I think the B's are going to get Hall after all

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I think the B's are going to get Hall after all

My thoughts:

Oilers GM came out the other day saying he is "listening to all offers" for the first overall pick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Oilers-listening-to-offers-for-No-1-pick;_ylt=AlgexQJOkYv1vkaImN1FpsSKzdEF?urn=nhl,249089)

Tambellini knows that the Bruins want Hall. If the Oilers wanted Hall, they wouldn't put it out there that they were listening to offers. They would do what PC says, which is that they aren't trading the pick at all.

BUT, if the Oilers want Seguin, then they can swap picks with Boston, get the player they want (knowing Boston will pick Hall), and this way get an extra player/pick/combo. Basically, get free stuff and still get the player he wants.

So he comes out and says he is listening to offers, in order to try and get the B's nervous and up their offer, give up more for the pick to ensure they get Hall.

PC responds with this gem: "“If I decide that the gap between who we have No. 1 and who we have No. 2 is large enough then, potentially, I would consider a move to bridge that gap,” Chiarelli said. “Right now, that gap is very small and I can’t see it changing.” (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-bruins-neely)

This is him responding by saying "Hey, we don't care all that much which we get", AKA, "If you want to try and get some free stuff with us, it aint gonna be much"

Tambellini trying to jack the price up for the Bruins. PC trying to keep the cost down.

This game wouldn't be being played if Oilers wanted Hall.

It only makes sense that they would play this game if they knew they could trade away the pick and get the player they wanted all along anyway.

Just my opinion

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Re: I think the B's are going to get Hall after all

This is actually one of the most intelligent posts/analysis I've seen on here in a while. It makes a lot of sense and is a legitimate possibility. Very nice work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

Great post hope your right. I think hall would be a great bruin hope we get him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to I think the B's are going to get Hall after all:
    My thoughts: Oilers GM came out the other day saying he is "listening to all offers" for the first overall pick ( http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Oilers-listening-to-offers-for-No-1-pick;_ylt=AlgexQJOkYv1vkaImN1FpsSKzdEF?urn=nhl,249089 ) Tambellini knows that the Bruins want Hall. If the Oilers wanted Hall, they wouldn't put it out there that they were listening to offers. They would do what PC says, which is that they aren't trading the pick at all. BUT, if the Oilers want Seguin, then they can swap picks with Boston, get the player they want (knowing Boston will pick Hall), and this way get an extra player/pick/combo. Basically, get free stuff and still get the player he wants. So he comes out and says he is listening to offers, in order to try and get the B's nervous and up their offer, give up more for the pick to ensure they get Hall. PC responds with this gem: " “If I decide that the gap between who we have No. 1 and who we have No. 2 is large enough then, potentially, I would consider a move to bridge that gap,” Chiarelli said. “Right now, that gap is very small and I can’t see it changing.”  ( http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-bruins-neely ) This is him responding by saying "Hey, we don't care all that much which we get", AKA, "If you want to try and get some free stuff with us, it aint gonna be much" Tambellini trying to jack the price up for the Bruins. PC trying to keep the cost down. This game wouldn't be being played if Oilers wanted Hall. It only makes sense that they would play this game if they knew they could trade away the pick and get the player they wanted all along anyway. Just my opinion
    Posted by davecarr

Which is exactly why the Bruins shouldn't trade up to the #1.  I think we all assume the Oilers want Seguin and the Bruins want Hall, so PC shouldn't feel any pressure to trade away assets (albeit small and insignificant) for a player he would draft regardless of position.

Let's say the Oilers did the unexpected and drafted Hall.  Well, the Bruins are still left with a great young talent, who they could put at wing OR have the flexibility to move one of their three centers (Savard).

DON'T TRADE UP 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

It is my guess as well, that Hall will be a bruin, friday night.
    No GM will let himself be swayed by public opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

pb37...What have you heard that makes you think Boston wants Seguin?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Wake up!!! ALL the pressure is on Tambellini..he probably isn't sleeping very well. Chiarelli is in a great spot. i wouldn't give him anything...maybe a 3/4 round pick...Let him sweat it out till Friday night...When dealing with the draft, you always come out in a postion of strength. Most times it's best to do nothing. DO NO HARM!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Of course Tambellini is accepting all offers...who wouldn't...but his is full of ####..we don't know if he has had ANY offers...Friday night should be a blast!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The B's should try to move up to the top slot, if they see a difference in value between the two players from their own evaluations.  I am disregarding PC's public comments noted above, chalking them up to good, old-fashioned posturing.

How about the #2 pick and the rights to Brad Palmer and Dave Donnelly for the #1 pick?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Pc is in a win-win situation. If they take Hall then we get a great talent in Seguin and since Hall is all about being a Bruin it likely that when the time comes to re-up with the Oilers that he will balk at  another term with them and want to come here. So I think either way Hall will end up here and perhaps the B's will have both in time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I think the B's are going to get Hall after all:
    Pc is in a win-win situation. If they take Hall then we get a great talent in Seguin and since Hall is all about being a Bruin it likely that when the time comes to re-up with the Oilers that he will balk at  another term with them and want to come here. So I think either way Hall will end up here and perhaps the B's will have both in time.
    Posted by sparky1313

Where are people getting this Hall wants to be  Bruin crap?  I've read a lot about these two and nowhere have I read anything to suggest Hall has any link at all to the B's.  Orr is his agent?  Big deal.  He wears #4?  Again so what.  This is ridiculous. He grew up in Alberta as a Flames fan. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

he said he's listening to all offers.  It's in his job description to say that.  If he doesn't say that then he gets fired and has to turn in the ol' executive washroom key.  It doesn't mean anything.  Even PC who in the latest news has said he isn't moving the pick has said in the past if the right deal came along he'd take it.  GM's don't need to tell the truth about squat. 

On that note, I realize everyone is bored and having fun with speculation, but trying to disect what any "expert" or GM says right now, is pointless.  I wonder how many feeder comments are out there to try and drive the value up on picks, value down, confusion so they get the guy they want, etc. etc. etc.  Just have to wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

I like the thought process, but I think the media has backed the Oilers into a corner.  Oilers fans want Hall due to the Canadian media making him the number one.  It would be a bit of a PR nightmare if they trade down and selecting Seguin is against the majority of it's fan base's wishes.  Tough spot. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Hall has raved in several interviews about the cittty of Boston, the history of the team, the fans sports fans in New England, ect. He hasn't said much about Edmonton except that it would be an honor to play there. And yes, he is a huge Orr fan, and regardless of his loyalties growing up, it comes down for two teams for him. If it was between the Bruins and the Flamws, we'd be on the short end of that stick. But it's not, it's between Boston and Edmonton, and his comments, choice of agent, ect, make it clear he prefers one over the other. He can't come out and say that for obvious reasons, so you need to learn to read between the lines.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Hall has raved in several interviews about the cittty of Boston, the history of the team, the fans sports fans in New England, ect. He hasn't said much about Edmonton except that it would be an honor to play there. And yes, he is a huge Orr fan, and regardless of his loyalties growing up, it comes down for two teams for him. If it was between the Bruins and the Flamws, we'd be on the short end of that stick. But it's not, it's between Boston and Edmonton, and his comments, choice of agent, ect, make it clear he prefers one over the other. He can't come out and say that for obvious reasons, so you need to learn to read between the lines.
    Posted by davecarr

Sounds a bit like somebody's wearing "Homer" glasses, and I don't mean Simpson.  I guess we will never know for sure.  I can't see him bolting at the first chance because he wants to play in Boston.  That is a little over the top.     BTW, I've read plenty of nice things he's said about Edmonton.  They both are saying all the right things. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

The PR argument is bogus. Winning is the cure-all. The Oilers don't sell tickets to the draft. The GM is going to do whatever he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. If that means drafting Hall and then try to acquire a #1 center via trade or free-agency, then he'll go that route. If he thinks drafting Seguin as a #1 center to go along with some of the wings he already has gives him the best chance to win, he'll do that. If he can acquire Seguin plus some asset like Wheeler, and he thinks that's the best route, he'll do that. If the team wins, they'll sell tickets and their PR will be good. No matter WHO they draft, if they aren't winning games, they aren't going to sell many tickets, and aren't going to have good PR. He'd be completely daft to care about the PR surrounding the draft. As a GM, all you should think about is how YOU think your team will have the best shot at winning games, and eventually a cup. Forget everything else.
    Posted by TommyD603

I guarantee you that the Islanders drafted Tavares knowing he would sell more tickets.  Living in Alberta and listening to Oilers fans constantly talk about Hall coming I known there would be backlash if he's not made an Oiler.  There two are so close that what your fans want is an easy tie breaker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by davecarr

Sometimes reading between the lines leads to just simply imagining things.

"Edmonton's a team I would love to play for."

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Hall+hits+point+mark/2644010/story.html

Can we put the "Hall wants to play in Boston" theory to bed now?