Live from Springfield, it's the Max Sauve Show!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Live from Springfield, it's the Max Sauve Show!

Just got back from the P-Bruins vs. the Falcons. Providence wins, 6-5. Some thoughts (I wasn't taking notes or anything, so this is a bit scattered):

As the score might indicate, it was a very exciting game. Lots of end-to-end rushes, odd-man breaks, standout plays, defensive breakdowns. Certainly not a clean game from a hockey purist's POV, but fun to watch.

Providence jumped out to a 3-0 lead halfway through the first period thanks to not one, but two of the juciest rebounds I have ever seen (you might as well have set the puck up on a tee; Sauve and McDonald were the beneficiaries), and also a perfect drop pass from Smotherman for Kampfer in the slot. They led 6-3 before giving up two late goals (the last with one minute left and the Springfield goalie pulled) but held on in the end. Exciting stuff.

Speaking of fun to watch, that was Sauve. His second goal was amazing - he outraced a Springfield defenseman to corral the puck in the offensive zone, did something like two and a half pirouettes, and, just as I thought he was going to shovel a backhander on goal, completed the third pirouette and scored on a forehand shot from the left circle. He completed the hat trick in the third period by darting into the slot from the side boards, just knifing through the defense. They couldn't lay a glove on him.

But Sauve isn't one-dimensional; he's not one of those guys who's hanging around on the blue line waiting for a breakout pass. He was conscious of his defensive responsibillities and made some solid defensive plays as well.

Of course, this is the AHL, and it's a lot easier to dance around AHL defensemen than NHL defensemen. But if he keeps working hard, Sauve could certainly give the Bruins some real depth at wing.

Other notes:

Hamill played pretty well. He's centering Sauve and Reich; the second line is Colborne centering Arniel and LoVecchio. Hamill wasn't afraid to bang in the corners and go to the net, and did a solid job of feeding Sauve. They seem to be a solid combination. At one point Hamill got rocked into the boards pretty good, and I could see him take the guy's number and later in his shift rattle him in return with an open-ice hit. That was good to see.

Speaking of Hamill, he's sporting one of the "A"s -- Bodnarchuk has the other. Reich, as expected, is wearing the "C."

Colborne showed some nice flashes but he's still a bit tentative and has a lot to learn. The raw skill is certainly there; he's got to learn what to do with it. He still looks very young.

Alexandrov, as I've noted before, has very nice stick skills and displayed them again tonight. However, he doesn't know how to play the body very well, and it shows, as he got outmuscled and outskated at times. To his credit, he's obviously working hard and concentrating on learning. I have renewed sympathy for him, as I know how hard it must be.

Hutchinson played in goal and was OK -- he didn't have to make any huge saves, and his defenders were pretty good at giving him clear looks at the puck. Again, it's the AHL, and he was helped by the fact that a few times when he was dead to rights the Falcons missed the net.

That reminds me -- Wild made one outstanding play after a Springfield forward broke in alone. Wild appeared to be out of the play, but somehow recovered, dropped to one knee and blocked a shot in the slot that loooked to be a sure goal.

Overall I'd have to say it was obviously early in the season as both teams looked a bit disjointed at times, then at others in perfect sync. It'll be fun to watch Providence's progression over the next few months as the kids get their legs under themselves and start learning and working together. 

That's about all I can think of for now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Live from Springfield, it's the Max Sauve Show!

Thanks Duinne.  Wish I lived closer to Providence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Thanks, for that. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Good to read that a Bruins team was fun to watch today.

Glad you had a good time in *cough* beautiful Springfield.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Diunne,

thanks for the update, interesting.

Someone in the boards today suggested you didn't know about systems... is this true?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Thanks duinne. Really nice to see someone giving updates with Providence. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Thanks, duinne....any way to get a link on that super Sauve goal?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Live from Springfield, it's the Max Sauve Show!:
    [QUOTE]Diunne, thanks for the update, interesting. Someone in the boards today suggested you didn't know about systems... is this true?
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

Thats' her husband that comes here to tease her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thanks Duinne for the on-site view. Recaps of both weekend games indicate that the p-Bruins are shooting the puck. Let's hope Peter takes note and dumps Paille, Ryder, and trades wheeler and Hunwick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

You're welcome, all. It was a fun time.

Sorry, no video. Looked around www.theahl.com but couldn't find any.

And I deliberately avoided this board after the B-Bruins game because I knew it wouild be full of panic and overreactions. It's a long season, folks. Breathe deep, realize this is a good team that played 40 minutes of bad hockey, and relax. Nobody makes panic moves after the first game of the season.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Thank You Duinne for the updates on the baby B's.....certainly nice to get info otherwise unattainable here in northern Ontario....will try and give some input on our boys in the OHL when their respective teams play our local Soo Greyhounds..lets hope the big boys rebound today....Thanks Again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE] It's a long season, folks. Breathe deep, realize this is a good team that played 40 minutes of bad hockey, and relax. Nobody makes panic moves after the first game of the season.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  I couldn't agree more.

They'll be better. Much better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Live from Springfield, it's the Max Sauve Show!:
    [QUOTE]Just got back from the P-Bruins vs. the Falcons. Providence wins, 6-5. Some thoughts (I wasn't taking notes or anything, so this is a bit scattered): As the score might indicate, it was a very exciting game. Lots of end-to-end rushes, odd-man breaks, standout plays, defensive breakdowns. Certainly not a clean game from a hockey purist's POV, but fun to watch. Providence jumped out to a 3-0 lead halfway through the first period thanks to not one, but two of the juciest rebounds I have ever seen (you might as well have set the puck up on a tee; Sauve and McDonald were the beneficiaries), and also a perfect drop pass from Smotherman for Kampfer in the slot. They led 6-3 before giving up two late goals (the last with one minute left and the Springfield goalie pulled) but held on in the end. Exciting stuff. Speaking of fun to watch, that was Sauve. His second goal was amazing - he outraced a Springfield defenseman to corral the puck in the offensive zone, did something like two and a half pirouettes, and, just as I thought he was going to shovel a backhander on goal, completed the third pirouette and scored on a forehand shot from the left circle. He completed the hat trick in the third period by darting into the slot from the side boards, just knifing through the defense. They couldn't lay a glove on him. But Sauve isn't one-dimensional; he's not one of those guys who's hanging around on the blue line waiting for a breakout pass. He was conscious of his defensive responsibillities and made some solid defensive plays as well. Of course, this is the AHL, and it's a lot easier to dance around AHL defensemen than NHL defensemen. But if he keeps working hard, Sauve could certainly give the Bruins some real depth at wing. Other notes: Hamill played pretty well. He's centering Sauve and Reich; the second line is Colborne centering Arniel and LoVecchio. Hamill wasn't afraid to bang in the corners and go to the net, and did a solid job of feeding Sauve. They seem to be a solid combination. At one point Hamill got rocked into the boards pretty good, and I could see him take the guy's number and later in his shift rattle him in return with an open-ice hit. That was good to see. Speaking of Hamill, he's sporting one of the "A"s -- Bodnarchuk has the other. Reich, as expected, is wearing the "C." Colborne showed some nice flashes but he's still a bit tentative and has a lot to learn. The raw skill is certainly there; he's got to learn what to do with it. He still looks very young. Alexandrov, as I've noted before, has very nice stick skills and displayed them again tonight. However, he doesn't know how to play the body very well, and it shows, as he got outmuscled and outskated at times. To his credit, he's obviously working hard and concentrating on learning. I have renewed sympathy for him, as I know how hard it must be. Hutchinson played in goal and was OK -- he didn't have to make any huge saves, and his defenders were pretty good at giving him clear looks at the puck. Again, it's the AHL, and he was helped by the fact that a few times when he was dead to rights the Falcons missed the net. That reminds me -- Wild made one outstanding play after a Springfield forward broke in alone. Wild appeared to be out of the play, but somehow recovered, dropped to one knee and blocked a shot in the slot that loooked to be a sure goal. Overall I'd have to say it was obviously early in the season as both teams looked a bit disjointed at times, then at others in perfect sync. It'll be fun to watch Providence's progression over the next few months as the kids get their legs under themselves and start learning and working together.  That's about all I can think of for now.   
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Thanks Duinne, I might be watching lots of Providence this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks Duinne!  Nicely done. The learning curve for the team will be interesting to watch, I agree.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Really appreciate updates like this. This is a good post, but the one where you posted that film noire was by far the best. I've watched it like a million times since then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Really appreciate updates like this. This is a good post, but the one where you posted that film noire was by far the best. I've watched it like a million times since then.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

LOL, so have I. I just keep thinking the inspiration had to be the fact that Mark Recchi is perfect in a fedora. ;-)

I hope I can see Providence again a time or three this season. It's difficult with my schedule, but if I do, I'll be sure to post about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Thx Duinne...one of the best written pieces I've read in a while...I love hearing about the farm...Keep it up!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks Duinne, great to hear the recap.  Sauve was one of the guys I got really excited about this summer and since the Bruins seem to lack speed with Sturm out of the lineup, it is nice to know there is some prosmising wheels on the farm.  I hope to see Sauve in Boston some time this year, even if it is just covering an injury for a couple nights.