Julien calling out his Leaders!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Julien calling out his Leaders!

I was just reading some of the coaches comments from the game and found some interesting quotes by Julien.. Looks like his frustration is setting in with him as well, and I agree with him..It's about time..  Maybe getting rid of guys like Hnidy, Ward, Yelle and Axelson,  character guys are being felt more deeply than people realize.. This was not a problem last year..

"There were times in the past that they had their dressing room under control," Julien said. "Right now, you have to coach, you have to be a cheerleader, you've got to wake them up. You've got to do too many things that a coach shouldn't have to do at this level.

"These are professionals and they've got to take ownership of their dressing room at some point."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: Julien calling out his Leaders!

players are pacing themselves. no worry

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

From that comment there, sounds like there might be a gel issue.  That's not good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

If you really want to read into Julien's comments, what he is basically saying is: "Mr. Chiarelli may i get some players that can score and play the game at a high level?...please"

I'm am so glad and i give Claude all the credit and props in the world for showing his true emotions on a team that has not shown any character. There are no excuses anymore, everyone knows what this team is capable of doing, the effort has clearly not been there.

This is a scream for help. Theres only so much he can do as a coach, he needs the GM to step in and shake things up in the locker room. If a coach has to become a cheerleader to get his troops going then theres a big problem there. They dont need a prep-rally before every game, thats so little-league. These are so-called pro-athletes. Maybe they should start acting like it.

How about this for a message for next game; Play Sobotka as your 2nd line center, with Recchi and Wheeler. Move Krejci down with Pialle and Ryder, and stick Thorton on the right side of Savard. Hell, call Providence and bring the kids up here.

...Hopefully my favorite player - Patrice Bergeron is ok!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

If Julien sees that his leaders aren't leading in he dressing room or on the ice why doesn't he sit them in the press-box for a game or two and let them figure it out themselves!  Pro-athletes are treated with kid gloves these days...they get paid good money to come to the rink and perform, if they can't get up for the games give some of the Providence Bruins a chance!  At least they would give a better effort than we all witnessed last night.  Julien sat Kess in the press box...its time he picked a couple of prima-donna's outta this line-up and give them the same treatment!! 7 million dollars sitting in the press-box would be a good start...lets awaken the giant!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJJustSell. Show JJJustSell's posts

with Looch and Bergy out and that would  be who.....the $7 M No Hitting big Lurch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Yes JJ...thats what I am implying, sit Chara!!  Wake him up!! At least we agree on how poorly this overpaid giant is playing his year. hahaha  I think he left his balls in the Norris trophy over the summer!!  Chara has been terrible this season!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdp123. Show rdp123's posts

Wideman stinks and now his feeble slapshot fractures Bergy hand? He has got to go. Who could be responsible? I don't know...could it be ....SATAN!? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

I think the threshold to bench Chara has to be higher because of his defensive leadership.  Don't forget...this is primarily an issue with the forwards.  The Bruins GAA is incredible. 

The problem is bench them in favor of whom??  I've been in favor of calling up a kid or 2 from Providence to do this.  At least they'd play hard, but he needs serviceable NHL options.  Lucic and Satan joining the lineup gives Julien some much needed leverage.  I think the loss of Ward was huge.  Begin has adequately replaced Yelle (except for maybe faceoffs)

Finally, I completely agree with Sobotka.  They should give him more minutes and a more prominent line placement.  He scores goals in the AHL and he bleeds it out on every shift.  Satan and Lucic will help him send some chumps to the press box...hopefully Bergeron is not going to be out for a signficant amount of time.  If so, he just halfed his increase.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

The B's got knocked around like a bunch of girls last night!  It was funny to watch Chara get knocked off the puck and see him complain like an AHL 4th liner.

Bitz, Wheeler, Recchi, Kretj, Hunwick, and Sobotka can not compete with the toughness of the teams like the Rangers. 

If the B's are going to make a move, then I say they need to get bigger and tougher for sure! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

They have basically the same team as last year, where did the toughness go.

Kessel Yelle pj must have been the presence of physicallity that we are now denied.LOL

Thornton is not a presence, Reich being let go must make him feel secure now.

The whole team plays with flybys. (Watch the opposition pass off the puck and do not finish their checks). Thornton is just as guilty as anyone. Sobotka is one of the few that actually finishes his check but last night he probably played himself out of the lineup with his play. O wait they all stunk.

We need LUC.

Anyone still think we don't need Kovalchuk, shake yer heads.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

If Lucic is ready to return this week I'de give Sobotka the opportunity to center Recchi and Paille.
    Begin must go back to the 4th line.
    I dont' see any call ups for tonites game therefore I think our centers will be , Savard, Krejci, Sobotka and Begin. Still missing a forward therefore maybe Hunwick as a fwd and they'll play with 5 Ds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Not that I care much about the Bruins one way or the other but Bergeron is one of the few players worth watching on your team.  I hope he is okay.

As far as Julien ripping into the team, I'm sorry but I see this completely different.  If you look at Julien's history he tends to put the blame when things don't go well on the character of the players.  Perhaps the problem is that the players aren't responding well to Julien's coaching.

I actually think character is one of the Bruins strong points and I still think the problem is not with the team, although you could certainly use some more scoring, but on Julien's coaching.  Yes he's a great defensive coach, but where is the offensive strategy on this team?  How long is going to handcuff skilled players like Savard.  Maybe I'm in the minority here in Bruinland, but I think Boston can do better.   P.S.  If you think Chara is one of the problems, we'd love to have him in Toronto.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

Why not bring Brad Marchand back up? Maybe he can instill some effort and scoring ability. It's worth a try for a couple of games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara doesn't hit because that's not Julien's system.  Never has been.  Even Scott Stevens's hit numbers went down playing for Jules.  But there's no excuse for the way he's been soft on the puck.

I don't think this has much of anything to do with the losses of Ward et al.  I think it's generational.  Last year, the Bruins played like a bunch of hungry young guys.  The older guys - the vets - fed off the success and enthusiasm of Krejci, Kessel, Lucic, Hunwick, Wheeler, and yes, Wideman.  There was a youth movement there that seems to have disappeared.  Krejci and Wheeler are having lousy years - both are right in the crosshairs of Julien's tirade.  Wideman's brain cramps have been terrible, and Hunwick's dropped below Boychuck I think.  No Lucic, no Kessel.  Boychuck's not a lot older than Hunwick, but he's got more mileage.  Morris had usurped Wideman until recently.  Sturm is playing in Kessel's spot, Satan will take Lucic's - two 30 somethings taking over for two guys just out of their rookie contracts.  Bergeron has pushed Krejci down the chart, and Recchi is playing Wheeler's minutes, because Bergeron's line has to be considered line 2.  So - even the young guys have lost that youthful energy.

Recchi proved tough for young guys to take in Pittsburgh - I wonder if something similar is happening here given that he's fairly vocal while the other leaders - Bergeron, Chara - tend to be quiet leaders.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Offensive strategy-
                            Backcheck, get the puck, skate to the red line, dump to opposition corner, change whole line on the fly!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

To No4BobbyOrr-Goat Regarding:

<<Offensive strategy-
                            Backcheck, get the puck, skate to the red line, dump to opposition corner, change whole line on the fly! />>

That was hilarious!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

WHO THE HELL CAN SCORE ON THIS TEAM????   Savy has NOBODY in front that has hands.  We have a bunch of 4th liners running around with skirts on.

Satan, Savy, and Berge (when he's back) should be a GREAT line.  Don't give me that BS that Berge and Savy are both centers, it doesn't matter!  Nobody on the blue line can score! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's what I do NOT get on this board.  Almost everyone rips Wideman suggesting he should be subjected to some sort of Tudors-style torture then shipped off to the Australian elite league for a six-pack of Foster's and some kangaroo jerkey.  Then you look five posts above or below and you'll find someone saying Julien can't coach and the system is stupid and WAAAAAH!!!!!  So what do you actually want, those of you who hate both Wideman and Julien?  Do you want a guy who will take some risks to push the pace and create offense even if that means giving up chances the other way?  Or do you want a system that locks it down and plays it safe?

Same system, a few different players, 2nd in league scoring last year.  So how is it the system and not the players?  And in the end, it's performance, not players.  The defense cannot pass this year.  I don't know what's changed, but they cannot pass.  The breakout and the whole offensive flow of this team depends on smart passes through the neutral zone - often that rink wide trap-breaker - and if the D hit the forwards with speed, everything else falls into place.  The opposing D have to turn and chase, the off-wing can drive the net, space opens up for the trailer.  With all due respect to #4BOGOAT, because that did make me spit soup on my screen, I see fewer pure dumps from the Bruins than missed passes that turn into tips to salvage something from a botched play.  Last year they hit those passes regularly and it showed.  Julien's raking them over the coals because this streak of bad passing is about not bearing down, not concentrating, and not playing the game fast enough.

Satan will finish more chances than Bitz or Begin, but the only solution to this offensive malaise is to create more chances.  And that means lighting a fire under a team that's playing timid hockey in every respect.  Know why they win when they fight?  They're playing for their pride.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

That's great that CJ is calling out his leaders, my only question is, why isn't PC calling out his coach for putting his 4th line on the ice in the final 2 minutes of a tie game.  In regards to Chara, I'm assuming he has a broken finger on his (Left??) hand.  They showed him with his glove off during the winter classic and had his ring and pinky fingers taped together.  On the plus side they shouldn't come out tired tonight since they didn't really skate hard last night.  I guess we get to see what Satan looks like after 6 months off tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It's tough to win when you don't score.  I'm amazed they play as well as they do (with the system that is).  There may be some truth, to the "mix" of players.  But I don't buy the leadership issue.  Chara, Savard, Recchi et al.  There are enough vets here to keep the lockerroom in order.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I happen to think that they miss guys like Ax and Wardo especially.. I think these guys kept the room at even keel last year.. I read last year that  Ward was very vocal and Axe had a way to lighten up and put the guys at ease.... There is something to be said for character type guys that have been around and suddenly gone and the ones really left behind are the quiet type guys who wouldn't scream fire in the dressing room if they saw smoke. 

The most disheartening part of this season for me has been the way the Bruins have been playing so passive and not dictating play like last year.. I know that has a lot to do with Lucic being out for sure, but please we are supposed to have a 4th line energy line that frankly looks like it has shorted out.. Someone tell me why Thorton is trying to make cutesy passes when he should be drilling guys up against the glass.. same with Bitz ... these guys should be wearing out defenceman and giving the other guys some lift.. I think we need a new enforcer on this team.. I dont want Lucic to fight as often , but it looks to me that Thorton has lost it from a fighting standpoint..Teams aren't afraid of the Bruins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

OK OK OK

They don't always dump from center, quite often 1 man will skate inside the blueline and then dump it as all the other players have already changed. This happens way too much, watch and see.

Bergy has quite often skated past the blue line and with 2-3 guys surrounding him hold it until a changed player skates up so he can make a pass.

What is also pathetic is watching guys coast in to change, get your a** off the ice so somebody can join the play.

Passing breakout has been anemic and very often errant due to being outhustled or chased. Part of the cause and one that has been figured out by other teams is that we like to play patty cake with the puck behind the net and/or blueline instead of headmanning it. This used to work until the opposition seen that we do it every time and have intercepted passes that were made constantly. This works when used occassionly but not every time. The same as using the boards, use it every time and the D can pinch in and you can't move the puck out or go up the middle every time and you will definitely be in trouble.  They need to mix it up and give the Opposition different looks and they will have to back off quicker allowing us to get the puck moving.

Our breakout has only been working when the forward is taking it off the boards and headmanning it, our D has been overchallenged and we need to rectify it.