Do You Have Hope For The Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Do You Have Hope For The Draft

In 2008 the Bruins drafted (AJHL)Joe Colborne ahaead of Jordan Eberle,Michael Del Zotto,and John Karlson.In 2007 Bruins drafted Zach Hamill in the first round and overlooked PK Subban,Wayne Simmonds and David Perron.In 2005 Boston's first round pick was bust Matt Lashoff,instead of Steve Downie,TJ Oshie,Paul Stastny,and Mason Raymond.In 2004 Boston's first choice was Mark Stuart,..but they passed on Mike Richards,Corey Perry,Ryan Kesler,and Louis Erikkson.Finally in 2002,Bruins went for complete bust G Hannu Toivevin when they could have had Matt Greene,Trevor Daily,or DUNCAN KEITH.One more..In 2001 Boston first rounder was Shaone Morrison.when the could have had Mike Cammalleri,Tomas Plakanec,Colby Armstrong,DEREK ROY,or Jason Pominville.

I hope PC works some trades after the second pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Do You Have Hope For The Draft

In Response to Do You Have Hope For The Draft:
    In 2008 the Bruins drafted (AJHL)Joe Colborne ahaead of Jordan Eberle,Michael Del Zotto,and John Karlson.In 2007 Bruins drafted Zach Hamill in the first round and overlooked PK Subban,Wayne Simmonds and David Perron.In 2005 Boston's first round pick was bust Matt Lashoff,instead of Steve Downie,TJ Oshie,Paul Stastny,and Mason Raymond.In 2004 Boston's first choice was Mark Stuart,..but they passed on Mike Richards,Corey Perry,Ryan Kesler,and Louis Erikkson.Finally in 2002,Bruins went for complete bust G Hannu Toivevin when they could have had Matt Greene,Trevor Daily,or DUNCAN KEITH.One more..In 2001 Boston first rounder was Shaone Morrison.when the could have had Mike Cammalleri,Tomas Plakanec,Colby Armstrong,DEREK ROY,or Jason Pominville. I hope PC works some trades after the second pick.
    Posted by soups-7

Stuff like that happens in every draft every year.  In 2006, every team passed on Lucic, some even twice.  In 2004, every team passed on Krejci.  In 2003, every team passed on Bergeron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

You can do that same thing w/ every team Soups. What's w/ the negativity towards Colbourne? Seems like he has progressed nicely so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes.  A lot of hope. 
    Certain: I see 1 player out of this draft certainly cracking the line up.
    Maybe: 2 players are possible with draft picks 15, 32.
    If we are lucky: 3 players possible with current prospects and other draft picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

What a stupid post, every team but one missed on each player listed it happens.  However, you can state our draft and scout team has been terrible over the last 6-7 years, that I would agree. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Absolutely. A lot of people are saying that this will be the deepest draft since 2003 (the best draft ever). Thus how can you not have hope for this draft.

Go back to the 2003 draft, and you'll see that almost every 1st round player, and a lot of 2nd rounders, became very good players. With the Bruins having 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, you have to have hope that at least 2 of these players will be good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

If you're going to judge Chiarelli on his drafting, then you can only go back to the 2007 draft, his first that he had complete control over. He hasn't had an immediate impact player yet, but there's not a big argument that we could've used one, or that the player we picked should've started immediately. Hamill and Colborne are talented with the puck, but were never meant to step into the lineup immediately after.

As for the players passed over, judging talent is an eye of the beholder aspect. Certain teams see qualities in players that they like, and think will fit in with their team. I think we would've had a lot stronger drafts if people could look without a bias, but then again if I had wheels I would be a wagon. Drafting may be the most inexact science in all of hockey. Teams usually get one or two successful picks in each draft (successful meaning a player plays in the league, it's not meant as a description for talent). Good drafting teams may be able to get two, possibly three NHLers in a draft.

This draft should be, and hopefully will be, a defining draft for the Bruins. There is enough talent and Chiarelli has enough picks to really make a splash, and set a tone for the future. As disappointing as our loss was, we're still in a very good position to be competitive for a long time.

My outlook for this draft is extremely positive. Chiarelli isn't Belichek, he's not going to trade down for a ton of lower round picks. He's interested in moving up in this draft because he's got the pieces and while the talent is great throughout the first two rounds, it's at a premium in the top 10.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessup07. Show jessup07's posts

hindsight is 20/20, there isnt one team in the league that hasnt taken lesser skilled guys than guys they coulda had.  thats why theyre called "prospects" not "sure fire nhl calibur players"

so sick of the negativity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Assuming we keep all of our draft picks this year (4 in the top 45), as well as next year (ours, along with a likely top 10, or even top 5 from Toronto's) we have a really good chance to build something special for the future, kind of like washington did with guys like Ovi, Backstrom, Fehr, Semin, Green, etc. Probably not the same individual impact, but you get my point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Have Hope For The Draft:
    Assuming we keep all of our draft picks this year (4 in the top 45), as well as next year (ours, along with a likely top 10, or even top 5 from Toronto's) we have a really good chance to build something special for the future, kind of like washington did with guys like Ovi, Backstrom, Fehr, Semin, Green, etc. Probably not the same individual impact, but you get my point.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

I will respond to this reply because I get your point. The past is the past & I don't want to focus on it but from here on in PC will be judged. This is our chance. His record & the staff for which he is responsible for is now on trial. I am not saying fire everyone like the Habs just did but this is our chance to add to a very good nucleus, we better use it! I'm not knockin' on Colborne but I am not so impressed with the pedigree, I thought he should have played in the WHL to get more playing time in to progress. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's nice to know you have it ... just like everyone else on the planet. If your so smart tell us who is going to be the NHL star picked in the second round this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Whatever PC decides with maybe moving RFAs around or just plain keeping the draft picks. Chiarelli knows what this deep draft could do for the Bruins.

He's made his mistakes but now he has his apron, hammer n chisel to do what he wants with many pieces, so many options his phone is going to ring off the hook from the end of the Stanley Cup. "Ok but you'll have to take this player if you want that pick and i'll go ahead an take that 3Mil player back to help you out"

I'm not hoping but very confident cause I know PC knows what he has.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's nice to know you have it ... just like everyone else on the planet. If your so smart tell us who is going to be the NHL star picked in the second round this year.
    Posted by Reilly24

I never said I was clairvoyant, I am using the aforementioned examples to prove a point that hindsight doesn't mean squat. Do you get it now? Its about what we do from here on in. As mentioned every team misses picks, thats why there is sometimes 9 rounds to choose players. If I was a fortune teller I would be the bruins GM. The last point is PC has been smart enough to get himself to this point to set up the future drafts, that should not be forgotten. I would have dumped Kessel too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Have Hope For The Draft : I will respond to this reply because I get your point. The past is the past & I don't want to focus on it but from here on in PC will be judged. This is our chance. His record & the staff for which he is responsible for is now on trial. I am not saying fire everyone like the Habs just did but this is our chance to add to a very good nucleus, we better use it! I'm not knockin' on Colborne but I am not so impressed with the pedigree, I thought he should have played in the WHL to get more playing time in to progress. 
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]

he was told to play in the NCAA so he would have more time to train and put on more weight

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Have Hope For The Draft : I never said I was clairvoyant, I am using the aforementioned examples to prove a point that hindsight doesn't mean squat.
    Posted by soups-7

That point was not proven by the post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Hey, Soup7 - Hindsight is 20/20. Your scenario could be done with the 29 other NHL teams and you would get the same result.

Nonetheless, the road to Stanley's Cup is through the draft. When the stars align correctly you come out with a good pick or two that can be added to your team.

I'll still take my chances through the draft. The good ones you miss you can only trade for later and they will cost you an arm and a leg and draft choices. Then you get caught in a vicious cycle of not having the draft choices to at all. And that is the ulitmate futility.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Hey, Soup7 - Hindsight is 20/20. Your scenario could be done with the 29 other NHL teams and you would get the same result. Nonetheless, the road to Stanley's Cup is through the draft. When the stars align correctly you come out with a good pick or two that can be added to your team. I'll still take my chances through the draft. The good ones you miss you can only trade for later and they will cost you an arm and a leg and draft choices. Then you get caught in a vicious cycle of not having the draft choices to at all. And that is the ulitmate futility.
    Posted by Wheatskins

You could use the Leafs as an example to back up your statement...Just saying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Have Hope For The Draft : I will respond to this reply because I get your point. The past is the past & I don't want to focus on it but from here on in PC will be judged. This is our chance. His record & the staff for which he is responsible for is now on trial. I am not saying fire everyone like the Habs just did but this is our chance to add to a very good nucleus, we better use it! I'm not knockin' on Colborne but I am not so impressed with the pedigree, I thought he should have played in the WHL to get more playing time in to progress. 
    Posted by soups-7

Well, the only reson Colborne went to the NCAA and not juniors was because he wanted to play less games and have more time to workout and add some muscle weight.  Here's a quote from an interview with The Stanley Cup of Chowder back on February 8 of this year.  Question was, What went into your decision to play college hockey instead of going the major junior route?
    His answer:
    "Personally, the college route made more sense because I needed to get stronger and bigger in order to make the jump to professional hockey. Playing in fewer games has allowed me to workout more regularly and has helped me achieve some of the goals that I have set out for myself."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Also keep in mind that in 1993, the Senators took bust Alexandre Daigle over Chris Pronger and Paul Kariya, in 2002 62 teams passed on Tomas Fleischmann until he was taken by Detroit with the 63, in 1999 the Thrashers took Patrik Stefan 1st over Henrik and Daniel Sedin, in 2005 Columbus took Gilbert Brule over Devin Setoguchi, etc.  The list goes on and on man.  You can't just single out one team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I have been critical of PC for a number of things surrounding contracts and trades.  I do think it is unfair to judge his drafts based on NHL games played, because the jury is still out on just about all of his picks.

I think PC has done a great securing picks in trades; Kessel, Recchi, Kobasew trades illustrate that.  I like the fact that PC can be aggressive with all of the picks he has at his disposal; 4 picks in the top 50 this year and next.  This draft will make or break PC and staff, they have every incentive to get it right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

I think Colborne's goals should have been on the ice. Improving his physical stature is important but let's not miss the big picture here. He should be improving his hockey skills, I think it would have been better served by playing in the CHL where the coaching is much better than the Univ. of Denver.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think Colborne's goals should have been on the ice. Improving his physical stature is important but let's not miss the big picture here. He should be improving his hockey skills, I think it would have been better served by playing in the CHL where the coaching is much better than the Univ. of Denver.
    Posted by soups-7

He comes from a wealthy family.  He may not need the money the NHL might bring.  He might not be all that committed to hockey, but wanted to be a regular kid and go to college.

Difficult to fault him for that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Honestly neither those two drafts, nor last years were really that deep. Second, they drafted players in positions the team was already deep at for future strength.

This draft is much deeper. This draft is probably as deep as the 2003 draft that got us Stuart & Bergeron.

Del Zotto's got a shot that's hard and accurate, skates well too but is clearly an offensive defenseman. Not yet even a two way defenseman at the NHL level, he may be eventually.

2008 Draft, only one person has played even a full season. Del Zotto, note that the Rangers finished out of the playoffs while the Bruins finished higher. No player in the second round has played even a single game, 5 guys drafted above him have played less than half a season if they've made it to the NHL at all.

2009 Draft, exactly 8 players in the entire round played even 1 NHL game. and only 1 person in the 2nd round. And when the Bruins drafted Caron they knew he was 1 or 2 years away from being in the NHL in their most deep position. The only guy drafted below Caron to play the season in the NHL had 8 goals. Do you really think that would have tipped the balance for the Bruins?

2007, can probably be called a 1st and 2nd round bust, Cross has had more knee surguries than Sturm, and Hamill has had enough injuries that his doctors can probably recognize an xray of any part of his body. Subban would have been nice but he had a huge amount of luck to go with his advancement. He jumped over guys who were injured (iirc the Hab's had 4 injured D at one point in the playoffs) and was brought up over the more offensive minded Yannick Weber who had playoff experience. A lot of people thought Cross would go in the first round, but he did slip. I don't recall mention of Subban's name but wouldn't cry if he was a Bruin next year, or the year after.

I don't know how much attention you paid to the last two drafts, but there was not as much talk about as many players. Last year they talked about the top 5 guys and that was about it. This year I've seen 20+ guys mentioned all over the internet by media, bloggers and such. All indicators point to this being a much, much deeper draft than last years. Depending on the teams and their needs, we could honestly see some of the 3rd round guys playing in the NHL next year.

So yes, I've looked at about 40 different prospects pieces across the internet, and there's about 8 or 9 I want in Boston who I think might still be available in the second round.

In Response to Do You Have Hope For The Draft:
    In 2008 the Bruins drafted (AJHL)Joe Colborne ahaead of Jordan Eberle,Michael Del Zotto,and John Karlson.In 2007 Bruins drafted Zach Hamill in the first round and overlooked PK Subban,Wayne Simmonds and David Perron.In 2005 Boston's first round pick was bust Matt Lashoff,instead of Steve Downie,TJ Oshie,Paul Stastny,and Mason Raymond.In 2004 Boston's first choice was Mark Stuart,..but they passed on Mike Richards,Corey Perry,Ryan Kesler,and Louis Erikkson.Finally in 2002,Bruins went for complete bust G Hannu Toivevin when they could have had Matt Greene,Trevor Daily,or DUNCAN KEITH.One more..In 2001 Boston first rounder was Shaone Morrison.when the could have had Mike Cammalleri,Tomas Plakanec,Colby Armstrong,DEREK ROY,or Jason Pominville. I hope PC works some trades after the second pick.
    Posted by soups-7

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

As long as PC doesn't trade out of the top 2 he is getting either hall or seguin and if either was a bust you can't blame PC. Hopefuly we can land another player who will help us this seaosn as well.