B's aren't good enough to justify trading for "rentals"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

B's aren't good enough to justify trading for "rentals"

Why are we even talking about "rentals"?  You only trade for rentals IF...and only IF...you think your team has a shot of getting to the Cup Finals.  Does ANYONE really believe this year's B's are good enough to justify spending assets for players who likely won't be here after this season ends?

If I were Chiarelli, I'd only make deals for players who will be Bruins for at least 1-2 seasons beyond this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: B's aren't good enough to justify trading for "rentals"

Agreed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Guerin at 38 to Pits was a pretty good rental, considering they were on the cusp of being eliminated from playoffs, not much unlike ourselves. He solidified 2 top lines and gave Sid one of the wingers with grit he desperately needed.

We have a far more complete team than Pit top to bottom exceptions Sid and Malk, give Sav a line and see where we go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

....Pitts last year not unlike ourselves? Far more complete team? Come on- look at the Bruins defenseman compared to Pitts of last year- I'll take Gonchar, Scuderi, Skills, Letang, Orpik and Eaton over Chara and the rest of the 3rd pairing talent D that we have.

You've got to be kidding me. They were the defending Eastern Conf Champs w/ better goaltending, forwards, defenseman, experience and 2 of the top players in the world.

Whole different scenario. Guy like Guerin does not help the 09/10 Bruins that much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

for players with 1-2 yr contracts or players that would help in your salary cap issues aka ryder,wideman & thomas.....if this was possible then a rental player for the remaining yr to stay competitive   like dump ryder for a rental & then pick selanne up to replace him for the remaining part & at the end of year your $$$$$$ free   thinking the perfect scenario would be handuis for ryder then selanne for a 2-3 pick wideman for a prospect & a 2nd then come next yr you have 8 mill off the books but still enough talent to stay competitive this year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

One big difference between Pitt and us. Guerin was a complementary scorer, we need a primary sniper. We also don't have Crosby to bail us out in a tight situation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If you think about it this way, if the Bs add a couple of ufa's that salary is resonable and they help the Bs compete further into the playoffs this year, renta or not its all about getting some more home games revenue into the books but more importantly to us a far better competing team. Anything can happen in the playoffsand a couple of addons and a couple of subtractions justmight do it, heck Im optimistic with it and if they dont, I have no expectations for the team the Bs have right now. too many underacheivers, this team needs a shakeup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I agree with people who said you take a rental in exchange for a salary dump, but that's not the usual context in which trades for rentals are discussed or made.  Most of the time, you spend part of your club's future to get a missing piece...a rental...who can win you a Cup now

Clearly, the B's are not one player away (or even two...) from getting to the Stanley Cup Finals, but if they could dump Ryder's contract (but WHO would take him at that price through next season?), that would be fine with me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Sorry but I'll take the B's d and goaltending any time over the pens, last 2 years stats show why. Gonch was here and he does not have a defensive bone in his body, ask Canada.

We have the D we need the O. Guerin complemented Sid, he had a career year scoring in the playoffs and this season since G joined the pens he has a career high and is tied for the league lead. yes he is scoring a few, but he has given Sid more room to create and score.

A Guerin isn't going to solve it but he is a start towards completing a top line that we don't have. We have very solid 2-3 lines that will be better with a true 1 line that is actually not a make up of 4th liners.

We have a def shot at the east, there is no team that strong. Russia, I mean WAS was shown as weak in the Oly.

We just need a top line. Our D will be even stronger with more scoring and sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

I LIKE WHAT I READ THAT GETTING A TRUE #1 LINE WILL HELP THE DEFENSE.I THINK THATS THE PROBLEM,WE ALWAYS HAVE GREAT 2 LINES AND 3 LINE AND 4TH LINES,NEVER A TRUE #1 LINE,WHAT DO WE HAVE THAT WE COULD TRADE TO SOLVE THIS,NOTHING!!!IF NOTHING AT ALL AND WE GIVE UP ON THOMAS,GO HARD AFTER FLORIDA`S TALENT,YOU COULD PROBABLY BUILD 2 GOOD LINES AND STEAL VOCOUN,WHO IS A SHUTOUT MASTER WHEN HE HAS A GOOD DEFENSE LIKE WE HAVE.KICK FL.WHILE THERE WOUNDED UPSTAIRS AND TAKE THE TALENT.PLEASE..DON`T TELL ME WE CAN`T,,,THAT WOULD BE PURE LIES!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: B's aren't good enough to justify trading for "rentals":
    Rentals are good for possible salary dump for an expiring contract....Like Selanne, Tkachuk, Kariya, Hamhuis are all expiring contracts. If you can move Ryder's salary that will free up 4.0 CAP HIT for next year. thats why you can take on rentals. Posted by morphosis1974

^This!