Gagne To Tampa?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToughestOfAllTime. Show ToughestOfAllTime's posts

Gagne To Tampa?

Eklund is claiming its a done deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Gagne To Tampa?

3% chance then...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327890

TSN/RDS says it's so...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

In Response to Gagne To Tampa?:
    Eklund is claiming its a done deal.
    Posted by ToughestOfAllTime

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327890

Beat me to it, stanjonathan17!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Here is the full story.  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327890

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://twitter.com/DNFlyers "Flyers source confirms Simon Gagne has indeed been traded to Tampa Bay. Waiting to hear on the return."

I stand corrected!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa?:
    http://twitter.com/DNFlyers "Flyers source confirms Simon Gagne has indeed been traded to Tampa Bay. Waiting to hear on the return." I stand corrected!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Looks like Mike Smith and prospects.  It also looks like the Lightning are in the market for a No. 1 goalie.  There had been rumors of interest in TT previously.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74 "with goalie Mike Smith headed to Philly as part of return."

It's from Murphy so we'll see...So Dan Ellis all by himself down in Tampa or let the new "Thomas to Tampa" trade thread start up...Yzerman still has 15Mil left to spend...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Looks like Mike Smith and prospects.  It also looks like the Lightning are in the market for a No. 1 goalie.  There had been rumors of interest in TT previously.Posted by RickyHussle

kuklaskorner  RT @erlendssontrib: To conflict some reports already starting to surface Mike Smith is not part of the Gagne deal, no goaltenders...

Darn it all to heck no new "TT to Tampa" thread...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Looks like the trade flood gates did open once Kovalchuk got traded.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Matt Walker and a 4th round pick..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

Gagne For Matt Walker and a 4th round in 2011. essentially peanuts. matt walker is pretty tough customer though, he'll look good in orange and white. i think stevie y is doing a pretty good job so far in tampa, assuming that lemon gagne can stay healthy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

One day, GM's will realize that bodyguards are not nearly as valuable as the players they are assigned to protect.

This trade is atrocious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

With no Gagne, Philly loses to Boston in game 4.

Did they think it was coincidence that the team went from night to day upon his return?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

This is exactly what I hate about old school brute thinking.

I would take Gagne over any player that "goes into the corners and keeps it simple".  Why do we live in a world where guys who keep it simple are valued infinitely higher than creative goal-scorers?

Also, there are hundreds of NHL wannabe's that play in the corners and keep it simple.  There are less than 15 nhl players with gagne's touch.

Hmmmmm........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

This is exactly what I hate about old school brute thinking. I would take Gagne over any player that "goes into the corners and keeps it simple".  Why do we live in a world where guys who keep it simple are valued infinitely higher than creative goal-scorers? Also, there are hundreds of NHL wannabe's that play in the corners and keep it simple.  There are less than 15 nhl players with gagne's touch. Hmmmmm........
    Posted by Drewski5

Drew, some of this is true, but at the same time, playoff hockey is old school hockey.. Notice how poorly many of the "high" flying teams have faired in the playoffs, including some of the mid 90's detriot teams etc.. the game changes, space is smaller..

Boston and Philly were probably the 2 most physical teams in the east.. Buffalo, washingoton not known for that style of play didn't fair as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Drew, some of this is true, but at the same time, playoff hockey is old school hockey.. Notice how poorly many of the "high" flying teams have faired in the playoffs, including some of the mid 90's detriot teams etc.. the game changes, space is smaller.. Boston and Philly were probably the 2 most physical teams in the east.. Buffalo, washingoton not known for that style of play didn't fair as well.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I see your point.

You know who else did well in the playoffs, though?  GAGNE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Yeah, but thats all about balance.. They were able to win when they added some production, chicago was able to win when they matched philly's play with Byfuglien..

If I am tampa, I would be looking a little harder to add some grit..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Which is insanely easy.  There are enough S. Thornton's to go around!  Every NHL team and every AHL team has one.

(no offense s. thornton, you're the man)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Which is insanely easy.  There are enough S. Thornton's to go around!  Every NHL team and every AHL team has one. (no offense s. thornton, you're the man)
    Posted by Drewski5

Ehh, thorntons play is underrated, he puts up his 10-12 minutes a game, and while he may not contribute much offensively, he is far from a liability that some of the enforcers can be.. But I wasnt talking enforcers as much as gritty hard players (richards, lucic, pronger can all fall under that)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

with Pronger Carle Timonen O'Donnell Coburn and Meszaros i dont even see where matt walker will fit in, 7th D i guess. Philly just had a little excess merchandise in gagne that had to go. good salary dump if nothing else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Ehh, thorntons play is underrated, he puts up his 10-12 minutes a game, and while he may not contribute much offensively, he is far from a liability that some of the enforcers can be.. But I wasnt talking enforcers as much as gritty hard players (richards, lucic, pronger can all fall under that)
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I used thornton because of a lack of other examples.  im more of a boston sports fan than a pure hockey fan.  my hockey knowledge comes nothing close to yours.  you dont need to defend s.thornton to me.  i celebrated when he was resigned.

What i do understand though is economics.  And one of the things that determines worth in any free-market (including the nhl) is "replacability".  I agree that a team needs gritty players, but it also needs goal scorers.  And goal scorers who are as talented as Gagne, are NOT replacable.  This makes his value higher than a #5 defenseman and a 4th.

Holding all other variables (players) constant, a team with gagne has a better chance to win the cup than a team without gagne.  Some people are of the mindset that he is of minimal valvue because he doesnt fight.  Thats what i hate.

Also, why are we so quick to classify gagne as "non-gritty".  Didnt he score 4 goals in 3 games against boston with a broken foot?

You dont need to be huge / extremely strong to be a great hockey player.   Im pissed because ive fantasized and dreamt of having Gagne in a spoked B.  Its quite frustrating to see him this undervalued.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : I used thornton because of a lack of other examples.  im more of a boston sports fan than a pure hockey fan.  my hockey knowledge comes nothing close to yours.  you dont need to defend s.thornton to me.  i celebrated when he was resigned. What i do understand though is economics.  And one of the things that determines worth in any free-market (including the nhl) is "replacability".  I agree that a team needs gritty players, but it also needs goal scorers.  And goal scorers who are as talented as Gagne, are NOT replacable.  This makes his value higher than a #5 defenseman and a 4th. Holding all other variables (players) constant, a team with gagne has a better chance to win the cup than a team without gagne.  Some people are of the mindset that he is of minimal valvue because he doesnt fight.  Thats what i hate. Also, why are we so quick to classify gagne as "non-gritty".  Didnt he score 4 goals in 3 games against boston with a broken foot? You dont need to be huge / extremely strong to be a great hockey player.   Im pissed because ive fantasized and dreamt of having Gagne in a spoked B.  Its quite frustrating to see him this undervalued.
    Posted by Drewski5

Nah his value is just connected to his injury history, Philly's got there core, and hes not a part of it, doesn't fit their team identity either.. For tampa, with cap room he is one of the best offensive players available, the threat of him missing time with injury is less of an issue than that of a team that is cap tight obviously.

I would have thought the bruins would have applied similar logic to ferrence while his contract is on par with his play, we can't afford to be paying a guy missing time.. If you tell me his contract is based on him playing 70% of the time, that means we would expect him to earn 3.2.. I don't buy that, but if thats the case Id rather find a guy who is 80% the player and no were going to get full value..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

Gagne was traded for cap relief and personally i'd rather have Gagne than Zherdev. The problem with Gagne has never been lack of sand-paper its his inability to stay healthy. at some point a good player who cannot stay healthy ceases to be a good player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

How do you know his injury hasnt been bad luck? He's had 3 seasons where he missed time.  That is an extremely small sample to use, especially when you are writing off one of the best shots in the NHL.

Last year, he had a broken foot.  That could have happened to anybody.  I think last year was bad luck.  Also, he proved that toughness wasnt the issue last year.

If his broken foot is healing in a bizarre fashion, or isnt healing on schedule....then i agree....But if he is healthy going into camp, i disagree that his value has been decreased to a #5 defenseman and a 4th, just because he had an unfotunate inicident last year.

Beware the small sample.  If Gagne is healthy right now, he's really not an injury risk.  3 accidents can very well be bad luck.  I know last year's was.