Bruins ticket price increases

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

Bruins ticket price increases

Have you seen the Bruins individual game ticket prices for the coming year? They are unbelievable. Bruins ticket price increases over the last two years have been unconscionable.

In two years, ticket prices for games against better teams increased by an average of 95 percent (see my table at http://pubpages.unh.edu/~gumprech/Bruins.pdf). The inflation rate for the nation during the same period was 4 percent. Have the Bruins heard that the country is in the midst of a recession? Even the Red Sox froze ticket prices this year.

Ironically, the percentage increases were highest for the lowest price tickets. Apparently, the Bruins think the fans who can least afford it should suffer the most! Ticket prices in the lowest price category have increased an astronomical 285 percent in two years. It now costs $37.50 to sit in the cheapest seats -- far more expensive than the Red Sox cheapest seats and nearly four times as much as the same seats cost two seasons ago.

Is this what happens when the team makes the playoffs and wins a single round? What will happen if they win the Stanley Cup -- $300 for row 15 in the balcony?!? Can someone please explain to me why it is cheaper to go to a Celtics game than a Bruins game? The Celtics still had $10 seats last year (they haven't announced this year's prices) and they were the defending NBA champions.

The Bruins are in the process of doing what the Red Sox did years ago -- making it too expensive for normal fans to attend games. I don't go to Red Sox games any longer. It isn't worth it. If the Bruins continue to raise ticket prices at such an exorbitant rate, I will stop attending Bruins games as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: Bruins ticket price increases

I prefer to watch the games on tv.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I am slightly puzzled by your numbers.  The Bruins press release lists their cheapest seats as $10.  I'm assuming that should be the cheapest seats for (e.g.) a Tuesday game against the Thrashers, which I thought is what is meant by the "Regular" column in your chart.  Please correct me if I am wrong, and elaborate what the Regular and Gold columns refer to for those of us who have not gone through the ticket-buying process.

If you have the patience (or lack of sanity) neeeded, a better gauge of price inflation would be to calculate the value of a total season sell-out for each season.  You would have to treat the Winter Classic as a normally priced game to keep it consistent.  I'm sure there will still be an increase that outpaces inflation, but probably not the 95% you zero in on as a key stat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

Since last year, the Bruins have a two-tiered price structure -- gold games (better opponents, weekend games), regular games.

The Bruins promote a lowest price ticket of $10, but that's only for kids 14 and under in the family section and those tickets are $20 for gold games.

The issue here is how much it costs to attend a game, not the total revenue the Bruins produce. Two years ago, I could buy four tickets in the cheapest price range for $40. Now the same $40 will buy me one ticket.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins ticket price increases:
    [QUOTE]The Bruins promote a lowest price ticket of $10, but that's only for kids in the family section and those tickets are $20 for gold games.
    Posted by Gumprecht[/QUOTE]
    Well now, that's pretty sneaky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

its efing bullsh*t rhis yr about how high the prices shot up. its gunna be almost sellout crowds anyways since how good they did last yr. so why not keep the ticket prices the same and make jus as much money. its not gunna be as filled on weekdays now compared to last yr where the tickets were pretty reasonable. like come on $100 for 1st row balcony? yea its the best seat in the house but ur still in the balcony w/ all the drunks. its bull 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

bruinsCupiN09 - You said: "its gunna be almost sellout crowds anyways since how good they did last yr. so why not keep the ticket prices the same and make jus as much money."

So let's simplify this a bit.  Let's say there are 10,000 seats, priced at $10 each.  They make $100k per game.  Then let's say they do some market research and because the B's are a good team and the city is excited about them, they raise all the ticket prices 50% to $15.  Now they're making $150k per game, and if the team performs and their market research is valid, the seats are still all sold out.

Look at this scenario from a CEO point of view - EVERY CEO EVER WOULD HAVE MADE THE INCREASES! 

It's too bad for people like us who can't afford the new prices.  But the Jacobs' job is not to make us feel good about ourselves.  It's to build shareholder value for their parent company.  Whatever they need to do to accomplish that is their choice.  Yes it stinks, yes I hate the price increase as much as you do, and yes I still hate the Jacobs family.

But I've also taken a handful of economics classes, and I understand simple supply and demand.  I kinda wish more of you did, too.  It would lower my blood pressure while reading these threads.  Because the sooner you realize the Jacobs family doesn't care about your financial well-being, the better you'll all be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Its called business and economics

Your product is awful - you charge low to get people in the door
    Your product is great - you charge more because people will still go

Wouldn't you do the same?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Its a bunch of BS, this is what sets the B's apart from going to a Celts game. The crowds are  genereally REAL fans at B's games. With prices going this high, this quickly, they will be bought buy companies and given out as good will to non-hockey fans.

I would rather the B's keep the ticket prices low and charge $12 a beer. That way, it is your choice once you get into the building.

I am really upset at what the Bruins are pulling here. They are finally getting back on the map and they are screwing the people who really do care.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

I'm not naive. I understand supply and demand. I teach economic geography at a major university. I understand why they're doing it. That doesn't make it right.

Businesses can make money and be ethical, but unfortunately many businesses lose sight of that when they opportunities for excessive profit exist.

I also believe professional sports teams are a public trust that are different in fundamental ways from other businesses and should be treated differently. Professional sports teams represent a city or region and the people who live there. That relationship makes them different than other businesses. Owners should recognize that and, if they don't, Congress should require them to in return for their monopoly in a given market.

Wouldn't I do the same? Nope. I have a conscience. Jeremy Jacobs apparently does not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skijumper. Show skijumper's posts

Well over 13,000 season tickets have been sold so what can you do if people buy the seats at that price why wouldn't they charge more for them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

I live in Toronto and Leafs fans have been taking it up the a$s$ for years. Getting a Leafs ticket is maybe the hardest and most expensive in the league. I only go once a year when the Bruins come to town, but many Leafs fans who really love the team but can almost never go complain bitterly all the time. It's probably not quite as bad in Boston, but sounds like you guys are suffering from the same case of f*ckthefansinthea$$-itis we've suffered from for years.

Anyway, who cares about the Leafs, they swallow goat excrement. GO BRUINS!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

bla,bla,bla You wanted a winning team now you have it. If I couldn't afford to go to a hockey game I for one would consider going back to school. Going to hockey games is a luxury you either can afford it (or not). For those that cannot afford it, welcome to the majority I guess you'll have to stay home sit back on your lazy-boy and enjoy the game, and don't worry about your old seat at the game (someone else will be using it).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not naive. I understand supply and demand. I teach economic geography at a major university. I understand why they're doing it. That doesn't make it right. Businesses can make money and be ethical, but unfortunately many businesses lose sight of that when they opportunities for excessive profit exist. I also believe professional sports teams are a public trust that are different in fundamental ways from other businesses and should be treated differently. Professional sports teams represent a city or region and the people who live there. That relationship makes them different than other businesses. Owners should recognize that and, if they don't, Congress should require them to in return for their monopoly in a given market. Wouldn't I do the same? Nope. I have a conscience. Jeremy Jacobs apparently does not.
    Posted by Gumprecht[/QUOTE]

So it ethics now - so when the Garden was empty all 4 yrs I was in college and tix were cheap and I was at every college night game - the fans should've been there because they were being ethical with cheap tickets - even though there product was better off in the AHL?

I'm not saying I like it - but I'm sick of the complaining - this is what happens when you have a GOOD team - I'll take the higher prices and quality hockey over cheap seats where you go to watch the other teams not your own!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

I'd give my left *** to be able to take my kid to see my Bruins play.  $20 for Gold games (kids under 14) ? Sign me up!

Kids seats in the nosebleeds for the AHL Manitoba Moose are $16.50!
    I'm looking at doing a pilgrammage to Beantown to take my little guy to a B's game and it will probably costs me $3000 with airfare, hotel, tickets, etc. 

The fact that I am willing to do that may be part of the problem.  For 2008-09, the five most expensive avg. tickets in the NHL were: Toronto, Mtl., Boston, NYR, Red Wings.  Why?  Demand!  Not only are these MAJOR original six hockey towns, each with their own huge fan bases, they also draw from all over North America. 

Most other NHL cities don't have that kind of draw and accordingly, can't charge as much.  The Coyotes can't give away 4 tickets with all u can eat/drink pop and snacks.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

My son and I root for the Bruins and go to Bruins games whether they're good or bad because they're our team, so long as we can afford it.

But each year we've gone to fewer games then the year before as ticket prices have increased. My salary doesn't go up 50 percent a year, unlike Bruins ticket prices.

Sorry, but watching the games on TV isn't a suitable substitute for me. In fact, I've chosen not to spend $60 a month on cable because the Bruins are the only thing I'd watch. I've chosen instead to spend that money on tickets.

When we can no longer afford to go to games, our interest in the team will gradually diminish and may disappear completely in time. The Bruins will become what the Red Sox are to me -- a rich man's team to which I pay little attention.

Your sick of the complaining? You're either rich, don't buy tickets, or you're an idiot. I complain because our team is being taken from us and I resent it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPinNH. Show JPinNH's posts

Gumprecht, I'm with you buddy.  I hate price increases, and I hate how the Jacobs' handcuffed the Bruins until the cap came along.  I'm a second-year season ticket holder, and I'm worried about what kinda jump we'll see in '10-'11 if the B's have another very good season.  And I agree with the Red Sox analogy, as the last few Sox games I've gone to have been because I won them on the radio.  Heck, I'm driving to Boston to see AAA baseball this Saturday because that's about the only way I can afford to see a game at Fenway these days.  At least my two year old won't know the difference.

But I don't blame the Jacobs for any of this.  If you teach economics, then surely you know the concept of price equilibrium.  The Jacobs want to see how much they can charge before the building STOPS being full.  They FINALLY put out a product good enough to fill the place on Wednesday nights, so you can't blame them for increasing prices, essentially as a real-life simulation of "how much are people willing to pay to see Bruins games".  If they jack up prices and people stop going, then they SHOULD consider it a failed experiment and lower prices.  But the problem is that, so long as the team continues to perform, I doubt you'll see an attendance drop drastic enough to reverse these price increases.  To anyone who's ever taken economics, that means the price is where it should be. 

Is it fair that you and your son can't see as many games?  Of course not.  But the boardroom of Delaware North is likely not filled with people who are all touchy feely, or who give significant thought to how Gumprecht feels about their prices.  They are put in their positions to increase shareholder value.  And if it means price increases, then so be it. 

Let's let the fans of the Boston Bruins decide what the tickets are worth.  If the barn is empty, we'll have spoken in unison.  If it's sold out, then the ticket increases were justified.

And until they build a hockey rink that seats 100,000, this is the way it'll be everywhere...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Wow - well no wonder your complaining, you cheap SOB. TV is below you, but Tickets are above you - well, get a job at the Garden then?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawLaw. Show LawLaw's posts

[QUOTE]Well over 13,000 season tickets have been sold so what can you do if people buy the seats at that price why wouldn't they charge more for them?
    Posted by skijumper[/QUOTE]

Many of the season ticket holders this year were able to lock in at the price they paid last season. This will be my second year as a season ticket holder and, fortunately, I was able to lock in at the same price as I paid in 08-09.  If hadn't been able to do that I don't know if I would have renewed my tickets seeing as I would be paying over $1,000 more this year than last year.  I understand supply and demand, and I expect ticket price increases as well but this is just too much.  My seats at the box office last year were in the $85 range......this year up to $121/$141 range. Absurd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disk0thek. Show Disk0thek's posts

I guess this means more Providence games for me!

Either way, I only head to 2-3 B's games a season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

That's funny because I just bought the same tickets as last year, for the Canes game in October, and paid the exact same price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]My son and I root for the Bruins and go to Bruins games whether they're good or bad because they're our team, so long as we can afford it. But each year we've gone to fewer games then the year before as ticket prices have increased. My salary doesn't go up 50 percent a year, unlike Bruins ticket prices. Sorry, but watching the games on TV isn't a suitable substitute for me. In fact, I've chosen not to spend $60 a month on cable because the Bruins are the only thing I'd watch. I've chosen instead to spend that money on tickets. When we can no longer afford to go to games, our interest in the team will gradually diminish and may disappear completely in time. The Bruins will become what the Red Sox are to me -- a rich man's team to which I pay little attention. Your sick of the complaining? You're either rich, don't buy tickets, or you're an idiot. I complain because our team is being taken from us and I resent it.
    Posted by Gumprecht[/QUOTE] If your going to lose interest in the team because you can't afford to attend live games, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you were never really a true (bruin) fan anyways. Maybe you should think about loosening the purse strings a little (and get cable) so at least your son can watch them play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

The Bruins price me out of the building and that means I'm not a true Bruins fan? How's that?!?

I don't watch TV. I'm not going to pay $65 a month for cable just to watch the Bruins a few times a month for half the year. I realize those of you who sit in front of the TV every night can't comprehend it, but I've got better things to do with my life.

Besides, you miss the point. If the Bruins want to make it too expensive for me to attend games, why should I support them?

My son gets plenty of hockey and will continue to do so -- in person, playing, or going to games elsewhere. He doesn't need cable.

It's amazing to me how many of you just accept the fact that the teams like the Bruins are screwing you. You're sheep and get what you deserve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

My brother was a true Bruins fan all his life listening to the games on bloody short wave radio before that $65 package ever existed. So yeah, I think a true fan isn't defined by his cable bill LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skijumper. Show skijumper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins ticket price increases : Many of the season ticket holders this year were able to lock in at the price they paid last season. This will be my second year as a season ticket holder and, fortunately, I was able to lock in at the same price as I paid in 08-09.  If hadn't been able to do that I don't know if I would have renewed my tickets seeing as I would be paying over $1,000 more this year than last year.  I understand supply and demand, and I expect ticket price increases as well but this is just too much.  My seats at the box office last year were in the $85 range......this year up to $121/$141 range. Absurd.
    Posted by LawLaw[/QUOTE]

Yeah but there still has to be a bunch of new season ticket holders who jumped on the bandwagon after last year. Does anyone have the number for season ticket holders last year?