Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal:
    In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : The end result of that trade hasn't been realized yet.  The Bruins didn't win a Cup with Neely.  The remaining parts of that trade, Lucic and Wideman, are still in play.  Hopefully one of those two will win a Cup in Boston so the trade doesn't become an official bust.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You aren't being serious are you???? Any trade for a future Hall of Famer is a win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal:
    In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : The end result of that trade hasn't been realized yet.  The Bruins didn't win a Cup with Neely.  The remaining parts of that trade, Lucic and Wideman, are still in play.  Hopefully one of those two will win a Cup in Boston so the trade doesn't become an official bust.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Calling the Pederson / Neely trade an "official bust" because the bruins as a team, did not win a cup, is probably one of the silliest things ever posted.
    I really hope you were kidding, because Stanley doesn't like it when someone tries to out-crazy him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

Great.... hope this one's just a rumour Nathan is not considered a very quick skater and has been tagged a bit of a slaggard!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

I've met Nathan Horton a few times... He's a world class d*****bag. The players don't like him, his coaches don't like him. He's lazy and doesn't think he has to work on his game. This is coming from teammates and opposing team members. The puck bunnies however would be happy to have him in Boston. Florida can keep him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I've met Nathan Horton a few times... He's a world class d*****bag. The players don't like him, his coaches don't like him. He's lazy and doesn't think he has to work on his game. This is coming from teammates and opposing team members. The puck bunnies however would be happy to have him in Boston. Florida can keep him.
    Posted by BruWingFan

Is his middle name "Phil"?  Why would you want to go down that road again?  Stop taking in strays!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Posted by BruWingFan

did he refuse your autograph request?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Horton has no work ethic and isn't good in the locker room. Talent only gets you so far. Yes, the Bruins need goals, but they also need guys with character & who is good in the locker room. Horton doesn't have either of those. What good is a guy who scores 30 goals if he divides the locker room & the team has no chemistry?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, please.  That Jerry Springer "you don' kno' me you don' kno' me!" thing is crap.  Do you really believe that you can't get a picture of a person's character by looking at their actions, their reactions to adversity, the way people react to them, etc.?  Because you're living in the wrong world if that's the case.  Behaviour-based character assessment is everywhere.  I'll give you that we don't have the complete information, but I'm not going to ignore the evidence I have seen because of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : Calling the Pederson / Neely trade an "official bust" because the bruins as a team, did not win a cup, is probably one of the silliest things ever posted. I really hope you were kidding, because Stanley doesn't like it when someone tries to out-crazy him.
    Posted by biggskye

I am not joking.  The goal of the franchise is to win the Cup.  If a transaction does not help in achieving the goal, is it a good transaction?  I see it as being happy with almost good enough.  Yeah, he was a lot of fun to watch, and there were some really great moment, but no Cup.  No Cup from that deal yet, anyway.  They still have Wideman and Lucic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I'll assume this is Chia's way of getting coach Bill Dauterive back in line. "Keep up these uninspired losing ways and I will let Horton have a couple free shots at you"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : I am not joking.  The goal of the franchise is to win the Cup.  If a transaction does not help in achieving the goal, is it a good transaction?  I see it as being happy with almost good enough.  Yeah, he was a lot of fun to watch, and there were some really great moment, but no Cup.  No Cup from that deal yet, anyway.  They still have Wideman and Lucic.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Based on that logic, if the bruins had won the cup this year, the Thornton trade was a steal for Boston.
    Stanley, where are you when we need your voice of reason?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : I am not joking.  The goal of the franchise is to win the Cup.  If a transaction does not help in achieving the goal, is it a good transaction?  I see it as being happy with almost good enough.  Yeah, he was a lot of fun to watch, and there were some really great moment, but no Cup.  No Cup from that deal yet, anyway.  They still have Wideman and Lucic.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

This is ridiculous, you are a fool if you think the B's didn't win that trade by a mile.  Stanley must have hacked your account.

HE IS A HALL OF FAMER.  I guess he warranted that when he was in Vancouver though. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : Based on that logic, if the bruins had won the cup this year, the Thornton trade was a steal for Boston. Stanley, where are you when we need your voice of reason?
    Posted by biggskye

Honestly, yes.  If it happened, one could point to Sturm's contribution during the season, and the available cap space created and used for Savard and Chara.

I understand it's an unconventional point of view, but if the goal is to win the Cup, and all moves made are designed to advance toward the goal, those moves that don't are failures.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : Honestly, yes.  If it happened, one could point to Sturm's contribution during the season, and the available cap space created and used for Savard and Chara. I understand it's an unconventional point of view, but if the goal is to win the Cup, and all moves made are designed to advance toward the goal, those moves that don't are failures.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That is the dumbest point of view for trades I've ever seen.  Did Cam Neely make the team better? YES.  Was he one of the best players in the league when healthy? YES. He is put up better numbers in Boston than Pederson put up in Vancouver? YES. Is Cam Neely in the HHOF? YES.  Is Pederson? NO. Did Pederson win a cup in Vancouver? NO. Would keeping Pederson over Neely given Boston a better chance at winning a cup? NO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : This is ridiculous, you are a fool if you think the B's didn't win that trade by a mile.  Stanley must have hacked your account. HE IS A HALL OF FAMER.  I guess he warranted that when he was in Vancouver though. 
    Posted by derrickmorin

I didn't suggest that the B's didn't get the better of the deal.  I said that if the ultimate goal of any team is to win the Cup, this trade, so far, has not worked.

It's sort of like winning the division.  It's a lot of fun to watch, but without a Cup, it just wasn't enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : I didn't suggest that the B's didn't get the better of the deal.  I said that if the ultimate goal of any team is to win the Cup, this trade, so far, has not worked. It's sort of like winning the division.  It's a lot of fun to watch, but without a Cup, it just wasn't enough.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NOS. Back when that trade happened & Harry was at the wheel. It's no secret that they really didn't want to win the cup. They wanted to compete for it every year. We all know the B's made it quite obvious that they were never going to be willing to break the bank to win. Bringing in Prop & Poulin at the deadline in 90 was probably the only sign that Harry actually was going to try & win with a low cost team. The Neely trade was exactly what the B's wanted & hoped for. A big Irishman, who could hit, fight & score & his game was amazing in the small Boston Garden! The definitive Bruin! He brought attention to fans & was a perfect marketing tool to bring the fans hope with Bourque! That's what JC wanted & HS provided it! So that trade was not a failure! The only thing that was a failure was Neely's career got cut short!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Oh & one more thing. Nobody expected Neely to put up the numbers he did! Not Harry Sinden, Not Jeremy, not Bobby Orr, Not Harry Neale! So to end up with another HOF'r was a a bigger success than any of the Bruin's brass imagined!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : NOS. Back when that trade happened & Harry was at the wheel. It's no secret that they really didn't want to win the cup. They wanted to compete for it every year. We all know the B's made it quite obvious that they were never going to be willing to break the bank to win. Bringing in Prop & Poulin at the deadline in 90 was probably the only sign that Harry actually was going to try & win with a low cost team. The Neely trade was exactly what the B's wanted & hoped for. A big Irishman, who could hit, fight & score & his game was amazing in the small Boston Garden! The definitive Bruin! He brought attention to fans & was a perfect marketing tool to bring the fans hope with Bourque! That's what JC wanted & HS provided it! So that trade was not a failure! The only thing that was a failure was Neely's career got cut short!
    Posted by nitemare-38

I agree that they were focused on making money, but I don't think they didn't want to win the Cup, therefore I stand by my original theory:

Goal:  Win the Cup

Move:  Trade Pederson for 1st round pick and Neely

Result:  No Cup

Ruling:  Failure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

We mock what we don't understand.  If you can't attack the points, attack the pointer.

It's okay if you guys don't understand or if you don't agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

We mock what we don't understand.  If you can't attack the points, attack the pointer. It's okay if you guys don't understand or if you don't agree.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Then you must not understand much, because you mock people in here all the time :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Trades aren't measured by what happens after, they're measured for what the trade involves. O'Connell didn't go out and get Savard and Chara. He made a stupid trade and as a result he rightfully got canned. You can make the point to say the team got better after Thornton left, but to call the trade a success is foolhardy at the absolute best. O'Connell didn't know we could get those players when he made the trade, and we still would have had the cap room for those two after since the Thornton trade wasn't a cap dump, it was an equal cap trade that had no intelligence behind it. No sane person thought that Sturm, Stuart and Primeau were the answers to winning the Cup. 

I'm glad we rebounded quick from that error, and that we're in a great position for years now, but the Thornton trade doesn't earn the credit for it and Mike O'Connell should not be vindicated in anybodies eyes for the career suicide move he made.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : I understand exactly what you are saying and it is a valid point. I have not attacked you or your point. I would assume by your reaction, unless you post otherwise, that it is you that does not agree with my point (and that's okay).
    Posted by GillesGilbert

You are 100% correct.

I do not agree with your point.  It is interesting, however.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins close to acquiring Nathan Horton in a blockbuster deal : I do not personally agree that the signing of Bobby Orr was a failure.  If one excepts the original stated goal and the implied premise that everything that a GM does that does not result in that end goal is a failure then it logically follows (i.e., not a matter of opinion) that the signing of Bobby Orr was a failure. I do not personally agree that the signing of Bobby Orr was a failure because while I accept the truth of the stated goal I do not accept the implied premise. Since you've stated that you also do not think that the signing of Bobby Orr was a failure, may I ask whether it was the stated goal or the premise that you disagree with?
    Posted by GillesGilbert

If bringing in a player results in winning the Cup, the move was a success. 

If there is a season in which they don't win the Cup, the season was a failure.

If all of the seasons in which that player (or future parts of the trade) is on the club result in failure, the trade for or signing of that player ended in failure.

Here's an example:  The Penguins traded for Marian Hossa.  They did not win the Cup.  The trade was a failure.  If Hossa played there for the following 10 years and won seven scoring titles, but the team still didn't win the Cup, the trade would still be a failure.  They didn't trade for Hossa to win scoring titles.  They traded for him to win the Cup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Also take note that you changed the goal to fit your argument, which is a poor and transparent course of action.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

With Neely the Bruins beat the hated Canadiens in the playoffs for the first time in nearly forever. In my book, that makes the trade a success.