Depth at Center?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IcedAdam. Show IcedAdam's posts

Depth at Center?

Explain this to me...

If Seguin is going to be a super-star center, why can't the Bruins just roll Bergeron to wing?  Obviously Bergeron is a great 2-way center with impressive face-off stats, but is it really THAT big of a deal to put him back in a finishing role at wing? After watching the 2005 Canada Juniors Team, Bergeron was absolutely dirty, and I think that he could thrive at a wing position (again). 

Logistically, is it that improbable to have Bergy at the dot and then during play have Seguin and Bergeron switch responsibilities from wing to center, and vice versa? I don't have any significant competitive hockey under my belt, so I don't know what kind of issues this creates when players have a dual role during certain parts of their shift. 

I was hoping that someone could "enlighten" me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Depth at Center?

I don't think its a problem as much as is seguin ready to play center at the nhl level, and if so, i think savy or krejci become the 2 players who make more sense to move (either thought niether really plays a game fitted for a wing).. Bergy is a great defensive center, you want him in that role..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I'd rather see Tyler start at wing his first year.  Just makes too much sense.  The teams loaded with NHL centers but needs finishers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Tyler Seguin has been an outstanding player in the OHL where he played BOTH wing and center. The Bruins have four NHL established performers at Center in Savard/Kreji/Bergeron/Campbell. Each of these "established" centers have differing attributes that they work on to mesh with players on their wings, and on Defense. The progress from OHL to NHL is not easy. Seguin has the opportunity to learn how to first play wing [ less complex] and ultimately Center[ more complex and more responsibility]. Bergeron started his NHL career as a young and talented player on the wing and has progressed to being a very complete and responsible center. I do not know if Savard or Kreji followed this same path, but, Bergeron is the Bruins first choice when an important face-off is needed since he is very adept at controlling the puck DURING and AFTER the faceoff. The Bruins expect that Seguin will learn this skill and be more valuable as he learns. Immediate is not the best place to learn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

The Bs are a D first team,Seguin not NHL strong enough to start at center.If he did his ice time would be 6-7 minutes a game AKA Joe T.from the Sharks.Let his +/- be easier to live with his first year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Defensive responsibilities for a Center for one are much harder IMO. Beregeron is up against the best playmaker for the opposing team every night (well unless on the road and home team coach uses his last change to his advantage) You want to change Patrice from those duties ? I do not want that to change.

I've read Coaches n GMs commenting and Scouts have told me that learning the wing position is allot easier than learning to be an NHL center. Seguin seems to me so far anyways from what i've read and seen interviews to be very smart so I do see Tyler picking up the other Center duties as he develops very quickly.

Again we are talking about the Bruins and as long as Julien is behind that bench it is Defense first.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We've had this discussion (Seguin - C vs. W) all summer.  If someone can come up with a new, pertinent argument re: where Seguin will start, I'll sing an Air Supply song, record it, and upload it for unlimited mockery (I will not ever do this...).  But the OP asked a more technical question on whether or not TS could play C but let Bergeron handle faceoffs.

My answer is that you could do this but I'm not sure why you would.  In almost every sport, offenses attempt to force defensive players to switch responsibilities because, in that moment, there are gaps and opportunities you can exploit.  Great communication and anticipation by the defending players minimizes those opportunities to a large degree, but they're still there however briefly.  The situation you describe makes Seguin and Bergeron responsible for that shift every time there's a faceoff.  The timing of the shift would be tricky too - you might have to stick with a check for a second or two or much longer.  So - in trying to protect the rookie, you'd be exposing him to a prime chance to make some pretty glaring mistakes in coverage.  On the offensive side, how much energy is spent trying to sort out that shift as opposed to playing your position and going on the attack?

Let me just...get...out...my drum....there.  Make Seguin earn a spot as a pivot.  If you're covering for him on draws an instituting shifts etc., that would seem to suggest he's not one of your three best centres. Is he one of thetop six wingers if he plays the wing?  I'd say that's pretty likely.  If you want him to get experience at centre, have him play there for a game here and there, a period, a shift.  Play him at centre against teams that won't match him up against a 80+ point, 6'4"+ 220lb+ first line centre (meaning teams that don't have one - which is most teams).  Wouldn't that be a better way to develop him as a centre and shelter him from situations where he might be overmatched?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

How about trading a center(not Krejci) for a young dynamic winger, to help our centers achieve the most out of their skill set. Maybe this unnamed center would seem useful to the team that Bobby Ryan plays for- maybe include Ference or Hunwick, and an additional 2nd rd pick if needed. Wouldn't this make the Bruins a better, more balanced team? This should really stir up some trouble-

Hey Book- how bout, Even the nights are better?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I don't see the fuss in having Seguin play on a line with another center. Occasionally Pittsburgh does that with Crosby and Malkin .... two centers playing on the same line (other than the PP). And when they do, that line is unstoppable. Furthermore, when Malkin and Crosby play on the same line, they switch between setup guy and sniper constantly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

The kid starts and plays 80% at wing.Its settled, someone please tell Claude.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

If occasionally playing crosby and Malkin together(which puts one or the other at wing)works,and it does,it certainly could work Seguin with either Bergeron or Krejci.It just makes a lot of sense to put Seguin with either one of them and give the young man a chance to develop his skills at the NHL level while lessening the burden on the 18 year old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to Re: Depth at Center?:
    [QUOTE] If occasionally playing crosby and Malkin together(which puts one or the other at wing)works,and it does,it certainly could work Seguin with either Bergeron or Krejci.It just makes a lot of sense to put Seguin with either one of them and give the young man a chance to develop his skills at the NHL level while lessening the burden on the 18 year old.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

If I were an 18 year old draft pick ( in my pee-wee days that was going to happen) the thought of playiing with either Savy,Bergy,or Krejci,at any position,would be enough.Hopefully young Tyler thinks the same.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Because Bergeron is one of the top faceoff men in the NHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

I bet that Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, miss some games this year.  Depth is not a bad thing.