Blake Wheeler exposed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Blake Wheeler exposed

It's not surprising that this hasn't been mentioned on this board yet. Didn't anyone see Blake Wheeler react when he was physically challenged last game?
    I was embarrassed for him - Does this guy have any heart? He didn't even try to defend himself. That should be a red flag to everyone when it comes time to decide his future with this organization.
    We're talking about a 6'5" NHL forward - who didn't TRY to defend himself.
    Savard can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, but he would have given it his best anyway -That's called HEART. Wheeler has none, and the lack of it was exposed last game. Not being able to do something is understandable, not willing is unacceptable. It was sickening to watch -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Re: Blake Wheeler exposed

Yeah lets have Savvy and Wheels start throwing punhes and breaking fingers and hands...We don't need goal scoring anyways. Orr would speed bag everyone on that team with the exception of Thornton and Lucic (who is injured). I mean Wheeler busting his hump all summer to show up to camp in the best shape of his life to avoid a sophmore slump or Savvy taking less money to stay here in Boston is totally gutless (Sarcasm)...There is more than one way to exemplify playing hockey with heart other than fighting.

Not to smart if you ask me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm old school also and when I saw him turtle didn't like it.
    Wheeler is young and comes from the University program where fighting is banned. This is where I can understand. I hope a Thornton or Lucic talks to him and tells him not to do that anymore and not to worry as there are others that will watch his back. Ference was one that sent that message.
    On the other hand Orr is a loser goon .  I can't believe he went after a kid that way. There is a code.  O'Reilly would not go after Lemaire ,maybe talk to him or rub him off the boards but not drop the gloves when the other guy clearly is not a fighter.
    What Colton Orr did , is it any different than what Carcillo or Walker did last season ?  So Wheeler had to stand there and take a punch ?
    The Leafs play garage goon hockey. It's no wonder they have a Hansen on their team.

BTW JWensink see the article today on front page. I thought of you when I saw and read it.  That's right !  The Bruins are a better team when they stickup for each other , with emotion and yes fight back !  2 or more fights in a game and the Bruins won them all.  There you have it.
    I'm not saying for Bruins to start fights but don't back down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I not advocating him to fight- but how about defending yourself and your team mates? He literally cowered, at least show some character and self respect.
    It's not about his strength, it's about his guts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010's posts

Why would Wheel try to fight with Orr ?? 

I was not in a position to defend himself, Orr came from nowhere and besides the Bruins got a Power thanks to Blake

Or will not be as brave when Milan returns....Chara couldnt fight  cause he had his upper lips wide opened from a high stick

Milan will take care of Orr when he comes back ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It would have been nice to see Wheeler do something, but besides actually fighting, I just don't know what he could do.  Orr bumped him into the boards pretty well, and gave Wheeler a shove.  Wheeler tried to just turn and skate away, so Orr grabbed his head from behind.  I know 'turtling' is a dirty word, but at that point I don't see what else he could do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

That was just after he pushed a Leaf ( White? ) into the boards, right? It looked a bit bad and made me wince first time I saw it. He probably got a bit panicked after that knowing someone was gonna come after him.

What did you think of the push? Just clumsiness I guess since it didn't even merit a penalty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Legion's got a point about Wheeler coming from college hockey - he doesn't have much exposure to that kind of challenge.  That's a situation where he could get rolled up really badly if he doesn't know how to protect himself - not necessarily exchange bombs with...

I can't even call that guy by his name on this board, can we agree to call him Colton?  Or something more derogatory? 

Anyway, learn to tie him up and slip a punch so you don't get badly hurt.  But that's a skill he has to learn, and Thornton or Lucic really should pull him aside and show him where to grab and how to stand.  And make it clear to the kid that there's no shame in being a skill player who loses a fight to goon - you score just by standing in.  Teach him enough that he knows he'll survive and I doubt he'll be quite so embarrassing.  At least, I hope not.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two other quick points - I remember Pierre McGuire talking about a potential fight between Gill and Turner Stevenson and saying Stevenson would clean Gill's clock.  Take the WHL guy with over 200 min. in fighting majors in junior over the Collegian every time - even when the college guy is 6'8".

And just to add that this isn't the end of the world for Wheeler (I've seen him take hits to make plays, be strong on the boards), see if you can find video of an '80s brawl where Denis Savard was skating backwards in terror and begging the linesmen to step in because Dave Brown (or someone of that class) was who he got paired with.

Linseman would also deal with situations like this by putting the blade of his stick up under a guy's chin and making it clear he had no qualms about Zorroing his name on the guy's face.  Ah, the Rat.  Classic example of a guy I loved as a Bruin, hated for the rest of his career.  Shifty, gritty little bugger.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wensink didn't say word one about forgetting scoring.  He said Wheeler showed a lack of heart.  You don't win without heart because as soon as the opposition knows you can be bullied, you'll never get comfortable again.  To my mind, that is the value of hockey as a sport - skill is fine, but you have to pair it with the courage to put your body on the line for the sake of your own game and for your teammates.  Great lesson in that.

Otherwise, it's figure skating with sticks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Blake Wheeler exposed:
    Wensink didn't say word one about forgetting scoring.  He said Wheeler showed a lack of heart.  You don't win without heart because as soon as the opposition knows you can be bullied, you'll never get comfortable again.  To my mind, that is the value of hockey as a sport - skill is fine, but you have to pair it with the courage to put your body on the line for the sake of your own game and for your teammates.  Great lesson in that. Otherwise, it's figure skating with sticks.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Thanks Brookboy -well said

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]This post is a perfect example of the typical Bruins fan and a perfect examle of why they never win anything..We need to fight more...forget about scoring and winning. Good grief
    Posted by nashville0303[/QUOTE]

Funny because you're always looking for a fight.

Fluto's article today:

It was, most likely, no coincidence that with the clashes came a win.

Three times this season, the Bruins have recorded two or more fights in a game. All three times, they have won.

If you read my post I didn't say to start or look for a fight (unlike those goons from TO) I said FIGHT BACK  in bold. 
    There will always be fights and it's no secret that the team rally's for each other and play much better.
    When and if fights will be banned in the NHL then it'sa different story. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

[QUOTE]I not advocating him to fight- but how about defending yourself and your team mates? He literally cowered, at least show some character and self respect. It's not about his strength, it's about his guts.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

I'll take a goal over a fight anyday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

yikes! i get called dum,stupid & every other name cause of the thomas posts,but this one rivals anything ive ever said....dr. cc had it right,the kid got jumped by orr! never expecting it,at this point what was he suppose to do?....so heart is only shown as a physical defend yourself thing? obvious the kid is big & passionate in the way he plays....this year hes been stepping into opponents at a regular rate & showing a physical willin side we didnt see last year...hes not a fighter! so give up on him? wow! im flabbergasted everyone has roles to play,wheeler,s is not bein a tough guy & orr would of killed him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Can anyone see this post or am I still posting invisibly?

Waste of time.

make sure your posts are visible before wasting time on this forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

He is not supposed to fight, he didn't want to, he was being targeted and would've got more embarassed if he did, there was no point, it wouldn't have changed the game.
    The reason White went head first is at he got the little shove, he was trying to cut back in the other direction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Wheels didn't pull a Crowder did he? Remember when Nilan was standing over him & Crowder was in the fetal position? That was the most embarrassing moment as a Bruin fan. Last yr when Big George was chasing Lucic. You know what Lucic said to George? I got this from a member of the Lucic family who flew with the airline I work for. He said. "George I'm not afraid of you, but coach told me unless you play close to my 15-20 min a game I'm not allowed to drop them with you." George has some class & he said "You gotta listen to your coach kid, but my coach told me to challenge you every time!"
    So, I think that Wheels & the rest have been told not to fight on every challenge. Look to see who it is & if it's somebody who gets 1/4 of your ice time don't take the chance. We have other guys that can take care of that. I didn't see exactly what Wheels did, but as long as he didn't drop to his knees & cover up, I don't have a problem with him just skating away. And if Wheels did check White in a bad way then he deserves a shot to the head! Thornton would be all over anyone who does the same thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyD603. Show TommyD603's posts

Wheeler boarded a dude on the prior shift and it wasn't called. Orr was simply doing his enforcer duty. He went after the guy to let him know he couldn't do that. Don't want to fight? Don't throw a dangerous hit... no matter what type of player you are. Wheeler turtled, which is sad... it's not a fight he was going to win, but it's also a fight he had coming.
    Over all, I really like Wheeler and his game. I wish he were more physical, because he has the assets to be... but he's a bubbley boy with hands and not a hard-nosed killer like Lucic... it's just not going to happen to any significant extent. He's a good player and a good guy, and handled this one situation poorly... that's all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

Wheels aside, man I love Lucic! What a difference he makes to a team. He might only pot 20 goals a year, but I tell ya, nobody is gonna push us around with Lucic in the lineup. By the early part of the second period against Toronto, I had counted three big hits by the Leafs against Bruins players. Yeah, I'd like to see the Leafs pull that after Lucic returns. He definitely makes us tough to play against. That intimidating physical presence allows the team to play with more confidence and less fear of getting walloped by an opposing player. When I see the difference Lucic makes, I say his 4 mil is justified even if he doesn't score much more than 20 goals a year. And who knows, he may develop into a 30 goal scorer. Glad he's only out two more weeks.

Hurry back, Looch! We need you, man!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Here's footage of what happened:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDu51hNrHM
    At about 1:50 is a closer view of the exchange.
    I just looked at it again.  It really looks like Colton took Wheeler's helmet off then tried to shove him headfirst into the boards.  Maybe it just came out that way because of Wheeler's squirming.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

Chara declined to go with Colton also in this game....does that make him a wimp too? Play "smart hockey" take the Power play and don't take a skilled player to the box with a goon. That being said, I do wish the B's still had Colton Orr.
    Worst turtle I ever saw was Sandy Moger in the fetal position taking a beating from Chris Chelios for God's sake!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BUReturns. Show BUReturns's posts

Don't have any facts about the kessel thing, and I can't say as I care, but obviously Wheeler wasn't going to fight Orr. He wasn't going to fight anyone, was he? Now would somebody please tell me when we're going to make a man of this guy so that he can stop embarrassing the team?

How are you supposed to show your face out there after a scene like that? This team has a pretty good rap when it comes to BIG but CLEAN hits, and dignity when it comes to fighting. This is just humiliating-- to have Stuart come to your defense when you're the 2nd biggest guy on the team.

Thing is, if Wheeler were to actually get into a fight, I think he might actually 'man-up'. Can't wait to see the day.

Thanks for the link.

ps. Anyone who doesn't get this whole fighting etiquette thing may not have as much an appreciation for hockey as he thinks he does.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Wheeler is never going to be a fighter, but that's a non-issue for a player with his skill.  For a guy who didn't play physically at all last year, the thing I was looking for this year was more of an acceptance of the hitting game and using his big frame to gain better position and work better along the boards.  He has a ways to go, but I've definitely seen improvement in the dirty areas from this kid.  It's the dedication to getting better that shows a player's character.  He doesn't need to drop the gloves to show he has heart for this team.

If he decided to take on Orr, and got his clock cleaned (and oh, he would have), it would have been a very different story.  Does anyone remember when Joe Thornton took on Lindros a few years back?  He got destroyed, broke his cheekbone, and was out of the lineup for a while (I forget how long).  Sometimes, having too much of what people have termed here as "heart" hurts your team more than it helps.  I won't ever blame a guy like Wheeler for not going up against a goon like Colton - it's not heart... it's just stupidity.

Some players grind, some players fight, others score goals, and while these parts are key to any NHL team, EACH player does not need to exhibit all 3.

Finally, why is some Nashville dude imparting his wisdom about how to win on "us people"?  Maybe his franchise should win a Cup first before telling others how to do it...