How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Fan-In-MD. Show Bruins-Fan-In-MD's posts

How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?

I've never played hockey before, so I was just curious on your thoughts.

According to TSN.com, "Chiarelli said that Seguin, who played centre in juniors, fits in best at wing right now on the Bruins.  But you never know," Chiarelli said. "I've had discussions with (coach Claude Julien) about mixing and matching.".

Full Story:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329419

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

Re: How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?

In Response to How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?:
    [QUOTE]I've never played hockey before, so I was just curious on your thoughts. According to TSN.com, "Chiarelli said that Seguin, who played centre in juniors, fits in best at wing right now on the Bruins.  But you never know," Chiarelli said. "I've had discussions with (coach Claude Julien) about mixing and matching.". Full Story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329419
    Posted by Bruins-Fan-In-MD[/QUOTE]

Are the bruins getting an 4th Jersey with Sequins?  I bet it is pink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequin

Sequins are disk-shaped beads used for decorative purposes. They are available in a wide variety of colors and geometrical shapes. Sequins are commonly used on clothing, jewelry, bags and other accessories. Large sequins, fastened only at the top, have been used on billboards and other signage, particularly prior to the development of lighted and neon signs. Signs made with sequins were called schmaltz, as were the sequins themselves in that context.

Evidence exists that gold sequins were being used as decoration on clothing or paraphernalia in the Indus Valley as early as 2500BC , during the Kot Diji phase.

Although coins are still used as sequins in some cultures, modern sequins tend to be made of plastic. They may also be referred to as spangles, paillettes, or diamantes. Paillettes themselves are commonly very large and flat. Sequins may be stitched flat to the fabric, so that they do not move, and are less likely to fall off; or they may be stitched at only one point, so that they dangle and move easily, to catch more light. Some sequins are made with facets, to increase their reflective ability.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

thank you.  This mistake has been driving me nuts for months now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

What is Clyde-Fitch mumbling about?? To respond to the thread, Seguin has played wing as his career has progressed, so no problems expected. Pre-season will determine how players mesh with the current centers Savard/Kreji/Bergeron Campbell, and how they complement each other. Possibilities are:: Lucic/Kreji/Horton; Wheeler/Savard/Seguin; with Savard and Kreji being interchangeable. Followed by Ryder/Bergeron/Recchi and Paille/Campbell/Thornton; with Bergeron the potential to replace either Savard or Kreji. The melding of the lines is the responsibility of the coaching staff, however, in the past Julien has not been very flexible once he decides on lines. Two years ago Wheeler/Kreji/Ryder were dynamite, but last year both wingers, for whatever, were almost useless together. Horton and Seguin are new entities to evaluate, and Sturm's injury recovery time allows for some shifting and alternating.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?:
    [QUOTE]I've never played hockey before, so I was just curious on your thoughts. According to TSN.com, "Chiarelli said that Seguin, who played centre in juniors, fits in best at wing right now on the Bruins.  But you never know," Chiarelli said. "I've had discussions with (coach Claude Julien) about mixing and matching.". Full Story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329419
    Posted by Bruins-Fan-In-MD[/QUOTE]

Seguin has played wing in Junior, on either side, and has said he has no problem playing there.

It's actually an easier position (it's not unusual for young NHL centers to start out at wing; Bergeron did), as wings don't have the defensive responsibilities that centers do (sometime when you watch a game, spend a few shifts concentrating on what Krejci or Bergeron or Savard do in the Bruins' zone).

Offensively, center is where you want your playmakers (think Crosby, Savard or Toews). Wing is where you want your finishers (Kane, Ovechkin, Recchi). Seguin definitely has a talent for playmaking, but he also can put the puck in the net, and that's what the Bruins need right now.

Bottom line, it would be easier for him to ease his way into the NHL as a wing, and better for the Bruins because that fills a need. He can always move back to center in a year or three; he's not going to forget how to play the position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin? : Seguin has played wing in Junior, on either side, and has said he has no problem playing there. It's actually an easier position (it's not unusual for young NHL centers to start out at wing; Bergeron did), as wings don't have the defensive responsibilities that centers do (sometime when you watch a game, spend a few shifts concentrating on what Krejci or Bergeron or Savard do in the Bruins' zone). Offensively, center is where you want your playmakers (think Crosby, Savard or Toews). Wing is where you want your finishers (Kane, Ovechkin, Recchi). Seguin definitely has a talent for playmaking, but he also can put the puck in the net, and that's what the Bruins need right now. Bottom line, it would be easier for him to ease his way into the NHL as a wing, and better for the Bruins because that fills a need. He can always move back to center in a year or three; he's not going to forget how to play the position.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of this, the fact is the there is no point in him playing 4th line center, he is going to need more ice time and better team mates then that if he plays at the level the project him too.. As far as his development, if the idea is that he is a franchsie center, his time is much better spent at playing center.. Its a bigger transition and playing wing is not going to benefit him in the development of that position.. If he stays on wing soley, I doubt we see him switching back to center..

Kessel made the transition because he was a lousy center, bergeron was a solid player and him moving to wing was more an effort to allow him to play with better players and address a team need then him struggling to adjust to center.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin? : I agree with a lot of this, the fact is the there is no point in him playing 4th line center, he is going to need more ice time and better team mates then that if he plays at the level the project him too.. As far as his development, if the idea is that he is a franchsie center, his time is much better spent at playing center.. Its a bigger transition and playing wing is not going to benefit him in the development of that position.. If he stays on wing soley, I doubt we see him switching back to center.. Kessel made the transition because he was a lousy center, bergeron was a solid player and him moving to wing was more an effort to allow him to play with better players and address a team need then him struggling to adjust to center.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Your two paragraphs appear to contradict each other.

Seguin most probably will go the Bergeron route. Do I expect him to play wing for the rest of his career? It's possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's only 18 years old, remember. He could switch to center when he's 22, and he'd still be a very young player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin? : Your two paragraphs appear to contradict each other. Seguin most probably will go the Bergeron route. Do I expect him to play wing for the rest of his career? It's possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's only 18 years old, remember. He could switch to center when he's 22, and he'd still be a very young player.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

They are not contradicatory.. I believe he will play wing this year, as its a big need, and we are deep at center.  But I also believe he would be best served by continued development as a center.. Its a balance of team needs verse palyer development.. If the bruins were loaded at wing right now I think he would be going back to juniors, but we're not.. So he will probably play wing at the NHL level, though overall he would be best served (as would the future of the franchise) to continue to develop as a center if that is the teams long term vision.  Developing as a center on the 4th line though would not put the players around him he would need to succeed so i am against that.

If there are injuries to one of the top 3 guys he should fill that role, the differences from center to wing are subtle, but the difference from wing to center is much larger.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Way too much has been made of this.  And I think we're missing the OP's real question here, which is: C vs. W...so?  What does it actually mean in terms of what Seguin experiences if he's on the ice as a winger and not a centre.  Some of this is easy enough to answer.  He won't have to worry about taking face-offs very often.  He won't have to worry about being third-man high on offense or reading the play on both sides of the ice on defense.  He'll be able to be more aggressive (as far as CJ ever allows) on the forecheck and on offensive forays.
    Playing his natural wing, he'll receive the great majority of passes on his forehand and when he comes down the wing, he'll be in better position to carry the puck on the forehand and use his body to shield the puck.  More of the passes he'll make will be on the forehand.  His defensive responsibilities will centre on the ever-popular chipping out the hard-around pass to relieve pressure, and picking up pinching defensemen.  You'd think this would all make W an easier position, but Sobotka, among others, struggled with the transition.  Fewer risks also means fewer options, and when you're used to a 360 field of action, having roughly a third of your options nullified by the boards can be a huge limitation.

The other good thing about Seguin starting on the wing, in my view, is that he'll be in a trigger position and not a playmaker's role.  You want him to develop the most rounded game possible, and too many players who have playmaking ability lose the goalscorer's mentality.  One of the happiest lines I've read about Seguin is he's a eager to score as to set up goals for others - nurture that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Way too much has been made of this.  And I think we're missing the OP's real question here, which is: C vs. W...so?  What does it actually mean in terms of what Seguin experiences if he's on the ice as a winger and not a centre.  Some of this is easy enough to answer.  He won't have to worry about taking face-offs very often.  He won't have to worry about being third-man high on offense or reading the play on both sides of the ice on defense.  He'll be able to be more aggressive (as far as CJ ever allows) on the forecheck and on offensive forays. Playing his natural wing, he'll receive the great majority of passes on his forehand and when he comes down the wing, he'll be in better position to carry the puck on the forehand and use his body to shield the puck.  More of the passes he'll make will be on the forehand.  His defensive responsibilities will centre on the ever-popular chipping out the hard-around pass to relieve pressure, and picking up pinching defensemen.  You'd think this would all make W an easier position, but Sobotka, among others, struggled with the transition.  Fewer risks also means fewer options, and when you're used to a 360 field of action, having roughly a third of your options nullified by the boards can be a huge limitation. The other good thing about Seguin starting on the wing, in my view, is that he'll be in a trigger position and not a playmaker's role.  You want him to develop the most rounded game possible, and too many players who have playmaking ability lose the goalscorer's mentality.  One of the happiest lines I've read about Seguin is he's a eager to score as to set up goals for others - nurture that.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I was thinking sobotka much of the time, I think his issue was leading the rush as opposed to having the play develop in front of him..

Protecting the puck on the forehand, my only counter I always found it much easier to shield a puck carried on the backhand side.

But all in all I do agree about the defensive responsibilities being far easier on a wing then a center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

After further review, it turns out Tyler Seguin is a HUMAN!  He's not a dog.  You know when people have that dog that they feed from the table and there is nothing, and I mean nothing anyone can do to make him refrain from sitting next to you while you eat?  You know that dog that hears a doorbell and just starts barking and you can't teach it not to do so?  You know that dog...

Seguin is a human.  It's not as if playing on the wing is going to screw with his ability to play center.  He's not a dog.  He's a human. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's what Pavlov said....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Here's my take on the 2 positions, as I coached to Tyke level. The Center is always on (or after) the puck as well as supporting the player who is on the puck wherever it is. The Winger plays a zone area, and is expected to go head to head with the other team's Dman in both zones, (or a system like that). That is a very simplified explaination, but more or less explains it.

Obviously the Centerman's conditioning and understanding of the game is so important, so as to not be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. And, making sure you keep your head up so guys like Matt Cooke don't knock you into next year. 

This should simplify the game for him until gets use to the speed of the NHL game. He'll do fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

The problem I have with it, is he's still not developed as a center. He's only played there what, one year (against OHL talent)? Was he fabulous at it from an offensive stand-point? Sure he was. But with only one year under his belt in the middle, I would bet there are tons of situations that he is yet to experience; lots of offensive orientations that he hasn't handled before. I imagine he could have a lot to learn about playing the middle.

From a pressure stand-point, I don't know if the Bruins are going to be thrilled with him starting over in his sophomore season; making a new batch of mistakes when everyone will be expecting him to be taking on a more important role.

Now, all that being said, the Bruins still may not have a choice to put him anywhere else but the wing. 4th line center could do enough to mess with his development as would wing since trying to run plays with 4th line "talent" isn't exactly a recipe for success, he could develop bad habits.

I dunno, I suppose it is a dilemma, but my guess is Seguin is gonna be so good that people are gonna forget that he could be better in another position; it's gonna be nit-picking.

In the long run, I'd be shocked if he wasn't the bruins #1 center, but in the short term- it's anyones guess.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

2 words: Briere, Carter. 

Philly tried putting Briere on RW with Hartnell and Carter in the regular season, and it failed. They tried putting Carter with Gagne and Richards in the playoffs, and that didnt work out too well. Then what happened when they putt Briere back at his NATURAL POSITION in game 5 vs NJ? He went on to lead the NHL in playoff scoring.

Im not saying Seguin can't play wing. I just think he is better suited as a centerman. Id rather have bergeron play wing on seguins right side with wheeler or lucic on the left. I don't think Seguin is suited well by going into corner battles for pucks and going hard to the net for rebounds. He did a lot of damage from the high slot while with plymouth, as a center. I say if he is struggling and makking defensive mistakes at center, then move him to wing, but for now, Id rather see him play center

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]The problem I have with it, is he's still not developed as a center. He's only played there what, one year (against OHL talent)? Was he fabulous at it from an offensive stand-point? Sure he was. But with only one year under his belt in the middle, I would bet there are tons of situations that he is yet to experience; lots of offensive orientations that he hasn't handled before. I imagine he could have a lot to learn about playing the middle. From a pressure stand-point, I don't know if the Bruins are going to be thrilled with him starting over in his sophomore season; making a new batch of mistakes when everyone will be expecting him to be taking on a more important role. Now, all that being said, the Bruins still may not have a choice to put him anywhere else but the wing. 4th line center could do enough to mess with his development as would wing since trying to run plays with 4th line "talent" isn't exactly a recipe for success, he could develop bad habits. I dunno, I suppose it is a dilemma, but my guess is Seguin is gonna be so good that people are gonna forget that he could be better in another position; it's gonna be nit-picking. In the long run, I'd be shocked if he wasn't the bruins #1 center, but in the short term- it's anyones guess.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

This is kind of where my point was, putting him at wing does not develop him at center, even if he's played it before, were not putting him as #1-#3 because we have 3 current better, more developed centers, him not playing center wont change that even though he is projected to play at a higher level then any of these 3 players..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The kid is a natural center, apparently a very gifted one - Possibly the best one we have. Let's play him on the wing. That's called making the best of a bad situation. Someone is going to have to go -do the math. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The kid is a natural center, apparently a very gifted one - Possibly the best one we have. Let's play him on the wing. That's called making the best of a bad situation. Someone is going to have to go -do the math. 
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Making the best of a bad situation ? I wouldn't consider having Savard ,Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin a bad situation. One might eventually exit via the trade route but calling it a bad situation when having an abundance of quality centermen is a curious choice of words. Placing Seguin on the wing until something is done is a viable option . In case you missed it there have been a gazillion posts stating that Seguin can play the wing. There are 29 other teams in the NHL that wish they had this 'bad situation'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]2 words: Briere, Carter.  Philly tried putting Briere on RW with Hartnell and Carter in the regular season, and it failed. They tried putting Carter with Gagne and Richards in the playoffs, and that didnt work out too well. Then what happened when they putt Briere back at his NATURAL POSITION in game 5 vs NJ? He went on to lead the NHL in playoff scoring. Im not saying Seguin can't play wing. I just think he is better suited as a centerman. Id rather have bergeron play wing on seguins right side with wheeler or lucic on the left. I don't think Seguin is suited well by going into corner battles for pucks and going hard to the net for rebounds. He did a lot of damage from the high slot while with plymouth, as a center. I say if he is struggling and makking defensive mistakes at center, then move him to wing, but for now, Id rather see him play center
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

Just wondering about all the details you are giving about Seguin's play in the high slot , going hard to the net and corner work. You must have seen Seguin play quite a bit .I'd like to find out more about his play in Plymouth if you're willing to share some more info with us . Please give us more of your knowledge of his strengths and weaknesses you have witnessed. Thankyou.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

All you coaching wannabees need to take a turn working with the Tykes/squirts/peewees to have some perspective of having Seguin make the jump to NHL center. His skill set indicates that he has all the tools to be an NHL center once he learns the NHL game. He does that by starting on the wing and acquiring more perspectives on NHL strategies, speed, reactions etc. He also has to learn what CJ expects him to do as one new cog in the team. Savard is not a shut down center, Bergeron is and also knows when to counter or just attack.. Kreji is close to being capable of offense and shutdown with his speed and puck control. These are Seguin's tutors, and he can observe and learn from each of them. Some comments, from the development camp, indicated that Colborne was closer than Seguin to an NHL ready center.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]All you coaching wannabees need to take a turn working with the Tykes/squirts/peewees to have some perspective of having Seguin make the jump to NHL center. His skill set indicates that he has all the tools to be an NHL center once he learns the NHL game. He does that by starting on the wing and acquiring more perspectives on NHL strategies, speed, reactions etc. He also has to learn what CJ expects him to do as one new cog in the team. Savard is not a shut down center, Bergeron is and also knows when to counter or just attack.. Kreji is close to being capable of offense and shutdown with his speed and puck control. These are Seguin's tutors, and he can observe and learn from each of them. Some comments, from the development camp, indicated that Colborne was closer than Seguin to an NHL ready center.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

And playing on wing may adjust him to the NHL, but it wont adjust him to being closer to being an NHL ready center, not at the same rate of continuing to play center..

If he is on wing, krejci, bergeron and savard will not be his mentors unless they are mixing up where he plays on a near daily basis, if they put him on wing he will be talking to either a his line mates about where he should be as a winger, or talking to other wingers about how x drill is run, or why someone did this etc..

The difference in developing pro level elite athletes and squirts is huge, I wouldn't be calling anyone out for their opinions or ideas with such a flawed logic..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Lucic-Savard- Seguin

Center or wing Seguin must start out of the gate with Savard or Krejci.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

As to bogie, the only person on these boards with coaching experience?

Managing your squirt C team provides you insight as to what position Tyler Seguin should play on the Bruins?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would playing wing instead of center affect Sequin? : Making the best of a bad situation ? I wouldn't consider having Savard ,Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin a bad situation. One might eventually exit via the trade route but calling it a bad situation when having an abundance of quality centermen is a curious choice of words. Placing Seguin on the wing until something is done is a viable option . In case you missed it there have been a gazillion posts stating that Seguin can play the wing. There are 29 other teams in the NHL that wish they had this 'bad situation'.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Personally, if it were up to me I'd rather have a legit NHL threat on the wing rather than 5 centers. I know that kind of logic is challenging for you- but we could trade a center to get help on the wing and solve this issue - and help the team get better. If the math is hard, you might try a calculator.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]2 words: Briere, Carter.  Philly tried putting Briere on RW with Hartnell and Carter in the regular season, and it failed. They tried putting Carter with Gagne and Richards in the playoffs, and that didnt work out too well. Then what happened when they putt Briere back at his NATURAL POSITION in game 5 vs NJ? He went on to lead the NHL in playoff scoring. Im not saying Seguin can't play wing. I just think he is better suited as a centerman. Id rather have bergeron play wing on seguins right side with wheeler or lucic on the left. I don't think Seguin is suited well by going into corner battles for pucks and going hard to the net for rebounds. He did a lot of damage from the high slot while with plymouth, as a center. I say if he is struggling and makking defensive mistakes at center, then move him to wing, but for now, Id rather see him play center
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

I like him at center also,but he does not have NHL legs,speed yet.His +/- would be horrible.You cant put him on 3rd 4th line,just as well put him back in juniors .Put him with Krejci or Savard and let him brake in the NHL easier and also net him a few goals.