Either way, it was a brutal loss. The Klima goal was tough too, especially when Glen Wesley had the whole upper half of the net to end it in 2OT. The performance by Gillie was definately the best B's goalie performance I've ever seen in a 5 game series. I say five because Cheesy played gm's 1 & 2.
    Jim Craigs heroics in 1980 (I'm a Canadian BTW) is the best individual performance by a goalie I ever witnessed. Followed by a close 2nd in 1989 Van vs Cal Gm 7 by Mike Vernon in OT alone he made 3 over the top saves. 2 on Tony Tanti & 1 on Stan Smyle. Not there's never been better saves, but the timing of them. GM 7 in OT is as crunch as is it gets!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I don't know but Bernie Parent beating Orr and the Boys in 74 was some display of goaltending, you couldn't have 2 better years than he put together and 2 cups in 74&75.

79 was hard to take then & even harder to think about now. All I heard for about 10 years or more was "& the tradition continues" from Hab fans home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember reading somewhere that Don Marcotte was the extra player on the ice.

This makes sense as he was assigned to shadow Lafleur. I believe the story was that somehow Lafleur was sent out and Marcotte saw Lafleur go over the boards from the Canadiens bench, however it wasn't a situation where a certain checking line was assigned to Montreal's line ,so late in the game with a one goal lead Marcotte was concentrating on just being on the ice whenever Lafleur was on the ice. I am guessing Bowman knew that he needed to get Lafleur away from Marcotte so he switched up his lines or something like that.

Marcotte was a long time Bruins player and a really good guy. All his teammates really liked him. It is quite a testament to Don Marcotte that none of teammates ever ratted him out to the media after all these years. Whoever the player is for sure, whether it be Marcotte or Wensink ( somehow I don't see Wensink being sent out to help protect a one goal lead late , as he was primarily a goon) one thing is for sure if the media ever found out the truth the guy would be as big of a goat as Bill Buckner. And just as unfairly treated.

If I recall correctly Cherry asked his dog 'Blue' who should play goal in that pivotal game and his pal told him to start Gilles Gilbert over the "money" goalie, Gerry Cheevers. The dog made the correct call because I remember Gilbert was absolutely brilliant stopping the Canadiens cold over and over again. I think Gilbert was named 1st star of the game! Imagine that , the losing golaie in a playoff game in the Forum... he was that good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know but Bernie Parent beating Orr and the Boys in 74 was some display of goaltending, you couldn't have 2 better years than he put together and 2 cups in 74&75. 79 was hard to take then & even harder to think about now. All I heard for about 10 years or more was "& the tradition continues" from Hab fans home.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Oh Bernie was AMAZING! & not taking anything away from him. However, I have spoken to Phil Esposito about that series & he said Gilbert wasn't the same goalie he was earlier in the Play-offs. He said Parent was the difference & made huge saves at huge times & Gilbert didn't play bad. He just didn't come up big as much as Bernie did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I remember reading somewhere that Don Marcotte was the extra player on the ice. This makes sense as he was assigned to shadow Lafleur. I believe the story was that somehow Lafleur was sent out and Marcotte saw Lafleur go over the boards from the Canadiens bench, however it wasn't a situation where a certain checking line was assigned to Montreal's line ,so late in the game with a one goal lead Marcotte was concentrating on just being on the ice whenever Lafleur was on the ice. I am guessing Bowman knew that he needed to get Lafleur away from Marcotte so he switched up his lines or something like that. Marcotte was a long time Bruins player and a really good guy. All his teammates really liked him. It is quite a testament to Don Marcotte that none of teammates ever ratted him out to the media after all these years. Whoever the player is for sure, whether it be Marcotte or Wensink ( somehow I don't see Wensink being sent out to help protect a one goal lead late , as he was primarily a goon) one thing is for sure if the media ever found out the truth the guy would be as big of a goat as Bill Buckner. And just as unfairly treated. If I recall correctly Cherry asked his dog 'Blue' who should play goal in that pivotal game and his pal told him to start Gilles Gilbert over the "money" goalie, Gerry Cheevers. The dog made the correct call because I remember Gilbert was absolutely brilliant stopping the Canadiens cold over and over again. I think Gilbert was named 1st star of the game! Imagine that , the losing golaie in a playoff game in the Forum... he was that good.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Zillagod, but Jonny W scored 28 goals that yr. He was much more than a goon that season. He only had 1 assist I believe in 8 games, but he played a regular shift. Also Cheevers hurt his knee in the Pittsburg series & it showed in the first 2 games against the Habs. Cherry did like to say Blue decided the goalies, but there was no way Grapes would've started Gilbert over his "meal ticket Cheesy unless he was hurt." That's a quote from Cherry himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabou. Show mabou's posts

Cashman and Middleton each scored twice. Cashman put them up 3-1. Middleton put them up 4-3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

LOL... I was an 8-year-old kid, but a Bruins fan. I was probably asleep. However, I would bet money I played street hockey that day with my older brother and his friends. I'm sure I went to plenty of AHL Hershey Bears games that year too! 

Yes, i missed the game. But i do know those names! ;) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : Sorry Zillagod, but Jonny W scored 28 goals that yr. He was much more than a goon that season. He only had 1 assist I believe in 8 games, but he played a regular shift. Also Cheevers hurt his knee in the Pittsburg series & it showed in the first 2 games against the Habs. Cherry did like to say Blue decided the goalies, but there was no way Grapes would've started Gilbert over his "meal ticket Cheesy unless he was hurt." That's a quote from Cherry himself.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

John Wensink was a 4th line goon. He scored some goals with deflections off his back. In the 70's it was not uncommon for goons to score some goals, the game was more wide open , expansion teams really were awful so there were some 10-1 games ( California Seals, KC Scouts... just pathetic teams). Even Dave "the Hammer" Schultz scored 20 goals. Tiger Williams was known to score a few also. It was different , 50 goal scorers were a dime a dozen.

You could be right about the Cheevers thing, but I always thought Gilly was more talented , and I know Cherry talked to his dog, because he's a nut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Cashman and Middleton each scored twice. Cashman put them up 3-1. Middleton put them up 4-3.
    Posted by mabou[/QUOTE]
    'You could be right on Cash. I thought he scored the 3rd goal to make it 3-1 B's Then nifty came around the net on his backhand to stuff it after Lapointe tied it at 3."
    Hey Mabou- not that it matters, but I do like it when I'm right. Tongue outlol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : 'You could be right on Cash. I thought he scored the 3rd goal to make it 3-1 B's Then nifty came around the net on his backhand to stuff it after Lapointe tied it at 3." Hey Mabou- not that it matters, but I do like it when I'm right. lol
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Good job nitemare. The only goals i visually remember were the tying & winning hab goals and one of Cashman's which i recall it making me very happy, but it was probably because it put them up by two. Thanks Mabou 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : John Wensink was a 4th line goon. He scored some goals with deflections off his back. In the 70's it was not uncommon for goons to score some goals, the game was more wide open , expansion teams really were awful so there were some 10-1 games ( California Seals, KC Scouts... just pathetic teams). Even Dave "the Hammer" Schultz scored 20 goals. Tiger Williams was known to score a few also. It was different , 50 goal scorers were a dime a dozen. You could be right about the Cheevers thing, but I always thought Gilly was more talented , and I know Cherry talked to his dog, because he's a nut.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

C'mon ZILLA take it easy on my boy. We could use a couple of Wensink types on this team. Man -they showed zero backbone in Montreal. We could use a little Don Cherry attitude also. Someone needed to get cracked last night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I remember, though I want to forget it. Was 16 at that time. Amazing game, just the wrong outcome. I'm still savouring last years playoff sweep of the Habs......a more pleasant, recent memory. Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : C'mon ZILLA take it easy on my boy. We could use a couple of Wensink types on this team. Man -they showed zero backbone in Montreal. We could use a little Don Cherry attitude also. Someone needed to get cracked last night.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand.

I loved John Wensink. I loved Jay Miller, Lyndon Byers, Ken Baumgartner, Willi Plett and Marty McSorley.

But these guys were mainly in the NHL for the intimidation and fighting skills...except maybe Plett, who could play a little.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : C'mon ZILLA take it easy on my boy. We could use a couple of Wensink types on this team. Man -they showed zero backbone in Montreal. We could use a little Don Cherry attitude also. Someone needed to get cracked last night.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Agree,  I can't believe this team has to rely on Lucic to hit.
    Yes Staurt laid some hits and so did Begin but it was on useless players like Laraque.
    Very nice reading all your stories guys . 

One last question ; Don Cherry has mentioned on more than one occasion that G Gilbert hated his guts ,  can anyone share some insight ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : Agree,  I can't believe this team has to rely on Lucic to hit. Yes Staurt laid some hits and so did Begin but it was on useless players like Laraque. Very nice reading all your stories guys .  One last question ; Don Cherry has mentioned on more than one occasion that G Gilbert hated his guts ,  can anyone share some insight ?

I remember that Gilbert was in Cherry's doghouse for most of that season which made his playoff performance even more remarkable. Not sure but i think the problem was a few bad outings and an ethnic comment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I remember, though I want to forget it. Was 16 at that time. Amazing game, just the wrong outcome. I'm still savouring last years playoff sweep of the Habs......a more pleasant, recent memory.
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]
    Yes I agree with you. Here's some more interesting facts. Pat Roy who arguably is one of the best ever (never in my eyes, but I can't argue with experts who makes more money than me in giving their opinion) is the only Montreal goalie in history who has a losing record against the B's in the play-offs. With a series record of 2 & 5.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you old enough? 1979 and the mystic of the call! : Agree,  I can't believe this team has to rely on Lucic to hit. Yes Staurt laid some hits and so did Begin but it was on useless players like Laraque. Very nice reading all your stories guys .  One last question ; Don Cherry has mentioned on more than one occasion that G Gilbert hated his guts ,  can anyone share some insight ?

I think the feeling was very mutual on that. I have heard however that Cherry would tell the players if they were to practice high corner shots to do it only when Gilbert was in the net. They were to take nice easy shots on Cheevers. Just because Cheevers would skate off the ice, or lose it on anyone who shot high on him. Gilbert always felt that Cherry catered to Cheevers a little too much