Favourite/Greatest Bruins Fighters of all time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

With all this talk a bout the pending Lucic/Big Georges showdown Saturday couldn't help think of some of my all time favs.

Of course O'Reilly & Neely were as tough as they come (and my favourites) but when it comes to pure toughness and personification of the word "Goon" I'd throw these guys out there:

Jay Miller (Nice Mustache, fought everyone)
    Dennis Bonvie ('97- 29 Points, 522 PIM in AHL!)
    Lyndon Byers (tough as nails)
    Bruce Shoebottom (nice name, nothing else to add)
    Krystoff Oliwa (Big, but otherwise useless)
    PJ Stock (fun to watch)

What's your thoughts, these are just a few of many...throw some names at me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantabbruinsfan. Show cantabbruinsfan's posts

I don't know about all time, but watching Chara toss dudes around like rag dolls is fun...

For real though I would pick Don Sweeney!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccb2006. Show ccb2006's posts

Definately Byers and Miller. Miller was fearless and Byers was tough and didnt back down either. I remember both when I really started watching hockey in the 80s. Lucic could be a good one too but need to see more from him in the way of fisticuffs...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

My favorite was little Stan Jonathan. It was so funny to watch him smack down the bigger guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bizman86. Show bizman86's posts

Anyone remember Brian Curran? That guy was huge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

That's right, I knew there was someone else! Brian Curran had his ragdoll moments his first couple of years with B's. Not a very good player, wound up getting hurt way too often, but he treated opposition like they were raw meat at times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Wayne Cashman had a "switch" and when he threw it, man you did not want to be on the receiving end of his enraged, relentless left hooks. Terry O., the legend. Cam of course. Derek Sanderson could go with the best of 'em in his youthful prime, a major taunter too. (For a real treat, check YouTube under Sanderson-Tony Esposito and Sanderson-Ray Mckay...two memorable incidents, one in Boston and the other at old, loud boisterous Chicago Stadium...the best!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

But pound for pound, Stan Jonathan may have been the toughest, most damaging fighter ever. Stock was good too, but didn't have the power that Jonathan had. Jay Miller was utterly fearless, strong and pretty damn intelligent; very few ever got the better of Miller, he always found a way to get up on his feet again; he also seemed to relish his role. John Wensink was a devastating puncher who feared no one, and struck fear into the hearts of most; not many wanted to tangle with Wensink. The only guy I didn't care for much was Byers, a bit of a poser, not truly tough. Remember he was drafted quite high, but when he couldn't make it as a skilled player, he fought in order to keep a job; he was just okay, no where near as tough as the other guys mentioned here. In the mid-late 60's, B's defenseman Terrible Teddy Green could whip everyone it seemed, except Canadiens menacing John Ferguson. Teddy always challenged him but when he did, you really just wound up looking the other way. He just could not beat him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from buppa13. Show buppa13's posts

pie aka john mckenzie he didn't always win but he went toe to toe with anyone. for those that never saw him think pedoria on skates

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I have to go with Jonathan, especially when you factor in his size. He kicked the crap out of Pierre Bouchard in one of the bloodier fights you'll ever see despite giving up several inches and lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPfQ-wfWWA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

I can't believe I left out one of my alltime favs- Willi Plett, one time Bruin and Calder Trophy winner. He could chuck 'em, youtube his Atlanta Flames Days

I Hate to mention this because he was a Hab but Mike MacPhee (not a real fighter) was one tough SOB, he tossed Milbury around more times than you could shake a stick at.

Just because I mentioned him doesn't mean I like'd him, he played for Montreal after all!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

You're right Nolakanookie, but then again, who didn't "toss(ed) Milbury around more times than you could shake a stick at."... Actually, Milbury was a decent sized D in his day, so few were able to literally throw him around, though many could beat him in a fight, assuming of course that Milbury was willing to go in the first place. To me and many others, Milbury was a complete phony who defined the term "paper tiger"...90% bluster, a guy who waited 'til the linesman came in, then started yelling and pointing fingers at the other club's tough guy...that's why Garden fans booed him. He said he could never understand why he was booed at home...well that's the main reason. Overall, not a bad 4th-5th defenseman, but not a tough guy, at least not after his rookie season when he took on everyone to get himself established (1975-76) and did okay. After that, he kind of faked being tough. I can still hear the groan from the Garden crowd after Big Larry had had enough of Milbury's fraudulence...Milbury had no choice but to go, and Larry hit him with an upper cut you'd never forget if you saw it. Milbury stayed on his feet, but that was the last punch of a very short fight. Of course, Big Larry...who didn't fight often...also totally demolished Phliars good Dave Schultz when he was in his hey-day...end of story there too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Sorry not Nilan, as by the time he came to B's, he was basically done, injured most of the time. Nilan did most of his damage in Boston while a "student" at NU. He'd walk into bars in the worst part of the city just to beat guys up. Then he'd leave via the same car that had dropped him off out front. A real beauty, that Nilan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Sometime during '87-'88 season, when O'Reilly was in his first year as coach of the B's...the B's and Canadiens put on the Garden's last bench-clearing brawl. While most of the action took place in the runway that went past the Bruins bench to the Montreal dressing room, the best massacre this side of Jonathan-Bouchard (Dec., 1977) took place across the ice. Little Nevin Markwart took on the loathed 6 foot, 3 inch, 220 pound and reknowned turtler, Claude The Fraud Lemieux, who undoubtedly thought dwarf Nevin would be easy pickin's. Markwart mighty-moused Lemiuex, ambushing him with the fastest series of punches and beat him up so badly...the Garden crowd howled like it hadn't since Jonathan did similar to Canadiens giant Pierre Bouchard 11 years earlier. The shame of it is that tv cameras failed to capture Markwart's destruction of Lemieux, as they were too focused on Coach O'Reilly holding off Canadien Mike McPhee to prevent him from going down the runway behind the B's bench to get into it with others. (I've had to clean this up to get it through Globe online sensors, ridiculous IMHO.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

I saw Markwart fight in a pre-season game one time too, he was a tough guy for a small player. i remember one playoff series where The Habs called up Scott Fletcher and during the game he squared off with Byers while Miller took on Kordic, the CBC coverage showed both fights on a split screen complete with commentary, it was probably one of the best fights I ever watched, I also recall Bob Sweeney kiccking the snot out of Craig Ludwig on the next shift.

I taped the game and watched the fights over and over. Ahhhhhh memories, good times!

Nice to have a discussion without all the negativity!