Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important

Chowdah-, Chara's not there because all of the others have some element of risk involved, so it's more important that they avoid the pitfalls.  Chara, I'm not really worried about because the variables in his game aren't high-risk - he's not losing any reach or size, so even if he loses a step on his skating, he won't fall off the map.  Even last year, when he didn't have a great year, his point total didn't drop dramatically.  On the other hand, yeah, if he plays like he wants another Norris the way Stanley wants to adopt Wheeler, he makes everyone on the team better.  But I don't think it's essential that he plays like Superman for this team to do well - it's not as important that he be Superman instead of Zdeno as it is for the guys on my list to meet their goals. 

Just to be clear, I mean this as a compliment to Chara - he's consistent and he's good, so the impact of him hitting on all cylinders, while great, isn't a huge change over his impact on games as a shutdown D who can play a bit at the other end of the ice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important:
    Chowdah-, Chara's not there because all of the others have some element of risk involved, so it's more important that they avoid the pitfalls.  Chara, I'm not really worried about because the variables in his game aren't high-risk - he's not losing any reach or size, so even if he loses a step on his skating, he won't fall off the map.  Even last year, when he didn't have a great year, his point total didn't drop dramatically.  On the other hand, yeah, if he plays like he wants another Norris the way Stanley wants to adopt Wheeler, he makes everyone on the team better.  But I don't think it's essential that he plays like Superman for this team to do well - it's not as important that he be Superman instead of Zdeno as it is for the guys on my list to meet their goals.  Just to be clear, I mean this as a compliment to Chara - he's consistent and he's good, so the impact of him hitting on all cylinders, while great, isn't a huge change over his impact on games as a shutdown D who can play a bit at the other end of the ice.
    Posted by Bookboy007

An interesting interpretation of the original question, pretty much the opposite of the way I looked at it. To me, the question is basically: Who can the Bruins least afford to do without? Not, who do they need to step up and play at his absolute peak? It certainly provides a different way to look at it.

As for Chara, I always look at fans' reaction to him as a barometer on how well they understand the nuances of hockey. It's easy to watch someone like Ovechkin and recognize him as a great player - he's flashy and exciting and scores a ton of goals. It's a lot more difficult to understand that Chara is a superstar as well. But all you have to do is listen to what other NHL players say about facing him. He terrifies people. It's great. ;-) (And seriously, if you see the guy in person, you'll understand. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to face him on the ice.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

mine based on most important and skilled

1. Tuukka Rask
     Zdeno Chara
    3.Patrice Bergeron
    4. Milan Lucic
    5. Marc Savard
    6. David Krejci
    7. Nathan Horton
    8. Dennis Seidenberg
    9. John Boychuk
    10.  Marc 
    Stuart

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Today                  Future Bergeron              Seguin Rask                   Colborne Horton                Caron Lucic                  Marchand                Krejci                  McQuaid Savard                 Alexandrov Siedenberg           Suave Boychuk               Lovecchio Stuart                 Penner Chara                  Rechhi( coach/palyers development) Most important office:  Cam Neely
    Posted by Canbostondoit

I'd put Ryan Button in there instead of Penner.  Penner's good, but he'll amount to not much more than a nice 4-6 defenseman.  Button looks like he could become the puck moving D-man the team has always coveted since Bourque left.  Have you seen him at development camp?  If not, have you read the reports on him from camp?  They keep saying how smart the kid is with the puck.  I saw him at camp and the kid is a great passer, has great hockey IQ, great skater, and he knows when he should or shouldn't jump up on the play.  Future first line out on the ice:

Jared Knight - Tyler Seguin - Jordan Caron
    Ryan Button - Matt Bartkowski
    Tuukka Rask

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

1. Chara....Taking care of your own end is underrated. Not many better in the league than him at doing this.

2. Rask/Thomas.....I put them together because I feel you need solid goaltending no matter who is in net. Good goaltending can keep you in games when you're not scoring.

3. Krecji.......He is the B's best offensive player IMO.

4. Bergeron......His two way game makes him one solid player. I love how he does all the little things right.

5. Horton......The B's need goals. This is the guy who has to help with that.

6. Lucic........Just play a physical game. If he's healthy and does this he can be intimidating to play against.

7. Savard......If he stays the PP is where he will be most valuable to this team.

8. Seidenberg.......Important for the B's #2 defenseman to have a good year.

9. Boychuk....... Any sign of regression in his play will hurt the team as he is being relied upon for important minutes.

10. Wheeler....... Any kind of improvement in his play would be a big boost to the team's offense.

Finally I think Seguin deserves to be on this list . I left him out because he has't played a minute in the NHL and I had no idea where I could rate him relative to what others have done in the league and his importance.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I went the direction I went because "who can they least afford to do without" always has threads attached to it.  Why are they gone?  If it's injury, then I like the concept of value over replacement player.  It's trickier to do with hockey than most sports, though, because you have two or three guys (not counting the fourth line) who play the same position and have the same basic job, and they're generally stacked and allocated playing time from 'best' to 'good but not best'.  That means to "evaluate" VORP in hockey, you have to do some funny math.

Vorp for your 1st line centre is the % drop in impact C1-- />C2 + %drop C2-->C3 + %drop C3-->C4 + %drop C4-->C5(AHLer).  (You might even get a more accurate sense by making this F1 for forwards - Crosby's Vorp wouldn't look as daunting if the drop was to Malkin and then Staal.) So you have to add up that cascading impact on your lineup of having your second line centre play first line minutes and everyone else moving up to fill the vacuum.  For the Bruins, the drop from Savard to Krejci might be minimal; Krejci to Bergeron is basically a wash; Bergeron to Cambell?  Huge.  Cambell to, say, Hamill?  Also huge.  So the bottom half of your lineup loses considerable scoring punch and chemistry even though you might be okay with the changes at the top.

The Vorp would really show up when you had a star player playing in front of a bunch of scrubs - Kovalchuk and Nobody on the RW in Atlanta, Brodeur and a cardboard cut-out in NJ, Iginla and Nobody on RW in Calgary.  Chara would be pretty high on this list - the Bruins have no ready replacement for what he does.  Depending on how you feel about Tim Thomas, though, this might keep Rask off the list - that would also depend on how you feel about a Schaefer putting on a Bruins uniform ten or fifteen times this year.

The other option is that these players go elsewhere by trade or FA.  If that's the case, it's hard not to include the return or replacement you use the money to sign.  Then the number of contingencies involved goes berserk.  If the Bruins let Ryder go on waivers (just say) and then spend his money on Frolov, it would look like an upgrade, so Ryder's importance should be expressed in negative numbers.  If you trade Chara, it's unlikely that the combined impact of the assets you get in return will add up to anything like what he brings to the ice.  Then again, you never know.  Maybe John Davidson drunk dials Chiarelli and offers Perron and Eric Johnson.  Personally, I find it too difficult to consider this question in this fashion given all of the things that could happen.  I never thought they'd get players and a second round pick for Kobasew, but it happened.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowdah-, Chara's not there because all of the others have some element of risk involved, so it's more important that they avoid the pitfalls.  Chara, I'm not really worried about because the variables in his game aren't high-risk - he's not losing any reach or size, so even if he loses a step on his skating, he won't fall off the map.  Even last year, when he didn't have a great year, his point total didn't drop dramatically.  On the other hand, yeah, if he plays like he wants another Norris the way Stanley wants to adopt Wheeler, he makes everyone on the team better.  But I don't think it's essential that he plays like Superman for this team to do well - it's not as important that he be Superman instead of Zdeno as it is for the guys on my list to meet their goals.  Just to be clear, I mean this as a compliment to Chara - he's consistent and he's good, so the impact of him hitting on all cylinders, while great, isn't a huge change over his impact on games as a shutdown D who can play a bit at the other end of the ice.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I agree with duinne . Interesting point of view of how you are interpreting the question. If you are looking at it that way I agree with your comments on Chara being the least to worry about .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Another slightly different take on "most important":
    If the Bruins were to call a press conference to announce that, due to an unusual accident involving a flight of stairs and a banana peel, one player would miss the whole season.  Who would you be praying/crossing fingers/whatever your belief system supports for to not be named? (and only for the effects on this season).
    My list:

#1  Chara.  Without him, this team has no answer for high-end forwards.  Sure, the 'system' can slow them down, but Chara is the lynch-pin of that system.

#2  Horton.  Two years ago, we saw what the offense could do with an effective scoring winger.  Last year we saw what would happen without one.  Which offense do you prefer?  That's what I thought.  And we wouldn't even be able to blame Wideman for the teams problems anymore - unless he ate the banana.

#3  Rask/Thomas.  They will (hopefully) push one another, and loosing one for the whole season may mean digging Manny Fernandez's number out of the trash if the other gets in a funk or has a minor injury.

#5  Savard.  Last year, more often than not he was the only player on the team that cause they other team to immediately react.  You could sense the defenders' nervousness.  I should need to comment on the power play numbers.

#6  Seguin.  All the excitement, all the hype, and he's out.  What a buzz-kill that would be.

#7  Seidenberg.  Parrot voice: "He's expected to pick up the bulk of the lost offense from the blueline due to the departure of Wideman."

#8  Krejčí.  If he picks up where he left off, he'll have other teams reacting to him as they do Savard.

#9  Bergeron.  Wins faceoffs, is a key on the penalty kill and can be on the point for power plays.  A loss of a single thing he does is not too hard for the team to absorb, but he makes a lot of holes when he is forced to sit.  No single alternate player can fill them all at near his level.

#10  Ference.  Yes, seriously.  Effective guy that seems to help the team win without doing anything obvious.  Without him we are looking at a bottom pairing of Hunwick-McQuaid.  Yikes.  (In this case, substitute "slips on a banana peel" with "bitten by oil covered pelican")

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Most important - is an incredibly ambiguous way to rank, it means that you are going to rank by the most mins played, or even by position or else you would be playing them more?

1. Tenders TT/Rask
    2. D-#1 Z
    3. D-#2 Seid
    4. O-Sav top line and PP and PK
    5. 0-Hort top line and pp- PK ??
    6. O-D Berg check line PP PK
    7. O-Krej 3rd line + PP + PK
    8. D-#3 Boyc from playoffs, but will it be Stuart or Ference
    9. Luc top line, need to score
    10. Ryder needs to be your top 6 he is paid as such.

How I rank them is, who is more valuable and who do I want to see on the ice, in order

1. Z - Captain my Captain
    2. Berg- Team leader 2 of last 5 years Most heart on team.
    3. Sav - Team leader 3 of last 5 years
    4. Krej - Tied for team lead last year and 2nd year before
    5. Hort - Required to score
    6. Seid - need to be top #2
    7.Luc - To be the Power Forward
    8. Ryder - Rounds out top 6 (4th 2 years ago and 6th forward last year)
    9. Seguin -Needs to become the leader and needs playtime to become that leader
    10. Wheeler - All the potential in the world, is a top 6 scorer both years here & needs to stay there

Honourable mention
    Tenders - this debate is not finished, Rask is not there yet,TT needs to rebound.

Recchi needs to be great mentor and strong player, he needs to relenquish PP time to someone else but they need to produce.

Boych be the player he was in playoffs.

Stuart be the player before injuries.

Ference play uninjured for a complete year.

4th line, bring in youth with Pail, lose Thorn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Seguin will get lots of playing time back in the OHL and leading Team Canada to a World Junior Gold Medal in 2010...

Rushing Seguin's development is not a good idea...

He should not be on any one's top ten for next season...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

1. Tuukka - IMHO goalie is always the most important position and can win games almost single handedly. If skaters have a bad night your goalie can save you, if you goalie has a bad night, you lose. Tuukka had a fantastic rookie year as planned, he put up fantastic stats, is technically sound and has a great mental toughness also and he will only get better.

2. Chara - When Chara is healthy he is the last Dman a forward wants to see ahead of him (skrew u pronger), big and nasty as they come. He has a big ol bucket of intangables and wears the C for a reason.

3. Savard - I might be putting him up here alittle early but I do NOT want to see Savy traded. He is our 1st line center and makes or breaks (when is is out) our PP. Is being solid al the way down the middle a bad problem?? Right up there with having 2 great goalies, not a bad thing.

Tie for 4. Krejci/Bergy - Tons of skill, can do it all and have a their best years ahead.

6. Seguin - Even though he has not officially made the team, he already has been tagged a franchise C. No pressure!!!

7. Horton - Tons of skill! Obviously was brought here to be our leading goal getter. Hopefully his character question will die out with this change of scenery,ala Corey Dillon. I might even be a bit low on this one...

8. Lucic - Had a tough year last year due to injury but we all know what Looch can bring to the table. He just needs some healthy consistency and needs to earn his big paycheck. If he doesn't we'll be reading a zillion posts about it.

9. Boychuck - Has shown losts of good signs he can really be a gamer. Huge shots huge hits plays with a real passion. Heck he even showed patientce sitting out 25ish games while watching Wideman dish picture perfect passes to the other team.

10. Wheeler - I kind of struggled on this one but Bob has got lots of potential. He just needs to be an impact player. When the going gets tough Bob dissapears. Sorry Stanley... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Here's the list that matters :

1. Rask
    2. Thomas
    3. Chara
    4. Bergeron
    5. Krejci
    6. Ryder
    7. Lucic
    8. Wheeler
    9. Seidenberg
    10. Boychuk

Savard is still in my doghouse, but he would be #11.  If he behaves as a team player and keeps his yap shut more often, he might crack my top ten...

While Seguin will obviously be a top three on that list one day, Seguin should go back to the OHL next season to lead a team to a Gold Medal in the WJC...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Seguin will get lots of playing time back in the OHL and leading Team Canada to a World Junior Gold Medal in 2010... Rushing Seguin's development is not a good idea... He should not be on any one's top ten for next season...
    Posted by RMiller87

I think you're just making a lot of outrageous statements to get people riled up.

Either that, or you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Rushing Seguin's development??

Seguin's development would be hurt by putting him back in the OHL, he was arguably the best player in the league and to say that he was one of the 2 best players in the league is NOT debateable.  To say that he was one of the best 2 players drafted is NOT debateable, and arguably he was the best player in the draft.

If Seguin isn't ready to play in the NHL, than no one else in the entire 2010 draft is ready, either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important : I think you're just making a lot of outrageous statements to get people riled up. Either that, or you have no idea of what you are talking about. Rushing Seguin's development?? Seguin's development would be hurt by putting him back in the OHL, he was arguably the best player in the league and to say that he was one of the 2 best players in the league is NOT debateable.  To say that he was one of the best 2 players drafted is NOT debateable, and arguably he was the best player in the draft. If Seguin isn't ready to play in the NHL, than no one else in the entire 2010 draft is ready, either.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Outrageous statements ?

Seguin's development as a player would be better served going back to the OHL and leading a team to a World Junior Championship next season instead of underperforming as a winger or as the Bruins' third or fourth line Center...

How is that an outrageous statement ? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important : Outrageous statements ? Seguin's development as a player would be better served going back to the OHL and leading a team to a World Junior Championship next season instead of underperforming as a winger or as the Bruins' third or fourth line Center... How is that an outrageous statement ? 
    Posted by RMiller87

And you base this analysis on... what, exactly?

How much have you watched Seguin play? I'm curious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

It's certainly not intended as a knock on Seguin's play.

It's simply because Seguin will gain a much valuable experience in LEADING a team to a World Junior Championship like Bergeron previously did both in 2004 and 2005 than playing a secondary role in a position that he is unfamiliar with while facing possibly unrealistic fan expectations. 

Marchand also won back-to-back WJC Gold Medals in 2007 and 2008.

I suspect that we'll see Seguin for a few games with the big club next season, but he'll be back with the OHL for most of the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Maybe, Seguin will also be called up in the NHL playoffs next season if it looks like he is needed on the Black and Gold...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

It's certainly not intended as a knock on Seguin's play. It's simply because Seguin will gain a much valuable experience in LEADING a team to a World Junior Championship like Bergeron previously did both in 2004 and 2005 than playing a secondary role in a position that he is unfamiliar with while facing possibly unrealistic fan expectations.  Marchand also won back-to-back WJC Gold Medals in 2007 and 2008. I suspect that we'll see Seguin for a few games with the big club next season, but he'll be back with the OHL for most of the season.
    Posted by RMiller87

Seguin doesn't have to go back to his junior team to play in the WJC. Bergeron played in the 2005 WJC after playing two years as a professional ('03-'04 in Boston; '04-'05 in Providence, the lockout year).

And for the record, Bergeron didn't play in the World Juniors in '04; he played in the World Seniors that year. He played in the World Juniors in '05.

Anyway, what's that got to do with whether he's going to be in the Bruins lineup? If he's talented enough to play in Boston - which he is - he'll be there. You didn't supply any rationale for him NOT being there, no flaw in his game that you've discerned (I'm assuming you haven't seen him play). He's a big kid, a good skater, intelligent, mature, and a LOT more ready that Phil Kessel was at that stage.

Vague notions of him learning leadership at the WJC are the last thing the Bruins are going to consider this fall. If he's got it in him, he'll learn to be a leader no matter where he is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There was a time when RMiller's logic worked.  Most 2nd overall picks play in the NHL these days.  The most recent exception, van Riemsdyk, belonged back in college where he wasn't yet a dominant force.  He's dogged by questions about his intensity.  So - sending Seguin back to the O would be rare enough to suggest he's sufficiently flawed that you can't work him in slowly and correct it.  Once he's in the O, he's there until his year is over unless there's an emergency.

GOAT's been on this wagon for a while re: getting him real playing time.  That's key, and that's really the trick for a team like the Bruins that has had some playoff success recently unlike Edmonton or Tampa Bay.  The only way you decide to send him back to the O is if you honestly feel he can't play 12-15 min. a night with Bergeron or Krejci right from go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I believe that Bergeron was only eligible to be Crosby's linemate in the 2005 World Junior Championships because he was not participating in the NHL due to the lockout that season and he still fit the age requirements of the IIHF...

I'm also pretty sure that to be eligible for the World Junior Championship this season, Seguin has to be playing Junior hockey (not in the NHL) which he likely will be when the WJC rolls around in December...

I've seen the kid play...

He's a very talented Center...

He'll make a fine Captain for the Team Canada World Junior team...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

There was a time when RMiller's logic worked.  Most 2nd overall picks play in the NHL these days.  The most recent exception, van Riemsdyk, belonged back in college where he wasn't yet a dominant force.  He's dogged by questions about his intensity.  So - sending Seguin back to the O would be rare enough to suggest he's sufficiently flawed that you can't work him in slowly and correct it.  Once he's in the O, he's there until his year is over unless there's an emergency. GOAT's been on this wagon for a while re: getting him real playing time.  That's key, and that's really the trick for a team like the Bruins that has had some playoff success recently unlike Edmonton or Tampa Bay.  The only way you decide to send him back to the O is if you honestly feel he can't play 12-15 min. a night with Bergeron or Krejci right from go.
    Posted by Bookboy007

True, I wouldn't keep him around if he's playing fourth-line minutes. But he won't be. Put him on a line with Krejci and watch him go.

There was one moment during development camp - they were scrimmaging five on five, and the opposing team was rushing past the red line, when Seguin started to go after the puck carrier, turned his head quickly, and realized that his opposing number was heading for the net. He turned on a dime, picked up his man, and rode him out of the slot, neutralizing the attack. Just a tiny moment, but all I could think was, this kid will not have to be taught how to play both ends of the ice. He's 18 years old and he gets it already.

Sure, he'll have games when he'll struggle and feel overmatched. But all in all, he's the real deal. I don't expect him to win a scoring title off the bat, but he will contribute, no doubt about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I believe that Bergeron was only eligible to be Crosby's linemate in the 2005 World Junior Championships because he was not participating in the NHL due to the lockout that season and he still fit the age requirements of the IIHF... I'm also pretty sure that to be eligible for the World Junior Championship this season, Seguin has to be playing Junior hockey (not in the NHL) which he likely will be when the WJC rolls around in December... I've seen the kid play... He's a very talented Center... He'll make a fine Captain for the Team Canada World Junior team...
    Posted by RMiller87

The only requirements for the world hockey championships are age (for the under-20, under-18 etc. teams) and citizenship. Since 1977, whether you are a pro or an amateur is irrelevant.  

The point is moot, at any rate. To put it bluntly, the Bruins don't give a **** about Seguin being a captain at the WJC. Unless he gets lost somewhere in the wilds of Ontario on a camping trip this summer, he'll be in Boston this fall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

There was a time when RMiller's logic worked.  Most 2nd overall picks play in the NHL these days.  The most recent exception, van Riemsdyk, belonged back in college where he wasn't yet a dominant force.  He's dogged by questions about his intensity.  So - sending Seguin back to the O would be rare enough to suggest he's sufficiently flawed that you can't work him in slowly and correct it.  Once he's in the O, he's there until his year is over unless there's an emergency. GOAT's been on this wagon for a while re: getting him real playing time.  That's key, and that's really the trick for a team like the Bruins that has had some playoff success recently unlike Edmonton or Tampa Bay.  The only way you decide to send him back to the O is if you honestly feel he can't play 12-15 min. a night with Bergeron or Krejci right from go.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I think that you need to examine that statement again...

Most #2 draft picks have the opportunity to play for a World Junior Championship...

Victor Hedman was drafted #2 overall in 2009 and he played in the 2009 World Junior Championship...

This is not a point that I am willing to compromise on...

You better get ready for a battle...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Let's look at the history of the #2 picks, shall we...

2009 - Victor Hedman --> World Junior Championship 2009
    2008 - Drew Doughty --> World Junior Championship 2008
    2007 - James van Riemsdyk --> World Junior Championship 2007

Do I need to continue ?

Why rush this kid's development playing a position that is unnatural to him anyways ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins players ranking from 1 to 10 (most important : I think that you need to examine that statement again... Most #2 draft picks have the opportunity to play for a World Junior Championship... Victor Hedman was drafted #2 overall in 2009 and he played in the 2009 World Junior Championship... This is not a point that I am willing to compromise on... You better get ready for a battle...
    Posted by RMiller87

LOL. If you're going to start marching around TD Garden with a sign saying "Send Seguin back to Juniors!" I'm afraid you're going to be one lonely protester.