Bruins 1 of 4 teams with sub.500 home record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Bruins 1 of 4 teams with sub.500 home record

Alright hockey Krishnas

I know almost zero about hockey but I wanted to hear why the Bruins are  sub .500 at home and how they managed to be the only team in playoff contention with that poor home record?  Toronto and Edmonton have more home wins and they're both out of the playoffs.  I follow other sports but thought that this fact was interesting.  

What's with the home record?      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Re: Bruins 1 of 4 teams with sub.500 home record

I think it's a function of a team that is generally defensive oriented (good patient trap team) but plays a bit outside it's comfort zone to try and be more entertaining and score more in front of the home crowd.

Being a good road team bodes well for the playoffs though...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Bruins 1 of 4 teams with sub.500 home record:
    [QUOTE]Alright hockey Krishnas I know almost zero about hockey but I wanted to hear why the Bruins are  sub .500 at home and how they managed to be the only team in playoff contention with that poor home record?  Toronto and Edmonton have more home wins and they're both out of the playoffs.  I follow other sports but thought that this fact was interesting.   What's with the home record?      
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Am by no means an expert Brookline, but your astute observation is most confounding to hockey krishnas everywhere.  There is no logical explanation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins 1 of 4 teams with sub.500 home record:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a function of a team that is generally defensive oriented (good patient trap team) but plays a bit outside it's comfort zone to try and be more entertaining and score more in front of the home crowd. Being a good road team bodes well for the playoffs though...
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

posted my comment before i read yours lovereal.  your theory has some merit.  it's definately a mental thing though, and absolutely, totally unacceptable

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A few things make hockey a bit different than other sports when it comes to home ice.  There isn't the same opportunity to disrupt communication with crowd noise a la the NFL, or to distract shooters a la the NBA, or to play the caroms of unique playing surfaces and unique backdrops for batters a la MLB.  The energy of the crowd is an advantage, as is sleeping in your own bed and eating at home, but that's about it.

On the other hand, hockey players are at their best when they're not thinking, and too often you see players over-thinking what to do at home.  On the road, they keep it simple.  They read and react and follow their instincts and look to make plays based on deterimination and hard work.  Talent kicks in as part of instinct.

This season's Bruins seem to have come in thinking they would be top-5 in scoring again, or at least prepared to swagger their way to the top of the NE division.  So at home, it seems like they make the difficult pass, the fancy play, rather than keep it simple and fight for the puck all over the ice.  Over the course of the season, I think they've become aware that Bruin fans would like to see a win rather than a figure-skating show, but they've lost a good chunk of their confidence in front of the home crowd. That would be great if they'd play like they had something to prove, but they seem to be playing like emo kids who've been told they're a disappointment to their parents (with Mark Recchi playing Victorian Dad).

That help?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

The Bruins have tried to sell this "We are tough to play against in our own building" slogan.  Last year, it worked great, as the team was nearly infallible at home at time.

But, this year, home games haven't been the propeller they were last year, and I can't recall too many that the Bruins looked truly comfortable in.  It's most likely a combination of factors, including the Bruins not simplifying their game and other teams recognizing Boston's success at home last year.  Sometimes, road games provide a team lacking identity (see: 2009-10 Bruins) with an opportunity to just work hard and grind out a win.  The Bruins just aren't ready to work hard every home game.  They are too worried about making mistakes, and it's this tentativeness that really holds them back.  They are a little slow, a little behind.  You can tell they are thinking too hard about scoring instead of... just... scoring.  But the team can't score that much on the road either... they are just more willing to grind it out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Thanks for the replies fellas.  As a less than knowlegeable Bruins fan, I have no idea about the nuances of the game.  To me, it seems that the one thing they are missing this year they had last year -- more scoring with Kessel, better production form Kreciej, a healthy Savard, Lucic, etc.  

My uninformed opinion is that losing Kessel was addition by subtraction even though it's hard to argue that his scoring wouldn't help.  Gaining a top pick in the draft from the Leafs and the emergence of Tuukka are good things for the future, hope you guys can wait it out after long suffering.  

Hang in there guys, and thanks again for the knowledge.