Craig Anderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Craig Anderson

I think we all get your point, dk.  My point, shared by a few above, is that no GM would drop a Vezina winner for a career back-up.  Anderson's numbers might look good, especially on the Panthers, but he's never played more than 31 games in a season.  Looking good with a back-up's work-load might lure a GM in, but it could be a costly trap.  NHL history is littered with guys who looked dynamite playing 1/3 of the season, usually against the weaker sisters, but who then blew up when they got a shot at the #1 gig.  Damien Rhodes.  Craig Billington.  Chris Terreri.  Antero Knit-a-mackey (it's Finnish, what do you want?).  Trevor Kidd.  If you take away his loony playoff successes, you could throw Chris Osgood in there.  So the risk/reward on your idea is way out of whack.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

if trading thomas was to benefit the overall production of your team you would not trade him? think of the return that venzina trophy would get from say LA who is dieing for a top notch goalie (thomas & ference for frolov,johnson & a 2n,maybe a 1st)... rask is ready to take over as a #1 goalie 4-5 yrs of seasoning is alot more then carey price got.....is thomas in the top 5 goalies in the nhl?   top 10?  im thinking 5-10 somewhere....is keeping thomas that much of a advantage for your team then goin with rask & say hedberg from atl whose carrying 3 goalies?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yes, having Thomas is that much of an advantage.  Hedberg is a fat, lazy journeyman who nobody keeps around.  He's had shots but chose not to work hard enough.  Right now, we don't know if Tukka Rask is Blaine Lacher or Gerry Cheevers.  He looks good, sure, but we don't yet know if he has a hole in his game that NHL calibre film-study will identify.  He hasn't had 4-5 years of seasoning unless you're counting Finnish leagues.  You really want to put the load on him knowing that if he falters, you've got nothing?  How'd that work out when they ditched Dafoe for Raycroft?  Or with John Grahame?  If your goaltender stinks, your team stinks.  You don't take chances, especially if you're coming off of a 116 pt season where your goaltender was clearly a key component, and you think you have a Cup window.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

People seem to agree about TT-Brodeur.  However, I'm just curious where exactly you rate TT compared to goalies:

Behind Brodeur, Fleury?, Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Luongo, Ward, Miller.  Where does TT belong amongst these(could have left a guy or two out)?  I would say top 5....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

boy Oh boy 46 do you do a lot of supposin " how would you know how anderson would have done under last years system . here is a  fact with no supposin thomas has outplayed every bruin goaltender for the last 3 years. if you combine the last three years save percentage which goalie in the nhl  has the highest
     . well no supposin about it its timmy thomas higher then brodeur higher then luango hey thats a fact .
    if you want to go by a short term hot streak lets move krejci nd pick up yelle. you make about that much sense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

3 people to respond to.....
    first, bruinsking, well, your what we call a stat guy, and hockey is not a game of statistics, its a game of the little things. Craig Anderson is not on a short hot streak, his name was on the leaderboards in save percentage last year as well.
    But anyhow, you take your stats, keep reading the boxscores, and i'll keep watching the games and knowing whats going on.

stingerjp
    In my mind, you can't even discuss the possibility that Thomas is better than Brodeur, Ward, Miller, Luongo, or Lundqvist. I'd say Thomas is somewhere between 7-10.

bookboy, not gonna bother, you haven't read a single one of my posts, or at leats they haven't sunk in.

pucman, The Kings have a VERY VERY good goaltender, a buddy of mine, jon quick. hell of a last name for a goalie, and he lives up to it, they are all set at the goaltender position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Why would LA be looking for a topknotch goalie, Quick is leading the league in wins tied with Anderson.

DK stats do matter sometimes and wins is one of the big ones.

Anderson Age 28 1.8M  Career - 36W 43L 2T 9OT 7SO was not kept by Florida after 3 years & a.924 save % for 1.8M signed by Col.

TT  age 35  5M    109W 73L    0T    20-OT      12SO  was making the least of almost any starting goalie last year..

TT who has battled thru all goalies the B's put ahead of him and continually earning the # 1 spot and coming up with the vezina.

TT won as many games last year as Andy had in his career to that point signs a cap friendly top goalie salary 5M-4yr with an easy dump salary of 3M at end when Rask is expected to take the rains if he can earn them.  Andy not thought well enough by Flo to pay 1.8M.

Without your crystal ball or 20/20 hindsight yes I would have dumped TT for this awesome goalie at 1.8M.

And has still a full season to prove himself let alone 2.

Comparing TT to Brodeur is unjust as well if you want to flash career numbers, but his stats numbers in games played is not bad considering. Brod was signed to a salary of 5.2M for 6 years when he turned 35 and the cap was not supposed to be going up. He is 37 now and his salary is still a great cap friendly for his calibre goalie.

TT will never put up Brod season type numbers playing for CJ as his way is to rest his tandem. Too much, the same as with his skaters being rotated shift for shift.

TT had to be signed or we would have been going with 2 unproven goalies and he had earned it being a #1 over a 4M backup..  Seaon end TT will be ahead of either of these goalies when the league gets back into full swing and not the early jumps that we have seen from noncontenders and I would have signed him over either of the noted league leaders, yes preferably lower money but it had to be more than the 4 that Fern was getting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

lets face it thomas is not goin anywhere....i love the passion that the b,s fans have & its just a,lil fun to throw things out there....im kinda finicky when it comes to bein a b,s fan as it is my 1 passionate team outa of all the sports....i remember i believe last year right before san jose came into boston it could have been as good as i ever seen a bruins team play ( 30 yrs)....they were clicking on all cylinders & i loved it....im hoping they can get back to that level hopefully closer to playoff time & carry the cup home & would love to join you all for a celabration!  GO B,S!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

anderson pitched another shutout last night.....yikes   i vote dkrecji46 as GM!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

46 you jumped on another  the poster for mentioning broduer now I would like to ask you why do you think luango is better . please tell me  what he has ever done to deserve all of your accalade.  Certainly you would replace his 7 mil. dollar contract with andersons 1.8 right. and once again why not replace krecji contract with a cap freindlier one in yelle .  he is much better defensively there  skating is not that much better and yelle is much better at face offs.and salary is only 700,000.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Craig Anderson:
    [QUOTE]anderson pitched another shutout last night.....yikes   i vote dkrecji46 as GM!
    Posted by pucman[/QUOTE]

And Luongo gave up five goals! Obviously Anderson is much better than Luongo!

Of course, the fact that the Avs were playing the Oilers and the Canucks were playing the Red Wings had nothing to do with it. ;-)

As I said, any goalie can ride a hot streak, and any goalie -- even Brodeur -- can look like garbage in a game or two. That's why GMs look at career numbers, and why I even have to point this out is beyond me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

krejci led the NHL in plus minus...much better defensively eh? much better at faceoffs? yelle won 1.7% more, so yea, a little better, but krejci took WAY more draws. yea, i think those 73 points might make a difference too

and as for luongo, ummm, i've watched him play, hes better than thomas, lets not go there

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]krejci led the NHL in plus minus...much better defensively eh? much better at faceoffs? yelle won 1.7% more, so yea, a little better, but krejci took WAY more draws. yea, i think those 73 points might make a difference too and as for luongo, ummm, i've watched him play, hes better than thomas, lets not go there
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

I think you are in need of a Sarcasm Detector.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

krech46,  it's too soon to talk how good Anderson is just like it's to soon to judge the Bruins play so far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]krejci led the NHL in plus minus...much better defensively eh? much better at faceoffs? yelle won 1.7% more, so yea, a little better, but krejci took WAY more draws. yea, i think those 73 points might make a difference too and as for luongo, ummm, i've watched him play, hes better than thomas, lets not go there

According to DKREJCI45:

TT stats are overrated because last years team was so good. His GAA and SV% don't mean as much as it should.

David Krejci's +/- shows what a great player he is, nothing to do with the team. 

Which one is it?  Does the team make the player or do the players make the team????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

kind of an unfair comparison....a goalie is a goalie no matter what system he plays in, hes going to play the same way regardless of what the system is. hes going to stop the same shots he normally would stop in another system. The system changes what shot said goalie sees.

On the skater end of it, skaters make the system, just as the system makes the skater. Being able to play a system is a talent, one that Krejci, as well as many other players on the team have. They buy into the system, and are responsible for their plus minus, and, in turn, are responsible for what shot their goaltender faces. Sometimes, not in all situations, but sometimes, a goalies numbers reflects the responsibilities of the skaters in front of them.
    In this case, it benefits thomas, just like how in florida, the system did not benefit Anderson.

Goalie with good numbers in a bad defensive system />a goalie with good numbers in a good defensive system.
    Granted Thomas had way better numbers which is why i concede thomas is the better goaltender, but not 3.2 million a year better

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PianosAreFun. Show PianosAreFun's posts

[QUOTE]Granted Thomas had way better numbers which is why i concede thomas is the better goaltender, but not 3.2 million a year better

Here's where you've lost me, Thomas's current deal was based off of what other top goalies were getting, not what Craig Anderson was getting.  If you're going to say Thomas is not $3.2 million better than Anderson, how about other top goalies?  I'm not looking up numbers but are Luongo, Broduer, Miller, Nabokov, or whoever $ x million better than Anderson?

So, I ask, is Thomas overpaid or is Anderson underpaid?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]bookboy, not gonna bother, you haven't read a single one of my posts, or at leats they haven't sunk in. Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

Sorry, which of my posts are you not answering?  'Cause if I go back over what you've posted here, the sum total is that you think the Bruins would be better off with Anderson and $3M in the bank than Thomas, both short and long term.  You think they should have signed Anderson and let Thomas walk, because while Thomas is better, he's not significantly better, and the $3M would be handy.  Right?  'Cause if that's wrong, you should edit your existing posts.

And so my reply was that, while I see your point, I don't think many GMs would see that as a good risk.  No one knows what Anderson will do in the playoffs.  No one knows how Anderson will play in the second half of a season where he plays 60 games.  There's definitely no statistical evidence.  So what you're saying is that you think it would be a sound bet to risk the entire season on Anderson's ability to maintain this level of play all season and into the playoffs to save $3M in cap space for the next two years, and maybe $4M once Rask is your #1 if you sign a small-hit back-up goalie.  And what I'm saying is that that might look good right now, but it's high risk, low reward.

So now, enlighten me - what part of your point have I missed?  Or did you not understand my point, so not bother to reply?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

While I'm at it - your points about systems seem flawed too.  It may be true that a goalie makes the saves he's capable of making regardless of systems, but wouldn't that mean that to be successful, a team needs to find a goalie who stops the shots that the system allows?  You pointed out earlier that Thomas benefits from a system where his defensemen have two primary responsibilities - keep the attacking team to the outside to force long shots and then clear the rebounds. To play in this system, we've seen Thomas adapt his positional technique to improve his first stop save %.  On the other hand, every system breaks down, and when it does, a goaltender who can scramble covers for the breakdown - so Thomas makes the system look good.  So success is a product of matching the goaltender to the system.  In effect, this is exactly what you've said of skaters. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

[QUOTE]Im with you krejci....throw the salary cap into this conversation & ill take a scoring forward or a good dman & rask-anderson combo....i think you have to start with not bein a huge thomas fan to settle this question,which i am not....thomas has a flair for the dramatic....yeah i saw the game last night & im saying most if not all those great saves could of been saved by a nhl goalie....the one where he dove headfirst to stop i believe alfredsson could not of been saved by a stand-up goalie following the puck & sliding over for the save? maybe not as outstanding as thomas did but yes! it could of been done easily....3 snap shots got by thomas,lucky for him 2 hit posts in the shootout....hes good but he is not that good & with the salary cap id take the rask-anderson combo....next time rask is in net see how easy the d has it around the net & then with thomas in there see the pressure that is put on the d to clear the puck or block a rebound
    Posted by pucman[/QUOTE]

read the last part of this post & tell me what you saw today? rask,s style makes the game easy for the rest of the team 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Anderson, leading the NHL in save percentage and wins.....at 1.812 million with a team inferior to the bruins