Bruins didn't get the MEMO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

The Bruins still don't get it. It's as if Harry Sinden never left. For the younger fans I will say that this is as good as it's going to get until the Bruins read the MEMO. The older B's fans know exactly what I'm saying. Welcome back to mediocrity. I was a Bruins season ticket holder for a few years after they moved into the Fleece Center. I remember the false promises and hopes of bringing in an impact player, only to pay a lot of money to watch an average team. This is the organization that, instead of making a single move to run at a Stanley Cup, let Ray Bourque (Ray Bourque) go to win it somewhere else.The MEMO? It's the one written by Robert Kraft: "How to Win a Championship and be Competitive Every Year." The Red Sox read it. Finally, the Celtics read it. The Bruins? Nope. They just buried it under a mountain of paperwork where it most likely got lost into a recycling bin. Either that, or Harry Sinden and Jeremy Jacobs made sure no one read the memo so they could save a few more bucks.Note, the Bruins have been mostly a mediocre team since they last won a Stanley Cup in, what, 1972? They do enough to get people in the seats, but not enough to win a Cup. They'll slide into the playoffs and get beat. They did it every year while I was growing up, and I'm nearly 40 now. This is Boston! With all of the history behind this team, when will they get it? When will they understand? It's 2008!á Read the MEMO!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

People are going to laugh, and I will probably discredit myself by saying so, but I remember when Gretzky was available at some point and thought, "He would be amazing here." I am a huge marketing guy, and the thought of "99" jerseys all over this town made sense to me. I kept telling people to give the guy a blank check and tell him to be fair and reasonalbe, the rest we'll make up for in ticket sales, merchandising and concessions at the game, How pretty would a Wayne Gretzky, Boston Bruins jersey have been? Almost as pretty as #77.

That being said, the Bruins get rid of every player the fans like, and bring in who? No one. One of the most storied franchises in NHL history and we don't have one tier-one player? We have a few solid players followed by a group of unproven, never-heard-of-you-before guys. The Bruins organization says they are going with youth. Well, we see how well that worked for Danny Aigne and the Celtics before they read the MEMO!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

I think your confusing ownership vs. the people that make the competative team.á Kraft certainly didn't write "the memo" as much as JJ isn't the end-all answer to the Bruins woes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Kraft wrote the MEMO. It all starts with your leadership philosophy.

Jacobs/Sinden collectively smother any chance this organization has of winning a Stanley Cup, unless the players do it by accident.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

...The Bruins organization says they are going with youth. Well, we see how well that worked for Danny Aigne and the Celtics before they read the MEMO!"

Here the GM memo you don't get - Basketball - the only sport besides beach volleyball where you can bring in 2 players and go from worse to best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

...Kraft wrote the MEMO. It all starts with your leadership philosophy."áI thought I posted to this this morning.á The patriots did much better when Kraft stopped writing memos...just remember the days between Parcells and Belichick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I have been so turned off to the sport, not just the Bruins, that I can turn on a game, listen for 5 minutes to the play-by-play before I realize it's the Bruins!á I've never heard of any of these guys. They bring "Z" in here like he's the next coming of Bourque, but he's mainly a really big, solid defenseman. Bourque was like a strong forward who played great defense.I'm sorry. It's been too long since they even had a chance to win a cup, nevermind win won. I think Bruins fans deserve it right now. Youth movement? Rebuilding years? Cow dung! They never should have traded Joe Thornton or let Samsanov go, and they should have built up around that core group. Instead, they cleaned house leaving us with Glen Murray and a cast of average unknowns, and they might slip into the playoffs only to get ousted early. Again. Same old song and dance.Also, Patrice Bergeron is an excellent hockey player, but he is not dominant. His being healthy would only fuel the hopes of even more fans that would inevitably be disappointed when they lose in the first round, if they can even get there.I can't take credit for the name Fleece Center either. Thank God for TD BankNorth. There's no reason why it couldn't have been Fleet Boston Garden. Things have gone down hill from there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

The Celtics brought in three All-Stars (Garnett, Allen and now Cassell). That's 25% of your team to add to Paul Pierce. So, Cassell aside, 1/4 of your team is now tier-1 ballplayers. Are you telling me that if the Bruins would replace 1/4 of their roster with Tier-1 players (five bonafiedáAll-Stars), they wouldn't at least come close to winning a Stanley Cup?á They currently have zero Tier-1 players.Keep in mind, I loved hockey. I am a former Bruin season ticket holder, and I can't watch them anymore. They're boring and average. Ownership and management care about dollars. Are we going to have to wait 86 years to win another Stanley Cup? It's insulting. They'reáthe Boston GD Bruins! Chiarelli needs to get his head out of Sinden's _______ and go get some impact players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Please please your just showing your ignorance for the sport...I thought you said you played or maybe I have you confused with someone else.á I agree Chara is no Bourque, bug 'like having a forward that plays defense'...please.á Keeping Samy why because he was a fan favorite?á Marco Sturm has scored more goals this year than all the goals Samsonov has scored in the last 3 years with 4 other teams...oh and I believe if you look it up Sturm gets paid less than Samsaonov.á [which matters not in hockey].

Granted there has always been a debate about what the Bruins got in return for Thornton but here is an example of where hockey is different than basketball.á Take Thornton and Crosby put them on the same team, does that give you an instant championship, no it would in basketball...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

The Celtics brought in three All-Stars (Garnett, Allen and nowCassell). That's 25% of your team to add to Paul Pierce. So, Cassellaside, 1/4 of your team is now tier-1 ballplayers. Are you telling methat if the Bruins would replace 1/4 of their roster with Tier-1players (five bonafiedáAll-Stars), they wouldn't at least come close towinning a Stanley Cup?á They currently have zero Tier-1 players.This is where you are just being unrealistic.á I agree the Bruins screwed themselves with the resolution to the lockout.á The year prior however they "somewhat" pulled a "Patriots on us" - best record, #1 seed, and layed an egg in the last 3 games against Montreal with a hurt Thornton, etc [maybe they pulled a "Yankees"].á The lockout...owners aren't coming back without sometype of salary structure [read cap]...25% rollback in salaries...Bruins plans are screwed right there.áá You say you don't watch hockey any longer, well get use to the fact that hockey is going to get to be like football.á Your not going to sit down and watch the Bruins of the early 70s or even if you followed Bourque to Colorado...those days are simply gone.áá The best teams are going to be more like the Patriots with few allstars and when a star blossoms, get ready for the exit as the one item the players union did do is negotiate guarenteed contracts [unlike the weaker nfl union]
    Keep in mind, I loved hockey. I am a former Bruin season ticketholder, and I can't watch them anymore. They're boring and average.Ownership and management care about dollars. Are we going to have towait 86 years to win another Stanley Cup? It's insulting. They'reátheBoston GD Bruins! Chiarelli needs to get his head out of Sinden's_______ and go get some impact players.From your responses, I can tell that you don't watch them and I suspect don't follow the game any longer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sergei Samsanov was a true Bruin. He was scrappy and, yes, a fan favorite. He wanted a raise and got exiled. No, he hasn't been the same since, but I would pay to see him play. Marco Sturm? I would not pay to see him play. He's average at best and if traded or released, who would miss him?"Fan favorite" goes a long way in Boston when you're 5' 9" and not afraid to fight, hit andáhustle. Marco Sturm isn't like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I keep tabs enough to know the Bruins areáaverage and the organization won't do what's needed to bring the franchise back to "original six" respectability.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

My point was that the Celtics are following the plan that obviously works in this century. You get top notch players dying for a championship to work along with talented young guys, get them all to buy into a TEAM philosophy, sacrifice and selflessness, and you have a shot.Tell me, who do the Bruins have that are quality, veteranáplayers dying for a championship? What leadership do they have? I mean who is the captain of this bunch, Chara? Do you see where the problems are?When the Patriots refused to go out onto the field as individual players in the Super Bowl years ago, and insisted on being introduced as a team, that's when the change occurred. In this day and age, you sacrifice yourself, your stats, your playing time, or whatever, for the team. You keep everything in-house. You find any means needed to motivate yourself as a team. To win and lose as a team. It's not a new concept, but it's hard to do nowadays and the Bruins could do it, they just won't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

PS ~ What were you saying about the coach's decision to start Alex Auld?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

PPS ~ Alex Auld has a winning record of 8-6, 2.66 GAAáand a save percentage over .90 with the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Read 'core group' that included Thornton and Samsanov. They got rid of anyone that could score. Once again, please forgive me for being frustrated, but I've been a fan since 1974. If theábest the Boston Bruins can cart out there for me in 2008 is Savard, Sturm, Kobasew and Chara,áwe have serious issues here. Bergeron wouldn't make a difference.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Can we get clear here? We're talking about the Boston Bruins. The storied and historic franchise that hasn't been in the neighborhood of a Stanley Cup since 1990, with the exception of Ray Bourque brining Colorado's Cup to Boston for us to drool over.

They aren't doing enough. They aren't dedicated to winning a Stanley Cup because they are about making money. It's only a business to them. Jacobs makes his money. That's all that matters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Joe was, and still is, one of the top two or three passers in the league. If the Bruins went out and got him a sniper to pass to, imagine what he could have done. Wouldn't it be somewhat comparable to Brady/Moss? Gee, give Brady a top notch receiver and compliment him with other decent receivers and all of a sudden... 50 TD, and Moss breaks the record for TD in a season.

BTW, Sergei Samsanov has 11 goals and 12 assists in 26 games with Carolina this year. It's amazing what good health and the right situation will do for a guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I'm just happy to find a place to finally vent my frustration.

More on Sergei... Carolina loves him! Free agent come July 1. He may get hurt and/or his scoring may taper off, but we certainly liked him around here before he got shipped out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

samsonov has never even scored 30 goals in a season, does't get assists, doesn't play d and gets hurt alot. He was exciting early in his career but his highest season pt total is 75 and that was 8 years ago. Career Statistics YEARTEAMGPGAPTS+/-PIMSOGSPCTPPGPPASHGSHAGWGGTGATOIPROD1997-1998BOS812225479815913.8780030----1998-1999BOS79252651-61816015.66100081----1999-2000BOS77192645-6414513.1680030----2000-2001BOS8229467561821513.53150132----2001-2002BOS74294170212719215.13120040----2002-2003BOS85611822321.711003020:2014:472003-2004BOS5817234012413212.9313005117:2725:182005-2006BOS55181937-32210716.8610001016:5325:05àEDM1951116063613.946000015:2618:192006-2007MON6391726-4101147.904000013:5933:522007-2008CHI23044-76380.001000012:2171:00àCAR26111223985022.021002017:3519:52

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

Sergei Samsanov was a true Bruin. He was scrappy and, yes, a fanfavorite. He wanted a raise and got exiled. No, he hasn't been the samesince, but I would pay to see him play. Marco Sturm? I would not pay tosee him play. He's average at best and if traded or released, who wouldmiss him?...

Wait a minute, maybe your older than I think and going senile. :-)

áAre you thinking of PJ Stocks, I watched almost every game Sergei every played as a Bruin and I would never classify him a scrappy....wanted a raise and got exile?á I bet you feel that way about Carter, Allison, Gueriná [actually the last is one of my favorite players].á All did not warrent the $$ and none actually panned out when they left and were 'problems' for their receiving teams...they either didn't produce or they had a salary that they couldn't handle.á Sturm is not a first tier player [your term], but certainly is above average and in the same league as that group.á

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

...think maybe my perception of time has been distortedby the years of frustration, I didn't think anyone under 40 wouldremember a Bruins team that was considered a contender.I just hope these guys atáProvidence are for real ,but I am still skeptical about whether the team will "build" aroundthese players or discard them when the opportunity arises. Thornton ,Samsonov, Axelsson, Gill , Knuble and Rolston were all young guys wholooked to be a team we could build around. Add to that the two younggoalies on the way , Toivonon and Raycroft and things were lookinggood. Who's left from that crop? Axelsson.á That rebuilding phasefizzled out faster than you can say " Mike O'Connell"...First I can tell from your responses you do know something about the sport.á Please re-read your posting.á I agree on the core players mentioned [minus Gill...average at best and probably even 3rd pairing on this team].á All you have to be is under the age of 10 to remember a contending team [assuming a 6 year old can remember]...This core group did finish with the best record, got the financial backing bringing in Gonchar and Nylander and had Bergeron to take into the playoffs...they were the #1 seed.áá I know what happened in the playoffs, but the certainly were considered a contender.From participating here for the last week or so I guess most tuned out to hockey from 2004 on or they tuned out long before since I don't think they understand the impact of the agreements from the lockout and why knuble and rolston aren't here [the other players on that list remained in 2005]á Nylander and Gonchar were also gone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

RE: Sammy,

why don't you give the complete stats for the year, or last year or the last 3...á If you are going to quote that stats please be complete.áá I liked him as a player in Boston, but his razzle dazzle didn't help him too much once players found they should just knock him off the puck.á With the newer rules, larger offensive zone, etc I thought it would see an increase in production.á Anyways he is off to a good start with the latest change of scenary.á If the Bruins get the 6th seed will see a lot of him in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

realists, noone has said they will make the finals.

And lemmings...I think that wouldn't apply to a bruins fan in this discussion group.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scullerjay. Show scullerjay's posts

"The only thing more frustrating than being a B's fan would be being aLeafs fan...."

Say that to someone from Chicago...