Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky...

The Bruins need to get serious about building a Stanley Cup contender, and from a personnel standpoint, they need a severe overhaul.  Mediocre players with bad contracts just won't do moving forward, so some tough decisions need to be made.  I love reading these boards because nobody is willing to move their "Binky" for the long-term good of the franchise. 

This team has limited salary cap space to dramatically improve this team for next year, let's blow it up! Let's get serious and stop playing for the Conference Semi-Finals. 

Here is how I see things shaping up:

Untouchable:
    Rask
    Seguin/Hall-
    #2 Overall Pick
    Next year's Toronto 1st Round Pick/ Boston 1st Round Pick

Part of the Solution:
    Lucic
    - may still develop into a Top 6 Forward, when he is on he is tough to handle
    Krejci- long-term 2nd line center at a reasonable price
    Boychuk- UFA, I saw enough of this guy to like his game.  I think he projects as a solid 5-6 D-man, offer him a contract accordingly
    Stuart- great leadership, future captain of this team.  RFA, lock him up as a 3-4 D-Man
    Seidenburg- UFA, should have been signed instead of Morris in the 1st place.  I like his game and for the right price, he can be part of the solution.
    Sobotka-RFA, need to bring this kid back.  He is the "John Madden" of the future (Devils/Hawks not Raiders/MNF).
    McQuaid-young, physical, responsible #6 D-man, a young Shane Hnidy.
    Hutchinson- young goalie, expended a 3rd round pick on him.  Could be long-term back-up to Rask.

I am willing to part with (to help the long-term goals):
    Chara
    - Binky to many, but is 33 years old and a UFA after 2011, no way he is worth a $7.5M multi-year extension.  Primed for a trade.
    Bergeron-Binky to many (including me), I love this guy's game, but not for $5M, also a UFA after 2011.  Primed for a trade.
    Savard-with Seguin an Krejci in the fold long-term, Savvy is expendable
    Wheeler-cannot score, but may be a 3rd-line solution.  RFA next year, I would be fine with a 2nd rounder as compensation to let him walk
    Recchi-UFA, great veteran, great leader, too much TOI for a non-contender
    Satan- see Recchi (minus leadership) 
    Hunwick- RFA after next year.  I am not sure what we are getting from him.
    Ference- Another bonehead PC signing, overpaying for an undersized, often-injured, unpopular player.  Again...any takers?
    Paille-RFA, might be part of the solution in the right role.  Alot of PJ Axelsson in him.
    Marchand- I have seen nothing from him to think he is part of the solution.  He is young, but I would move him in the right deal.
    Sturm-injured, UFA after 2011. Bye.
    Hamill-  Still waiting, if he can be packaged to help the team, let's do it
    Colborne-saw a few games of his at Denver, does not look like a winger.  Since we already have 2 young centers in Krejci and Seguin, let's get help elsewhere (W/D).

Need to Go!:
    Thomas-great story, great competitor, and Binky supreme.  Cannot afford a $5M back-up goalie. Try to get something, dump salary otherwise.
    Wideman- after a solid playoff, he should be moved if there are any takers
    Ryder-1 year left on awful contract, move him to 1st available taker, UFA in 2011
    Thornton-UFA, it's been a good run, bye
    Begin- Bye

I have not seen enough of the following players to make a competent assessment as to their viability to be part of the solution: Sauve, Caron, Lehtonen, Kampfer, Bartowski, Riendeau...but my guess is "I am willing to part with"....

Boston's 1st round pick (#15), their two second rounders this year and their two second rounders next year should be in the discussion to improve this team.

So, I am leaving quite a few holes in this roster and I like it that way.  This team should be built around Rask & Seguin, not Savy & Chara and needs to be flexible to find the right players.  Let's dump bad contracts where possible, walk-away from players when necessary (securing high-end youth/picks as compensation) and execute successful drafts over the next few years.  That is the blue-print to win a CUP!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Re: Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky...

It's amazing the Panthers hired Tallon instead of you Undecided

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Ha...i have had alot of pent-up frustration after the choke.  It all started flowing out tonight, sorry for the diatribe.  Interested in feedback though, where am I going wrong?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

OK, let's start with the "willing to let go" list:

Chara and Savard. They aren't going anywhere. Both had injury plagued year. Chara played through it, at a reduced level. Once it heals, he will play better. Savard only got into 41 games this year. His track record gives him a pass for not playing "up to par" after the injuries he faced. Besides, letting either of them go would get PC crucified like O'Connel did for losing Joe, no matter what the return is.

Bergeron. Coveted by most in the league for his ethic, his faceoffs, and his intelligent play. We already have him. Don't let him go.

Wheeler. Give him another year. This was his sophomore (slump) season, playing on a team that slumped around him.  Give him at least until the trade deadline, if still unhappy with him, then trade him or let someone sign him to an offer sheet at the end of the year.

Rechhi - You saw how he tossed that Sabre to set up the game-winning goal. Not only does he have heart and skill, but with a team that is getting younger by the day, his experience and credentials off the ice are an invaluable asset and mandate he should stay if he so chooses.

Paille - you remember our PK before we got him vs after? Don't want to run the risk, and at 1.1 mill last year, he's not that expensive. 

Sturm - like him or not, he led the B's in goals last year. You really think PC is going to let go of the team's top scorer two years in a row, especially after the differential in goals scored between last year and this?

Colborne - #6 overall in the draft, about to start his professional career. WAY too early to give up on him

I DO agree on Thomas should get moved, begin and Ryder should pack their bags. Not sold on Thornton yet. Wideman was great last year, awful this year. He got a LOT better in the last two weeks and playoffs when he changed his stick. He gained confidence, let's see where that takes him. If still bad next year, trade him early like Kobasew

I also agree with keeping Rask and the "part of the solution" people, although I admit I know nothing about Hutchinson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I thought your title for this discussion was cute. Then I read the part where you said "severe overhaul". That's when I stopped reading. This team needs tweaking, not overhauling. Couple guys out and a couple guys in is all we need. Or we could just blow the whole thing up and start over again and maybe in 10 or so years we could be back to where we are now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Agreed Reilly....In my opinion, injuries played a huge part in the regular season and it was why they went out(playoffs) when they did.  I am not using it as an excuse but I think players like Ryder,Wideman,Sobotka,Savard,Lucic and Wheeler will have excellent stats next year IF the team stays healthy!! This is a good team...just need to throw in a couple more ingredients.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Reilly & Scott: sounds like you guys have alot of Binkies!

The Bruins are not built to compete with the Pens or Caps and the fact that the Habs knocked them both out is a total fluke.  I do not want to bet on the fluke strategy, I want to see them build a team that can compete with them.  I don't want the Conference Semi-Finals to be this organization's ceiling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky...:
    Reilly & Scott: sounds like you guys have alot of Binkies! The Bruins are not built to compete with the Pens or Caps and the fact that the Habs knocked them both out is a total fluke.  I do not want to bet on the fluke strategy, I want to see them build a team that can compete with them.  I don't want the Conference Semi-Finals to be this organization's ceiling.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Wait, to compete with the pens or caps??  We made it further then the caps, and were actually set up as a better play off team then they were, and I think similar could possibly be said of the Pens.. How valuable does hal gill looking going from pitt, to montreal that knocks them out the following season as severe underdogs...  The playoffs are about defense/goaltending and timely goal scoring...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky... : Wait, to compete with the pens or caps??  We made it further then the caps, and were actually set up as a better play off team then they were, and I think similar could possibly be said of the Pens.. How valuable does hal gill looking going from pitt, to montreal that knocks them out the following season as severe underdogs...  The playoffs are about defense/goaltending and timely goal scoring...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

So I have you down for the Fluke Strategy, right?  Aren't the Pens the defending Cup champions?  Do you really think the Bruins are in either of those team's class?  Either you are drinkin' the kool-aid or I am completely out of touch.  I must be underrating the Bruins players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JezzaNuts. Show JezzaNuts's posts

Tweeks only and if not performing before the deadline move pieces. Except if we could get a top 6 winger for Thomas. 

I can almost guarantee that if we had a healthy Sturm and/or Krejci we make it deep into the conference finals this year maybe even play for the cup. Why do you blow up a team like that?

Almost all posters with 2 weeks in the season we saying "why make the playoffs we are 1 and done" This team with the injuries played great, and the future is bright for the Bruins. 

Next season can't get here fast enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Chara & Bergy are UFA's after next year, what is the plan?  That is currently $12M against the cap.  Is everyone prepared to commit another $12M to them going forward?  If not, why not deal these assets now and get something very valueable in return?  The only logical reasons why you wouldn't are:
    1) you plan to re-sign them
    2) you think you are a cup contender

I think it is a huge misstake to commit $7M+ to Chara, who is already 33 years old.  I also think it would be a misstake to sign Bergy again at $5M.  I get the attachment to these guys, I like them alot, but this team is not a cup contender "with a couple of tweaks" as some suggest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I think that next year will answer a lot of questions concerning Bergeron. It wouldnt surprise me to see him put up 75+ points. At the same time, it wouldnt surprise me if he gets less than 55. Im hoping Bergie takes a big hometown discount- 6 yrs $22-25ish maybe. 

I still dont know how I feel about Chara. We'll be out of Ryder's deal though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

To answer the "where I'm going wrong" question - you're not learning the lesson of this year: this team's biggest gap is character, not talent.  By character I mean more than just the willingness to take the body.  I mean the ability and the will to step up and lead the team out of slumps, to keep the locker room on an even keel, to call guys out in front of the team and not in the media and have it mean something.  No one on this team did that this year.  This is partly a question of continuity and having the right, respected veterans.  Not necessarily stars, either - just real pros and where possible guys who feel that the Bruins jersey should mean something.  So you're willing to keep guys like McQuaid, Boychuk, and Sobotka because they're young and they take the body, but Sobotka can't spell goal, and Boychuk and McQuaid combined haven't played a full NHL season.  Bergeron, on the other hand, is closer to the kind of character player they need than most, and if you pay a premium for the right to keep him as a Bruin for the rest of the decade, so be it.  You need to establish continuity to have an identity as a team, and you need an identity for players to be held accountable.

I'm guessing Chara and Bergeron will re-sign.  Chara will probably sign a front-loaded deal for a decade at a cap hit of around 4.5, and Bergeron will probably be 4 at least.  He'll get more than Krejci, and probably more than Savard.  I'm not sure what he'd get on the open market.  But keeping them will still save some cap space - maybe as much as 4M.  (Incidentally, people question Chara's character, and that's fair enough when you're 0-5 in your career in game 7s.  But I don't think he's a character problem - just not a leader.)

Oh, and Pens/Caps?  Hard to argue that the Pens have an edge, but the Bruins can definitely compete with them.  They're paper thin.  If you can contain Crosby and Malkin, who on that team is going to beat you?  Staal's good but not a consistent offensive force.  Guerin's getting old. etc, etc.  Washington has huge firepower, but if you can weather the storm, they have no defense to keep you from exploiting their goaltenders.  Like Clay-Liston, they're the team with the scary offense but the susceptible chin.  They can be had.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

What about your binkies, Stuart and Sobotka, two of the biggest binkies in Bruins land.  I am going to vomit the next time I hear someone say that Stuart is the next captain of this team.  He is a bottom pairing defenseman, period.  Yeah, yeah, he is strong like caveman, blah...blah...blah.  I don't dislike Stuart, and would choose him over Ference, but PC has already screwed that up.  Sobotka, the little big man is the most over-rated Bruin player on the team.  Yes he hits guys that are bigger then him, what else does he do?  134 games 6 goals 16 assists -16 64 pims, tell me again why he is part of the solution?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Everybody Wants To Keep Their Binky...:
    The Bruins need to get serious about building a Stanley Cup contender, and from a personnel standpoint, they need a severe overhaul.  Mediocre players with bad contracts just won't do moving forward, so some tough decisions need to be made.  I love reading these boards because nobody is willing to move their "Binky" for the long-term good of the franchise.  This team has limited salary cap space to dramatically improve this team for next year, let's blow it up! Let's get serious and stop playing for the Conference Semi-Finals.  Here is how I see things shaping up: Untouchable: Rask Seguin/Hall- #2 Overall Pick Next year's Toronto 1st Round Pick/ Boston 1st Round Pick Part of the Solution: Lucic - may still develop into a Top 6 Forward, when he is on he is tough to handle Krejci - long-term 2nd line center at a reasonable price Boychuk - UFA, I saw enough of this guy to like his game.  I think he projects as a solid 5-6 D-man, offer him a contract accordingly Stuart - great leadership, future captain of this team.  RFA, lock him up as a 3-4 D-Man Seidenburg-  UFA, should have been signed instead of Morris in the 1st place.  I like his game and for the right price, he can be part of the solution. Sobotka- RFA, need to bring this kid back.  He is the "John Madden" of the future (Devils/Hawks not Raiders/MNF). McQuaid- young, physical, responsible #6 D-man, a young Shane Hnidy. Hutchinson- young goalie, expended a 3rd round pick on him.  Could be long-term back-up to Rask. I am willing to part with (to help the long-term goals): Chara - Binky to many, but is 33 years old and a UFA after 2011, no way he is worth a $7.5M multi-year extension.  Primed for a trade. Bergeron- Binky to many (including me), I love this guy's game, but not for $5M, also a UFA after 2011.  Primed for a trade. Savard- with Seguin an Krejci in the fold long-term, Savvy is expendable Wheeler- cannot score, but may be a 3rd-line solution.  RFA next year, I would be fine with a 2nd rounder as compensation to let him walk Recchi- UFA, great veteran, great leader, too much TOI for a non-contender Satan - see Recchi (minus leadership)  Hunwick- RFA after next year.  I am not sure what we are getting from him. Ference - Another bonehead PC signing, overpaying for an undersized, often-injured, unpopular player.  Again...any takers? Paille- RFA, might be part of the solution in the right role.  Alot of PJ Axelsson in him. Marchand - I have seen nothing from him to think he is part of the solution.  He is young, but I would move him in the right deal. Sturm- injured, UFA after 2011. Bye. Hamill-   Still waiting, if he can be packaged to help the team, let's do it Colborne- saw a few games of his at Denver, does not look like a winger.  Since we already have 2 young centers in Krejci and Seguin, let's get help elsewhere (W/D). Need to Go!: Thomas- great story, great competitor, and Binky supreme.  Cannot afford a $5M back-up goalie. Try to get something, dump salary otherwise. Wideman- after a solid playoff, he should be moved if there are any takers Ryder- 1 year left on awful contract, move him to 1st available taker, UFA in 2011 Thornton- UFA, it's been a good run, bye Begin- Bye I have not seen enough of the following players to make a competent assessment as to their viability to be part of the solution:  Sauve, Caron, Lehtonen, Kampfer, Bartowski, Riendeau ...but my guess is " I am willing to part with ".... Boston's 1st round pick (#15), their two second rounders this year and their two second rounders next year should be in the discussion to improve this team. So, I am leaving quite a few holes in this roster and I like it that way.  This team should be built around Rask & Seguin, not Savy & Chara and needs to be flexible to find the right players.  Let's dump bad contracts where possible, walk-away from players when necessary (securing high-end youth/picks as compensation) and execute successful drafts over the next few years.  That is the blue-print to win a CUP!
    Posted by Crowls2424

Severe overhaul, blow it up and leaving quite a few holes in the lineup are not things that I think is the sensible thing to do with this team. Sounds like starting over again and going through the whole process of getting to where the B's are today .  Adding pieces while eliminating others is the way I'd do it. Gutting the team is not the answer IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Will any team (B's included) consider signing Chara to the same $ he makes now?  I doubt it but you never know how stupid teams will act when it comes to UFA's.  Chara is an oddity as his enourmous size comes at a cost.  I say Chara resigns with the B's for somewhere around 5-6 for another 3 years.  Take a look at Prongers rediculous contract.  $6.2 million hit all the way to 2017-18 and he'll be 35 at the beginning of next season.  Seems reasonable today but imagine what his game will look like even 5 years from now (at 40) when there will still be 3 more years left on the contract.  Pronger was a great player, today he can be real good but he does show moments when he seems to be standing in quick sand.  Slow and will only get slower. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

UNTOUCHABLE :  Krejci - Looch - Wheeler - Boychuk - thats all

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

To answer the "where I'm going wrong" question - you're not learning the lesson of this year: this team's biggest gap is character, not talent.  By character I mean more than just the willingness to take the body.  I mean the ability and the will to step up and lead the team out of slumps, to keep the locker room on an even keel, to call guys out in front of the team and not in the media and have it mean something.  No one on this team did that this year.  This is partly a question of continuity and having the right, respected veterans.  Not necessarily stars, either - just real pros and where possible guys who feel that the Bruins jersey should mean something.  So you're willing to keep guys like McQuaid, Boychuk, and Sobotka because they're young and they take the body, but Sobotka can't spell goal, and Boychuk and McQuaid combined haven't played a full NHL season.  Bergeron, on the other hand, is closer to the kind of character player they need than most, and if you pay a premium for the right to keep him as a Bruin for the rest of the decade, so be it.  You need to establish continuity to have an identity as a team, and you need an identity for players to be held accountable. I'm guessing Chara and Bergeron will re-sign.  Chara will probably sign a front-loaded deal for a decade at a cap hit of around 4.5, and Bergeron will probably be 4 at least.  He'll get more than Krejci, and probably more than Savard.  I'm not sure what he'd get on the open market.  But keeping them will still save some cap space - maybe as much as 4M.  (Incidentally, people question Chara's character, and that's fair enough when you're 0-5 in your career in game 7s.  But I don't think he's a character problem - just not a leader.) Oh, and Pens/Caps?  Hard to argue that the Pens have an edge, but the Bruins can definitely compete with them.  They're paper thin.  If you can contain Crosby and Malkin, who on that team is going to beat you?  Staal's good but not a consistent offensive force.  Guerin's getting old. etc, etc.  Washington has huge firepower, but if you can weather the storm, they have no defense to keep you from exploiting their goaltenders.  Like Clay-Liston, they're the team with the scary offense but the susceptible chin.  They can be had.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Great point about character Bookboy, that is a must with whatever the roster looks like next year.  I agree as well, that Bergy has a ton of character, I am just not willing to pay $5M/year for 52 points, a high faceoff% and a ton of character.  Hopefully, you are right about the hometown discount, I would like to have him back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

What about your binkies, Stuart and Sobotka, two of the biggest binkies in Bruins land.  I am going to vomit the next time I hear someone say that Stuart is the next captain of this team.  He is a bottom pairing defenseman, period.  Yeah, yeah, he is strong like caveman, blah...blah...blah.  I don't dislike Stuart, and would choose him over Ference, but PC has already screwed that up.  Sobotka, the little big man is the most over-rated Bruin player on the team.  Yes he hits guys that are bigger then him, what else does he do?  134 games 6 goals 16 assists -16 64 pims, tell me again why he is part of the solution?
    Posted by MeanE

I would trade either Stuart or Sobotka if it helped the team, hardly a Binky statement.  I simply think both should be part of the solution in the right role. 

I called Stuart a 3-4 D-man, sounds like you think he is more of a 5-6, that's fair.  I think Stuart has exhibited leadership skills in the past:
    - Captained Team USA to its first-ever Gold Medal at the 2004 World Junior Championships
    - Played three years of college hockey at Colorado College, where he captained the team his junior season 

For Sobotka, I am pencilling him in as the 3rd-line center.  He is tough to play against and wins 1-on-1 battles.  His scoring touch has not devolped, but that is not saying much for a team where the leading scorer has 52 points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Stuart has exhibited leadership skills in the past: - Captained Team USA to its first-ever Gold Medal at the 2004 World Junior Championships - Played three years of college hockey at Colorado College, where he captained the team his junior season  For Sobotka, I am pencilling him in as the 3rd-line center.  He is tough to play against and wins 1-on-1 battles.  His scoring touch has not devolped, but that is not saying much for a team where the leading scorer has 52 points. Posted by Crowls2424

When healthy all you have to do is look at the Bruins win at philly 5-1 in the latter part of the regular season. Stuart almost single handedly won that game with two fights too boot. He's a leader when on the ice. Could care less weather or not he where's the "C" or not means nothing to me his teammates knows he's a leader. 

Sobotka will center the 3rd or 4th line until Colborne can pop up from Providence. Vlad was awesome getting under the skins of Buffalo and Philly in the playoffs da Bs need guys like him he'll replace Begin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Severe overhaul and rebuilding, ah same words in a sense.  If 29 teams not winning the Stanley Cup, are they are all rebuilding? over having a transmission change?  As I have learned on these spaces it is the cap that speaks to organizing a team.  That said your list is written with throught.  I might add with some personal likes and dislikes.  

Sobotka is a role player as a fourth liner, love his game but I also liked Pj Stock, ha.  I know not the same type of player!  Now Stuart, well he maybe a second tier defenseman but he stood up after the revenge Pittsburgh game.  A keeper in my regard. Now signing Seidenberg, Boychuck, and Stuart is a real dream.  One has to go!  Stuart has trade value. Nothing else needs to be said. 

I agree on Savard or Krejci or even Bergeron.  Someone has to go! Hmm which one is older and has a contract more agreeable to other teams.  

The Bruins have no wingers per se.  Recchi ok.  Ahhh Wheeler has potential. Ahh Seguin has centerman written all over him.  A good winger for a few seasons, ok.  Lucic, oh yes, he will be better injury free.  He looked liked he cared in the 7th game against Philly.

Thomas and Rask are bound together for another year like it or not.  

Trade is only linked to Stuart, a centerman, and draft picks.  Me thinks all of those have to linked to what we get.  The Kings or Tampa are good trading partners in my book.  Remember other teams are making tough choices too.  Afterall 29 teams are rebuilding or going for a transmission job.  

Nonetheless the thread is made up of Bruins fans.  So all is well!