I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Re: I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him

4 mil for Wheeler? You're kidding, right StanleyCup?

Get real.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hopefully, if Wheeler gets a contract offer from the Bruins he won't be able to finish that either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him:
    Next year everybody in this room will say : Stanley is a genius ...prediction for season 2010-2011 Blake Wheeler 80GP  33G 30A 63PTS  72PIM
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Sorry, but that's still not $4 mill worth of stats & If he can give us 23gp 12G 14A  4 GW for 26 pts then maybe I'd think about giving him some decent quid! Until he can prove he's a performer during & post season like a DK? I'd continue to give him the 1- 1-1.5 range.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Crowls and Pbergeron ... You guys are both spot on with some of your observations. I feel like an idiot for even responding to this thread but ... Pbergeron, you actually expect Wheels to hit 30 goals? I tell you what, if he hits that mark with the Bruins next year I will run naked around the Garden at the end of the season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wheel of fortune!  Wheeler should be given a 2m one year contract.  Anything more is a waste of cap space.  Let him play with his buddy Kessel in Toronto at that point.   Why?  When he flew down the wing into the offensive zone this year, I would yell over to my brother watch "he will get knocked off of the puck".  Sure enough we both would laugh.  At 6'5", the boy should be able to protect the puck let alone shoot it on net. Posted by islamorada

Or Isla if he didn't get knocked off the puck he'd be offsides. 1.5-1.7Mil Max but load it with incentives/escalators. What I really want to see is a nastier player like Caron knock Blake around in Sept. show him how it's done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Hopefully, if Wheeler gets a contract offer from the Bruins he won't be able to finish that either.
    Posted by Crowls2424

LOL!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Hope we sign him for many years ...cause in 2 years from now he will want to sign for over $7MM ....believe me

A rising Star : Blake Wheeler ....I am more excited to see Wheel with the team than getting Seguin or Hall at this year's draft .....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Next year everybody in this room will say : Stanley is a genius ...prediction for season 2010-2011 Blake Wheeler 80GP  33G 30A 63PTS  72PIM

hey "genius" even if wheeler put up that stat line next year, he will not have earned that contract based on his current performance.  I do agree you pay for potential.. I think that you pay for it though when a player looks capable of fulfilling that potential.. And nothing about wheelers first two seasons suggest that.. The guy had 2? goals over the last 20 games?  Does'y play the body, isn't great defensively..  Certainly isnt a leader on this team... Meaning if he isn't putting the puck home, he's not giving you much of anything.  His play has earner him a slight raise... But I wouldn't even give him his current 2.35 cap hit...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Hope we sign him for many years ...cause in 2 years from now he will want to sign for over $7MM ....believe me A rising Star : Blake Wheeler ....I am more excited to see Wheel with the team than getting Seguin or Hall at this year's draft .....

Ya know Stanley? I do understand where you're coming from. I had the same asperations, illusions & hope on some former B's as well. Matter of fact, I lost money on some of these guys. Samsonov was the 1st one. Which I won $20 because I said he'd win the Calder. Lost $40 on him since then. I said he'd score 50 one yr & I said when he went to Chicago because Rick Dudley thought so much of him he would be the comeback player of the year & get 70pts. The other was Hannu Toivenen! I honesty thought he was really going to be something special! Since he broke his ankle the guy has really diminished! However, I still think somewhere, somehow he's gonna do something good. So I do understand that when you get a feel of expectations on a player, you go against the norm & keep hoping on hope that this player will not let you down, but he continues to do so on a consistent basis & it's tough to swallow. So, even though I don't agree with you on Wheelers talent. I do empathize with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from j3rockstar. Show j3rockstar's posts

Believe it or not, I could actually see Wheeler putting up 30-35 next season. Lets say he plays with Krejci and Seguin, those are some guys that can really dish. Having said that, there i not a chance that he gets 4 million from anyone next season, it will be between 2.1-2.7
    Posted by pbergeron37

30-35 Goals??? You can't be serious. Points, I'll give you....but there is zero chance he gets close to 30 goals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

Hope we sign him for many years ...cause in 2 years from now he will want to sign for over $7MM ....believe me A rising Star : Blake Wheeler ....I am more excited to see Wheel with the team than getting Seguin or Hall at this year's draft .....
    Another insanely retarded post by the village idiot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

dont we have enough players with 3rd line talent making 4mil a year?

along with a back up goalie making 5 and a 7th dman making 2.25

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

You almost had me until you got to the 72 penalty minutes...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Maybe Wheeler will get 4mil, maybe something lower. In any case, I think the managment will have Wheeler on a close leash, meaning, if he dosen't start to pay his way, (i've said this before), he will be trade bait come 2011 trade deadline.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

A lot of GMs in the NHL would kill to get a forward like Blake Wheeler...big, young , talented ...he has the potential to become one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL .....like I said this kid will score 300 goals in the next 10 years ....

Stop talking about a trade that would involved Blake Wheeler

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

A lot of GMs in the NHL would kill to get a forward like Blake Wheeler...big, young , talented ...he has the potential to become one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL .....like I said this kid will score 300 goals in the next 10 years .... Stop talking about a trade that would involved Blake Wheeler

Potential to score around 25/yr with very good talent around him?? No doubt that it's possible...but to become one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL??? Hmmm, Ovy, Crosby, Malkin, Kovy, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Sedin(s), Semin (not to mention others that could be debated as well). Sorry, there is no way even top 20 in the league. It's nice that your high on the kid, but let's try to be realistic. Depending on how the draft goes, he will have a hard time being in the top 5 on just the Bruins roster, let alone the entire NHL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Crowls and Pbergeron ... You guys are both spot on with some of your observations. I feel like an idiot for even responding to this thread but ... Pbergeron, you actually expect Wheels to hit 30 goals? I tell you what, if he hits that mark with the Bruins next year I will run naked around the Garden at the end of the season. 
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

How about you run naked in whatever rink he hits 30 in next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: I say if Wheeler wants $4MM....Give it to him : How about you run naked in whatever rink he hits 30 in next year.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

How 'bout he keeps his frikkin clothes on.

He's wrong but we're punished?  How does that work?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Look...market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market market.

If there's a market for Wheeler, see who makes him an offer.  If no one does, you've got the qualifying offer on the table.  Should be good motivation for him to sign a one year deal at the qualifying number if no one is willing to pay him enough to pry him out of Boston.  Nice wake up call.  If he gets an offer, I think it's pretty simple: $2.8M+ and sayonara Blake.  $2.7 or less (meaning compensation is a 2nd round pick...) means you match and you smile about it. Or better yet, you appeal to their macho, Burke-ish side and say you know, the manly thing to do would be to overpay me seeing as you're poaching my FA.  Then you collect your next #2 overall pick and laugh your way to draft day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I wouldn't even match an offer at 2.7.. I can see this playing out like the kessel deal.. He will have an offer and won't accept, no team will put an offer sheet out while the bruins have the chance to match and block it.. As we near the start of the season and the (is it sept 30th?) deadline where the bruins would recieve only compensation, but lose the chance to match he will be moved..

Unless he is realistic of his value which is that of a 2nd/3rd line winger who is inconsistant, and doesn't bring much else to the table..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know if I'm willing to take only a 2nd rounder for him.  18 goals is more valuable to this team right now than that pick, and I'm not sure who they'd pick up for less who could replace them.  And he is young.  Older than Kessel was, but only 2 in NHL years.  I could stil see the bulb going off for him the way it did for PK his last year in Boston.  Like PB37 said, though - could see it, but I'm not even putting my coffee money on it (let alone my beer money).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I wasn't saying I would let him go for a second, just stick to a figure (I think 1.8 x 2 is sufficient, since its not all incentive based its a cap break, and a pay raise) and wait it out, if he doesnt have teams ponying up more I think he signs (no one is going to offer him kessel money) but if he does get that $2.8 figure before the dead line the bruins can still threaten to match, forcing some kind of trade to a team that wants his services that badly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know if I'm willing to take only a 2nd rounder for him.  18 goals is more valuable to this team right now than that pick, and I'm not sure who they'd pick up for less who could replace them.  And he is young.  Older than Kessel was, but only 2 in NHL years.  I could stil see the bulb going off for him the way it did for PK his last year in Boston.  Like PB37 said, though - could see it, but I'm not even putting my coffee money on it (let alone my beer money).
    Posted by Bookboy007

The Bruins simply might have played this one wrong.  Maybe Wheeler needed a season in Providence.  If that had happened, this would have been his rookie season, and no one would be talking about him as a bust or even as a half-bust (if that exists).  Maybe the B's were thinking their staff was better than it actually was due to the progress from Bergeron and success from Lucic the season before.

Either way, it's not like Wheeler has put up five or 10 goal campaigns.  His lazy play might be fixed.  He has shown that he can score and his sophomore slump season was a step back of only seven points.

I don't think they should give up on the kid after only two seasons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Not A..
    I don't think its anyone saying to give up on him, its.. At what cost? I think if they can bring him back for less that his current cap number (2.35) or at that.. sure..but I think the fact that he hit 17goals with like 15 games to play and never hit the 20 mark (which had a bonus on it) says alot about how hard the kid is willing to play you know??  
    If he is looking for $3m etc this season is he worth it, is there enough there to show he will improve?  Sophomore slump, being an actual thing, is enough of a reason to say he will improve this year, but how much are you wil to commit to that gamble?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not A.. I don't think its anyone saying to give up on him, its.. At what cost? I think if they can bring him back for less that his current cap number (2.35) or at that.. sure..but I think the fact that he hit 17goals with like 15 games to play and never hit the 20 mark (which had a bonus on it) says alot about how hard the kid is willing to play you know??   If he is looking for $3m etc this season is he worth it, is there enough there to show he will improve?  Sophomore slump, being an actual thing, is enough of a reason to say he will improve this year, but how much are you wil to commit to that gamble?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I don't know what he will be looking for in terms of compensation.  In reading a lot more about him, it doesn't seem money is his driving factor as much as being happy.  Not signing with Phoenix cost him two years of pay.  Maybe he'll take something fair?

Well, I guess it depends on what you think is fair.  Take that number and add $1.5M to it.  That will be Chiarelli's starting point.