BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina)

From today's Edmonton Journal:

Chances are Carolina Hurricanes UFA Ray Whitney will end up with the Boston Bruins as a trade-deadline deal for a second-round draft pick. The offensively-challenged Bruins will perhaps ask Mark Recchi what he thought of Whitney from the Canes' 2006 Cup run. If not Boston, then Philadelphia may be a possible destination, as former Hurricanes bench boss Peter Laviolette is currently head coach there

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michwolverine. Show michwolverine's posts

Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina)

When is the parade?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina):
    [QUOTE]From today's Edmonton Journal: Chances are Carolina Hurricanes UFA Ray Whitney will end up with the Boston Bruins as a trade-deadline deal for a second-round draft pick. The offensively-challenged Bruins will perhaps ask Mark Recchi what he thought of Whitney from the Canes' 2006 Cup run. If not Boston , then Philadelphia may be a possible destination, as former Hurricanes bench boss Peter Laviolette is currently head coach there
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]

Most excellent....Ray Whitney is a crafty quick forward who can do the job.  What are his stats?  If we can get him for a second pick, DO IT.   NOW!!  Why wait until the trade deadline?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

A trade-deadline deal? Heck, anything could happen between now and then. This isn't news...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I'd take Eli Whitney at this point -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I mentioned Whitney in one of my posts about a couple of weeks ago as possible targets for the B's that would not cost a lot.. he sure would help the PP.. and can jump in to the 1st or second line winger... The guy I would like would be Bobby Ryan who I have been preaching for a long while, but he would cost a bit, but not as much as say, Kovalchuk..  Whitney is a good start..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

I guess PC will wait for Lucic to get back, and then sometime in Mid-Jan he will pull the trigger on something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

In Response to Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina):
    [QUOTE]I'd take Eli Whitney at this point -
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    Good one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I would do the Ray Whitney deal in an instant. I think it'd be a good short term solution to the need for a scoring winger. Would ideally like to see something happen before the trade deadline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Hey! This was my idea a month ago :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Personally, "rent a wreck" is not akin to getting a legitimate scorer.  Save the 1st round pick if it comes to that decision.  Some players on the team have to rediscover their scoring touch.  If the Bruins make a trade, the target should be an impact player otherwise maintain the status quo.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Ray is WAY TOO OLD..he must be close to 40! I would do it for a 5th round pick at best!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

At the trade deadline Ray Whitney would not go for less than a 2nd round pick. He is still a legitimate 1st/2nd line scoring threat on any national hockey league team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Ray Whitney will be 38 by the time the season is finished. He's got 10 goals and 14 assists on the worst team in the NHL. Admittedly he doesn't have many years left in him but giving Carolina a 2nd round pick doesn't seem that big a stretch to me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458537

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]Ray Whitney will be 38 by the time the season is finished. He's got 10 goals and 14 assists on the worst team in the NHL. Admittedly he doesn't have many years left in him but giving Carolina a 2nd round pick doesn't seem that big a stretch to me. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458537
    Posted by Kurako[/QUOTE]

24 goals and 77 pts with Carolina last year, not bad.  Shoots right.  Also notice that in his early years in the WHA he scored 80 goals one year, then 77.  That's right 80 goals, not points.  He has a touch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

You cannot not discount Whitney's scoring and point production. Yet even a second round pick is not worth a "rent a wreck".  Why do the Bruins need another older guy who has had a great career yet stands 5-10 and weighs 180 pounds.  I think we have a few of those. If you are going to use a second round pick then grab Keith Tkachuk, he shoots left but he is big enough around the net to get the goals. He is a leader type as well.  David Perron is the better one to pick on the Blues. He shoots right and is 21 years of age.  Hot stove hockey trade talking.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

If it was 5 years ago I would WOW !  No thanks,  he's not the solution to the Bruins problems. 
    If they get him and another legitimate goal scorer then it's good otherwise it'll be same ol' ........

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

ok do it but still would need another scorer i dont think he will cut it i would trade whitney and tuomo ruutu 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

No way Whitney for a 2nd....too much for another aging smallish player...Keep the picks and go for youth....whats the matter with giving Carl Soderburg a go ...this guy was projected as a sniper...Whatever, I say ride out this year and see what develops...the Bruins will make the playoffs at any rate so whats the panic!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Last time PC made a trade for some scoring he gave up Kris Versteeg for Brian Bochenski..... wouldn't you love to have Versteeg now.

A second round pick for Ray Whitney (38-years-old) - are you nuts?

Let's not go down that road again. Leave things as they are. Most times it's best to do nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]At the trade deadline Ray Whitney would not go for less than a 2nd round pick. He is still a legitimate 1st/2nd line scoring threat on any national hockey league team.
    Posted by dhitch[/QUOTE]

No. He absolutely isn't. This isn't 2006.

Good depth guy, but if he's on one of your top 2 lines in 2010, you're not a threat to win the Cup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]No way Whitney for a 2nd....too much for another aging smallish player...Keep the picks and go for youth....whats the matter with giving Carl Soderburg a go ...this guy was projected as a sniper...Whatever, I say ride out this year and see what develops...the Bruins will make the playoffs at any rate so whats the panic!!
    Posted by saultont[/QUOTE]

Sodenberg doesn't seem to want to play in the NHL at his point. 
    First didn't want to sign an entry contract to play in the AHL , wants a oneway contract and now I think he's waiting out as the Bruins will not own his rights anymore this summer .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina) : Sodenberg doesn't seem to want to play in the NHL at his point.  First didn't want to sign an entry contract to play in the AHL , wants a oneway contract and now I think he's waiting out as the Bruins will not own his rights anymore this summer .
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that Soderberg wants to leave Sweden, period. 

Check out his high light videos on youtube.  First, I'm not all that impressed by what  I've seen, but second and most importantly the high lights are not from the first division in Sweden, but the elite league (the league below that).  He looks like one of those guys that showed a lot of promise, but then fades from existence before you know it. 

But I have to confess, I don't really know because somebody on this board said 'trust me, this guys has the skills to play on the first line on any NHL team.'  Surely not by what I saw on youtube, they look like pretty average goals to me.

I have heard Soderberg is a really intelligent guy, he could be earning good money in some white collar job.  So I'm thinking maybe he wants to stay in Sweden, get home cooking and not risk getting your sternum broken in the NHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BRUINS INTERESTED IN RAY WHITNEY (Carolina) : I don't believe that Soderberg wants to leave Sweden, period.  Check out his high light videos on youtube.  First, I'm not all that impressed by what  I've seen, but second and most importantly the high lights are not from the first division in Sweden, but the elite league (the league below that).  He looks like one of those guys that showed a lot of promise, but then fades from existence before you know it.  But I have to confess, I don't really know because somebody on this board said 'trust me, this guys has the skills to play on the first line on any NHL team.'  Surely not by what I saw on youtube, they look like pretty average goals to me. I have heard Soderberg is a really intelligent guy, he could be earning good money in some white collar job.  So I'm thinking maybe he wants to stay in Sweden, get home cooking and not risk getting your sternum broken in the NHL.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I have been to Sweden many times for long stays, Soderberg does not want the culture change.  He is smart but so is Colburne (wealthy with ambition to play hockey).  Soderberg is just not cut out for the hockey culture in North America period.  The trade was a wash with St. Louis at this point.  Right now the Bruins have three second line centermen, mostly third line wingers, and our defense is fine but small.  Our goaltenders are solid.  Maybe Ryder and Strum can find a semblance of their old selfs.  The next month will be a telling one as for where this team is going.  Whitney is not the answer... Kovalchuk is not going to give Boston a hometown discount either.  The next twenty games will be telling!