I don't know what you people are so upset about

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimreefa. Show grimreefa's posts

I don't know what you people are so upset about

I a Caps fan living in Lowell, and I listen to sports talk radio while I'm driving to and from work, and all I heard for a week and a half was how you guys wanted revenge on the Penguins.

Revenge by beating them?  Don't be ridiculous.  No one is this state gives two craps whether their hockey team wins or loses.  More on that later.  No, you wanted to beat Cooke up and take Crosby out for good measure.  You said you wanted to see "fight", but what you meant was that you wanted to see "fights".  And that's what you got - Thornton beat up Cooke pretty decent.  Chara, bad finger and all, took on the biggest guy on the opposition.

Taking out Crosby was a stupid idea.  Let's say that dream came true, and Chara whacked Crosby with his stick and broke his leg.  What then?  Is it over?

Or does Pittsburgh come back next year and go after the guy you're going to take with that juicy Toronto pick this spring?  You know, the guy who is going to mean more to the future of your franchise than any two players currently on the roster combined.

So you got everything you asked for that was realistic.  Not happy your team lost 3-0?  What did you expect?  The Penguins are OBSESSED with winning.  As are the Capitals, Devils, Sharks, Red Wings and Blackhawks.  If you go into a game against any of these teams with anything but winning the game on your minds, you're going to get run off the ice.  It's a credit to the Bruins that they didn't get beat 9-2, like the Canucks did when they went after Steve Moore back in '04.  This team had one directive from its fanbase and local media - beat people up.  After the fact is a little bit late to be caring about the final score.

You people are stuck in the 1970s - you guys and the Flyers fans.  Chipping and checking, beating people up - that might have been how you won back in the days of Orr and Labonte, but in the post Gretzsky era, its skill that wins games.  Hell, it was always skill that won out most of the time - that's why the Canadiens have owned you for the entire history of the rivalry.  But now skill is paramount.  And you were glad as could be when you traded away your only skill guy this past offseason - he didn't fit the "Bruins model", after all - but you're shocked that your team doesn't score goals anymore?  Come on.

Any coincidence, you think, that the last time you or the Flyers have won a Cup was the 1970s?  If that's what you think, you might want to think harder.

Hockey is about more than beating people up.  And until you people understand that, that's all the Bruins are going to be good for.  A fight here, a fight there, and a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit, every time.

By the way, I'm sick to death of this team being described as "heartless".  Milan Lucic is being held together by duct tape, at this point.  Chara's finger is about to fall off.  Yet the team leads the league in penalty killing - what could be a greater demonstration of a team's heart than going out and stopping the other team from scoring when you're short-handed? - and is hanging on to the final playoff spot for dear life.  Heart is all the Bruins have.  What you need is guys who can score goals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

Re: I don't know what you people are so upset about

Seriously...come back when Ovechkin gets taken out for the rest of the season by a cheap shot, or when the Caps roll around the basement. There's a few out there that thought someone should take Crosby out, but the majority are against it (there's always a few right?), what we wanted was a tough physical game, what we got was a total let down. We have good goal tending, that's the only reason the PK stats are good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Go back and watch some highlights from fights in the 70's.

That little dance between Cooke and Thornton would have got both 2 minutes each for roughing back in '78, when hockey was hockey, and the 10 minute misconduct to Thornton was just laughable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BergysStache. Show BergysStache's posts

1) The Bruins may not have won a Stanley Cup since 1971-72, but the Caps joined the league two years later and have only been to the finals once in that stretch. The Bruins can at least say they played runner-up five times.

2) Despite the fact that I do not care which team you affiliate yourself with, or the fact that you do make some good, well thought out points, I refuse to take anyone seriously who calls themselves a "hockey fan" and uses the word "Gretzsky" in the same post.

And yes, you would say the same thing if someone wrote "Ovechken"

3) "What you need is guys who can score goals" -- Ok... despite that Gretzsky foul-up, can't refute that one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

As a Cap fan I can understand why you do not know the History of the Bruins.  It is not that we wanted to just see fights we wanted to see some fight in the team.  If we had played an inspired game like we did against Dallas last year I think we would all be happy.  It is not the lack of injuries but the lack of effort that is sooooo troubling to us Bruins fans.  I remember during the eighties a Whalers player cheap shotted a Bruin and the fights started and we lost the game due to the penalties but we turned around and beat them for the next 10 straight games.  If the group of individuals with a spoked B on their sweater had played hard last night I think us fans could have accepted that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimreefa. Show grimreefa's posts

In Response to Re: I don't know what you people are so upset about:
    Seriously...come back when Ovechkin gets taken out for the rest of the season by a cheap shot, or when the Caps roll around the basement. There's a few out there that thought someone should take Crosby out, but the majority are against it (there's always a few right?), what we wanted was a tough physical game, what we got was a total let down. We have good goal tending, that's the only reason the PK stats are good.
    Posted by deejm2112

The Caps WERE in the basement, in the seasons straddling the lockout.  Like any other team, they had their share of tough guys - Chris Simon comes to mind - but they couldn't get anywhere.  So they sold offf their assets and modeled their rebuilding project on the most successful franchise in the league over the last two decades - the Detroit Red Wings, who, I should point out, are at the bottom of the league in fighting majors year in and year out.  The Caps went after skill players - Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green - guys who can make you pay where it matters - on the scoreboard.  That's why the Caps don't have to worry about cheap shots, because any team stupid enough to take them is going to be dismantled by the league's best power play unit.  There is no hockey player that can't take a beating.  But to be embarassed - that's what they want to avoid at all costs.

And if the majority of Bruins fans didn't want Crosby's head, they were the silent majority.  Most of what I heard was the opposite.  If you want to see a good, talented team that doesn't live on cheap shots and retribution and if you think that Slapshot was a movie, and not a franchise model, then you need to speak up, and not to me.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and the squeaky wheels in Boston want a team of goons and not much else.

And as for the goaltending - if the only reason the PK is good is because of the goaltending, then why isn't Buffalo #1?  Or Vancouver?  Or San Jose?  Why is Chicago #5?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimreefa. Show grimreefa's posts

1) The Bruins may not have won a Stanley Cup since 1971-72, but the Caps joined the league two years later and have only been to the finals once in that stretch. The Bruins can at least say they played runner-up five times. 2) Despite the fact that I do not care which team you affiliate yourself with, or the fact that you do make some good, well thought out points, I refuse to take anyone seriously who calls themselves a "hockey fan" and uses the word "Gretzsky" in the same post. And yes, you would say the same thing if someone wrote "Ovechken" 3) "What you need is guys who can score goals" -- Ok... despite that Gretzsky foul-up, can't refute that one.
    Posted by BergysStache

I'm not going to argue that the Capitals have a lousy team history.  Frankly, I think most teams on the East Coast tried the same Philly/Boston approach to team building for years and the result is the current set-up where most of the powerhouse teams are in the Western Conference.  But since the Capitals put the emphasis on skill at the expense of all else, they've skyrocketed up the standings, and now along with Pittsburgh and New Jersey, who went their own way with the trap, are the only teams from the East that are serious Cup contenders.

Oh, and feel free to spell Ovechkin however you please, since the actual spelling has a backwards N and what appears to be the number 4 in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Hey junior ... you're not supposed to be using the computer until you finsh your homework.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

In Response to Re: I don't know what you people are so upset about : The Caps WERE in the basement, in the seasons straddling the lockout.  Like any other team, they had their share of tough guys - Chris Simon comes to mind - but they couldn't get anywhere.  So they sold offf their assets and modeled their rebuilding project on the most successful franchise in the league over the last two decades - the Detroit Red Wings, who, I should point out, are at the bottom of the league in fighting majors year in and year out.  The Caps went after skill players - Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green - guys who can make you pay where it matters - on the scoreboard.  That's why the Caps don't have to worry about cheap shots, because any team stupid enough to take them is going to be dismantled by the league's best power play unit.  There is no hockey player that can't take a beating.  But to be embarassed - that's what they want to avoid at all costs. And if the majority of Bruins fans didn't want Crosby's head, they were the silent majority.  Most of what I heard was the opposite.  If you want to see a good, talented team that doesn't live on cheap shots and retribution and if you think that Slapshot was a movie, and not a franchise model, then you need to speak up, and not to me.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and the squeaky wheels in Boston want a team of goons and not much else. And as for the goaltending - if the only reason the PK is good is because of the goaltending, then why isn't Buffalo #1?  Or Vancouver?  Or San Jose?  Why is Chicago #5?
    Posted by grimreefa

Hopefully everybodys team spends some time in the basement, and I'm sure you were upset about it, and I'm sure, if this it was the Caps instead of Bruins, you'd want something done, I'm not one of those guys that think we should have run at Crosby and I've seen several say the same thing..

Caps in place of Bruins....would you be pi$$ed off at last nights game? Be honest, I was shaking my head, not because we didn't beat the cr*p out of them, but because they played with very little passion, surely some player were healthy, and it was pi$$ poor hockey.

I miss the old time big bad Bruins, that's what I grew up on as a kid, but I agree, that doesn't fly today, the more successful team is better rounded, but the moves made by management, ticket prices, and consistent poor play doesn't give them a free pass, and considering last season it's a bit tougher to take.

As far as PPGA- 2 goals separate the the top ten teams, TT and Rask combo is exceptional, and it's a near certified miracle given the porous defense and it's ability to give the puck away (you were watching last night...right?).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: I don't know what you people are so upset about : I'm not going to argue that the Capitals have a lousy team history.  Frankly, I think most teams on the East Coast tried the same Philly/Boston approach to team building for years and the result is the current set-up where most of the powerhouse teams are in the Western Conference.  But since the Capitals put the emphasis on skill at the expense of all else, they've skyrocketed up the standings, and now along with Pittsburgh and New Jersey, who went their own way with the trap, are the only teams from the East that are serious Cup contenders. Oh, and feel free to spell Ovechkin however you please, since the actual spelling has a backwards N and what appears to be the number 4 in it.
    Posted by grimreefa

Since when were you named the chief of the grammar police? 

We (Bruins fans) didn't just want to see fights.  We wanted to see Matt Cooke get his face beaten into the ice.  He fought Thornton less than 2 minutes into the game, and then what?  He went another 18 shifts without even getting a finger laid on him.  When arguably your best player is injured for the rest of the season and you don't even muster up enough energy to respond, you lose the respect of your fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A Caps fan is writing in these spaces.  OMG, get a clue and a goalie.  If you lost your best player, ahhhh what's his name, then me thinks you would stink.  At least Pittsburgh has a decent goalie.  If we talk about your team history, then we would have to talk of finishing last or that you drafted Bobby Carpenter.  Endless decades of poor finishes and no real team until recently.  End of the story!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

NJ has won 3 cups as one the most physical team in the league thru this time. Det had Probert to protect Yzer.

Pit had a far more physical team than Was and that is why they got to the cup last year. Physical does not mean fighting it means hitting and if you have to back it up you do.

The B's are not being their high flying physical, that brought a lot of jumpers back to the bandwagon last year, they are playing lifeless hockey lead by the cj turn the other cheek guy, which is funny the opposite is what kept him in hockey thru his career.

On Cooke and Avery and scum like them, they would not be walking around with their smug mugs, you don't take the penalty but challenge them every time they step on the ice, in hockey harrasment is not a penalty and you make them feel like they have a stalker and punish them every time they have the puck. Then you target the stars on the other team. I am not talking about dirty shots or head hunting, but the extra rub the extra lumber, the physical play that lets them know that they will feel it every time they step on the ice as well, the same that Lemieux faced every time he stepped on the ice.

About not being tough, Mon, NYI, Edm andPit had the tough players to back up their stars thru the 80 and 90's. Every team that has won has a guy they will use if required. Dig a little deeper and you will see that every team has had the tough guys to back up their team. Thorn won a cup, so he should know his job more than he does, but I put this onus on cj taking the heart and life out of this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Zilla that is so true about the 10 mins, the refs and Colie were out to stop what could have been and should have been a fight filled game for the B's to come out of this with their heads up even with a loss. Had B score instead of hitting 2 posts the outcome of the game would have been a lot different.

Thorn wanted to try to get things going but the 10 mins took him out of the entire 1st period and then cj called them off as a soft goal had the B's down and they were never in it again.  cj uncoached them out of a game.

If you are going to be in a game with physicallity taking hooking penalties or a too many men(coaching) is not the way to go about it. A kneeing penalty when it should have been a great hit (Begin was a Cooke type player and that was why he was brought here to instigate and cj has taken that out of his game).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

When a team does bad, they don't fire the team, they fire the coach..it's time ! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

And the Caps have won what?