Kiril Kabanov to Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

Kiril Kabanov to Boston?

I want to know what you guys think about using our second round pick on Kabanov, or trading up into the late first round to get him.

Obviously, the guy has a TON of issues with his character, but if you look at the talent that he brings (remember, he was a top 5-10 pick at the start of the year)
    how could the Bruins not pursue an option like this, ESPECIALLY if Hall is drafted by the oilers and the bruins get seguin.

Don't worry, the Bruins can still trade up for a top 10 pick even if they trade that second rounder to get Kabanov.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston?

I think since he dropped JP Barry as his agent (or Barry dropped him, there are conflicting reports) that his stock drops again. If we don't move the 45th pick then I think we should take him there. It's still a risk pick, but the homerun potential would be too big to ignore. I'm guessing Moncton wouldn't mind giving up their claim on him, meaning we could put him in Providence, perhaps on a line with Colborne and Caron.

I think he's worth the risk, but that might be just me. I love his potential as a goal scorer and I think he's running out of options, meaning he'll have to put up because he doesn't have any bargaining power. A guy like Kabanov will play because he likes the game, yes he likes drama but I've got a feeling he won't be a bust.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Kiril Kabanov to Boston?:
    I want to know what you guys think about using our second round pick on Kabanov, or trading up into the late first round to get him. Obviously, the guy has a TON of issues with his character, but if you look at the talent that he brings (remember, he was a top 5-10 pick at the start of the year) how could the Bruins not pursue an option like this, ESPECIALLY if Hall is drafted by the oilers and the bruins get seguin. Don't worry, the Bruins can still trade up for a top 10 pick even if they trade that second rounder to get Kabanov.
    Posted by NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD

I have never seen the kid play, but I know that no matter the ability, if the mind is out to lunch, it's a big problem.  I'm not suggesting that this guy is Mike Danton/Jefferson/Danton or Phil Kessel, but a few less goals with a head on straight is worth more in the long run I think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

PC has always said they will draft the best player available regardless of need (and other issues - or so it seems to me).  I think that strategy works, best talent was PK and it paid off in the end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I would chance it...loads of talent...loads of immaturity...hope he out grows it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

The one guarantee with this kid is that he is not going back to Russia...a worry with so many other Russian players...he has no options but to develop in North America...and thats a plus in my book.  Word is that Detroit has interest in him (watch them pick him up in the first round and be a stud)...If you read some of the excerpts from his interviews he had some interesting things to say about all the recent problems he has had..he took full responsibility and said he would be willing to play where ever a NHL team wanted him too (AHL).  And if you do a little web search it seems the Russian Under 18 team had it out for him from the start.  No excuses about his immaturity...at least he is 18 and bad choices and not 22.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

You may need to take him at 15 to be sure.  I wouldn't.  I doubt he is around at 32 but if he is, grab him.  No moving up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

I don't want him in Boston. The big reason the team was so good in 08-09 is because the whole team was close and were having fun playing together.  Before this year started there were rifts in the room because of the whole NHLPA fiasco.  I want guys that can get along, stick up for each other, and want to be TEAM guys.  I don't see Kabanov being that kind of guy.  I want quality players who are also quality people.

Also, how many Russians were in the Finals this year? ZERO...interesting

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, well, 50% of Conn Smythe trophy winners over the past two years have been Russians.

That's my way of say "so what?"  The KHL and the lack of a transfer agreement between the Russian Federation and the NHL/IIHL is keeping some Russians out of the NHL.  Well, no, that's too strong - it's giving them an option other than trying to make the NHL.  It's been playing havoc with the draft for a few years (at least since 2007) so teams like Philly and Chicago, who are built around players barely out of their EL contracts (if they aren't still EL players), are less likely to have Russian players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

How many Russians have won the Conn Smythe all-time? ONE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Bad pick if you want to see the Bruins grow. Noone needs or wants a selfish, immature player who only does it his way. Even Ovie plays as the coach directs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston?:
    I don't want him in Boston. The big reason the team was so good in 08-09 is because the whole team was close and were having fun playing together.  Before this year started there were rifts in the room because of the whole NHLPA fiasco.  I want guys that can get along, stick up for each other, and want to be TEAM guys.  I don't see Kabanov being that kind of guy.  I want quality players who are also quality people. Also, how many Russians were in the Finals this year? ZERO...interesting
    Posted by derrickmorin

How far would the B's have gone if they had Datsyuk?

I hope this entire topic of the good and bad of Russians is just for comedy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

The guy is a head case...pass on him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Bad pick if you want to see the Bruins grow. Noone needs or wants a selfish, immature player who only does it his way. Even Ovie plays as the coach directs.
    Posted by Bogie6

Caps need a new coach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

It's not just a question of his head. He also had a bad wrist injury this year, which sets off flashing red lights. And there's also a question of his talent. I haven't seen him play, but the last report I read said he was a world-beater a couple of years ago, and has now fallen waaaay down in the eyes of talent evaluators. More flashing red lights.

I feel sorry for the poor kid - he obviously, from all reports, has a horribly overbearing father, and he's still too young to strike out on his own. Somebody will take a chance on him, but IMHO there are plenty of kids out there who are just as talented, without the added risk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Pass on him unless maybe round 4 or 5. Do not waste any picks in the first 3 rounds on him. They are to valuable. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston? : How far would the B's have gone if they had Datsyuk? I hope this entire topic of the good and bad of Russians is just for comedy.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I Like Datysuk...I'm pretty sure he went as far as the Bruins did?

How did the Russians do in the Olympics? How do they do in the World's with 14 Olympians vs. 2 or 3 from every other team?

MOST Russians are not team players if all I was saying.  That's just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

I would take a chance with our no.32 pick ...I think he will be a great player ....give him 2 years ...he looks like a young Gretsky

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

I would take a chance with our no.32 pick ...I think he will be a great player ....give him 2 years ...he looks like a young Gretsky
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINS

Yes. He looks like Gretsky. Some random guy that no one has ever heard of. I sure you didn't mean Gretzky. Not the Great One. Please. If he looked like a young Gretzky, he would be taken before Hall and Seguin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston? : I Like Datysuk...I'm pretty sure he went as far as the Bruins did? How did the Russians do in the Olympics? How do they do in the World's with 14 Olympians vs. 2 or 3 from every other team? MOST Russians are not team players if all I was saying.  That's just my opinion.
    Posted by derrickmorin

Not to be ants at a picnic, but Datsyuk's name is on the cup twice, and he lost a game 7 one other time - to a team lead my Malkin. Writing off whole countries as sources of talent makes me think you may actually work in the Bruins scouting department

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston? : Not to be ants at a picnic, but Datsyuk's name is on the cup twice, and he lost a game 7 one other time - to a team lead my Malkin. Writing off whole countries as sources of talent makes me think you may actually work in the Bruins scouting department
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

The Bruins have Finns, Czech, Slovaks, Germans, Canadians and Americans on their team/in their system, and have just signed a Russian they drafted. What country do they write off? Norway?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston? : The Bruins have Finns, Czech, Slovaks, Germans, Canadians and Americans on their team/in their system, and have just signed a Russian they drafted. What country do they write off? Norway?
    Posted by duinne

The comment was really meant to be toward the poster, but any judgment made on the Bruins scouting was to be taken as a more generalized joke about their seeming randomness in evaluating talent

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

When you can name every impact playoff season by Russians in one or two sentences you pretty much prove my point don't you? Don't forget I wrote MOST not all Russians.  In this thread we are not only talking about a Russian but a Russian with serious issues.  I don't want him on the Bruins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Kiril Kabanov to Boston? : The comment was really meant to be toward the poster, but any judgment made on the Bruins scouting was to be taken as a more generalized joke about their seeming randomness in evaluating talent
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

Randomness? I don't follow. Evaluation of success in the draft is dependent on many things, including depth that particular year (this year is supposed to be great; next year, not so much). Also to be considered are different administrations - it's pretty silly to point fingers at the current administration for missteps taken by previous ones.

Like any other endeavor in which you're trying to judge the talent and potential growth of teenage boys, it's going to be, in large part, a hit-or-miss situation. Did the Bruins simply get lucky in snagging Milan Lucic and David Krejci as second-round picks, or were they smarter than everyone else?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

When you can name every impact playoff season by Russians in one or two sentences you pretty much prove my point don't you? Don't forget I wrote MOST not all Russians.  In this thread we are not only talking about a Russian but a Russian with serious issues.  I don't want him on the Bruins.
    Posted by derrickmorin

I'm okay with that. I don't know anything about the guy. I could continue about great Russian players - Federov as a league MVP and selke comes to mind. If the Bruins could find the 2nd coming of Vladdy Konstantinov the fans would all be in love. Larionov would be talked about as one of the all time greats if he played his whole career in the NHL. Again, I'll take your word for it on Kabanov, but the fact that even you say some Russians pan out means that you have to continue scouting there in case the next Bure or Ovie comes up. And if the best available in the draft happens to be Russian at my next pick, I would not hesitate to choose him