Let's grade the GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

Let's grade the GM

I hate writing this because it is a waste of my time but i am a passionate bruins fan and i have to get rid of it... 

I bashed Mark Recchi a lot at the begining of the year and that guy has totally made a fool of me. He was playing real bad but he turned it around big time. Wideman, Hunwick, Ryder, Wheeler and even Kreji (maybe he needs someone to play with) are big issues but...

I hate it when people say what happened this is the same team as lat year minus Kessel. This is not true. Chirelli has made a lot of calculations and in my eyes it looks like about 75% of them have not been correct.

Let's grade Chirelli, knowing that you always have to look back after your decisions and this is how you get judged on your performance of your job. The point is to look at what he has done and how it has worked out. Knowone can know what is going to happen but part of making the decision is thinking about what if's and what to do if it does not work.

He signs Thomas for 4 years 6mill +!? Who would have known he would tank and then we would have to listen to him say he doesnt think he has played bad. I might have made this signing too but not this much with a no trade. Thomas did not have that power after 1 good year and his age.

He lost Kessel and his 36 goals and young talent. The Bruins should have worked with him more while he was here in my opinion. I can understand saying he is not worth 5 mill. but dont go turn around and give 4 mill+ to Lucic because he hits once in a while. Luci would have taken 3 mill. and you could have had them both. Yeah i know, Kessel didnt want to be here. I know what they say. That is bull. If they worked with the kid and gave him $$ he would NOT have wanted out. I'd rather have the goals and versatilty. They could have used him and sat him when the time was right. He also improved a lot defensively. He was only getting better and that was without a doubt. Brian Burke is pretty well respected and knows how to put a team togther. Ah sorry, i trust his hockey sense/judgement a lot more than Chirelli. He would not be running team USA if he did not know A LOT. PERIOD. Chirelli/Bruins org. did not handle this kid well. PERIOD.

He signs Wideman for 4 mill. This guy should not even be dressing by now. He has totally stunk. This message should have been sent by now by Chirelli if it is not coming from the coach. Look what happend when they sat him the first game last year (helathy scratch). Right now he is a liabilty every time he is on the ice and is a big, big reason the team has suffered a lot this year. Huge reason. Not to mention, he did not even earn that contract and would not have gotten it anywhere else. I get it, what if they lost him, they didnt have anything in the system but they could havesigned someone else surely.

He signs Lucic 4+mill (for more than Kreji/Kessel and alomost as much as Bergeron)!? Are you kidding? He has been in the league 3 years and has scored how many goals? 32. Wow!!!!!!

He signed Ryder at 4 mill!? probably too much money for his lack of consistency but might not have been that bad a gamble for what they needed. 

He traded Kobasew. Kobasew was under performing but so was everyone else and atleast he hit people and showed effort. he was huge in the playoffs.

He let go of Ward who was a team leader and a good defenceman in this system (with Chara) for Morris who is gone. He get's Seidenberg and it looks good if they can keep him. We can watch that.

He let go of Shane Hnidy who was solid veteran who took care of business on the ice, could play a lot of minutes and makes $750,000. I guess Chirelli gave his ice to Hunwick and we see how that has turned out. I believe this is a huge, huge loss. If he was on that ice when Savard went down the gloves would have went off and punches would have been thrown at everyone and we all know that. Not just that, he was a good sloid player who stepped it up in big games and the playoffs.

He didnt sign Stephan Yelle. He replaced him with Steve Begin. Begin has done nothing as far as i am concerned. Sorry.

He did not sign PJ Axelson but did not replace him. He was a veteran and could have been a good 4th line player. Is Sobotka better? Is Satan? Was Bitz?  

All this stuff is just recent. There was the Dave Lewis thing. He traded Versteeg for nothing... 

Let's see what he does with his picks. With the track record though it does not look like it will be anything good. 

More importantly, who reviews him? This is a collapse in 1 year when last year should have been built on.

I like that he resigned Savard. Let's see what he does with Chara. I sometimes like that Wheeler (beacause of Kessel) fell into his lap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Let's grade the GM

You lose all credibility here, your numbers aren't correct (thomas makes 5, lucic does not make more then kessel), your opinions are way over biased (Lucic hit sometimes? injury plagued all year he is still 4th on this team in hits).. You talk about the ryder signing as being a gamble, yet you rock a ryder handle, i doubt you had any complaints about the signing last year.  And clearly he is reviewed by the owner.. The versteeg trade is in hindsight, look at his and bochenski's ahl numbers at the time, and the fact that he came in and scored in 7 consecutive games, etc..

His biggest flaw is probably underestimate the leadership, not that was lost, but that was in the locker room,Losing ward, should not have hurt the way it has, and i think that falls on Chara.. This season could have been, and stil could be salvaged if the guys who are here to stay step up their play, and their roles as leaders on the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

My judgement will be made as to what he does this summer during the draft. Picks, trades or what he doesn't do. In my book this is it for PC because he held onto these picks for this summers draft.

Ryder and Wideman need to be sent through waivers to show them there not wanted here. They have gotten there cushy contracts and stopped playing.

He gets a "C" from me for cap management right now. It can go up or down this summer easily so we should revisit this at some point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

pj was crap last year and this place was full of threads ripping him

kobasew has 5 goals this year

yelle has 4 goals 4 assts and is a -6

Versteeg was a minor league prospect, a small center that had a good rookie season but has taken a step back this year. Ended up being a bad trade but would have thought that the player they got would end up being a McDonalds lover and eat himself out of the league.

Lucic got more than he should have but will wait til next year to see if he is worth 4m. Lets hope he is healthy

last years Wideman was worth 4m but this years version is worth a trip to providence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yep, take it from one who knows, a post that long is a waste of time.

Look, ChiaPete has to take some heat for the direction this team has taken, and so does Claude.  But you can't give the players on this team enough heat in my opinion.  I look at that list of decisions and I think many of them are pretty defensible based on the situation at the time.  Hindsight's a biiiiiiiitch.  What you can't argue, though, is that the players have not responded the way ChiaPete expected.  They prioritized getting younger and more talented and ended up just young and inexperienced.  

Here's a quick summary of at-the-time thinking that I'm sure many people shared:

Lewis - remember the article, prior to the season, where he went for Italian with a Globe reporter and talked about wanting to be here and part of the community?  And all anyone could talk about was how the Bruins broke pattern and hired a guy with no prior connection to the team who came from a winning organization.  Scotty Bowman's bench general and a guy teams had coveted for years.

Versteeg - 5th round pick with the body to be a career AHL scoring star.  Never called up.  Traded for a guy who, a year earlier, scored in bunches during the NHL preseason.  Like playing nickle slots only to find your nickel was an old Roman silver coin.

Ax, Yelle, Hnidy - Axelsson wanted to be paid like a part-time first liner and not a fourth liner.  Yelle wasn't bringing much to the table in terms of emotion, grit, leadership or talent, and brought less in Carolina this year.  Hnidy was a slugger who could NOT play a lot of minutes.  He could eat up third-pairing minutes by digging the puck out of corners and clanking it out off the glass.  You loved him as a team guy, but that's it.  Look at where all three of these players landed: Carolina - third worst team in the league; Wild - out of the playoffs; Sweden - not in the NHL.  Those were the options for these guys.  Even if you think they had more value here, this is the measure of their talent.

Ward - probably the biggest absence in the locker room - a clear case of having sacrificed character to get better skill.

Now the big ones:  Thomas is 4@$5M.  Name the last time a GM let his Vezina-winning goaltender go to free agency and walk and I'll show you a guy who got fired. To keep him from testing the waters, Thomas might have accepted 3@$6M or 2@$7M, but that's going to be even worse for your cap.  So you give him the term to keep the annual hit down.

Wideman - If you look at the season that got him his contract, there are maybe three guys who scored more than DW that year and who are getting paid less based on his new contract.  Last year, the only guy to score more and get paid less was Kronwall in Detroit. Wideman was +36.  Kronwall +2.  Stats aren't everything, except in salary arbitration.  This is the first year that Wideman's contract has looked suspect.

I'm done talking about Phyllis, except to say that when you're at the cap and you have to decide which of your young players will walk, getting two lottery picks and a second that's basically a low first for the most one-dimensional player is pretty good.

Lucic - the contract is all about the market.  Last summer, he was a coveted player around the league.  Pundits wrote about which teams would put in offer sheets on him if the Bruins let him get to free agency.   We all know RFA offers are inflated, so the Bruins probably figured they'd have a choice - lose him, or pay him even more than $4M per.  Two bald heads would have been floating in the Charles if they'd lost him.

Kobasew was breaking down, making him too expensive and unable to play the style that got him the love.  They got a rather impressive return - I didn't think he'd fetch a 2nd but they got a 2nd and two low-level prospects.

Last, Ryder.  No real reason to overpay Ryder, but he was the most likely candidate to give the Bruins 30 goals at a time when they obviously needed more off the wing.  Even though he was okay last year, they still paid more than market for the guy, so now that he's been a bum, he's a huge albatross.

If you're grading him, add in the prospects.  Bad: not one Chia pick has played a game, though to be fair, most are still either first year pros or amateurs. Has some love affair with undersized NCAA defensemen.  Good: integrated a lot of youth into the lineup in the last two/three years.  Signed Wheeler (=free top 10 pick).  Made some shrewd prospect-level deals in getting Boychuk for Matt Hendricks (who they'd previously signed as a free agent), McQuaid for Sigalet, signed Penner, signed Riendeau. Gambled that Colborne would develop and he has to date.  Gambled Caron has more offense than he had shown and it looks good this year.

Overall, I think Chiarelli should get a C.  Not many creative moves at the NHL level, and his philosophy of overpaying to land his guys is starting to be a problem. Basically does what most GMs would do.  Has done well enough getting rid of players when they're breaking down but hasn't done much to acquire replacements that improve the team.  The combination makes him look pedestrian next to dynamic GMs like Burke who make high risk creative plays.  Smart to concentrate on acquiring via the draft, though, so this is a C verging on incomplete - though even in July, there won't be any real way to assess how Chia did.  Maybe he goes off the board and pulls up an Anze Kopitar.  Or maybe he thinkgs its Anze and its Evgeni Ryabchikov!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Let's grade the GM:
    Yep, take it from one who knows, a post that long is a waste of time. Look, ChiaPete has to take some heat for the direction this team has taken, and so does Claude.  But you can't give the players on this team enough heat in my opinion.  I look at that list of decisions and I think many of them are pretty defensible based on the situation at the time.  Hindsight's a biiiiiiiitch.  What you can't argue, though, is that the players have not responded the way ChiaPete expected.  They prioritized getting younger and more talented and ended up just young and inexperienced.   Here's a quick summary of at-the-time thinking that I'm sure many people shared: Lewis - remember the article, prior to the season, where he went for Italian with a Globe reporter and talked about wanting to be here and part of the community?  And all anyone could talk about was how the Bruins broke pattern and hired a guy with no prior connection to the team who came from a winning organization.  Scotty Bowman's bench general and a guy teams had coveted for years. Versteeg - 5th round pick with the body to be a career AHL scoring star.  Never called up.  Traded for a guy who, a year earlier, scored in bunches during the NHL preseason.  Like playing nickle slots only to find your nickel was an old Roman silver coin. Ax, Yelle, Hnidy - Axelsson wanted to be paid like a part-time first liner and not a fourth liner.  Yelle wasn't bringing much to the table in terms of emotion, grit, leadership or talent, and brought less in Carolina this year.  Hnidy was a slugger who could NOT play a lot of minutes.  He could eat up third-pairing minutes by digging the puck out of corners and clanking it out off the glass.  You loved him as a team guy, but that's it.  Look at where all three of these players landed: Carolina - third worst team in the league; Wild - out of the playoffs; Sweden - not in the NHL.  Those were the options for these guys.  Even if you think they had more value here, this is the measure of their talent. Ward - probably the biggest absence in the locker room - a clear case of having sacrificed character to get better skill. Now the big ones:  Thomas is 4@$5M.  Name the last time a GM let his Vezina-winning goaltender go to free agency and walk and I'll show you a guy who got fired. To keep him from testing the waters, Thomas might have accepted 3@$6M or 2@$7M, but that's going to be even worse for your cap.  So you give him the term to keep the annual hit down. Wideman - If you look at the season that got him his contract, there are maybe three guys who scored more than DW that year and who are getting paid less based on his new contract.  Last year, the only guy to score more and get paid less was Kronwall in Detroit. Wideman was +36.  Kronwall +2.  Stats aren't everything, except in salary arbitration.  This is the first year that Wideman's contract has looked suspect. I'm done talking about Phyllis, except to say that when you're at the cap and you have to decide which of your young players will walk, getting two lottery picks and a second that's basically a low first for the most one-dimensional player is pretty good. Lucic - the contract is all about the market.  Last summer, he was a coveted player around the league.  Pundits wrote about which teams would put in offer sheets on him if the Bruins let him get to free agency.   We all know RFA offers are inflated, so the Bruins probably figured they'd have a choice - lose him, or pay him even more than $4M per.  Two bald heads would have been floating in the Charles if they'd lost him. Kobasew was breaking down, making him too expensive and unable to play the style that got him the love.  They got a rather impressive return - I didn't think he'd fetch a 2nd but they got a 2nd and two low-level prospects. Last, Ryder.  No real reason to overpay Ryder, but he was the most likely candidate to give the Bruins 30 goals at a time when they obviously needed more off the wing.  Even though he was okay last year, they still paid more than market for the guy, so now that he's been a bum, he's a huge albatross. If you're grading him, add in the prospects.  Bad: not one Chia pick has played a game, though to be fair, most are still either first year pros or amateurs. Has some love affair with undersized NCAA defensemen.  Good: integrated a lot of youth into the lineup in the last two/three years.  Signed Wheeler (=free top 10 pick).  Made some shrewd prospect-level deals in getting Boychuk for Matt Hendricks (who they'd previously signed as a free agent), McQuaid for Sigalet, signed Penner, signed Riendeau. Gambled that Colborne would develop and he has to date.  Gambled Caron has more offense than he had shown and it looks good this year. Overall, I think Chiarelli should get a C.  Not many creative moves at the NHL level, and his philosophy of overpaying to land his guys is starting to be a problem. Basically does what most GMs would do.  Has done well enough getting rid of players when they're breaking down but hasn't done much to acquire replacements that improve the team.  The combination makes him look pedestrian next to dynamic GMs like Burke who make high risk creative plays.  Smart to concentrate on acquiring via the draft, though, so this is a C verging on incomplete - though even in July, there won't be any real way to assess how Chia did.  Maybe he goes off the board and pulls up an Anze Kopitar.  Or maybe he thinkgs its Anze and its Evgeni Ryabchikov!
    Posted by Bookboy007

yeah.. please keep it to 500 words...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Rollerhokey, you are not too smart. Bookboy, good overall commentary, but, let's look deper. Savvy has been hurt, and is now really hurt badly. Lucic has also been hurt and has yet to tecover, but $4mill was too much knee jerk vs. other offers. Ryder has been a bust after reasonable play last year. His lack of hustle has hurt both Wheeler and Kreji. Wheeler NEEDS coaching, and not only from Recchi. What are Ward and Benning doing?? Timmy looks like he is a replay of old 5-hole Blaine locher. Who would of thunk it? Wideman is a bust, but Chara has not been without fault in many games. Hunwick seems to have regressed[ lack of coaching??] Your assessment on Recchi is quite accurate, and he even stated, when discussing Lucic's potential, that he was being shoved around by bigger defenseman. Begin is Ok, but Sabotka plays better at center; Paille is still the guy that Buffalo let go, skates super, but cannot seem to score; Thornton is Thornton, you get all he has, so don't expect more. The payoff on Kessel looks above average. So, you have Bergie, Sturm, Kreji, Savvy, and a few other maybes, which does not make a team when lugging all the other baggage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

I can sum it up with just 3 words. The GM sux.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Rollerhokey, you are not too smart. Bookboy, good overall commentary, but, let's look deper. Savvy has been hurt, and is now really hurt badly. Lucic has also been hurt and has yet to tecover, but $4mill was too much knee jerk vs. other offers. Ryder has been a bust after reasonable play last year. His lack of hustle has hurt both Wheeler and Kreji. Wheeler NEEDS coaching, and not only from Recchi. What are Ward and Benning doing?? Timmy looks like he is a replay of old 5-hole Blaine locher. Who would of thunk it? Wideman is a bust, but Chara has not been without fault in many games. Hunwick seems to have regressed[ lack of coaching??] Your assessment on Recchi is quite accurate, and he even stated, when discussing Lucic's potential, that he was being shoved around by bigger defenseman. Begin is Ok, but Sabotka plays better at center; Paille is still the guy that Buffalo let go, skates super, but cannot seem to score; Thornton is Thornton, you get all he has, so don't expect more. The payoff on Kessel looks above average. So, you have Bergie, Sturm, Kreji, Savvy, and a few other maybes, which does not make a team when lugging all the other baggage.
    Posted by Bogie6

I am not to smart based on your lack of a sense of humor..Read bookboy's first sentence, then try again. also before you throw that out there.. check your spelling and grammer it doesn't make for a strong arguement..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Chia's real talent is peppering the roster with more fringe players and aging vets every season until the core group he was given to build on is barely even noticeable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

This is all in hindsight buddy..  not just Versteeg.. and my point is that of course you cant know how things are going to go but when you look back and you see that 75% of your moves didnt work out then i think you failed and should be accountable. injuries or not. You need a backup. sign someone for 5 mill. and if he gets hurt what do you have to try and make up for it? In Response to Re: Let's grade the GM :
    Posted by ryder73

Ryder,
    I don't get the last sentence at all man.. sorry..not sure if your saying trade TT and sign a back up to rask for 5 million or??

But PC has/had? a 4 year deal, took the bruins from 13th, to 13th to 8th to 1st.. back to 8th.. Seems to have landed a good pick with Colborne, and possibly last years draft, and I don't think its all injuries, but with the chemistry effect from the off season, and the paul kelly turmoil, they would have needed a healthy season to allow these guys to jell...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

And bookboy,
     Lewis, I do remember alot of that, but he was set up for failure, I mean the redwings to a bruins team that didn't have the part he needed..  He was coaching a high flying offense, we didnt/don't have that, I am suprised he hasn't coached since cause I could seem him as a good fit in a WAS/Pitt/LA stl etc offensive team with some guns on it..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Got ya, we had a back up plan, rask, the problem is he is a head of where he was projected to be.. He was supposed to start 20-30 games this year.. and increase his load till he took over, I think thomas's deal was intended to allow him to mentor rask, and really the 4th year was more of an add on to lower his cap hit, and still have a solid back up for rask, I think thomas would have sought more if it was only a 3 year deal, and he probably wouldnt have accepted a 2...