Gagne To Tampa?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Gagne To Tampa?

If I was a GM, I would deduce his ability to stay healthy using doctors and x-rays.  I wouldnt say "he cant stay healthy" just because he suffered an accident last year.  Now if he does have something funky going on, and the team doctors are doubting his ability to stay healthy, that's another story.

But he will play w a broken foot , so its not a toughness issue, and he will score goals.  So if the doctor's say he's healthy, he's a top notch wing in this league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa?:
    How do you know his injury hasnt been bad luck? He's had 3 seasons where he missed time.  That is an extremely small sample to use, especially when you are writing off one of the best shots in the NHL. Last year, he had a broken foot.  That could have happened to anybody.  I think last year was bad luck.  Also, he proved that toughness wasnt the issue last year. If his broken foot is healing in a bizarre fashion, or isnt healing on schedule....then i agree....But if he is healthy going into camp, i disagree that his value has been decreased to a #5 defenseman and a 4th, just because he had an unfotunate inicident last year. Beware the small sample.  If Gagne is healthy right now, he's really not an injury risk.  3 accidents can very well be bad luck.  I know last year's was.
    Posted by Drewski5

but drew, your a numbers guy, if your company has to liquidate assets your not looking for an equal return on value, your looking for the best return you can get in a short amount of time.. Need probably wasn't dire, but Philly proved to need defensive depth in the play offs, and needed cap relief.. I don't know much about walker, but I am guessing, "problem solved"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : but drew, your a numbers guy, if your company has to liquidate assets your not looking for an equal return on value, your looking for the best return you can get in a short amount of time.. Need probably wasn't dire, but Philly proved to need defensive depth in the play offs, and needed cap relief.. I don't know much about walker, but I am guessing, "problem solved"
    Posted by rolerhoky19

True.  But there comes a time when you have to say, I'm just not getting good return on this asset, so I'm better off keeping it.

This usually happens when you try to sell a quality asset in a trough; hence the phrase, "dont sell low"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Looks like Phily did well in salary dump on Gagne.. plain and simple and now looks like they might have money relief to sign Turco/ Theodore to a contract...or maybe Thomas ?  Gagne was making 5 mil right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

With no Gagne, Philly loses to Boston in game 4. Did they think it was coincidence that the team went from night to day upon his return?
    Posted by Drewski5

Yeah -maybe

Then again...maybe the Flyers don't win that series without Richards destroying Krejci

Truth is you need both elements to be successful

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Philly got smoked on this deal.  The best they could get was a spare defenseman and a crappy pick?  If the teams would keep their mouths shut and just make deals, they'd get so much more for their players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Anyone else distrubed by Drew's fascination w/ Simon Gagne?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What I'm not looking forward to is Flyer fan saying "Homer's a genius!  We made the Cup finals, so I think he knows more than you about building a team!"

Holmgren picked up Clarke's philosophy, which is not giving a flying fig what you get back for a guy you want gone.  Just find someone to take his contract so you can go get someone you want.  In simple terms, I think Philly is worse today and Tampa Bay is better - neither by slim margins.  Yeah, this is a cap thing, and yeah, Zherdev's days off might not amount to more games than Gagne's injury time, but Gagne's got pedigree.

NJ is just poorer.  And better prepared for next summer when Marty decides to hang 'em up before his game completely deserts him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Drew u said urself, ur hockey knowledge is mostly relegated to the Bruins, so it sounds like ur sampling of Gagne is what u saw this yrs playoffs and maybe some other articles. He is a solid 2nd liner when healthy, nothing more. But at some point, the investment does not equal the return (Phi had this same experince w/ Forsberg). Maybe he gets over the hump health wise, it just seems Phi thinks he wont and dumped his salary.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Drew u said urself, ur hockey knowledge is mostly relegated to the Bruins, so it sounds like ur sampling of Gagne is what u saw this yrs playoffs and maybe some other articles. He is a solid 2nd liner when healthy, nothing more. But at some point, the investment does not equal the return (Phi had this same experince w/ Forsberg). Maybe he gets over the hump health wise, it just seems Phi thinks he wont and dumped his salary.  
    Posted by brandonboys1

Eh, I'd argue when healthy he is a top line player on most teams, all depends who you have in front of him..I mean he's a left wing, he'd probably play on the top line here right?   Even if he doesn't he would certainly out produce any of our LW, and most likely any of our wings...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

What I'm not looking forward to is Flyer fan saying "Homer's a genius!  We made the Cup finals, so I think he knows more than you about building a team!" Holmgren picked up Clarke's philosophy, which is not giving a flying fig what you get back for a guy you want gone.  Just find someone to take his contract so you can go get someone you want.  In simple terms, I think Philly is worse today and Tampa Bay is better - neither by slim margins.  Yeah, this is a cap thing, and yeah, Zherdev's days off might not amount to more games than Gagne's injury time, but Gagne's got pedigree. NJ is just poorer.  And better prepared for next summer when Marty decides to hang 'em up before his game completely deserts him.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I don't know any Flyers fans who are happy with this trade. It's a salary dump, period.  As a Flyers' fan friend of mine said, "I can understand moving salary, but why HIM?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by brandonboys1

Show me a team with a 45 goal scorer on the second line, and I'll show you the Edmonton Oilers in the 80's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Show me a team with a 45 goal scorer on the second line, and I'll show you the Edmonton Oilers in the 80's.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Were those guys any good?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Show me a team with a 45 goal scorer on the second line, and I'll show you the Edmonton Oilers in the 80's.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Great point Nas! I also agree Philly got f^C&ed with no kiss big time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Eh, I'd argue when healthy he is a top line player on most teams, all depends who you have in front of him..I mean he's a left wing, he'd probably play on the top line here right?   Even if he doesn't he would certainly out produce any of our LW, and most likely any of our wings...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QU

He won't be ahead of Marty St. Louis thats for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gagne To Tampa? : Eh, I'd argue when healthy he is a top line player on most teams, all depends who you have in front of him..I mean he's a left wing, he'd probably play on the top line here right?   Even if he doesn't he would certainly out produce any of our LW, and most likely any of our wings... Posted by rolerhoky19[/QU He won't be ahead of Marty St. Louis thats for sure.
    Posted by brandonboys1

St Louis plays with stamkos.. so I guess Gagne has to settle for Lecavalier?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Doubt Gagne will ever score 20 goals again, don't care who he plays with. He's a 2nd liner at this stage of his career. (And based on production so is Lecavalier, but whatever, i digress)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Doubt Gagne will ever score 20 goals again, don't care who he plays with. He's a 2nd liner at this stage of his career. (And based on production so is Lecavalier, but whatever, i digress)
    Posted by brandonboys1

so for as much as you found drew's love for Simon questionable, you seemingly have the utmost distain for the guy, he wont score 20 again?  you just make this stuff up? he put up 17 this year in 58 games, and well at 9 in 19 in the play offs, 34 the previous season..He may never score 40 again but he is certainly a threat for 30 plus this season if he stays healthy..

I also have a feeling some of these moves will ignite Vinnie to play more like the player he is capable of.. If not though I would settle for 70 point production from our second line center...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

For the love of God! I don't think anything in my post resembles "utmost disdain" for the guy. I was joking w/ Drewskie b/c he had posted something bout "fantasizing" and losing sleep over Gagne.  I just don't think health wise he's anything to get worked up over. My argument was not about talent, it was about health. He's a solid player when healthy. U said ur self, "if he stays healthy then 30". Well its a huge if in my book and i believe the reason Phi dumped him.  I believe he tops out at 20 for the remainder, maybe I'm wrong. He's in Tampa now, so i don't really care.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

One day, GM's will realize that bodyguards are not nearly as valuable as the players they are assigned to protect. This trade is atrocious.
    Posted by Drewski5

Beat me to it Drewski5. Amen to that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Posted by brandonboys1

I'll take that bet. You're forgetting which division Tampa plays in!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Philly had to make this deal...no choice....point blank had to make the deal...they are so far above the cap its not funny...Gagne was the obvious choice to go...Philly is still stacked especially with their young core guys and the defense they have is sick.  It was a cap move similar to Chicago and what they  did.  Now Philly can sign Asham and Powe and still have 3 solid lines.  They had to make this move.  Bottom line.  It wasnt about Walker for Gagne.   It was about cap relief

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

From Gagne's mouth :
    He's sad to be leaving Philly but excited to be playing with fellow Quebecers in Tampa.  He's also looking forward playing under new coach and GM Stevie Y .
    Too bad I would have liked seeing him in a Bruin's uniform although seemed very unlikely as time passed. Flyers were just stuck ,  over the cap.  I just can't believe Philly couldn't get a better draft pick. Just a very bad trade,  they could have dangled him a little longer and I think they could have gotten better.
    Drew,  correct,  if Gagne doesn't come back Bruins win that series.
    The good news Tampa plays in Boston twice and that's two more games free !!!
    Next you watch the Devils unleash some of their salary. I say Clarkson is next.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

How about Mark Recchi this year?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Its a bad trade for sure....but Philly wanted to keep Carter more...and Philly is a very good young team...with one of the best defense group in the league,...they likely trade a dman and sign Asham/Powe and possibly Turco.

It should open up the doors on some more moves now...I won't even comment on the Kovy deal...but BS is right...someone has to go...maybe Elias to LA